PDA

View Full Version : Coming back to Denver after 24 years!

Reidman
10-19-2015, 07:59 PM
Ok, so it's just for a visit but I'm stoked none-the-less. And I couldn't have picked a better game...Broncos and Packers on Sunday night...the battle of undefeateds! Oh and it's for my bday...the big 4-0

So me and my girlfriend will be there for a few days and we're looking for stuff to do. It's been so long I honestly don't remember and I'm sure the city has changed a lot. We are already planning on a stadium tour. I was going to book a horse carriage ride (gf wanted it) but read some bad reviews for the Irish Rose company.

So I turn to the good people of Broncos Forums for advice on places to eat, things to do, tailgate parties, etc. We are staying at the Warwick next to the 16th St mall, arriving on the 29th and leaving the 3rd... Oh, and despite me living there for 6 yrs, this will be my first Broncos game! I'm so pumped, this will be longest two weeks ever!

:beer:

MasterShake
10-19-2015, 10:03 PM
Welcome back! Well for a little bit anyway...

There are some good places to eat on 16th street mall. Some are chains (like Rock Bottom and The Yard House) but are still very good. For breakfast or lunch you have to hit up Sams #3 at least once, its right off 15th and Curtis and has some great diner food. Also if you are just looking for cheaper lunch options places like Illegal Petes (think Chipotle but better) is near the end of the mall.

If you get a chance another place to check out is the historic Market in Larimer Square: http://themarketatlarimer.com I know natives that have never been to this place! I always go there for breakfast on Saturday while my son is in a class at the performing arts center. Great coffee and tea!

As far as gameday you can always hit up Mile High Station which is just across from Mile High Stadium. They do a Broncos Bash before every home game. It gets pretty crowded but if you give yourself enough time you can get some good food and beer before the game: http://milehighstation.com/broncos-events.php

If you are looking for some more places off 16th Street let me know, but you are in walking distance to some cool stuff! Just take the shuttle up and down and be sure to hit up both 15th and 17th to find some hidden gems as far as shops and food goes. The Pavilions is also pretty fun and has a movie theater and bowling alley, but can be a bit pricey. Have a great time!

NightTrainLayne
10-19-2015, 10:10 PM
Wow. Long time no see Reidman. Good to see you here.

Reidman
10-19-2015, 10:43 PM
Sweet, I will check out some of those places. I didn't plan on renting a car but I might have to, to go visit areas like Boulder, Coal Creek, Nederland... Was wondering though if Uber operates there...or at the very least a shuttle, to and from Sports authority..

Thanks NTL... I've been very busy with work and family...also split and divorced a few years back but met an awesome lady and I'm introducing her to the greatest team and state on the planet!

Pudge
10-20-2015, 12:09 AM
Welcome back! Well for a little bit anyway...

There are some good places to eat on 16th street mall. Some are chains (like Rock Bottom and The Yard House) but are still very good. For breakfast or lunch you have to hit up Sams #3 at least once, its right off 15th and Curtis and has some great diner food. Also if you are just looking for cheaper lunch options places like Illegal Petes (think Chipotle but better) is near the end of the mall.

If you get a chance another place to check out is the historic Market in Larimer Square: http://themarketatlarimer.com I know natives that have never been to this place! I always go there for breakfast on Saturday while my son is in a class at the performing arts center. Great coffee and tea!

As far as gameday you can always hit up Mile High Station which is just across from Mile High Stadium. They do a Broncos Bash before every home game. It gets pretty crowded but if you give yourself enough time you can get some good food and beer before the game: http://milehighstation.com/broncos-events.php

If you are looking for some more places off 16th Street let me know, but you are in walking distance to some cool stuff! Just take the shuttle up and down and be sure to hit up both 15th and 17th to find some hidden gems as far as shops and food goes. The Pavilions is also pretty fun and has a movie theater and bowling alley, but can be a bit pricey. Have a great time!

I always hit up the jack n grill on federal for breakfast before tailgating. If you like green chili it's a good stop, and not too terribly far from the stadium. I usually park at nine then walk to there and back before tailgating gets ramped up. At the Vikings game I was too hungover to get an early start

SR
10-20-2015, 06:26 AM
Dear MasterShake,

I'm very disappointed you didn't suggest Falling Rock. I feel like I don't even know you these days.

Sincerely. I guess.,

SR

Good to see you Reid. My co-worker is making the trip up for the game and I'm pretty jealous of you and him. Hope you and your girl have a great time in Denver and hopefully your trip ends with a Broncos W.

MasterShake
10-20-2015, 08:50 AM
Dear MasterShake,

I'm very disappointed you didn't suggest Falling Rock. I feel like I don't even know you these days.

Sincerely. I guess.,

SR

Good to see you Reid. My co-worker is making the trip up for the game and I'm pretty jealous of you and him. Hope you and your girl have a great time in Denver and hopefully your trip ends with a Broncos W.

Falling Rock is a given SR. That is usually where I get plastered before going over to the 1up Bar next door. Geesh!

SR
10-20-2015, 10:49 AM
Falling Rock is a given SR. That is usually where I get plastered before going over to the 1up Bar next door. Geesh!

That's the video game place?

Reidman
10-20-2015, 12:24 PM
A given for locals maybe...what is Falling Rock? What good brewpubs are around? I love Colorado beer!

SR
10-20-2015, 12:49 PM
A given for locals maybe...what is Falling Rock? What good brewpubs are around? I love Colorado beer!

Falling Rock Tap House. Google that shit NOW. I had the privilege of meeting Shake, Pola and her husband, BroncoJoe, and dogfish there a couple years ago. Had a great time. Awesome food and even awesomer beer.

BroncoJoe
10-20-2015, 01:07 PM
Falling Rock Tap House. Google that shit NOW. I had the privilege of meeting Shake, Pola and her husband, BroncoJoe, and dogfish there a couple years ago. Had a great time. Awesome food and even awesomer beer.

I had a Bud Light Lime.

j/k - I don't remember what I had, but it was good.

slim
10-20-2015, 01:11 PM
You should buy some weed.

Valar Morghulis
10-20-2015, 01:41 PM

This is a general statement that applies to everyone at all times

Pudge
10-20-2015, 01:42 PM

I got drunk and went into a dispensary a couple days ago and bought some granola bar things. The next morning I woke up and found them and thought what the **** was I thinking and threw them away.

slim
10-20-2015, 01:57 PM
I got drunk and went into a dispensary a couple days ago and bought some granola bar things. The next morning I woke up and found them and thought what the **** was I thinking and threw them away.

I have never been to a dispensary.

SR
10-20-2015, 01:58 PM
I had a Bud Light Lime. j/k - I don't remember what I had, but it was good.

I forbade you from drinking piss beer in my presence. I don't remember what you had either but it was probably good. I remember what I had. Weird.

Valar Morghulis
10-20-2015, 02:06 PM
I strongly recommend taking your life in your hands and get a bike taxi from the 16th street mall to the stadium.
Those maniacs jump red lights and all sorts.
Quite expensive but worth haggling.

Also, red rocks was as magical a place as I have ever visited.

And the twisted kilt has some really good big screens that is worth seeing......

Al Wilson 4 Mayor
10-20-2015, 02:39 PM
I strongly recommend taking your life in your hands and get a bike taxi from the 16th street mall to the stadium.
Those maniacs jump red lights and all sorts.
Quite expensive but worth haggling.

Also, red rocks was as magical a place as I have ever visited.

And the twisted kilt has some really good big screens that is worth seeing......

Dave went to the Twisted Kilt to check out the big screens.

Mmm-hmmm

Denver Native (Carol)
10-20-2015, 03:17 PM
:hi: Reidman - Great to see your post on here, and great that you and your gf will be coming to Denver. Hope you have a great trip. Denver has definitely changed quite a bit. GO BRONCOS

Reidman
10-20-2015, 08:10 PM
Lol...I live in Washington state so buying weed at a shop isn't a novelty except that maybe Denver has better prices and variety. I'm more interested in the breweries and great food, both of which I know the city has a lot to offer.

And no thanks on the bike taxi lol...I'll take a regular cab and live to see the game...

Thanks for the replies so far... This is seriously going to be one of the greatest moments in my life...I might actually shed a tear upon seeing the stadium and field before me...

BroncoWave
10-20-2015, 08:17 PM
I strongly recommend taking your life

Harsh, Dave!

Denver Native (Carol)
10-21-2015, 07:33 PM
Special Homecoming Weekend rates available for Broncos fans at Omni Interlocken Resort
ENGLEWOOD, Colo. — The Denver Broncos will host several alumni, including members of their first Super Bowl championship team from 1997, for the club’s Sunday Night Football game against the Green Bay Packers on Nov. 1 to celebrate Owner Pat Bowlen’s Ring of Fame induction and Homecoming Weekend.

Beginning on Thursday, Oct. 29, Broncos alumni will partake in several events during a four-day span. These functions include a group lunch at Sports Authority Field at Mile High, a barbecue with select season-ticket members who have been with the club since 1997, an alumni golf outing and Mr. Bowlen’s Ring of Fame dinner and induction.

“We are delighted to welcome back so many of our great alumni who mean so much to Mr. Bowlen and this organization,” Broncos President and CEO Joe Ellis said. “The Broncos’ alumni have always been very important to Mr. B, and we look forward to having them in town to be part of this special weekend.”

rest - http://www.denverbroncos.com/news-and-blogs/article-1/Broncos-to-Host-Ring-of-Famers-and-many-Alumni-for-Owner-Pat-Bowlens-Ring-of-Fame-Induction/0a413818-07bf-4920-a1fe-ba7da5a6e444

You picked a good one to come to Reid - I would assume The alumni will be at the game and introduced to the crowd

BroncoJoe
10-22-2015, 06:56 AM
I wonder if Bowlen will make an appearance. That'd be cool, but I doubt it.

Reidman
10-22-2015, 08:03 AM
rest - http://www.denverbroncos.com/news-and-blogs/article-1/Broncos-to-Host-Ring-of-Famers-and-many-Alumni-for-Owner-Pat-Bowlens-Ring-of-Fame-Induction/0a413818-07bf-4920-a1fe-ba7da5a6e444

You picked a good one to come to Reid - I would assume The alumni will be at the game and introduced to the crowd

Oh yes, I read about that last month. Funny thing is, it was a toss up between this game and the game vs Pats but since that was so close to Thanksgiving, I didn't really want to be travelling... guess I lucked out!

Denver Native (Carol)
11-02-2015, 02:01 PM
Hey Reid - when you have time, let us know how things went for you and your gf. What it was like to be able to be at the game, what your thoughts on Denver are after 24 years away, etc.