PDA

View Full Version : Pagano on Denver's defense

BroncoWave
11-04-2015, 06:41 PM
This was a quote from Pagano from his presser today about our defense:

"when you put tape on they are very reminiscent of 2000 Ravens. Talent on all levels."

You expect coaches to talk up their opponents during the week, but this is some pretty high praise. First time we have actually heard someone outside of Broncos fans make this comparison.

DenBronx
11-04-2015, 06:53 PM
That's his copout when Denver smashes their shit up into their throats. He will be fired after this game.

Cugel
11-04-2015, 06:54 PM
This was a quote from Pagano from his presser today about our defense:

"when you put tape on they are very reminiscent of 2000 Ravens. Talent on all levels."

You expect coaches to talk up their opponents during the week, but this is some pretty high praise. First time we have actually heard someone outside of Broncos fans make this comparison.

Well, the Ravens defense gave up 165 points over a 16 week season (10.4 ppg), and the Broncos are on pace to surrender 208 points (13 ppg), so there's a significant difference, but the Broncos are generating lots of turnovers, which is a key consideration. They're winning games on defense which is rare.

So, from that perspective perhaps the comparison isn't totally wrong. Still, the Ravens did it in the Super Bowl, and the Broncos haven't gotten to the playoffs yet. So, we'll see. Cautiously optimistic that this Broncos defense is going to rank up there with historically great defenses that win Super Bowls, but there's a long way to go.

Hawgdriver
11-04-2015, 07:09 PM
Well, the Ravens defense gave up 165 points over a 16 week season (10.4 ppg), and the Broncos are on pace to surrender 208 points (13 ppg), so there's a significant difference, but the Broncos are generating lots of turnovers, which is a key consideration. They're winning games on defense which is rare.

So, from that perspective perhaps the comparison isn't totally wrong. Still, the Ravens did it in the Super Bowl, and the Broncos haven't gotten to the playoffs yet. So, we'll see. Cautiously optimistic that this Broncos defense is going to rank up there with historically great defenses that win Super Bowls, but there's a long way to go.

Part of the significant difference might be explained by the 3 pick-6's leading to 21 points surrendered by the offense. That would put them a tad better than the Ravens D if you took that out. No idea if the Ravens offense surrendered turnover TDs that year, probably so. Something to think about.

SR
11-04-2015, 07:19 PM
Part of the significant difference might be explained by the 3 pick-6's leading to 21 points surrendered by the offense. That would put them a tad better than the Ravens D if you took that out. No idea if the Ravens offense surrendered turnover TDs that year, probably so. Something to think about.

I don't understand why offensive turnovers for touchdowns count against the defense for the life of me.

LawDog
11-04-2015, 07:54 PM
I don't understand why offensive turnovers for touchdowns count against the defense for the life of me.

165 is the total points allowed by the Ravens in 2000. Pick six points, fumbles returned for TD, kickoff and punt returns for TD are all included in that number. I think what Hawg is saying is that the 165 total points given up in 2000 may have all been against the D, or could have included points off turnovers, but the Broncos so far this year have given up at least 21 points while the D wasn't even on the field...

Foochacho
11-04-2015, 08:01 PM
The Ravens had a great running game to eat up the clock. I am sure the time of possession numbers were in their favor while our defense has had to spend a lot of time on the field. We had no running game to speak of most of this year.

CrazyHorse
11-04-2015, 10:00 PM
What's the over/under prop bet on Luck's interceptions?

SR
11-04-2015, 10:14 PM
What's the over/under prop bet on Luck's interceptions?

I'm going to say he has his best game of the entire season Sunday and throws for 300 with three touchdowns and zero picks.

Hawgdriver
11-04-2015, 11:18 PM
165 is the total points allowed by the Ravens in 2000. Pick six points, fumbles returned for TD, kickoff and punt returns for TD are all included in that number. I think what Hawg is saying is that the 165 total points given up in 2000 may have all been against the D, or could have included points off turnovers, but the Broncos so far this year have given up at least 21 points while the D wasn't even on the field...

Thanks, better than I explained it.

DenBronx
11-04-2015, 11:41 PM

Makes sense. Mannings pick 6s havent helped that out. I think our defense can at least be in the conversation with that Ravens defense. If our offense continues to get better then the other teams are in some serious caca.

Al Wilson 4 Mayor
11-05-2015, 12:50 AM
I'm going to say he has his best game of the entire season Sunday and throws for 300 with three touchdowns and zero picks.

And 60 yards rushing with a rushing TD.