PDA

View Full Version : Barretts rise from the practice squad

Northman
10-16-2015, 02:12 PM
http://www.denverbroncos.com/news-and-blogs/article-1/Through-My-Eyes-Shaquil-Barretts-rise-from-the-practice-squad/1170a69d-7479-4512-bdcf-ed7040f6455a

For any practice squad member, motivation is almost instilled naturally. You’re so close to your dream you can actually touch it, but there are still obstacles in your way.

While that’s a good source of motivation, for me last year on the practice squad, it was only one percent. The other 99 percent of my motivation comes from my family: My wife, Jordanna, my two sons, Shaquil Jr., 3, and Braylon, 2, and my daughter Aaliyah, 7 months.

Nothing is more motivating than being able to provide for my family and my wife and kids. That’s what I want to be able to do and having been striving to do since I was in college. I want to give them everything they want so they don’t have to worry about anything.

But being on the practice squad was a blessing in disguise because I took it as a learning year. I learned a lot from guys like Lerentee McCray (http://www.denverbroncos.com/team/roster/lerentee-mccray/11c2b2ca-d88c-4d64-b52a-4068e031d394/), DeMarcus Ware (http://www.denverbroncos.com/team/roster/demarcus-ware/b39f033b-ce6e-448d-85e6-e3da2b56d14f/) and Von Miller (http://www.denverbroncos.com/team/roster/von-miller/036470c3-df00-47e4-a936-86200f2c88dc/). I would attribute a lot of my changes from last year to this year on learning from those guys.
http://www.denverbroncos.com/assets/images/imported/DEN/photos/clubimages/2015/10-October/151015_TME2.jpg
I also saw a big change in my body after a year. Coming out of college, I had a tremendous amount of body fat. I just saw a picture recently and was shocked that I looked like that. My agent sent my wife a meal plan for a healthy diet and I’m still working on it and still keep working on that to become a better athlete, a better player. Bigger, faster, stronger.

SR
10-16-2015, 02:42 PM
I'll read it when Carol posts it, TYVM.

Jk. Good article. I like Shaq.

Al Wilson 4 Mayor
10-16-2015, 05:16 PM
Shaq is an animal. He looks unblockable at times. He looks to me like a guy who could get 10 sacks in a starting role.

NightTerror218
10-16-2015, 05:21 PM
Can he play DE? If we can't keep Wolfe and Malik are my thoughts.

Joel
10-16-2015, 06:11 PM
Can he play DE? If we can't keep Wolfe and Malik are my thoughts.
Sure: He'd be a great 4-3 RDE, maybe even a good LDE—no way he's a 3-4 DE at 250 lbs. Depending whom one asks, Anunike gained 15-20 lbs. to make the switch this offseason, but is STILL our lightest DE (275-280.) From a three point stance, Barrett would rarely beat the pass blocking (especially inside) and flat out GET flattened out on runs.

NightTerror218
10-16-2015, 06:21 PM
Sure: He'd be a great 4-3 RDE, maybe even a good LDE—no way he's a 3-4 DE at 250 lbs. Depending whom one asks, Anunike gained 15-20 lbs. to make the switch this offseason, but is STILL our lightest DE (275-280.) From a three point stance, Barrett would rarely beat the pass blocking (especially inside) and flat out GET flattened out on runs.

Then he better enjoy the lime light because he prob won't beat out ray and miller for starting down the road.

Joel
10-16-2015, 06:56 PM
Then he better enjoy the lime light because he prob won't beat out ray and miller for starting down the road.
We'll still need a solid OLB for when the starters are winded/hurt, because the OLBs and NT are the 3-4s core the same way the DEs and MLB are the 4-3s. There's a reason Barrett and Ray are already seeing plenty of action despite both being backups. Now, whether we need a solid backup badly enough to spend a 1st round pick on one and delay our more urgent starting OT issues till the 2nd (rather than the reverse) is a whole other matter. But if they continue as they've begun the only question is whether we can AFFORD both Ray and Barrett, not whether we'll want both or both will get plenty of snaps.

Yashahla17
10-16-2015, 07:58 PM
Nice pass rusher. I don't know if he could play full-time though. I also don't think he's great vs the run. But coming in to give the guys a blow and can still bring the heat is awesome

TXBRONC
10-16-2015, 08:17 PM
Shaq is an animal. He looks unblockable at times. He looks to me like a guy who could get 10 sacks in a starting role.

I think all four of linebackers on the second unit could start for just about any team.

broncofaninfla
10-17-2015, 12:24 PM
With Miller, Ware, Ray and Barret we esentially have 4 starters. All four have been in during critical times and all four have made plays. Easily the strongest position on the roster. This defense is special.

TXBRONC
10-17-2015, 12:35 PM
Nice pass rusher. I don't know if he could play full-time though. I also don't think he's great vs the run. But coming in to give the guys a blow and can still bring the heat is awesome

As it has been mentioned he's been on the field in critical situations and done well. He's been solid against the run. As long as he can do his job we'll be fine.

DenBronx
10-17-2015, 12:38 PM
With Miller, Ware, Ray and Barret we esentially have 4 starters. All four have been in during critical times and all four have made plays. Easily the strongest position on the roster. This defense is special.

I remember a time when we didnt even have 1 competent pass rusher. We now have at least 4.

Yashahla17
10-18-2015, 02:28 PM
I was wrong barrett looks great vs the run and in a full time role today atleast.

OrangeHoof
10-18-2015, 04:12 PM
He had a big turnover today. With Ware and Ray hurt, he came up big a few times.

Al Wilson 4 Mayor
10-18-2015, 05:41 PM
He was freakin' beasting today.

Al Wilson 4 Mayor
10-18-2015, 05:44 PM
He had a big turnover today. With Ware and Ray hurt, he came up big a few times.

9 tackles (6 solo) 1.5 sacks, 3 tfl, 1pd. That's more than a few plays, that's an offense wrecker.

NightTerror218
10-18-2015, 06:17 PM
9 tackles (6 solo) 1.5 sacks, 3 tfl, 1pd. That's more than a few plays, that's an offense wrecker.

He played great but I definitely saw the drop off in play from ware.

Al Wilson 4 Mayor
10-18-2015, 10:55 PM
He played great but I definitely saw the drop off in play from ware.

Well, Ware was the best defensive player in football the first month of the season.

The Drop off I saw was what I thought was fatigue in the second half. The offense had a lot of 3 and outs and we didn't have enough pass rushers to rotate in. Miller looked gassed.

GEM
10-19-2015, 01:54 PM
Hell, usually when a guy like Ware goes down, all you hear about their replacement is bad. Shaq came in on his first start in the NFL and put up numbers that any other team would be salivating over. We're a spoiled bunch, our backups look better than most teams starters. :D

SR
10-19-2015, 02:08 PM
Hell, usually when a guy like Ware goes down, all you hear about their replacement is bad. Shaq came in on his first start in the NFL and put up numbers that any other team would be salivating over. We're a spoiled bunch, our backups look better than most teams starters. :D

If only the offensive line had the same fortune. :(

Ziggy
10-19-2015, 02:19 PM
If only the offensive line had the same fortune. :(

When Elway came to this team he said his first priority was to re-build the Orange Crush D. Mission accomplished. Wait until he sets his mind on re-building the Oline.

TXBRONC
10-19-2015, 08:28 PM

As I said he could start for a lot of teams.

GEM
10-19-2015, 11:03 PM
When Elway came to this team he said his first priority was to re-build the Orange Crush D. Mission accomplished. Wait until he sets his mind on re-building the Oline.

The only downfall to that is he had blinders on...he knows how important an oline is, especially to an aging qb. Hope he can build a mean and nasty like he played behind.