PDA

View Full Version : Practice / press conference notes - week 6 (Browns week)

VonDoom
10-12-2015, 03:53 PM
Figured I'd get this going now even though there won't be a lot of content until Wednesday. However, there were a couple of notes about the Browns that might be relevant for our game:

Mary Kay Cabot ‏@MaryKayCabot 19m19 minutes ago

#Browns Joe Haden expected to sit out vs. 5-0 #Broncos with concussion

Adam Schefter ‏@AdamSchefter 2h2 hours ago

Blake Bortles sprained his throwing shoulder and is uncertain for Sunday vs. Hou.

Josh McCown sprained his ankle. Hopeful for Sun vs. Den.

Al Wilson 4 Mayor
10-12-2015, 06:42 PM
Figured I'd get this going now even though there won't be a lot of content until Wednesday. However, there were a couple of notes about the Browns that might be relevant for our game:

Mary Kay Cabot ‏@MaryKayCabot 19m19 minutes ago

#Browns Joe Haden expected to sit out vs. 5-0 #Broncos with concussion

Adam Schefter ‏@AdamSchefter 2h2 hours ago

Blake Bortles sprained his throwing shoulder and is uncertain for Sunday vs. Hou.

Josh McCown sprained his ankle. Hopeful for Sun vs. Den.

The wont need Haden. Oakland didn't have their best corner this last weekend.

We might need two defensive touchdowns this week.

TimHippo
10-12-2015, 07:47 PM
The Johnny Manziel circus has arrived in town.

Joel
10-12-2015, 07:57 PM
The wont need Haden. Oakland didn't have their best corner this last weekend.

We might need two defensive touchdowns this week.
Tramon Williams isn't a bad CB either, but I'm more concerned about a 3-4 with several good LBs when our line rarely blocks 4 with 5 straight up, but disintegrates vs. the most basic stunts, delayed blitzes and other disguised change ups. Their youth and lack of coordination with each other shows, and is exploited, far too often. Also why they can't cooperate in all the subtle collective maneuver integral to the ZBS.

Hopefully two regular season months is enough to get them all on the same page before the NFLs most solid team arrives right after the bye, but that's doubtful. They just self-evidently have too far to go, and Sambrailo and Harris' injuries only set back group development with yet another green player at RT and another new roster addition at LT. It's slightly improved inside, but only relatively; it's not good nor even adequate anywhere. The D can't keep bailing us out with turnovers to keep it close and erase deficits, then more to ice wins; they'll wear down, and (more) people on both sides of the ball will get hurt.

The best I can say is that we had a fairly soft start, but with lots of good pass rushers for Sambrailo and Paradis to experience first hand, then a relatively early bye to digest it all. But after that, it's GB immediately, and later on Cincy and Buffalos D, *E and Pitt, plus 4 more division games. At least half our road games are done and won; the line won't have to deal with crowd noise much more.

Joel
10-12-2015, 07:58 PM
The Johnny Manziel circus has arrived in town.
Should we start taking up a collection for another billboard? :tongue:

WJK
10-13-2015, 10:32 AM
If we can't run on the Browns then we can't run on anyone. 120 yards for Forsett Sunday.

NightTerror218
10-13-2015, 10:46 AM
Tramon Williams isn't a bad CB either, but I'm more concerned about a 3-4 with several good LBs when our line rarely blocks 4 with 5 straight up, but disintegrates vs. the most basic stunts, delayed blitzes and other disguised change ups. Their youth and lack of coordination with each other shows, and is exploited, far too often. Also why they can't cooperate in all the subtle collective maneuver integral to the ZBS.

Hopefully two regular season months is enough to get them all on the same page before the NFLs most solid team arrives right after the bye, but that's doubtful. They just self-evidently have too far to go, and Sambrailo and Harris' injuries only set back group development with yet another green player at RT and another new roster addition at LT. It's slightly improved inside, but only relatively; it's not good nor even adequate anywhere. The D can't keep bailing us out with turnovers to keep it close and erase deficits, then more to ice wins; they'll wear down, and (more) people on both sides of the ball will get hurt.

The best I can say is that we had a fairly soft start, but with lots of good pass rushers for Sambrailo and Paradis to experience first hand, then a relatively early bye to digest it all. But after that, it's GB immediately, and later on Cincy and Buffalos D, *E and Pitt, plus 4 more division games. At least half our road games are done and won; the line won't have to deal with crowd noise much more.

One OLINE has done fine against 3-4 man rushes. It's the blitzs they can't pick up, and Manning is the most blitzed QB

VonDoom
10-13-2015, 10:55 AM
If we can't run on the Browns then we can't run on anyone. 120 yards for Forsett Sunday.

I just looked up their team stats - they are 31st against the run, averaging 149.4 yards allowed. Ouch. Only Miami is worse so far. Then again, Detroit and Minnesota are 25th and 26th against the run, so ...

VonDoom
10-13-2015, 02:21 PM
Here's an interesting little fact that might come into play in this game - the Browns are third in the league at converting third downs (48%, behind only the Patriots and Falcons). The Broncos are first in lowest third down percentage allowed (29.7%). Who knew the Browns were so efficient this year? If we can rattle them, especially on third downs, that would go a long way to deciding this game.

VonDoom
10-14-2015, 11:39 AM
Nicki Jhabvala ‏@NickiJhabvala 17m17 minutes ago

Broncos announce they have waived Mitchell Henry and signed TE Richard Gordon.

VonDoom
10-14-2015, 11:40 AM
This week's TV maps are up, for our out of market fans:

http://506sports.com/nfl.php?yr=2015&wk=6

VonDoom
10-14-2015, 01:13 PM
Troy Renck ‏@TroyRenck 13m13 minutes ago

#Broncos Ty Sambrailo returns to practice

Andrew Mason ‏@MaseDenver 10m10 minutes ago

Not practicing today, but out here: Talib, Thompson, Mathis, Vasquez, Daniels, D.Thomas. Ware and Bruton aren't practicing, either.

Troy Renck ‏@TroyRenck 5m5 minutes ago

Manning participated in some throwing drills during open viewing basis But just made a handful of throws per his usual Wednesday routine

Troy Renck ‏@TroyRenck 17s17 seconds ago

#Broncos Ware not at practice. He's not expected to play this week. Wouldn't make much sense if not 100 percent. Give this week and bye week

Al Wilson 4 Mayor
10-14-2015, 01:42 PM
Troy Renck ‏@TroyRenck 13m13 minutes ago

#Broncos Ty Sambrailo returns to practice

Andrew Mason ‏@MaseDenver 10m10 minutes ago

Not practicing today, but out here: Talib, Thompson, Mathis, Vasquez, Daniels, D.Thomas. Ware and Bruton aren't practicing, either.

Manning participated in some throwing drills during open viewing basis But just made a handful of throws per his usual Wednesday routine

Troy Renck ‏@TroyRenck 17s17 seconds ago

#Broncos Ware not at practice. He's not expected to play this week. Wouldn't make much sense if not 100 percent. Give this week and bye week

Is Harris injured?

VonDoom
10-14-2015, 02:25 PM
Nicki Jhabvala ‏@NickiJhabvala 8m8 minutes ago

Kubiak said DeMarcus Ware looked "really good" today. Said he's day to day but bye week could factor into decision.

Troy Renck ‏@TroyRenck 4m4 minutes ago

Kubiak said offensive issues are on him. Blames himself. Said have to run ball better and get into more manageable third downs. #Broncos

Denver Broncos ‏@Broncos 6m6 minutes ago

Kubiak: "I see us, as a group, having to play consistent; play better. ... Not about one guy. It's about the football team." #DENvsCLE

Cameron Wolfe ‏@CameronWolfe 44s44 seconds ago

Kubiak said if Ty Sambrailo plays Sunday he will be in a platoon role getting back to action. Said tmrw's pad practice will have big impact.

VonDoom
10-14-2015, 02:26 PM
Mary Kay Cabot ‏@MaryKayCabot 10m10 minutes ago

Former #Browns and current #Broncos safety T.J. Ward: "I didn't feel like I was welcome back"

Mary Kay Cabot ‏@MaryKayCabot 3m3 minutes ago

#Broncos safety T.J. Ward acknowledged that he was upset when #Browns let him walk: "I think a lot of guys were''

Mary Kay Cabot ‏@MaryKayCabot 6m6 minutes ago

#Broncos TJ Ward: "I know there will be some boos when I start making plays"

VonDoom
10-14-2015, 02:34 PM
Denver Broncos ‏@Broncos 6m6 minutes ago

#Manning on INTs: "I believe they are [correctable.] Some have been poor decisions, some ... bad luck. Regardless, need to eliminate them."

Denver Native (Carol)
10-14-2015, 03:08 PM
This week's TV maps are up, for our out of market fans:

http://506sports.com/nfl.php?yr=2015&wk=6

JOY JOY - we get Dan Fouts

Denver Native (Carol)
10-14-2015, 03:09 PM
Troy Renck ‏@TroyRenck 50m

Kubiak said offensive issues are on him. Blames himself. Said have to run ball better and get into more manageable third downs. #Broncos

Troy Renck ‏@TroyRenck 54m

Talked to Malik Jackson. He was fined $17k plus for a horse collar tackle. He will appeal. #broncos

VonDoom
10-14-2015, 03:43 PM

Yeah, that Dan Fouts / Ian Eagle combo is one of the better broadcasting teams. I have no problems with that.

Canmore
10-14-2015, 03:53 PM

Fouts LOVES the Broncos.

Denver Native (Carol)
10-14-2015, 03:53 PM
Troy Renck ‏@TroyRenck 14m

#Broncos DeMarcus Ware will defer to training staff on whether he plays vs CLE. Feels better today,he told The Post: http://www.denverpost.com/broncos/ci_28968713/demarcus-ware-out-vs-browns-broncos-brace-possibility …

VonDoom
10-14-2015, 03:54 PM
Is Harris injured?

You mean Ryan, not Chris, right? I didn't see him mentioned anywhere, but the injury report lists him as limited with a knee injury for today.

Al Wilson 4 Mayor
10-14-2015, 08:57 PM

Ugh, I can't stand listening to him call Broncos games.

Denver Native (Carol)
10-15-2015, 01:21 PM
Troy Renck ‏@TroyRenck 22m

#broncos not practicing or limited: Mathis, DT, Juwan, Talib, Bolden. And don't see Ware out on field

Mike Klis ‏@MikeKlis 2h

Demaryius Thomas could be questionable against Browns http://on9news.tv/1RIpdbQ
via @9News

VonDoom
10-15-2015, 02:38 PM
I'm not at a computer so I can't cut and paste but two bits of info I saw on Twitter are a) Shaq Barrett will start for Ware, not Ray and b) Kubiak will decide tomorrow whether to call up Bibbs with Juwan hurting

Al Wilson 4 Mayor
10-15-2015, 03:05 PM
I'm not at a computer so I can't cut and paste but two bits of info I saw on Twitter are a) Shaq Barrett will start for Ware, not Ray and b) Kubiak will decide tomorrow whether to call up Bibbs with Juwan hurting

Barrett is an animal. I'm eager to see what he does with 30+ reps.

Denver Native (Carol)
10-15-2015, 03:24 PM
Broncos coach Gary Kubiak said Thursday edge rusher Shaquil Barrett will start Sunday if DeMarcus Ware can't play because of a back injury.

Kubiak made it seem unlikely Ware would be ready to go at Cleveland.

"DeMarcus has looked good the past two days, but he would have to take a big step (to play Sunday)," Kubiak said. "If he can't Shaq, has earned the right to play more."

rest - http://www.denverpost.com/broncos/ci_28975035/shaquil-barrett-will-start-broncos-if-demarcus-ware

underrated29
10-15-2015, 03:57 PM

Yes BIBBS!!!!

Watch him come in and kick ass!

SR
10-15-2015, 04:00 PM
Yes BIBBS!!!! Watch him come in and kick ass!

Not likely.

underrated29
10-15-2015, 04:13 PM
Not likely.

Nope. Even if he is called up its unlikely he will even see the field.

That said, Yes Bibbs!!!! Watch him come in and kick ass!

Denver Native (Carol)
10-15-2015, 04:35 PM
Troy Renck ‏@TroyRenck 48m

Feeling is Demaryius Thomas will play this week. Kubiak said he expects him to playJust needed extra rest/treatment for neck injury #Broncos

Troy Renck ‏@TroyRenck 1h

If Juwan Thompson can't go -- and it's not looking good -- Kapri Bibbs will get promoted.Makes sense. Gives RB depth, can play special teams

Slick
10-15-2015, 04:36 PM
If Thompson can't go they really need to call him up. Didn't both Hillman and CJ leave the field in Oakland because of minor injuries?

Slick
10-15-2015, 04:37 PM
As usual, Carol beats me to it. hehe.

Al Wilson 4 Mayor
10-15-2015, 04:42 PM
Nope. Even if he is called up its unlikely he will even see the field.

That said, Yes Bibbs!!!! Watch him come in and kick ass!

I don't know dude, if Thompson and Anderson don't dress, then it's likely.

TXBRONC
10-15-2015, 04:43 PM
As usual, Carol beats me to it. hehe.

You got to get up lighting fast to beat Carol to these things.

Slick
10-15-2015, 04:48 PM
You got to get up lighting fast to beat Carol to these things.

Two soup cans and a string is faster than the internet speeds here.

Denver Native (Carol)
10-15-2015, 05:08 PM
Jeff Legwold ‏@Jeff_Legwold 53m

And this is why talking to Broncos defensive coordinator Wade Phillips is like a ride through a football almanac,... http://espn.go.com/espn/now?nowId=21-0446420277417480667-4 …

VonDoom
10-15-2015, 05:44 PM
I don't know dude, if Thompson and Anderson don't dress, then it's likely.

Anderson isn't even on the injury report - he'll be playing. I do think it would be a risk to go into the game with only CJ and Hillman, which is why Bibbs will probably be called up. Will he see any touches? I mean, even Thompson has barely touched the ball this year, so I wouldn't count on anything from Bibbs.

NightTerror218
10-15-2015, 05:47 PM
Anderson isn't even on the injury report - he'll be playing. I do think it would be a risk to go into the game with only CJ and Hillman, which is why Bibbs will probably be called up. Will he see any touches? I mean, even Thompson has barely touched the ball this year, so I wouldn't count on anything from Bibbs.

Call Bibbs up, who is cut?

TXBRONC
10-15-2015, 06:16 PM

Richard Gordon a tight end they just signed recently.

NightTerror218
10-15-2015, 06:43 PM
Richard Gordon a tight end they just signed recently.

What is the point of even signing him then?

VonDoom
10-15-2015, 08:39 PM

Isn't there an o-lineman who hasn't dressed yet? If Sambrailo is good to go, that might be the spot. Just guessing, though.

TXBRONC
10-15-2015, 08:53 PM
What is the point of even signing him then?

Then who else NT? He's the only one I could think of.

underrated29
10-15-2015, 10:15 PM
Shelly smith? Maybe.

NightTerror218
10-15-2015, 10:40 PM
Then who else NT? He's the only one I could think of.

Anunike to IR maybe.

VonDoom
10-16-2015, 07:48 AM
Anunike to IR maybe.

He's practiced all week. Hopefully he'll play, not be put on IR

VonDoom
10-16-2015, 01:11 PM
Andrew Mason ‏@MaseDenver 1h1 hour ago

Demaryius Thomas and Aqib Talib returned to practice. Juwan Thompson, DeMarcus Ware and Evan Mathis remain sidelined.

Troy Renck ‏@TroyRenck 1h1 hour ago

If Mathis can't go with his hamstring injury, Max Garcia would be next man up. Have depth at guard w Garcia and Smith. #Broncos

Joel
10-16-2015, 01:25 PM
I know injuries are part of the game, but a new starter each week is the LAST thing we need for a line ALREADY struggling to coordinate with each other when it was the same 5 guys every time.

VonDoom
10-16-2015, 01:26 PM
Andrew Mason ‏@MaseDenver 7m7 minutes ago

Status for Sunday: Out: Sambailo, Ware. Questionable: Thomas, Talib, Thompson, Mathis. All others probable.

Kapri Bibbs has been prepared to play but no decision yet on whether activate him. Still concern whether Mathis will be able to play

Mike Klis ‏@MikeKlis 5m5 minutes ago

Evan Mathis will be game time decision - didn't practice all week

Troy Renck ‏@TroyRenck 3m3 minutes ago

With Sambrailo, he was unlikely to play more than 20-30 snaps so decision was made to give him more recovery time to be ready to start

Troy Renck ‏@TroyRenck 3m3 minutes ago

Even if Mathis does play Kubiak said Garcia could see some snaps

NightTerror218
10-16-2015, 01:46 PM
Excited to see Garcia get some G time. I though he did well in preseason. Learned from his mistakes fast. Worked well with Paradis too.

Denver Native (Carol)
10-16-2015, 01:53 PM
from article:

Thompson worked out with a strength and conditioning coach for a third consecutive day since injuring his hamstring against the Raiders. If he can't play, Kapri Bibbs is expected to be promoted from the practice squad.

http://www.denverbroncos.com/news-and-blogs/article-1/Broncos-injury-update-Thomas-Talib-return-Ware-Sambrailo-out-for-Sunday/d6f9e813-493e-4467-b278-b7a60e7c97fb

Denver Native (Carol)
10-16-2015, 02:34 PM
Troy Renck ‏@TroyRenck 14m

Even though RB Juwan Thompson listed as questionable, he did not practice this week. Means activating Bibbs still in play. No word yet.

Troy Renck ‏@TroyRenck 16m

Polumbus and Harris will both see time at left tackle.. It's a competitive situation. Player doing best will get most reps, Kubiak said.

underrated29
10-16-2015, 02:48 PM
Please not harris.....Not that polumbus is much better but shit....We really need to lock down the T situation. That is what is killing us the most. And LG, but MAD MAX is going to get play this time so hopefully he BOSS's

NightTerror218
10-16-2015, 04:02 PM
Please not harris.....Not that polumbus is much better but shit....We really need to lock down the T situation. That is what is killing us the most. And LG, but MAD MAX is going to get play this time so hopefully he BOSS's

Hard when Ty is huet. He is above and beyond starter at LT. Like I said game one he had Suggs, take two he had Hali, injured game 3. Rough start for any LT.

BroncoJoe
10-16-2015, 04:05 PM
Hard when Ty is huet. He is above and beyond starter at LT. Like I said game one he had Suggs, take two he had Hali, injured game 3. Rough start for any LT.

What?

NightTerror218
10-16-2015, 04:11 PM
What?

Ty is the best LT we have.

He faced two all pro players in week 1 and 2. Then got hurt in week 3. Rough start to a career. But that would be a rough start to any LT season. Suggs and Hali own LT all the time.

Al Wilson 4 Mayor
10-16-2015, 04:30 PM
Apparently depth and competitive are terms we use very loosely around here. :-)

BroncoJoe
10-16-2015, 04:35 PM
Ty is the best LT we have.

He faced two all pro players in week 1 and 2. Then got hurt in week 3. Rough start to a career. But that would be a rough start to any LT season. Suggs and Hali own LT all the time.

Just giving you a hard time. Your original post has a bunch of spelling errors / auto correct that it took a minute to realize what you were trying to say.

NightTerror218
10-16-2015, 04:47 PM
Just giving you a hard time. Your original post has a bunch of spelling errors / auto correct that it took a minute to realize what you were trying to say.

Auto correct does squat on my photo. Fat fingers I guess.

Joel
10-16-2015, 05:54 PM
Harris is better than Polumbus, if not generally, then at least right now: He knows Kubiaks playbook, and has been on the team >½ month. Also, Polumbus repeatedly let guys at Mannings blindside untouched last week. Perhaps most importantly, Harris is a nominal starter (albeit on the other side) when everyone (but Clady) is healthy, so he and the rest of the line need as much game time together as possible. On the other hand, Schofield was pretty disastrous on the right side last week, so I wouldn't be surprised if we go with the two vets until/unless Sambrailo's healthy.

Clady's ACL tear has REALLY screwed us badly, not only by placing a rookie at the most critical pass protection spot, but putting yet another new starter on the line. With two former All Pros returning and another among the replacements, we probably could've gotten by with a 2nd year PS center and a rookie at the less demanding RT spot; now it's just Vasquez plus a rotating cast of thousands.

NightTerror218
10-16-2015, 06:22 PM
Schofield improved later in the game.

Yashahla17
10-16-2015, 08:00 PM
Sure did. I think he's going to turn out to be a good right tackle. Especially once we get back to the scheme that fits Damn near all our o line best. Just watch when manning is gone what happens.

TXBRONC
10-16-2015, 08:31 PM
Schofield improved later in the game.

I think he's done ok in both games. In fact, I think he's done a better job than Harris.

Denver Native (Carol)
10-17-2015, 10:35 AM
Troy Renck ‏@TroyRenck 16m

A decision still pending regarding Kapri Bibbs. I still like chances of being activated since Juwan did not practice this week. No word yet

Ziggy
10-17-2015, 11:08 AM
Bibbs has been called up. Gordon waived.
http://www.denverbroncos.com/news-and-blogs/article-1/Broncos-add-Kapri-Bibbs-waive-Richard-Gordon/edd69d56-f318-4d09-910d-9651dbc714a6

This is good news for the Broncos. I still stand by my statement that Bibbs is the most talented pure runner on this team. If they give the kid some carries, he could provide a spark to this offense.

TXBRONC
10-17-2015, 12:09 PM
Bibbs has been called up. Gordon waived.
http://www.denverbroncos.com/news-and-blogs/article-1/Broncos-add-Kapri-Bibbs-waive-Richard-Gordon/edd69d56-f318-4d09-910d-9651dbc714a6

This is good news for the Broncos. I still stand by my statement that Bibbs is the most talented pure runner on this team. If they give the kid some carries, he could provide a spark to this offense.

If the offensive line can't do a better job of opening up holes I don't know how much better Bibbs will do.

Joel
10-17-2015, 12:20 PM
If the offensive line can't do a better job of opening up holes I don't know how much better Bibbs will do.
We've been doing this same "[current starting RB] is too slow, blind and fragile, but [RB we'll condemn the same way next month] is SO much better" schtick since Travis Henry got Correll Buckhalters job (or the other way around; I honestly can't recall anymore: There've simply been too many.) After half a dozen seasons one would expect most people to figure out the SOLE constant and REAL problem.

Denver Native (Carol)
10-17-2015, 02:09 PM
Jeff Legwold Retweeted
Sam Adams ‏@SamAdamsComedy 22h22 hours ago Cleveland, OH

I've been in Cleve for 3 days. They're still mad at Elway after 28 yrs. #DENvsCLE

Denver Native (Carol)
10-17-2015, 04:08 PM
Mike Klis ‏@MikeKlis 4h

Broncos asked Richard Gordon to stay in town. Decent chance team re-signs the veteran blocking TE next week. http://www.9news.com/sports/