PDA

View Full Version : The Good and the Bad: Week 6

BroncoWave
10-18-2015, 07:04 PM
First of all, holy crap, what a game to go to. Amazing game. All of these are what I got from seeing this live so I have no other analysis to go on. So I could be off on some of this.

Good:

The oline. First time they have been on this list all year but they were awesome. Gave up no sacks and opened up holes for the running game.

Hillman. He should have the starting spot locked up now. Ran hard all day.

Talib. That pick six was awesome. I got some video of the end of the play.

Barrett. That sack fumble was my favorite play of the game. Everyone in the stadium but McCown could see it coming. So awesome.

McManus. Had the long miss but was awesome otherwise and got the game winner.

Bad:

Manning. He certainly can't blame the line today. Had all day to throw it. Now to be fair he had some nice rollouts, the sweet long touchdown, and was victimized by some drops. But those two picks to the linebackers just can't happen. Especially the one in overtime. I was praying we would not let him throw again once we got in fg range at the end. He did make some of his best throws of the season today, but also some of the worst. Just way too inconsistent.

Dumb penalties. We have to cut out the stupid penalties. Fowler's was the worst. You just can't do that. And Malik again with his guaranteed personal foul per game.

DT. Might be unfair to put him here, but that drop at the end of regulation was inexcusable. Damn near cost us the game.

I honestly can't think of much else negative. If not for the missed fg and the picks, we dominate this game.

If I was off on anything or left anyone out let me know.

Northman
10-18-2015, 07:12 PM
Bad:

Manning. He certainly can't blame the line today. Had all day to throw it.

Are you sure? I know you were actually at the game but there are people on the board saying that inst possible.

Davii
10-18-2015, 07:21 PM
First of all, holy crap, what a game to go to. Amazing game. All of these are what I got from seeing this live so I have no other analysis to go on. So I could be off on some of this.

Good:

The oline. First time they have been on this list all year but they were awesome. Gave up no sacks and opened up holes for the running game.

Barrett. That sack fumble was my favorite play of the game. Everyone in the stadium but McCown could see it coming. So awesome.

Bad:

Manning. He certainly can't blame the line today. Had all day to throw it. Now to be fair he had some nice rollouts, the sweet long touchdown, and was victimized by some drops. But those two picks to the linebackers just can't happen. Especially the one in overtime. I was praying we would not let him throw again once we got in fg range at the end. He did make some of his best throws of the season today, but also some of the worst. Just way too inconsistent.

Dumb penalties. We have to cut out the stupid penalties. Fowler's was the worst. You just can't do that. And Malik again with his guaranteed personal foul per game.

DT. Might be unfair to put him here, but that drop at the end of regulation was inexcusable. Damn near cost us the game.

I honestly can't think of much else negative. If not for the missed fg and the picks, we dominate this game.

Good rundown BW.

Good: the defense, like every week. The run game was definitely better.

Bad: Manning, DT, play calling.

Slick
10-18-2015, 07:40 PM
Denver was extremely lucky that Cleveland tried and failed that 2 point conversion. That might go as a missed attempt in your stats thread, Wave, but it cost them the game to unnecessarily chase the score.

DenBronx
10-18-2015, 08:14 PM
Denver was extremely lucky that Cleveland tried and failed that 2 point conversion. That might go as a missed attempt in your stats thread, Wave, but it cost them the game to unnecessarily chase the score.

That was the difference maker. Dumb move by Cleveland.

BroncoWave
10-18-2015, 08:18 PM
The fans around me were PISSED about that two point attempt. We definitely got lucky there.

Davii
10-18-2015, 08:23 PM
The fans around me were PISSED about that two point attempt. We definitely got lucky there.

Dumb call by them. Thank god.

BroncoWave
10-18-2015, 08:25 PM
Dumb call by them. Thank god.

I get the logic because there is value to being up 6 instead of 5, but it really wound up biting them in the butt.

NightTerror218
10-18-2015, 08:27 PM

But that 1 point would also change how denver played.

Slick
10-18-2015, 08:37 PM
But that 1 point would also change how denver played.

There was still way too much time left. 2 pointers have their place in the game but you can't chase the score. I thought it was a huge mistake in that situation.

OrangeHoof
10-18-2015, 08:56 PM
I get the logic because there is value to being up 6 instead of 5, but it really wound up biting them in the butt.

Sorry, the logic still sucks. With about 7 minutes to go, being up six instead of five makes no sense unless you expect your opponent to score two field goals or a field goal and a safety. Possible, yes, but not really likely. In almost any other scenario, the five point lead does as well as the six point lead. The reward was not worth the risk and we saw what a four-point lead led to.

Buff
10-18-2015, 09:00 PM
Good - Talib is a playmaker as usual. Shaq Barret is legit. Sly Williams is underrated. Chris Harris is as good as any DB in the NFL. McManus is the best, and was due for a miss beyond 50 so I'm not mad at him. The o-line didn't give up a sack, and allowed 150 yards by our backs, which was a nice change of pace. Maybe Polumbus needs more time.

Bad - The penalty by Wolfe should have cost us the game, and was heinously stupid, but the Browns obviously had no interest in winning. Norwood got exposed a few times - I want to see more Bennie Fowler.

The Sanders injury looks to be something that's going to hamper him for a while, which is a big problem considering how much we rely on him.

I don't even want to harp on Manning - it's clear this franchise has no faith in Osweiler, from trying to sign Tyrod Taylor in the offseason, to making sure we keep Siemian on the active roster as our #3 QB... We will just need to keep finding ridiculous ways to win and hope our defense is good enough to take us where we want to go.

OrangeHoof
10-18-2015, 09:04 PM
Back to the OP. We finally got to see the running game have some success and it was important because Peyton and the receivers were not having one of their better afternoons.

Kubiak was back to having Peyton run bootlegs with varying success. What kills me is that old trait of needing five yards for a first down so you complete a pass for three yards. Need 8? Complete a pass for 5. How many 4th-and-shorts did we have in the game? Too many.

Another game where we appeared to win in spite of ourselves but, ultimately, it was the Browns and you just knew at the right moment, the Browns would turn back into pumpkins.

I Eat Staples
10-18-2015, 09:43 PM
Oh it's more than fair to put DT there, those drops were absolutely horrendous and came in terrible spots.

BroncoWave
10-18-2015, 09:50 PM
One thing I did like about our playcalling today is that we did not run a single bubble screen. That was nice to see.

Al Wilson 4 Mayor
10-18-2015, 09:51 PM
I was glad we didn't abandon the run today.

BroncoWave
10-18-2015, 10:30 PM
Just read through the game thread. I'm really glad the pigeons were noticeable on TV lol. I started focusing on them more than on the game. It became comical how they kept sticking around.

Simple Jaded
10-19-2015, 12:35 AM
The bootleg made an appearance, from that sweet, sweet pistol no less.

TXBRONC
10-19-2015, 07:24 AM

Good:

Bad:

I think you hit all the major points. It was unlikely that McManus or kicker is going to hit ever field goal 50 yards or more especially when you have had as many attempts at it as he has over the first six weeks of the season.

TXBRONC
10-19-2015, 07:25 AM
I was glad we didn't abandon the run today.

Kubiak has insisted that he's not going to so I take him at his word.

Northman
10-19-2015, 07:27 AM
I do wish they would of ran Hillman more, CJ really wasnt doing anything until the end of the game.

BroncoWave
10-19-2015, 07:28 AM
I think you hit all the major points. It was unlikely that McManus or kicker is going to hit ever field goal 50 yards or more especially when you have had as many attempts at it as he has over the first six weeks of the season.

Yeah, he was due for a miss. It was cold there yesterday and the wind was swirling, so it's really hard to blame him. First time he's had to kick in those conditions this year, so he'll adjust.

BroncoWave
10-19-2015, 07:28 AM
I do wish they would of ran Hillman more, CJ really wasnt doing anything until the end of the game.

Even with Hillman clearly being the better back, I don't mind them running CJ as much as they did. It's smart not to wear Hillman down any more than we have to at this point to keep him as fresh as possible for later in the season and the playoffs.

Yashahla17
10-19-2015, 07:31 AM
Hillman cannot handle the workload anyway so cj will need to get his shit together.

BroncoWave
10-19-2015, 07:35 AM
Oh it's more than fair to put DT there, those drops were absolutely horrendous and came in terrible spots.

What really makes DT great is what he's able to do after the catch, but it's a double-edged sword. Most of his drops come from trying to start making guys miss before he fully has the ball. He'd have way fewer drops if he looked every ball into his hands then started running, but he'd probably also break fewer tackles. I have to say though, as much as Manning is turning it over right now, I think I'd rather trade some of DTs yards for him actually holding onto balls.

EastCoastBronco
10-19-2015, 08:07 AM
DT needs to start watching old game film of Jerry Rice and Chris Carter.
The talent is definitely there but his consistency level is all over the map.
He could be one of the greats but he needs to get his head on straight...24/7.

That block he threw on Donte Whitner was sweet though...

VonDoom
10-19-2015, 10:37 AM
I didn't get to see the whole game (came in and out and watched most of it, but not with my usual focus) so it's hard to comment, but for me, this was Manning's worst game this year. The line seemed decent, the running game was actually doing some things, so I don't know what else to say. I've defended Manning as much as anyone on this board (and will probably do so some more, at some point) but he was terrible. Hard to argue otherwise.

DT with the drops ... man. I know he's hurt, but I didn't think stone hands was his condition. One of those catches could have saved some stress and tension.

I mentioned the penalties last week, so nothing new there. It's just unreal how we keep finding terrible ways to give up yards. Malik's face mask, the Fowler play ... just a mess. Even Rex is making guys do push ups now. We can't keep living with that stuff.

As for the good, I mentioned the line (thought they played well overall, though like I said, I didn't really study it play by play). Hillman has stepped up nicely but I do agree that CJ or Juwan or Bibbs or someone has to be there to help with the committee thing. If we're going to be a running team (still TBD), we need more than one back to step up.

Special shout out to Shaq Barrett. I had no worries about him stepping in for Ware, and I was right. Dude is a baller.

Sucks about Ray, but at least it appears to not be season ending, which is what I first feared.

jhildebrand
10-19-2015, 10:49 AM
I wouldn't put the backs on the good list. They did well but there were so many more yards there to be had. Their vision, each of them, doesn't seem to be there. They don't seem to see the field.

The penalties and turnovers this team continues to have is unacceptable as well.