PDA

View Full Version : That DEFENSE, though!!

dogfish
10-11-2015, 06:43 PM
gave up ten points, and scored seven. . .

:defense: :defense:

these boys are legit. . . i hope all you people worrying about manning can take a minute to just enjoy and appreciate what we're doing on the other side of the ball-- particularly in an era that is significantly slanted in the favor of offenses. . .

:defense:

i'm not good w/ the network graphic calling them the orange crush II, though. . . i, myself, am going to call them the Orange Rush. . . just a slight difference, but there's a deliberate distinction there. . . on a day when ware went down, barrett and ray made plays. . . all props to elway. . . he has figured out how to build a roster. . . :salute:

BroncoWave
10-11-2015, 06:44 PM
What I love most is the depth we have built there. Ware went down and the pass rush didn't miss a beat.

Northman
10-11-2015, 06:51 PM
Defense is awesome. Hope we can keep it intact for the Brock era.

BroncoWave
10-11-2015, 06:54 PM
It does kinda stink that we pick the years where we have an awful offense (2011, now) to have a great defense though. If just once we could put them both together!

Slick
10-11-2015, 06:59 PM
They were great again.

slim
10-11-2015, 07:01 PM
Unbelievable defense.

I'm as hard as diamond right now.

MOtorboat
10-11-2015, 07:02 PM
I enjoy winning hard-fought games.

I Eat Staples
10-11-2015, 07:03 PM
It does kinda stink that we pick the years where we have an awful offense (2011, now) to have a great defense though. If just once we could put them both together!

I think the 2011 defense wasn't actually as good as it was perceived to be by us fans. And to that point...

I'd like to see statistics on this because it could just be my perception/selection bias, but it seems like having a bad offense helps your defense, and having a great offense hurts your defense. If there's any merit to this, why could it be? My only thoughts are that great offenses that score quickly tire their own defense out, and bad offenses punt more which gives their defense better field position.

Or it could be that when your offense scores a lot of points, the other team actually plays to score instead of holding themselves back like so many coaches do.

Buff
10-11-2015, 07:11 PM
Easily the best defense I've ever seen in Denver in my lifetime. Elway's vision has come full circle 5 years into his tenure. It's a joy to watch.

Whatever we're paying Wade Phillips isn't enough. You really can't understate the value of playing an attacking style, with confident players who have faith in the scheme.

BroncoWave
10-11-2015, 07:14 PM
Easily the best defense I've ever seen in Denver in my lifetime. Elway's vision has come full circle 5 years into his tenure. It's a joy to watch.

Whatever we're paying Wade Phillips isn't enough. You really can't understate the value of playing an attacking style, with confident players who have faith in the scheme.

This team would be 1-4 or 0-5 if you put any other Broncos defense of yours or my lifetime with this offense. What Wade has done is incredible. I have no idea if there is a "coordinator of the year" award but if there is, he has earned it.

BroncoWave
10-11-2015, 07:15 PM
I think the 2011 defense wasn't actually as good as it was perceived to be by us fans. And to that point...

I'd like to see statistics on this because it could just be my perception/selection bias, but it seems like having a bad offense helps your defense, and having a great offense hurts your defense. If there's any merit to this, why could it be? My only thoughts are that great offenses that score quickly tire their own defense out, and bad offenses punt more which gives their defense better field position.

Or it could be that when your offense scores a lot of points, the other team actually plays to score instead of holding themselves back like so many coaches do.

I'd say the salary cap is another big part of that. Can't afford to stack both sides of the ball. If you overload your spending on one side, the other will suffer.

VonDoom
10-11-2015, 07:36 PM

Both 2012 and 2014 we had top five statistical defenses, with some potent offenses as well. I will say that the defense never felt like a shut down defense like this one does. We have a lot of the same players as last year, so I have to give all credit to Phillips. These guys are vicious. They go for the ball on almost every play too, which is leading to the big turnovers.

Timmy!
10-11-2015, 07:47 PM
Battle tested. 5-0 with the offense struggling, but doing just enough. If we can actually start running in 8 cylinders, instead of 5, watch out.

Ravage!!!
10-11-2015, 07:51 PM

yeah.. when you are puting up 30 points a game, the other team is throwing from the start...and putting up some pretty big passing n umbers against your defense. Can't be helped. Its again how sometimes "stats lie"...because unless you actually watch all defenses and how they are dealing with what is given, its hard to judge based on just numbers alone.

Joel
10-11-2015, 08:53 PM
yeah.. when you are puting up 30 points a game, the other team is throwing from the start...and putting up some pretty big passing n umbers against your defense. Can't be helped. Its again how sometimes "stats lie"...because unless you actually watch all defenses and how they are dealing with what is given, its hard to judge based on just numbers alone.
That was very true 2012-2013: We posted AWFUL season and average passing stats because we spent most of the second half of many games playing Prevent against teams who'd lost by the end of the 1st qtr.

Dapper Dan
10-11-2015, 09:21 PM
Several of these guys should be around for a while too.

Poet
10-11-2015, 09:29 PM
Wade Phillips is every bit the mastermind that LeBeau and Capers are/were. There's a reason why I have a lot of Denver defense on my FF teams.

Simple Jaded
10-11-2015, 10:28 PM
Does anybody think this D would be as good with Vance Joseph?

DenBronx
10-11-2015, 10:49 PM
Shane Ray is every bit as good as advertised. Dude will wreak havok when he gets his chance. Ware is an absolute beast and don't want him going anywhere. I like these guys being about to get a breather when needed.

Saw Wolfe make a few plays. Good to have him back.

Chris Harris was the games MVP. Each week there is a player on defense winning us the game. Nothing else to say but amazing.

If our offense had any identity at all we would be scary. Please Kubiak...figure this one out by the time we come back from the bye week.

Wade Phillips is a mastermind. Love that he is here.

Orange Rush. I like that.

Dapper Dan
10-12-2015, 05:54 AM
Mike Clay
Mike Clay – Verified account ‏@MikeClayNFL

Broncos are averaging 1.6 offensive TDs per game. Jaguars were last in the NFL at 1.5/game last year.

BroncoWave
10-12-2015, 06:09 AM
Mike Clay
Mike Clay – Verified account ‏@MikeClayNFL

Broncos are averaging 1.6 offensive TDs per game. Jaguars were last in the NFL at 1.5/game last year.

To add to this, Andrew Mason noted that the 2011 Tebow-led offense averaged 1.9 TD per game in case anyone is curious. :D

Dapper Dan
10-12-2015, 06:26 AM
I don't even know why I posted that in this thread. It's relevant somewhere.