PDA

View Full Version : Tanier: Manning's passing records matter

VonDoom
11-12-2015, 09:30 AM
Quarterback statistical achievements make us uncomfortable. We're conditioned to think of them as consolation prizes for quarterbacks who generate gobs of yardage but don't win (or rarely win) Super Bowls. We downplay passing records at best, denigrate those who set them at worst. There's even a dirty word to sling around in arguments: stat compiler. Your guy was busy chasing personal glory while our guy was winning a ring. Grind that narrative wheel hard enough and an all-time passing record can be honed into a mark of selfishness instead of greatness.

It's ridiculous. Manning is breaking one of the most prestigious records in American sports Sunday. It's a mark that has been passed from undisputed Hall of Famer to undisputed Hall of Famer since professional football rose to prominence. Manning is further cementing his status as one of the titans of professional sports history. We shouldn't act like he is grubbing after some kind of runner-up trophy.

Manning is poised to break Favre's record for wins by a starting quarterback, soon if not Sunday. He already holds the touchdown record and some benchmarks for "clutch" performance: the all-time game-winning drive and fourth-quarter comeback records defined for Pro Football Reference by writer/researcher Scott Kacsmar. The numbers paint a vivid picture of who Manning is, and who he is not. (Choke artist. Also-ran. Stat compiler.)

Ah, but records are fleeting, say the trophy case curators. Records are inevitably broken, sometimes within a few years. Championships are eternal.

Conversely, championships represent single events. Passing records represent long-term commitments. Sports fandom is about moments that feel transcendent and connect us with something greater. Championships are the most significant of such moments, but there are others: playoff wins, epic comebacks, record-breaking performances and ordinary Sundays when friends can share high-fives over touchdowns and toast a win. When Manning breaks Favre's passing record, it will represent greatness that accompanied us through autumn Sundays for a generation.

But does it measure up to Tom Brady's four Super Bowl rings? Who cares? Greatest is not an either-or proposition. One person's success does not have to come at another's expense.

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2588322-peyton-mannings-passing-records-matter-no-matter-what-the-haters-say

Northman
11-12-2015, 11:46 AM
Records are nice and a bonus but championships are what its all about for me as a fan.

Ravage!!!
11-12-2015, 12:36 PM
Records are nice and a bonus but championships are what its all about for me as a fan.

Yeah.. but that's because the fans aren't putting in the hard work and grind, and doing what they can to be the best at what they do against the history of the greatest to play. Having those records, is an individual accomplishment that records your stance throughout your entire career. I absolutely get why records are important to a player.

Northman
11-12-2015, 12:44 PM
Yeah.. but that's because the fans aren't putting in the hard work and grind, and doing what they can to be the best at what they do against the history of the greatest to play. Having those records, is an individual accomplishment that records your stance throughout your entire career. I absolutely get why records are important to a player.

I get why records are important to players but i also think many of them would still prefer a ring to personal stats. I know i would.

Ravage!!!
11-13-2015, 10:50 AM
I get why records are important to players but i also think many of them would still prefer a ring to personal stats. I know i would.

Yeah.. but Manning has a ring. I mean, Dilfer has a ring, and so does Brad Johnson. Marino doesn't. So would Marino dump all his accomplishments to have a ring? Not sure, as I know that those records Marino held were important to him, just as they were/are important to any player. However, on the flip side, records will always be broken where as you will always have your ring. He has said he would, but that's because he is right now the "greatest player that never won." So woudl he trade that to "just another guy that won, but wasn't at the top of his position?" It's easy to say when you aren't taking the other away, because he's always criticized for not having a ring..thus, he feels its the one thing he would trade it all for.

I guess when it comes down to it... the ADDED records that go along with having a ring are pretty important. Can never take away his Championship ring nor his three SUper Bowl appearances, and he'll be the most prolific QB in NFL history at nearly every category. Bet he would take the win against the Colts over getting within 3 of the record, however.

silkamilkamonico
11-13-2015, 11:06 AM
Records are nice and I think they matter. Otherwise organizations would just have disappointment, after disappointment, after disappointment, after disappointment, after disappointment, after disappointment, after disappointment, etc.

There has to be something else and it's guys like Manning, and records, that keeps teams like the Broncos on top of the fanbases which in turn puts money and pride back into the organizations so they can continue to go out and get guys like Peyton Manning, and Demarcus Ware, and other high profile free agents wanting to play for organizations that matter. Records mean organizations and teams are competitive and keep them mattering.

Yashahla17
11-14-2015, 09:32 PM
Records matter but they'll always be 2nd,place to the glory of winning championships. Being the best regular season quarterback ever is an accomplishment and a great one, as manning is. He's just done and the only glory he has left is his records. I just wish he was on another team chasing records glory while being finished physical and mental.

Simple Jaded
11-14-2015, 11:43 PM
I bet Osweiler hopes he looks this finished physically and mentally if he ever gets to play.

Yashahla17
11-14-2015, 11:49 PM
When hes 40 years old brock will be finished as well.

Yashahla17
11-14-2015, 11:50 PM
Or on the brink of being finished because brady is still effective due to not being physically finished at 40. Once his arm start dying hes done too.

Simple Jaded
11-15-2015, 12:09 AM
When hes 40 years old brock will be finished as well.

Perhaps, but I'm talking about from Day One as a starter, you'll be lucky if he's half this good.

Ravage!!!
11-15-2015, 12:13 PM
Records matter but they'll always be 2nd,place to the glory of winning championships. Being the best regular season quarterback ever is an accomplishment and a great one, as manning is. He's just done and the only glory he has left is his records. I just wish he was on another team chasing records glory while being finished physical and mental.

It's why Dilfer is considered to be better than Marino, and Ryien is considered better than Tarkenton, and why Williams is considered better than Fouts. If ONLY Manning had won a Super Bowl in his career!!!

Valar Morghulis
11-15-2015, 12:41 PM
It's why Dilfer is considered to be better than Marino

Do people really think that?

Northman
11-15-2015, 01:57 PM

Not anyone sane.

VonDoom
11-15-2015, 02:04 PM

I believe Rav was being sarcastic

Valar Morghulis
11-15-2015, 04:18 PM
I believe Rav was being sarcastic

ah right - have not been following the whole thread - i just saw that statement and thought wtf!!

slim
11-15-2015, 06:14 PM
They matter more than wins!

tripp
11-15-2015, 08:02 PM
Records are nice for the individual player. Meaningless to us fans. I'll never find myself in a conversation with someone where I will point out Peyton breaking the passing record as a Bronco.

Northman
11-15-2015, 08:06 PM
Records are nice for the individual player. Meaningless to us fans. I'll never find myself in a conversation with someone where I will point out Peyton breaking the passing record as a Bronco.

Same here. They are nice but it will always be about winning the ballgames.

BroncoJoe
11-16-2015, 01:26 PM
Well, when Elway retired I did brag that (at the time) he was the winningest QB in history.

Al Wilson 4 Mayor
11-21-2015, 04:06 PM

It mattered to me whin TD broke 2k yards and set the Broncos single season rushing record. It mattered to me when Rod Smith broke the record for yards by a FA receiver.

Al Wilson 4 Mayor
11-21-2015, 04:07 PM
It also was a big deal when Brandon Marshall set the record for police calls in a single season....well done Brandon, dem' hoes gotta learn.

I Eat Staples
11-21-2015, 05:23 PM

It's different for everyone. I personally care about records as a fan, and I certainly will brag about our passing and scoring records in 2013.

Northman
11-21-2015, 05:33 PM
Personal records only mean something to me when we get them along with trophy. With TD it was easy to brag because we had a couple of championships to go with it. Bragging about Manning's passing record will ring a little hollow after getting destroyed by the Hawks in the game that actually mattered the most to me as a fan.