PDA

View Full Version : Denver through Green Bays Eyes: Packers Websites "Scouting Report" on the Broncos

Joel
11-01-2015, 06:13 PM
My phone was the only place I got the video to work through the site (and only ONCE) so I just opened up the elements and copied it from there, which seems to work:

http://prod.video.packers.clubs.nfl.com//GB/videos/dct/video_audio/2015/10-October/151101-packers-today-broncos-scouting-report-500k.mp4

I "They're 6-0, right?​

After opening obligatory observations that "HoFer Peyton Manning isn't PLAYING like HoFer Peyton Manning," the Packers said (at least publicly) they still fully respect the Broncos, and Manning in particular. Clay Matthews declared,

The reality is, WHEN HE'S GOT TIME IN THE POCKET, he can step up and HE CAN MAKE EVERY THROW. A lot of people question his arm strength, but that's not something we're buying into, because WE'VE SEEN SOME THROWS OUT THERE THAT ARE PEYTON-MANNINGESQUE.

Emphasis added by our line (merely capitalized by me:) EACH bad pass clip shows an UNBLOCKED tackler barrelling down on Manning at the throw. Speaking of our line....

II "OTHER THAN MANNING, the Broncos are a mixed bag offensively."

"Demaryius Thomas and Emmanuel Sanders are the real deal at WR, but THEIR RUNNING GAME AND OFFENSIVE LINE ARE RATHER ORDINARY." Caps again mine: Emphasis again GREEN BAYS. At least the Packers beat guy was kind enough not to mention Anderson led the league in rushing the last half of last year, but has since gone from Pro Bowl backup to mere backup as our line found an impossible way to regress from what was already a terrible unit in 2014.

The middle section closes by calling the ZBS' trademark cut blocks one of our lines few strengths, with a Packer DT saying they're aware, but can't play scared.

III "While the Packers rank #1 in scoring defense, the Broncos are #1 in almost everything else."

After giving due credit to Miller, Ware and Talib (without mentioning Harris) the commentator observes "In all six of their victories, the Broncos have come up with a late takeway that proved pivotal in the win. The key for the Packers may be as basic as hanging onto the football.... The Packers have LOST THE BALL JUST FOUR TIMES THIS SEASON: That's the SECOND FEWEST TURNOVERS IN THE NFL." The video doesn't say it, but we're 23rd (i.e. bottom ten.)

Thus one could thus argue turnovers (or lack thereof) have been decisive for BOTH teams to date, and will likely remain so. Anyone who knows anything about football knows running's the best way to avoid, and passing's most likely to cause, turnovers: That GB's also #3 in NFL rushing average, while we're 31st, bodes ill for us. They can (and should) avoid confronting the NFLs best secondary (with THREE Pro Bowlers,) a pair of All Pro pass rushers and good coverage LBs; we have no such alternative.

Our best (but still not easy) shot defensively is to FORCE that confrontation by stopping the run, then WIN it, which we're capable of (#3 DEFENSIVE rushing average.) However, our fast-but-small D is likely to tire quickly unless kept fresh by our OWN run game sustaining drives. We can't afford to yet again expect Manning to singlehandedly carry the offense behind a sieve-like line that neither protects him on passes nor supports him with runs.

There's a reason we're the NFLs most blitzed team, and it's NOT that teams don't fear Manning: It's because he's ALL they fear in an offense whose blockers they KNOW can't protect him long enough to make a deep pass NOR get to the outside fast enough to get good gains on screens, stretch runs or counters. It's depressing how much I agree with Green Bays assessment of us, mostly complimentary without donning orange-colored glasses, but claiming the overall advantage with good reason.

Short form

When HoF QBs with elite Ds meet, having/lacking a solid run game's often decisive. I saw a poster say GBs line's also bad, but their top 5 rushing average and giveaway ranks don't show it: Losing 2/3 starting WRs (one returns today) limited Rodgers, but they protect him enough to protect the ball, and open enough holes Starks gets yards when Lacy doesn't. If they force us to the air, they'll probably get picks; if we DON'T force them there, we probably won't. Here's hoping our line FINALLY shows up on game day.

Simple Jaded
11-02-2015, 12:41 AM
Line showed up!

Joel
11-02-2015, 01:50 AM
Line showed up!
Fer reals; my prediction was precisely correct—just for the wrong TEAMS. I'm OK with this. :)

Also: They only led us by a SINGLE point in PA; a net of 19 was more than enough to make us #1 in that category, too. Against AFR, of all people.