PDA

View Full Version : DeMarcus Ware and the art of the sack

Denver Native (Carol)
10-03-2015, 08:06 PM
A time existed when an NFL pass rusher operated like a Tyrannosaurus Rex. He pursued the quarterback with carnivorous instincts and little concern of his path to the sack. Those are the days of the dinosaur. Watch the Broncos' DeMarcus Ware, currently the top performer on the NFL's top defense, and it's easy to see how the much the game has evolved.

Ware, 32, boasts the best start of his career at an age when he should be considering broadcasting options. Pass rushers aren't supposed to get better when they get older, especially one who finished with just one sack in the final seven games last season.

Part of what sets Ware apart is film study, a constant processing of information. He has turned the art of the sack into a blend of analytics and brute instincts.

"I look at tape week in and week out on one guy who I am going to be facing. It's like a chess match. What would I do when this guy did that move? And I watch it 40 times, the same play over and over and over," Ware said last week. "I then see how he handled different types of rushers. Then I got back to that play. It's seared into my head once I go into the game."

rest - http://www.denverpost.com/broncos/ci_28917684/art-sack

Denver Native (Carol)
10-03-2015, 08:25 PM
from same article:

Ware has become so adept at analyzing offensive sets that he has developed a code language with Miller. He will yell across to him using key words known only to them that tip off a protection scheme, or the right time to use a move they worked on in practice.

http://www.denverpost.com/broncos/ci_28917684/art-sack

TXBRONC
10-03-2015, 08:31 PM
I just can't wait to see Miller get on roll with getting sacks.

NightTerror218
10-03-2015, 11:39 PM
I just can't wait to see Miller get on roll with getting sacks.

I think it will happen as protection shifts over to Ware. Pick your poison.

TXBRONC
10-04-2015, 07:59 AM

Agreed. Opponents may be forced to play it straight up or go to more two tight end sets.

Joel
10-07-2015, 06:53 PM
Could be this week or the next, since Wolfes return should improve a starting DE pair already pretty good pass rushers by 3-4 standards. Sly's still demanding double teams and pressing the pocket as a NT should, so double him, double Ware, double Miller... that's a half dozen blockers right there, so either (at least) one of them's one-on-one or Jackson AND Wolfe are unblocked. Pick your poison, indeed.