PDA

View Full Version : Do you think Brock Osweiler will start a game this season?

BroncoWave
10-19-2015, 01:29 PM
Pretty simple, straightfoward question. This is not a "should we bench Manning" or an "is Osweiler better than Manning" thread. This is just a prediction thread on what you actually think will take place this season. Be it injury, performance, locking up homefield, whatever it is, do you guys think Brock Osweiler will start at least one game for the Broncos this season?

Yashahla17
10-19-2015, 01:32 PM
The coaches and front office don't have the guts to sit manning. So no well just have to deal with a worse qb than Tebow because his names manning and our staff has no guts.

Yashahla17
10-19-2015, 01:33 PM
Unless manning is carted off Brock won't play.

tripp
10-19-2015, 01:36 PM
Week 17 when the game doesn't matter.

blamkin86
10-19-2015, 02:03 PM
No.

Dapper Dan
10-19-2015, 02:06 PM
Yes, due to injury.

ChairmanBron
10-19-2015, 02:20 PM

^^^^ This..

Yashahla17
10-19-2015, 02:26 PM
Week 17 when the game doesn't matter says who? This team is primed to go on a large skid.

I Eat Staples
10-19-2015, 03:06 PM
Week 17 when the game doesn't matter says who? This team is primed to go on a large skid.

Says who?

BroncoJoe
10-19-2015, 03:08 PM
Cugel said no.

So it be written, so it shall be done.

slim
10-19-2015, 03:13 PM
Yes. But he will also play possum.

NightTerror218
10-19-2015, 03:14 PM
I think the last game of season I wth #3 seed secure. Division in hand.

BroncoJoe
10-19-2015, 03:15 PM
If our OL is as bad as many here want us to believe, there's no way Manning makes it through the entire season.

NightTrainLayne
10-19-2015, 03:33 PM
I answered "no". I don't predict a Manning injury.

That being said, if Manning were injured, then obviously, "yes". Who else would they start?

Absent injury to Manning, it's clearly "no".

Northman
10-19-2015, 03:44 PM
Yes, due to injury.

Yea, im really not sure if he will or not but there is just a feeling that Brock will end up starting one or maybe more due to Manning getting injured. Just a feeling.

weazel
10-19-2015, 04:03 PM
Yes, due to injury.

Yes, due to "injury"

TXBRONC
10-19-2015, 05:09 PM
Pretty simple, straightfoward question. This is not a "should we bench Manning" or an "is Osweiler better than Manning" thread. This is just a prediction thread on what you actually think will take place this season. Be it injury, performance, locking up homefield, whatever it is, do you guys think Brock Osweiler will start at least one game for the Broncos this season?

I don't think Brock will start unless Manning is hurt.

CrazyHorse
10-19-2015, 07:31 PM
ONLY if Manning gets hurt OR we get a first round bye. So no if this is based on his poor performances. If we start Brock he'll get killed like David Carr did.

wayninja
10-19-2015, 07:32 PM
If you remove meaningless games from the equation then I don't really think we will see Brock. We will wrap up the division and it won't be necessary to put Brock in.

Simple Jaded
10-19-2015, 11:29 PM
I got some popcorn on the ready if he does start a game.

TimHippo
10-19-2015, 11:57 PM
I hope he does get a start because his poor performance will shut up all the Manning haters.

Al Wilson 4 Mayor
10-20-2015, 12:05 AM
I got some popcorn on the ready if he does start a game.

Ill be having beer before I check this message board in that scenario. I hope Dave drinks heavily and posts on that occasion. His accent gets really thick when he's been drinking.

sneakers
10-20-2015, 05:47 AM

Implying that going after a 16-0 record in week 17 doesn't matter

OrangeHoof
10-20-2015, 09:17 AM
Yes, I think Oz will start but it will be because of injury, not because they think Peyton is washed up. Manning is taking more hits this year than I've ever recalled.

Ravage!!!
10-20-2015, 10:00 AM
Brock won't start a game this season...UNLESS Manning is injured. This teams is going to ride Manning, and its the right decision. As some have mentioned, we might see a week or 2 at the end of the year before the playoffs.

But barring injury, this is Manning's team this year.

Al Wilson 4 Mayor
10-20-2015, 10:13 AM
Brock won't start a game this season...UNLESS Manning is injured. This teams is going to ride Manning, and its the right decision. As some have mentioned, we might see a week or 2 at the end of the year before the playoffs.

But barring injury, this is Manning's team this year.

Agreed

BroncoWave
10-20-2015, 11:01 AM
Here's another hypothetical. Let's say we go into a massive tailspin and lose like 6 or 7 games in a row and fall out of the division lead and Manning continues to regress. Anyone think he'd get pulled in that scenario?

Al Wilson 4 Mayor
10-20-2015, 11:02 AM
Here's another hypothetical. Let's say we go into a massive tailspin and lose like 6 or 7 games in a row and fall out of the division lead and Manning continues to regress. Anyone think he'd get pulled in that scenario?

No, they won't bench him on his fairwell tour. Why didn't the Yankees bench Jeter?

Buff
10-20-2015, 11:05 AM

I have every confidence that Kubiak would yank him if he felt like Brock gave us a better chance to win. John Fox would just clap harder and offer up some cliche about how you have to go with the HOF'er.

BroncoWave
10-20-2015, 11:07 AM
No, they won't bench him on his fairwell tour. Why didn't the Yankees bench Jeter?

Jeter was a lifelong Yankee. I don't think Denver would feel the same obligation to protect Manning's legacy.

Ravage!!!
10-20-2015, 11:14 AM

There are a lot of things here. Meaning, there are so many "nuances" that will make a difference on this.

Is it because Manning is "hurting"...or some part of his body is hurting? If so, then they pull him.

If we go into a 6-7 game losing spin.. then that puts us 14 games into the season with 2 left. Are we completely out of the running, or are we still in it? If we are still in it, then do you turn the team over to a guy at this point of the season that has never started a football game, or do you stick with the Veterain that has "been there, done that." I think you stick, but at the same time, the coaches would/will have a better feel of the locker room. THAT would make a big difference. Can't put Os in there, at that situation, and the locker room feel like you just "Gave up." If they still feel Manning is their leader, then pulling him could have a much bigger negative effect than not.

However, if we are 14 weeks into the season after having a 6-7 game losing streak...and we are completely out of it .... then you go with Os. But there's another sticking point. With this division, we won't be out of it with a 7 game losing streak.

Now lets sy we go into a 6 game losing streak and still ahve 25% of the season left and we are sitting at 6-6. Because this division is so weak, I think we would stick with Manning if he is playing as he is RIGHT NOW, and not regressing. Even though he's playing poorly now, he's still making enough BIG plays to put us in positions to win. It was DT that dropped some BIG passes in the last few minutes of the game against Cleveland. Right after the big INT, Manning puts a perfect pass into the hands of Sanders for the big TD comeback. So although its poor decisions, he's still putting up the big plays when needed....and would you rely on Os to do that, right now, without having a clue on his play?

I know this...after watching the game between NE and Indy the other night...it gives me more hope for this team then I had previously.

Ravage!!!
10-20-2015, 11:14 AM
Jeter was a lifelong Yankee. I don't think Denver would feel the same obligation to protect Manning's legacy.

You don't think Elway has a connection with Manning in this manner?

Al Wilson 4 Mayor
10-20-2015, 11:15 AM

I understand why you would say that, but I disagree. John Elway and Kubes aren't going to dis a legend line that, especially if we're out of the playoff race.

BroncoWave
10-20-2015, 11:16 AM
You don't think Elway has a connection with Manning in this manner?

I don't think he would just keep trotting him out for a farewell tour of he was clearly not our best option anymore in the coaches eyes.

BroncoWave
10-20-2015, 11:18 AM
I understand why you would say that, but I disagree. John Elway and Kubes aren't going to dis a legend line that, especially if we're out of the playoff race.

If we were eliminated from the playoffs with games to play, it would be negligent not to put Brock in IMO. If we can get a chance to see what he has without worrying about the playoffs we have to do it. Manning's legacy is not more important than the future of the franchise.

Ravage!!!
10-20-2015, 11:22 AM
I don't think he would just keep trotting him out for a farewell tour of he was clearly not our best option anymore in the coaches eyes.

I'll disagree. I think that Elway would talk with Manning, and if Manning wanted to finish out the season, then Manning would finish out the season. Elway will not embarrass Manning, and will not tarnish his career by "pulling" him. He just won't. He has tooooooo much respect for Manning to do that. If we are talking about a situation where we are OUT of the playoffs and have games left to play, then that's nto pulling Manning because of his play, but to evaluate a player. That would be different and I would agree with you that Elway would probably COULD put Os in. However, again, I think that the disucussion between Manning and Elway happens so that Elway could/would hear what Manning wanted to do.

Al Wilson 4 Mayor
10-20-2015, 11:24 AM
If we were eliminated from the playoffs with games to play, it would be negligent not to put Brock in IMO. If we can get a chance to see what he has without worrying about the playoffs we have to do it. Manning's legacy is not more important than the future of the franchise.

Maybe, maybe so, but this isn't a good QB with a good career. This is one of the goats.

Brock has sat for 4 years. 2 or 3 games won't make that much of a difference.

Buff
10-20-2015, 11:26 AM
I certainly hope Elway and Kubiak are not nearly as emotional about this as you guys are assuming. That would border on negligent mismanagement.

Ravage!!!
10-20-2015, 11:29 AM
I certainly hope Elway and Kubiak are not nearly as emotional about this as you guys are assuming. That would border on negligent mismanagement.

I don't think it would be, at all.

I think coaches and management understand respect is a big part of the game. Elway has been in Manning's shoes, in more ways than just one. Elway certainly heard all the "he can'g win the big game" comments for most of his career. He's been in Manning's shoes, and knows that a player of THAT kind of caliber, and class, won't get disrespect.

Sometimes, businessmen put "what is right" above the corporate dollar. Elway knows, that, too.

Northman
10-20-2015, 11:31 AM
Maybe, maybe so, but this isn't a good QB with a good career. This is one of the goats.

Brock has sat for 4 years. 2 or 3 games won't make that much of a difference.

Not sure about that honestly. If the organization wants to see what he has and whether they want to continue with him before extending is contract that would actually be the BEST time to evaluate what he could do in live game situations. Chances are Manning would simply pull himself if he knew that he just didnt have anything left in the gas tank. I dont think Manning would insult the fanbase by continuing to hurt the team when he simply wasnt playing well just for records. I personally would be pissed if we wasted a chance to evaluate Oz just for the sake of a legend getting records. There is just much more at stake than the here and now with this team.

Northman
10-20-2015, 11:33 AM

I think coaches and management understand respect is a big part of the game. Elway has been in Manning's shoes, in more ways than just one. Elway certainly heard all the "he can'g win the big game" comments for most of his career. He's been in Manning's shoes, and knows that a player of THAT kind of caliber, and class, won't get disrespect.

Sometimes, businessmen put "what is right" above the corporate dollar. Elway knows, that, too.

Elways case was way different. Both he and the team were playing their best football when he decided to leave the game. Right now Manning is not playing his best.

Buff
10-20-2015, 11:33 AM

He also cut Manning's pay for not getting the job done. I just don't think there is any room for sentimental decisions in today's NFL - too much on the line with every game. The second a player stops being productive and not helping a team win, no matter how storied their history, it's onto the next guy.

BroncoJoe
10-20-2015, 12:01 PM
They'll never "bench him", or at least admit that. At worst, Manning will have an injury (real or otherwise) and that would be the excuse.

slim
10-20-2015, 12:03 PM

This is nonsense.

Elway has a responsibility to the entire team, not just the QB. It is his responsibility to do whatever he can to put the team in the best position to win.

If he fails at this simply so Manning can save face, then he has no business leading the team.

BroncoJoe
10-20-2015, 12:06 PM
This is nonsense.

Elway has a responsibility to the entire team, not just the QB. It is his responsibility to do whatever he can to put the team in the best position to win.

If he fails at this simply so Manning can save face, then he has no business leading the team.

Yep - his 1st responsibility is to Pat Bowlen. 2nd is to the fans, both by putting a winning product on the field.

If anything, Elway has shown zero favoritism to "popular" players that may not possess the skills to make the team better.

TimHippo
10-20-2015, 12:15 PM
Not sure about that honestly. If the organization wants to see what he has and whether they want to continue with him before extending is contract that would actually be the BEST time to evaluate what he could do in live game situations. Chances are Manning would simply pull himself if he knew that he just didnt have anything left in the gas tank. I dont think Manning would insult the fanbase by continuing to hurt the team when he simply wasnt playing well just for records. I personally would be pissed if we wasted a chance to evaluate Oz just for the sake of a legend getting records. There is just much more at stake than the here and now with this team.

Yeah, whatever you think of the slow giant Os, you need to find out what he has now because I really can't see Manning as QB next year.

BroncoJoe
10-20-2015, 12:16 PM
LOL - slow giant. I bet he is twice as fast as Manning.

TimHippo
10-20-2015, 12:18 PM
This is nonsense.

Elway has a responsibility to next year's team too. Manning will be gone for sure. If he tries to stay Elway will kindly say no thanks.

With all the other pieces in place for next year, you can't afford to have a lost year because you are looking for a competent QB. So Elway needs to go into next season knowing they have "the guy" and not during the season.

slim
10-20-2015, 12:19 PM
He is actually a really good athlete.

TimHippo
10-20-2015, 12:19 PM
LOL - slow giant. I bet he is twice as fast as Manning.

That's not really saying anything though. Anybody would have blazing speed compared to an old tree that falls down in the wind.

TimHippo
10-20-2015, 12:22 PM
He is actually a really good athlete.

Based on what?

Buff
10-20-2015, 12:24 PM
Based on what?

Slim has seen him with his shirt off.

I Eat Staples
10-20-2015, 12:26 PM
Based on what?

http://www.nfl.com/combine/profiles/brock-osweiler?id=2533436

Not sure where you're getting that he isn't athletic.

TimHippo
10-20-2015, 12:28 PM
http://www.nfl.com/combine/profiles/brock-osweiler?id=2533436

Not sure where you're getting that he isn't athletic.

LOL. That has zero combine numbers. He didn't do any of the combine drills.

slim
10-20-2015, 12:32 PM
Based on what?

I have actually watched him play and shower.

I Eat Staples
10-20-2015, 12:34 PM
LOL. That has zero combine numbers. He didn't do any of the combine drills.

They don't matter much for QBs. You judge a QB's athleticism by how well they move around in the pocket and whether or not they have the ability to escape the pocket and scramble. A QB's 40 time and bench press mean basically nothing.

Al Wilson 4 Mayor
10-20-2015, 12:35 PM
Anyone who doesn't think Oz is a good athlete has no clue what they're talking about.

He could have played basketball at Gonzaga and he ran the spread option at ASU.

TimHippo
10-20-2015, 12:35 PM
I have actually watched him play and shower.

Not too tall to grab the soap for you?

slim
10-20-2015, 12:36 PM
Anyone who doesn't think Oz is a good athlete has no clue what they're talking about.

He can also get up a really nice lather with fairly little effort.

TimHippo
10-20-2015, 12:37 PM

Lol. He's 6-8. Of course he can dunk or play basketball. That's nothing special when you are that tall. If he were 6-0 and 360 dunking yeah that's athletic. 6-6 or higher, that is really nothing special. Some of you all need to get out on the court in the hood sometime.

slim
10-20-2015, 12:38 PM
Not too tall to grab the soap for you?

Well sure....I just kind of think you might want to actually watch him play a game or two before you critique is athletic ability.

Also, I'm fairly certain that 100% of Tebois have 0% understanding of what good QB play looks like.

Ravage!!!
10-20-2015, 12:39 PM
Lol. He's 6-8. Of course he can dunk or play basketball. That's nothing special when you are that tall. If he were 6-0 and 360 dunking yeah that's athletic. 6-6 or higher, that is really nothing special. Some of you all need to get out on the court in the hood sometime.

Every time I've seen him play, I've seen a good athlete. What evidence do you have that he's not a good athlete? Because he's 6'8"? Please tell me you have more than that, beacuse so far, you haven't anyhting to back this perspective up.

slim
10-20-2015, 12:39 PM

He was offered a scholarship to play basketball at Gonzaga, you dolt.

TimHippo
10-20-2015, 12:40 PM
They don't matter much for QBs. You judge a QB's athleticism by how well they move around in the pocket and whether or not they have the ability to escape the pocket and scramble. A QB's 40 time and bench press mean basically nothing.

Actually there is a good correlation. Vick is considered atheltic and he ran a 4.25 40. Tyrod Taylor 4.4. RGIII 4.4. Steve Young 4.53.
3 cone drill is also very important.

Al Wilson 4 Mayor

Don't be an embicile. Knowing the game of basketball means you would understand Oz would be a wing at Gonzaga, not a post player, which would require skill. Basketball is much more than just height.

If you don't know what you're talking about, don't just make something up. Otherwise, you'll leave yourself open for ridicule and lose any credibility you might have here.

Timmy!
The Montana Giraffe is going to be a solid qb, and is plenty athletic, but his time is fall 2016.

TimHippo
10-20-2015, 12:41 PM

Ah, the Ad Hominem attack. No need to go into a temper tantrum and insult people.

Al Wilson 4 Mayor
10-20-2015, 12:42 PM

Are you suggesting there's a difference between basketball at Montana State and Gonzaga?

TimHippo
10-20-2015, 12:42 PM
don't be an embicile. Knowing the game of basketball means you would understand oz would be a wing at gonzaga, not a post player, which would require skill. Basketball is much more than just height.

If you don't know what you're talking about, don't just make something up. Otherwise, you'll leave yourself open for ridicule and lose any credibility you might have here.

lol.

slim
10-20-2015, 12:43 PM
Ah, the Ad Hominem attack. No need to go into a temper tantrum and insult people.

I will decide if and when there is a need to attack people.

Now go kill yourself.

I Eat Staples
10-20-2015, 12:43 PM
Actually there is a good correlation. Vick is considered atheltic and he ran a 4.25 40. Tyrod Taylor 4.4. RGIII 4.4. Steve Young 4.53.

Those QBs aren't just athletic, they're some of the best athletes to ever play the position. They're outliers.

Aaron Rodgers ran a 4.71 40 time. Are you going to tell me Rodgers isn't athletic?

slim
10-20-2015, 12:44 PM
Are you suggesting there's a difference between basketball at Montana State and Gonzaga?

I suspect there may be.

Al Wilson 4 Mayor
10-20-2015, 12:44 PM
lol.

Yeah, mispelled it...big.thumbs, little keyboard on the phone.

Al Wilson 4 Mayor
10-20-2015, 12:45 PM
I will decide if and when there is a need to attack people.

Now go kill yourself.
Oh man, that's funny right there.

Timmy!
10-20-2015, 12:45 PM
Hey, watch it on the Bobcat smack you ******s......

slim
10-20-2015, 12:47 PM

Bobcat is just another word for *****.

Ravage!!!
10-20-2015, 12:47 PM

You just named off some pretty BAD QBs to make your point. Are you sure you know how this debating thing, works?

What was Brady's cone drill? Manning's? Brees? Rivers? Marino's? Montana's? Roth's? Aikman's? Staubach's? Rodgers?

I could go on and on...but I'm betting the best players at the QB position aren't the ones with high 'cone drill' runners or bench pressers.

slim
10-20-2015, 12:48 PM
Oh man, that's funny right there.

I like TimHippo. He makes me feel better about myself.

Timmy!
10-20-2015, 12:48 PM
Bobcat is just another word for *****.

I will murderdance on you slim......speaking of murder, how's ASU football this year?

slim
10-20-2015, 12:49 PM
I will murderdance on you slim......speaking of murder, how's ASU football this year?

Right?

They are an embarrassment.

Al Wilson 4 Mayor
10-20-2015, 03:27 PM

Ok, I'm like sorry, and stuff.

Buff
10-20-2015, 03:29 PM
Right?

They are an embarrassment.

Yeah, what a bunch of pathetic losers.

slim
10-20-2015, 04:26 PM
Do you guys think TimHippo really killed himself?

Cugel
10-20-2015, 06:21 PM
Cugel said no.

So it be written, so it shall be done.

Damn Straight! :beer:

Glad someone recognizes it!

Actually, the hilarious thing is that I didn't say anything. I didn't vote in this poll until just now. I don't have to say anything. All you closet Tebowites know what the team is going to do. They are going to ignore your rants. Manning is starting 16 games despite your howling.

BroncoWave
10-20-2015, 06:22 PM
Yeah, what a bunch of pathetic losers.

http://s2.quickmeme.com/img/44/4475a8526beb2540d69c3ca492ecbca45750cf982563ae9a63 f895235f394db0.jpg

TXBRONC
10-20-2015, 07:21 PM
Damn Straight! :beer:

Glad someone recognizes it!

Actually, the hilarious thing is that I didn't say anything. I didn't vote in this poll until just now. I don't have to say anything. All you closet Tebowites know what the team is going to do. They are going to ignore your rants. Manning is starting 16 games despite your howling.

Joe is no Tebowite Cugel.

Yashahla17
10-21-2015, 01:25 AM
http://youtu.be/OjpF0vnNNII peyton manning cant do this. I can just imagine sanders and thomas receive 50 yard strikes for touchdowns. Look how comfortable and quick brock got around that bootleg.

Yashahla17
10-21-2015, 01:35 AM
http://youtu.be/Cd1om48v6tc this analysts gets it.

wayninja
10-21-2015, 01:36 AM
http://youtu.be/OjpF0vnNNII peyton manning cant do this. I can just imagine sanders and thomas receive 50 yard strikes for touchdowns. Look how comfortable and quick brock got around that bootleg.

You're right, he can't do that. Especially since he usually faces 1st string defenses and guys are rarely in a 25 yard bubble.

Yashahla17
10-21-2015, 01:45 AM
If Peyton could do this guy's wouldn't be so close up near the LOS. Just facts whether folks like it or not.

Northman
10-21-2015, 06:27 AM
You're right, he can't do that. Especially since he usually faces 1st string defenses and guys are rarely in a 25 yard bubble.

Actually that was againt the Cardinals first stringers. But, it was probably a vanilla defense and it was preseason but i think it does show that Brock does have better mobility and the arm strength and accuracy to get it downfield. Whether Brock takes over tomorrow or next year doesnt matter to me, i think he will be just fine and a good fit for what Kubes wants to do.

NightTerror218
10-21-2015, 12:29 PM
If Denver is 11-4 going into final game of season and division in clinched. I doubt manning sees a snap in that game.

slim
10-21-2015, 12:42 PM
If Denver is 11-4 going into final game of season and division in clinched. I doubt manning sees a snap in that game.

Way to go out on a limb, NT.

Ravage!!!
10-21-2015, 12:57 PM
http://youtu.be/Cd1om48v6tc this analysts gets it.

Yeah.. that blonde is really really pretty. That's what we got.

wayninja
10-21-2015, 06:00 PM
Actually that was againt the Cardinals first stringers. But, it was probably a vanilla defense and it was preseason but i think it does show that Brock does have better mobility and the arm strength and accuracy to get it downfield. Whether Brock takes over tomorrow or next year doesnt matter to me, i think he will be just fine and a good fit for what Kubes wants to do.

I didn't realize those were first stringers. After that play though, he went 6-11 for 30 yards.

There's no doubt that Os has better mobility and clearly at this point easily superior arm strength. Those two things alone are not the answer though. Although we just don't really know until we throw him to the wolves.

Northman
10-21-2015, 06:46 PM
I didn't realize those were first stringers. After that play though, he went 6-11 for 30 yards.

There's no doubt that Os has better mobility and clearly at this point easily superior arm strength. Those two things alone are not the answer though. Although we just don't really know until we throw him to the wolves.

Agreed.

TimHippo
10-22-2015, 01:07 PM
Brock Osweiler isn’t a very impressive quarterback:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XWAv5hqSflQ

Valar Morghulis
10-22-2015, 01:12 PM
That cannot be a serious post.

That is a terrible link.

TimHippo
10-22-2015, 01:17 PM
That cannot be a serious post.

That is a terrible link.

Why. Woody Paige and Les Shapiro are respected journalists.
And the title of their discussion is Osweiler isn't a very impressive quarterback.

Valar Morghulis
10-22-2015, 01:21 PM
Why. Woody Paige and Les Shapiro are respected journalists. And the title of their discussion is Osweiler isn't a very impressive quarterback.

Because they spend a lot of time taking but saying nothing, there is no analysis, no broken down footage to highlight failings, it it's just two old dudes saying, "i don't like what I saw in preseason or meaningless snaps in games" then making jokes about his height when he walks into his room. It is lazy journalism at best.

I don't know your posting style well enough to be 100% sure, but I am fairly convinced you are trolling this thread for your own amusement

Cugel
10-22-2015, 01:31 PM
We know only two things about Brock.

#1 We haven't seen him in any regular season game yet and probably won't this season, so nobody really knows for sure how he'll do when he's starting. We can only hope he'll be good enough to lead this team to a SB.

#2 - We can look at the history of the NFL the past 15 years and notice that 138 QBs have been drafted at #57 or later in the NFL draft and only 1 of them has played in a Super Bowl - Russell Wilson. And the Broncos failed to draft him or we wouldn't be having this discussion. We'd be talking about what the Broncos Super Bowl rings should look like, because they'd be the overwhelming favorites for the SB. And we can note that most of those QBs were total failures like Chad Henne or Brian Brohm (drafted at #57 and #56).

So, the statistics don't look good. That doesn't prove Brock will fail of course, merely that it will be less likely than winning at roulette for him to win a SB.

Further, I should point out that even if Brock never wins a SB that's no reason not to start him in the future. He's still going to be the best choice the Broncos have available for QB whenever Peyton retires. It's not as if Aaron Rogers is coming to Denver. And it's not so easy to draft a QB successfully either.

Take 2006 for instance. The Broncos needed a QB and got "lucky" in that there were 3 highly rated QBs available and they even got their first choice at #11 pick of the first round. But, those QBs turned out to be Vince Young, Matt Leinart and Jay Cutler and we all know how that turned out. There simply weren't any good QBs at all that year. Nor in 2007 either. And there were 2 in 2008 - Matt Ryan #1 pick and Joe Flacco #18 pick of the first round.

Two SB caliber (maybe in the case of Ryan) QBs in 3 years and about 20 teams that desperately needed a QB over that span! Same thing was true this season when Jameis Winston and Marcus Mariota went 1, 2- and the Bucs and Titans never even considered trading those picks so no other team could hope to get one of them.

Ravage!!!
10-22-2015, 01:35 PM
I don't think Russell Wilson wins..or even goes to... a Super Bowl without that defense.

However, I know there have been other QBs drafted later that have gone to (and won) the Super Bowl in the NFL.

Plus.. considering how many QBs are drafted, in total.. I would say the odds of him winning a Super Bowl are pretty slim. That goes without saying,and without having to go into where he was drafted.

TimHippo
10-22-2015, 01:38 PM

#1 We haven't seen him in any regular season game yet and probably won't this season, so nobody really knows for sure how he'll do when he's starting. We can only hope he'll be good enough to lead this team to a SB.

#2 - We can look at the history of the NFL the past 15 years and notice that 138 QBs have been drafted at #57 or later in the NFL draft and only 1 of them has played in a Super Bowl - Russell Wilson. And the Broncos failed to draft him or we wouldn't be having this discussion. We'd be talking about what the Broncos Super Bowl rings should look like, because they'd be the overwhelming favorites for the SB. And we can note that most of those QBs were total failures like Chad Henne or Brian Brohm (drafted at #57 and #56).

So, the statistics don't look good. That doesn't prove Brock will fail of course, merely that it will be less likely than winning at roulette for him to win a SB.

Further, I should point out that even if Brock never wins a SB that's no reason not to start him in the future. He's still going to be the best choice the Broncos have available for QB whenever Peyton retires. It's not as if Aaron Rogers is coming to Denver. And it's not so easy to draft a QB successfully either.

Take 2006 for instance. The Broncos needed a QB and got "lucky" in that there were 3 highly rated QBs available and they even got their first choice at #11 pick of the first round. But, those QBs turned out to be Vince Young, Matt Leinart and Jay Cutler and we all know how that turned out. There simply weren't any good QBs at all that year. Nor in 2007 either. And there were 2 in 2008 - Matt Ryan #1 pick and Joe Flacco #18 pick of the first round.

Two SB caliber (maybe in the case of Ryan) QBs in 3 years and about 20 teams that desperately needed a QB over that span!

That's a scary thought to think what Russell Wilson could have done with this offense and defense. I guess if he had been drafted it really would have been an Aaron Rodgers/Steve Young scenario where Manning would have been pushed out either last year or this year.

Ravage!!!
10-22-2015, 01:40 PM
Doubt it.

Cugel
10-22-2015, 01:47 PM
I don't think Russell Wilson wins..or even goes to... a Super Bowl without that defense.

However, I know there have been other QBs drafted later that have gone to (and won) the Super Bowl in the NFL.

Plus.. considering how many QBs are drafted, in total.. I would say the odds of him winning a Super Bowl are pretty slim. That goes without saying,and without having to go into where he was drafted.

Not in the last 15 years since they changed the passer rules. That's my point. If you want to go back to Johnny Unitas, then sure, you can find later round QBs that won SBs.

But, everything is different in today's NFL. It's a multi-billion $ industry. The QB is hugely important and there are so few good ones available. Thus, the scouting of any potential QB prospect is absolutely fierce and the tendency is to draft them well above where they should be drafted based on their athleticism and demonstrated skills - just because teams need QBs and they'll try anybody who gives reasonable hope that he can be developed into a franchise QB.

If a QB falls to the late second round that means all those QB desperate teams didn't think much of him and all those scouts and GMs passed him by. Of course they can all be wrong as they were in the case of Russell Wilson, who is a top 10 QB in this league just based on proven leadership, athleticism and accuracy and especially good decision making.

If you don't think much of Russell Wilson, just ask yourself where he would be drafted in the 2015 draft if everybody knew what we know now. He'd be a top 3 pick of the draft and might have gone #1 overall.

He's no Aaron Rogers or Tom Brady.

But, then expecting a Tom Brady to fall to the 6th round is like perhaps a once in 25 or 50 year event - the entire NFL scouting departments totally failing in their evaluation of a Hall of Fame QB. It can happen, but it's wildly unlikely, like an asteroid hitting the earth.

Once again, I like Osweiler and hope he succeeds. It will be fun to watch him. But, statistics are stark in this case. The odds are not at all in his favor and reaching back into the distant past when the NFL was a very different league, and there were no multi-million $ scouting departments that have massive amounts of info on every possible QB prospect, does not shift the odds in his favor.

EDIT: I realized that its pointless defending Russell Wilson. If he isn't a Superbowl quality QB but was just carried to victory by his defense, then there has been NOBODY drafted at #57 or later in the last 15 years who is worthy of the title "Super Bowl caliber QB."

TimHippo
10-22-2015, 01:54 PM
But, then expecting a Tom Brady to fall to the 6th round is like perhaps a once in 25 or 50 year event - the entire NFL scouting departments totally failing in their evaluation of a Hall of Fame QB. It can happen, but it's wildly unlikely, like an asteroid hitting the earth.

I also think in Brady's case he came in right when the league was changing from the physical man style rules to the current can't touch the quarterback kid rule set. Physically I don't know if Brady could of held up in the era where the defense could run over the quarterback at will with the 46 defense, Oakland Raiders, Johnson's Cowboys D or Lawrence Taylor.

So the scouting and analysis was based on having a stud big muscular QB who could withstand the punishment and Brady didn't fit that profile and slipped through the cracks.

NightTerror218
10-22-2015, 02:05 PM
Way to go out on a limb, NT.

Very realistic. Doubt we are seed 1 or 2.

Division outside of us is horrible.

Ravage!!!
10-22-2015, 02:34 PM
I also think in Brady's case he came in right when the league was changing from the physical man style rules to the current can't touch the quarterback kid rule set. Physically I don't know if Brady could of held up in the era where the defense could run over the quarterback at will with the 46 defense, Oakland Raiders, Johnson's Cowboys D or Lawrence Taylor.

So the scouting and analysis was based on having a stud big muscular QB who could withstand the punishment and Brady didn't fit that profile and slipped through the cracks.

you must be young to make this kind of silly statement.

Of course Brady would have held up. He's 6'4". How BIG did you think they were looking for QBs to be????? :lol: DIdn't Marino, and Montana hold up in the "more physical"league? I can go on and on and on and list QBs that didn't have big 'stature' long before the Brady drafting era, and they were much more physical era's as well.

You keep showing that you know less and less about the game the more you post. You should probably stop and just keep with the "I'm not sure, but I think Os sucks" mantra rather than making silly statements like this.

TXBRONC
10-22-2015, 04:22 PM
Brock Osweiler isn’t a very impressive quarterback:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XWAv5hqSflQ

Les isn't very impressive as a journalist. :coffee:

Woody is Woody.

TimHippo
10-22-2015, 07:12 PM
you must be young to make this kind of silly statement.

Of course Brady would have held up. He's 6'4". How BIG did you think they were looking for QBs to be????? :lol: DIdn't Marino, and Montana hold up in the "more physical"league? I can go on and on and on and list QBs that didn't have big 'stature' long before the Brady drafting era, and they were much more physical era's as well.

You keep showing that you know less and less about the game the more you post. You should probably stop and just keep with the "I'm not sure, but I think Os sucks" mantra rather than making silly statements like this.

Ravageeeeee! Love the aggression and insults! You sure know how to bring it.

Dan Marino was a big boy for his era. (6-4 230 lbs). So not sure why you list him as an example. Montana had prototypical size and height for his era 6-2 205 where you had small sub 200 lbs guys like Joe Thiesman (6-0 190 lbs) and Danny White (6-2 193 lbs) who were more the norm. Even still Montana got wrecked by the Giants and had severe neck and back injuries.

Tom Brady is fairly tall at 6-4 but only weight 225 lbs. But just look at him he's tall and lanky. He's not made to take hits under the old rules. But under the new non physical rule set he can thrive as a pocket passer who takes little damage.

Ravage!!!
10-23-2015, 09:31 AM
EDIT: I realized that its pointless defending Russell Wilson. If he isn't a Superbowl quality QB but was just carried to victory by his defense, then there has been NOBODY drafted at #57 or later in the last 15 years who is worthy of the title "Super Bowl caliber QB."

But that doesn't mean anything. Meaning, it could be because of finances alone. It could be just happenstance.

Teams that NEED QBs use early round draft picks on them. Thus, those early round picks get the opportunities to start. The teams that DON'T need QBs use late round picks on QBs....and they are never needed to get on the field.

You said the last 15 years, but then Tom Brady was drafted just 16 years ago and is still winning Super Bowls. Kurt Warner came out of no-where, and there isn't a single reason to believe that can't or wont happen tomorrow. Could Tyrod Taylor win a Super Bowl? Sure he could, if put in the right situation and team, absolutely. He has a ton of talent. You are making a blanket statement based on the facts that early round draft picks just get MORE chances because they are early round draft picks.

Ravage!!!
10-23-2015, 09:33 AM
Ravageeeeee! Love the aggression and insults! You sure know how to bring it.

Dan Marino was a big boy for his era. (6-4 230 lbs). So not sure why you list him as an example. Montana had prototypical size and height for his era 6-2 205 where you had small sub 200 lbs guys like Joe Thiesman (6-0 190 lbs) and Danny White (6-2 193 lbs) who were more the norm. Even still Montana got wrecked by the Giants and had severe neck and back injuries.

Tom Brady is fairly tall at 6-4 but only weight 225 lbs. But just look at him he's tall and lanky. He's not made to take hits under the old rules. But under the new non physical rule set he can thrive as a pocket passer who takes little damage.

SO you are saying that 6'4" and 225lbs isn't big enough to handle the pounding that hte other QBs took??? :lol: That is absolutely absurd and ridiculous at best. Seriously. If you want to believe that, more power to you. But throwing that into any SERIOUS discussion on football, will get you laughed at.... often.

BroncoJoe
10-23-2015, 09:55 AM

Ah - the backtrack begins.

NightTerror218
10-23-2015, 10:22 AM
What is a super bowl caliber QB? Making it to super bowl is a team effort.

There are several QBS who were not that good that won SBs behind do great defenses. Brad Johnson?

Wilson is a SB caliber QB, he is clutch when his team needs it. I won't mention Tom Brady because he is exception.

Other good QBs not drafted round 1, Tony Romo. Drew Brees was 1st pick round 2. Several young starting QBS were not round one right now but too young to judge right now.

In last 15 years, Kurt Warner has been to SB.

Joel
10-23-2015, 08:06 PM
All but ONE AFC division leader's unbeaten, and we don't play the last one till Week 16, so it's pretty unlikely Manning sits before then if he stays healthy. However, last year we were locked into the #2 seed by Week 17, and could be again if we beat Cincy Week 16: N*s schedule is so absurdly soft (their divisional round robin, each conferences weakest division, plus the other defending division champs, one of whom they beat Opening Day) there's a good chance NO ONE beats them if we don't. Then Oz could start Week 17.

Simple Jaded
10-23-2015, 09:18 PM
Shapiro was dead-on about Tebow.

TXBRONC
10-23-2015, 09:22 PM
Shapiro was dead-on about Tebow.

Well even a broken clock is right twice a day. :D

Simple Jaded
10-23-2015, 09:48 PM
Well even a broken clock is right twice a day. :D

Unless it's a digital clock when some of the lines are gone and you can't really tell if it's a "0" or an "8", or a "6" and an "h".