PDA

View Full Version : Broncos to visit with OT Tyler Polumbus

VonDoom
09-30-2015, 09:49 PM
Per Klis. He's taking a physical tomorrow and could dress Sunday if they sign him:

Polumbus has played in 101 NFL games with 57 starts predominately in the zone-blocking scheme. He was first signed by the Mike Shanahan-led Broncos in 2008 and started half the season for Josh McDaniels' Broncos in 2009.

Polumbus moved on in 2010 to the Seattle Seahawks where he was reunited with former Broncos' offensive play-caller Jeremy Bates. In 2012 he moved on to Washington where he was reunited with Shanahan.

Polumbus played three games this year with the Falcons whose offensive coordinator was Kyle Shanahan, Mike's son.

And now it's possible Polumbus could be reunited with Rick Dennison, who was the Broncos' offensive coordinator in 2008 and offensive line coach in 2009.

Polumbus was released by the Falcons for two reasons: One, veteran Jake Long has worked himself into shape and is now available to fill the swing tackle role. And two, Atlanta needed to re-sign practice squad tight end Mickey Shuler after starter Jacob Tamme suffered a concussion Sunday at Dallas. Tamme played the previous three season with the Broncos.

http://www.9news.com/story/sports/nfl/denver-broncos/mike-klis/2015/09/30/tyler-polumbus-denver-broncos/73123434/

BroncoWave
09-30-2015, 09:52 PM
Meh.

Dzone
09-30-2015, 10:06 PM
So they cut him to make room for Jake Long who is now ready to play. Way to go Elwoood

TXBRONC
09-30-2015, 10:12 PM
So they cut him to make room for Jake Long who is now ready to play. Way to go Elwoood

Denver's not the only team that passed on him and besides that with his injury history no thanks.

Also he's only going to be a back up tackle.

CrazyHorse
09-30-2015, 10:32 PM
The offensive line woes are solved.

#Championship

underrated29
09-30-2015, 11:02 PM
Tyler polumbus, oh dear god

Al Wilson 4 Mayor
09-30-2015, 11:44 PM
It simply comes down to whether he's a better swing tackle than what we have.

DenBronx
10-01-2015, 05:20 AM
Crap....yeah Long was a much better choice. Last year Richie Incognito could of helped us alot. Then we get rid of Franklin. Not sure what we are trying to do sometimes. You would think OL protection would be a priority.

BroncoWave
10-01-2015, 06:33 AM
Crap....yeah Long was a much better choice. Last year Richie Incognito could of helped us alot. Then we get rid of Franklin. Not sure what we are trying to do sometimes. You would think OL protection would be a priority.

We can't get every FA that becomes available. Sometimes guys choose to go elsewhere.

VonDoom
10-01-2015, 06:34 AM
It simply comes down to whether he's a better swing tackle than what we have.

We let Franklin go because he was commanding top tier money. I wanted to keep him (I've made that clear here) but it is what it is at this point. Plus we brought in Mathis. Guard should not be our issue. Tackle is. The only questionable move there is letting Clark go for peanuts. He would have been fine to step in here as the swing tackle. Now we're scrambling, which makes it seem like they don't have faith in Schofield to start if needed. No one said Polumbus would be a starter. Al Wilson is right - the only question is whether he is better than Schofield right now.

TXBRONC
10-01-2015, 07:27 AM

Elway worked Long out and did not like what he saw and apparently he wasn't in very good shape. He's going there to be a back up tackle and what's to say that he would even be able to do things Denver would need him to do in zbs?

GEM
10-01-2015, 07:43 AM
It's insurance. Sambailo sat out of practice yesterday because of the forearm injury on Sunday.

Dean
10-01-2015, 08:36 AM
We let Franklin go because he was commanding top tier money. I wanted to keep him (I've made that clear here) but it is what it is at this point. Plus we brought in Mathis. Guard should not be our issue. Tackle is. The only questionable move there is letting Clark go for peanuts. He would have been fine to step in here as the swing tackle. Now we're scrambling, which makes it seem like they don't have faith in Schofield to start if needed. No one said Polumbus would be a starter. Al Wilson is right - [B[the only question is whether he is better than Schofield right now.[/B]

Schofield was inactive last game leaving no swing tackle suited up. To me if a staff trusts moving a nontackle to play in the event of an injury over a player who has been the back up and played preseason and in practice, that means there is not much confidence in Schofield.

VonDoom
10-01-2015, 09:57 AM
Schofield was inactive last game leaving no swing tackle suited up. To me if a staff trusts moving a nontackle to play in the event of an injury over a player who has been the back up and played preseason and in practice, that means there is not much confidence in Schofield.

I would agree, but if that's the case, I'm not sure why we traded Clark. Maybe they were hoping Schofield would have improved by now, but that's looking less likely if they have no plan to use him unless there's no other option.

Ravage!!!
10-01-2015, 10:07 AM
what kind of moves do you expect there to be to be a #championship move? They will always be insurances and back-ups.

GEM
10-01-2015, 10:31 AM
Can we just move on from Schofield already....if he hasn't done it yet, he probably isn't going to.

Ziggy
10-01-2015, 10:44 AM
If only Elway knew what he was doing when it comes to free agency.

GEM
10-01-2015, 10:55 AM

You should find a sarcasm smilie...

Hardwired
10-01-2015, 11:13 AM
Mike Klis says we signed Polumbus, pending a physical.

Denver Native (Carol)
10-01-2015, 11:22 AM
Troy Renck ‏@TroyRenck 15m

#Broncos sign OT Tyler Polumbus, a former CU Buff and bronco. Gives team depth w Sambrailo's status uncertain and Schofield unproven

VonDoom
10-01-2015, 11:22 AM
Mike Klis says we signed Polumbus, pending a physical.

Yeah, looks like a done deal:

Troy Renck ‏@TroyRenck 15m15 minutes ago

#Broncos sign OT Tyler Polumbus, a former CU Buff and bronco. Gives team depth w Sambrailo's status uncertain and Schofield unproven

Dzone
10-01-2015, 11:49 AM
Good signing under the circumstances.

Buff
10-01-2015, 11:57 AM
Oh sweet Jesus - you know things are bad when you're bringing in Polumbus.

VonDoom
10-01-2015, 12:14 PM
Nicki Jhabvala ‏@NickiJhabvala 9m9 minutes ago

Broncos have waived Josh Bush to make room for OT Tyler Polumbus.

Dzone
10-01-2015, 12:37 PM
Is he really that bad? He cant be much worse than Sambailo...That guy was getting beat like a poinata

Denver Native (Carol)
10-01-2015, 12:52 PM
ENGLEWOOD, Colo. -- With Ty Sambrailo recovering from a shoulder injury suffered in last Sunday's 24-12 win over the Detroit Lions, the Broncos turned to a familiar face for additional depth, signing Tyler Polumbus.

To make room for Polumbus on the 53-man roster, the Broncos waived safety Josh Bush.

Few players know zone-blocking based schemes better than Polumbus, who has played in various iterations of the scheme in Denver, Seattle, Washington and most recently Atlanta during his eight-season career.

rest - http://www.denverbroncos.com/news-and-blogs/article-1/Broncos-bring-back-OT-Tyler-Polumbus/5e2f016a-21a7-49f4-8329-50d24ee8fcde

GEM
10-01-2015, 12:58 PM
I don't think Sambrailo has been horrible for a rookie trying to cover LT in an offense headed by a statuesque Peyton Manning. Now if you want to talk turnstile, let's talk about Mathis...

Traveler
10-01-2015, 01:57 PM

Sarcasm so thick you can cut it with a knife.

TXBRONC
10-01-2015, 02:01 PM
Is he really that bad? He cant be much worse than Sambailo...That guy was getting beat like a poinata

Sambailo seems to be improving as the season goes on.

VonDoom
10-01-2015, 02:29 PM
Sambailo seems to be improving as the season goes on.

Yeah, Sambrailo has not really been the problem. He's a rookie thrust into the hardest O-line position immediately. He really hasn't been bad. Mathis has not been good so far (though I think he was better the last game) and Paradis has been suspect in the middle.

silkamilkamonico
10-01-2015, 02:32 PM
Sambraillo has been up and down but what do you expect. Mathis on the other hand has been graded the worst olinemen in the NFL up to this point. Makes me wonder why they just don't go with Max Garcia sooner rather than later.

VonDoom
10-01-2015, 02:47 PM
Sambraillo has been up and down but what do you expect. Mathis on the other hand has been graded the worst olinemen in the NFL up to this point. Makes me wonder why they just don't go with Max Garcia sooner rather than later.

Mathis has been limited or not practicing this week, so you might get your wish with Garcia.

tripp
10-01-2015, 02:51 PM
Just when we get some sort of consistency going in our O-line and now injuries are piling. Uh Ooohhhh.

Buff
10-01-2015, 02:55 PM

He's the classic offensive linemen on roller skates. Will spend a lot of time getting bull rushed into our backfield - but he's a massive dude and pretty athletic, so he should at least be a serviceable backup.

BroncoJoe
10-01-2015, 03:05 PM

WTF is a poinata?

Anyway, as many have stated already, Sambrailo has not played bad at all considering he's a rookie playing LT. He's a massive dude too. I noticed that during the Chiefs game when he stands next to the other OL'men. 6'5", 315 lbs.

NightTerror218
10-01-2015, 03:05 PM

A little exaggeration, that was only week 1

GEM
10-01-2015, 03:55 PM
A little exaggeration, that was only week 1

Mathis? Not an exaggeration. He's been bad...real bad. Some improvement, but definitely does not look like a pro bowl guard.

Joel
10-01-2015, 04:11 PM
Long lacks the extensive ZBS experience Polumbus got from Shanny on two different teams, starting two seasons on one. Also: http://espn.go.com/blog/nflnation/post/_/id/146937/timing-of-sam-bradford-jake-long-acl-injuries-eerily-similar

It's one thing to a tear an ACL, and another to RE-tear it. It's an altogether different thing for the SAME SURGEON to TWICE repair the SAME ACL on TEAMMATES in 10 MONTHS. That article should be very unnerving for the Rams, 'Skins and, of course, Falcons. I'll prefer a decent swing tackle who knows our system well to a stud one who doesn't and is playing on a knee held together with bubblegum.

I'm not saying 52 games and 35 starts in the ZBS makes Polumbus plug 'n play; Ryan Harris has 59 and 21 between Shanny and Kubiak, and hasn't done any better than the rest of our remedial line. But expecting Long to do any better when two other All Pros haven't and he doesn't know the system is probably wishful thinking, and expecting him to finish the season at ANY performance level may also be.

TXBRONC
10-01-2015, 04:36 PM
Yeah, Sambrailo has not really been the problem. He's a rookie thrust into the hardest O-line position immediately. He really hasn't been bad. Mathis has not been good so far (though I think he was better the last game) and Paradis has been suspect in the middle.

I agree I think Mathis did a better job in the last game. Hopefully the offense will get it's act together in the run game.

Dzone
10-01-2015, 05:08 PM
WTF is a poinata?

Anyway, as many have stated already, Sambrailo has not played bad at all considering he's a rookie playing LT. He's a massive dude too. I noticed that during the Chiefs game when he stands next to the other OL'men. 6'5", 315 lbs.

lol...Sambrailo is going to be a good tackle, just sucks that he has to learn at Peyton mannings expense. Wasnt clady an all pro his rookie year?

Denver Native (Carol)
10-01-2015, 07:17 PM
Multiple injuries, roster flexibility and familiarity drove the Broncos to sign free-agent offensive tackle Tyler Polumbus to a one-year deal Thursday.

With Ty Sambrailo unable to practice yet this week because of a left shoulder injury, Evan Mathis watching Thursday with a hamstring injury and Louis Vasquez nursing a sore knee, the Broncos wanted veteran protection. Polumbus, who spent the season's first three weeks in Atlanta running a zone-blocking scheme similar to the Broncos, can play both tackle positions, and could play on Sunday given the inexperience of Michael Schofield.

"We need somebody here right now that has some playing time under their belt," coach Gary Kubiak said. "It was a nice fit for us to be able to pick him up."

rest - http://www.denverpost.com/broncos/ci_28908651/tyler-polumbus-helps-broncos-tackle-line-problem-ty

Al Wilson 4 Mayor
10-01-2015, 11:16 PM

Lol

TXBRONC
10-02-2015, 07:03 AM
lol...Sambrailo is going to be a good tackle, just sucks that he has to learn at Peyton mannings expense. Wasnt clady an all pro his rookie year?

Clady was also a top 15 draft pick.

nevcraw
10-02-2015, 03:30 PM
TS is out. Schofield to right. Harris to left and Polumbo is swing.. should be a real good week to get that ground game going...

NightTerror218
10-02-2015, 03:32 PM
Mathis? Not an exaggeration. He's been bad...real bad. Some improvement, but definitely does not look like a pro bowl guard.

There is a difference between bad and the worst Guard in the NFL. He looked better last game. Pro bowl caliber, no. But neither has Vasquez.

I Eat Staples
10-02-2015, 03:55 PM
Mathis had a positive grade against Detroit right? Still hoping he just needs to get back into game shape. He was very good last year when healthy.

And he's still better than the two atrocities the Eagles are currently playing at guard.

Slick
10-02-2015, 04:01 PM
TS is out. Schofield to right. Harris to left and Polumbo is swing.. should be a real good week to get that ground game going...

This is not good. Minnesota has a solid D line. I wouldn't expect much. Defense is going to have to hold it down again.

Krugan
10-02-2015, 06:10 PM
Ouch, well, it will take abit longer to get the Oline tuned in, or maybe this will be an amazing switch and all the lights will turn on.

Simple Jaded
10-03-2015, 04:34 PM
Tyler polumbus, oh dear god

He fits the system, U29. Yay, zone block system, so much fun.

Joel
10-03-2015, 05:19 PM
Ouch, well, it will take abit longer to get the Oline tuned in, or maybe this will be an amazing switch and all the lights will turn on.
I wouldn't bet on the latter: When a line's biggest problem is that no one knows anyone else OR the system, swapping a starter for second year guy from last years PS can only hurt.