PDA

View Full Version : Terrell Davis knows the mark of a champion -- and he sees that potential in the 2015 Broncos

Denver Native (Carol)
10-26-2015, 01:04 PM
Terrell Davis knows how to win. And he knows what winners look like.

His trophy case includes two Super Bowl rings, a Super Bowl Most Valuable Player award and NFL MVP and Offensive Player of the Year awards. He is the Broncos’ all-time leading rusher with 7,607 yards and is a member of the Ring of Fame.

But when he thinks back to his years as a Bronco and all the success he was a part of, when he thinks about what the fans and the organization mean to him, he remembers December 27, 1998.

It was the final game of the regular season. The opponent was Seattle, and the number was 170.

Davis needed 170 yards to become the fourth running back in NFL history to eclipse the 2,000-yard rushing mark in a single season.

rest, plus videos and photos
http://www.denverbroncos.com/news-and-blogs/article-1/Terrell-Davis-knows-the-mark-of-a-champion----and-he-sees-that-potential-in-the-2015-Broncos/38a86e1a-66cb-4360-bc4a-dfc56a8b19f3

Denver Native (Carol)
10-26-2015, 01:07 PM
from same article:

Davis does see the mistakes and areas where improvement is needed, but he also points to what he knows best – the intangible characteristics of a winning team.

“The thing that I like is how they're winning. It's not pretty, but the fact that they're still winning games – to me, that's the mark of a champion," he says. "The mark of a champion is not making excuses that hey, we're not 100 percent. However, they're finding ways to win. Whether the defense has to pick up the slack for the offense or vice versa, they're finding a way to win.

"That's the mark of a champion for me. I like that, because there is no quit in them. If you can win ugly and when you don't have your best stuff, all that does is just breed confidence that when we finally figure this thing out, we're going to be dangerous.”

Davis doesn't say "we" by accident. His memories are strong and fond. His connection to the organization is indelible and forever branded on his heart. No one knows better about what constitutes a championship-worthy Broncos team. It's not just about talent, but tenacity, resourcefulness and resilience.

http://www.denverbroncos.com/news-and-blogs/article-1/Terrell-Davis-knows-the-mark-of-a-champion----and-he-sees-that-potential-in-the-2015-Broncos/38a86e1a-66cb-4360-bc4a-dfc56a8b19f3

Northman
10-26-2015, 03:19 PM
Encouraging words for sure, but i always felt more confident in the teams he was on than the one we currently have going. At least offensively.

G_Money
10-26-2015, 03:38 PM
Encouraging words for sure, but i always felt more confident in the teams he was on than the one we currently have going. At least offensively.

His teams had huge amounts of talent on defense but also a juggernaut offense. Our offense is last at everything (except allowing the other team's defense to score, anyway). JOHN might not have a great game, but the OFFENSE was going to be successful. We get 2 ypc while Manning is the worst QB in the league and the OL is in shambles. We're not gonna be champions unless some of that clears up in the next 2 months. A great defense can do a lot, but it can't do EVERYTHING - despite what the 6-0 start would indicate.

Northman
10-26-2015, 03:46 PM
His teams had huge amounts of talent on defense but also a juggernaut offense. Our offense is last at everything (except allowing the other team's defense to score, anyway). JOHN might not have a great game, but the OFFENSE was going to be successful. We get 2 ypc while Manning is the worst QB in the league and the OL is in shambles. We're not gonna be champions unless some of that clears up in the next 2 months. A great defense can do a lot, but it can't do EVERYTHING - despite what the 6-0 start would indicate.

Agreed.

Yashahla17
10-27-2015, 02:46 AM

Agreed. O line starting to play okay though. So there is some hope.

Joel
10-27-2015, 12:28 PM
Agreed. O line starting to play okay though. So there is some hope.
It's better inside, but still not great, and still awful outside. Hopefully a healthy Sambrailo helps, but he's still a rookie blindside protector who'll get schooled by every elite pass rusher in the league. Let's be honest with ourselves and each other: If publicly asked, the ORIGINAL TD would surely say Dallas has all a champions hallmarks, too, but no one objective would. Fluff piece iz warm, fuzzy and comforting, but also fairly empty.

OrangeFanatic
10-27-2015, 01:07 PM
...A great defense can do a lot, but it can't do EVERYTHING - despite what the 6-0 start would indicate...

We would be 3-3 or worse without complete luck.

NightTerror218
10-27-2015, 01:36 PM
We would be 3-3 or worse without complete luck.

Complete luck? How so? Defense made plays when opposite offense was forcing it.

Not like a FG was blocked by a bird to cause us a win. Or some amazing how catch by a TE with his knees as he is falling.

Defense got sacks, made plays on the ball for ints. This is not sustainable but it is more than luck it is skill and play calls.

BroncoJoe
10-27-2015, 01:40 PM
Complete luck? How so? Defense made plays when opposite offense was forcing it.

Not like a FG was blocked by a bird to cause us a win. Or some amazing how catch by a TE with his knees as he is falling.

Defense got sacks, made plays on the ball for ints. This is not sustainable but it is more than luck it is skill and play calls.

I HATE the "luck" reference.

BroncoWave
10-27-2015, 05:08 PM
I think those late 90s team would beat this one handily. I admire TD's optimism for this team, but I don't think this one is really comparable.