PDA

View Full Version : Practice / press conference notes - week 4 (Minnesota week)

Denver Native (Carol)
09-30-2015, 12:59 PM
Elway Access: Playing with confidence

In his weekly interview, John Elway talks about the progress made by the offense and what it will take for the defense to slow down Adrian Peterson this week.

http://www.denverbroncos.com/multimedia/videos/Elway-Access-Playing-with-confidence/c228d273-3745-49a4-8e73-5c2e3625e607

VonDoom
09-30-2015, 01:16 PM
Thanks for starting the thread, Carol. I was hoping we'd have some press conference stuff by now, but I guess it's coming later.

This seems like as good a place as any to post this, though. If you're out of market, check this map to see if the game is being broadcast in your area. I heard that originally many places were going to get GB/SF but our game seems more appealing and took over more markets (including the one I'm in):

http://506sports.com/

VonDoom
09-30-2015, 01:47 PM
Troy Renck ‏@TroyRenck 16m16 minutes ago

#broncos Juwan Thompson is practicing. Neck injury better. AC/DC also playing. But that's only better for me i suppose

Mike Klis ‏@MikeKlis 15m15 minutes ago

Peyton didn't throw during warmup portion- is taking walk through reps

Troy Renck ‏@TroyRenck 14m14 minutes ago

#broncos Louis Vasquez getting his veteran rest day with Max Garcia in his place at right guard

Troy Renck ‏@TroyRenck 12m12 minutes ago

Ty Sambrailo is not practicing. Acc to @Jeff_Legwold, Sambrailo hurt arm vs lions. See how he progresses during the week

Manning getting reps in today. Kubiak has indicated there would be some flexibility in his rest schedule #broncos

Mike Klis ‏@MikeKlis 6m6 minutes ago

Kayvon Webster back practicing

VonDoom
09-30-2015, 03:23 PM
Andrew Mason ‏@MaseDenver 20m20 minutes ago

Anunike had a full practice today. So did Juwan Thompson. Sambrailo has a "sore shoulder" and is day-to-day, Kubiak said.

Troy Renck ‏@TroyRenck 19m19 minutes ago

#broncos Vasquez and Manning received rest days. Manning did some reps in individual work

Andrew Mason ‏@MaseDenver 19m19 minutes ago

"That was the best we've protected our QB," Kubiak said of last week. "Some good things, but (still) a struggle to get the run game going."

Andrew Mason ‏@MaseDenver 18m18 minutes ago

Kubiak said the RBs need more space to run, but also that they've got to make their own space, too.

Kubiak: TJ Ward was the team's defensive player of the game.

Kubiak: Vikings are the most physical team the Broncos have faced so far.

Andrew Mason ‏@MaseDenver 15m15 minutes ago

Kubiak said he hopes Sambrailo can practice tomorrow but that he was really sore today.

VonDoom
09-30-2015, 03:25 PM
Denver Broncos ‏@Broncos 55s55 seconds ago

#Manning on @owendaniels' high-jump TD vs #Lions: "He's made that catch a lot over the years. ... I just wanted to give him a chance."

Denver Broncos ‏@Broncos 3m3 minutes ago

#Manning: "We'll have our hands full with [the @Vikings] on Sunday."

Nicki Jhabvala ‏@NickiJhabvala 1m1 minute ago

Peyton on @b_fowler13: "Throwing to him five times I think shows my confidence in him."

Troy Renck ‏@TroyRenck 2m2 minutes ago

#broncos manning said Fowler is fearless over the middle and has speed to go deep. Manning said that they trust him

Denver Broncos ‏@Broncos 1m1 minute ago

#Manning: "We're still learning. Every week presents a new challenge. Still plenty of improvement to be made."

VonDoom
09-30-2015, 04:29 PM
I can't find the Tweet, but if Sambrailo can't play, they used Harris at LT and Schofield at RT. Yikes

BroncoJoe
09-30-2015, 04:56 PM
Sambrailo will play.

underrated29
09-30-2015, 05:08 PM
Ty is one tough SOB!

He finished the game with that injury. That same injury has kept him from practicing at all this week so far. I really really like Ty. He was not my fav pick at the time but man is he quickly becoming one of them.

PS- we be fugged if harris and schofield start for us. This viking pass rush doesnt get a lot of recognition but they are very very good. I wouldnt mind going 2wr 2te for majority of the game to help our T and maybe pop some running lanes open.

TY we need you this week! Heal up

SR
09-30-2015, 05:16 PM
Ty is one tough SOB! He finished the game with that injury. That same injury has kept him from practicing at all this week so far. I really really like Ty. He was not my fav pick at the time but man is he quickly becoming one of them. PS- we be fugged if harris and schofield start for us. This viking pass rush doesnt get a lot of recognition but they are very very good. I wouldnt mind going 2wr 2te for majority of the game to help our T and maybe pop some running lanes open. TY we need you this week! Heal up

If Harris is starting? Who has been the starting right tackle all year?

underrated29
09-30-2015, 05:26 PM

Harris at LT.
Back in the day he was a good LT for us. Now, he is a mediocre RT. Moving him back to LT would be even worse. We have already seen how average he is at RT this year.

TXBRONC
09-30-2015, 05:28 PM

Under is still a little emotional over the ribbing he's gotten over his sudden fandom of Bennie Fowler. He's just not thinking straight.

Hi Under! :wave:

TXBRONC
09-30-2015, 05:31 PM
Harris at LT.
Back in the day he was a good LT for us. Now, he is a mediocre RT. Moving him back to LT would be even worse. We have already seen how average he is at RT this year.

Under, Harris has never played left tackle for Denver. He was the right tackle in his first stint with Denver as well as this one.

SR
09-30-2015, 07:04 PM
Harris at LT. Back in the day he was a good LT for us. Now, he is a mediocre RT. Moving him back to LT would be even worse. We have already seen how average he is at RT this year.

Maybe you're confusing him with Clark?

underrated29
09-30-2015, 07:10 PM
U
Under, Harris has never played left tackle for Denver. He was the right tackle in his first stint with Denver as well as this one.

Maybe you're confusing him with Clark?

Tx is right. I was thinking to the quote from shanny where he said Harris was a better LT than clady (pre clady draft), but shanny used that as a smokescreen so no one would know that's whom he wanted. He never actually played it for us tho. I was mistaken.

Either way, Harris at LT is an even worse play than he is at RT.

VonDoom
10-01-2015, 01:23 PM
Mike Klis ‏@MikeKlis 7m7 minutes ago

Ty Sambrailo (shoulder) nor Evan Mathis (hammy) practicing #9NEWS #9sports

Mike Klis ‏@MikeKlis 5m5 minutes ago

TE Owen Daniels observing but not practicing #9news #9sports

Troy Renck ‏@TroyRenck 3m3 minutes ago

#broncos Tyler Polumbus is practicing. Evan Mathis and Owen Daniels getting veteran day off it appears

Troy Renck ‏@TroyRenck 59s60 seconds ago

#broncos James Casey not practicing either

Denver Native (Carol)
10-01-2015, 02:18 PM
Troy Renck ‏@TroyRenck 11m

Sambrailo remains day to day w shoulder. But w Vasquez and Mathis also on injury report signing vet Polumbus who knows system a solid move

VonDoom
10-01-2015, 03:11 PM
Troy Renck ‏@TroyRenck 13m13 minutes ago

Kubiak said on Polumbus "it was a nice fit for us. It has to be realistic to play. He has played a lot of football"

Nicki Jhabvala ‏@NickiJhabvala 12m12 minutes ago

Kubiak said Evan Mathis held out for rest today. Hamstring bothering him yesterday.

Kubiak said Expects Mathis to practice tomorrow

Nicki Jhabvala ‏@NickiJhabvala 11m11 minutes ago

Kubiak said Todd Davis held out because his ankle was bothering him.

VonDoom
10-01-2015, 03:13 PM
Troy Renck ‏@TroyRenck 9m9 minutes ago

DeCamilis said NFL wanted excitement in extra point and "they got it"Said being at 15-yd line makes it unlikely see a fake. Opens up blocks

Troy Renck ‏@TroyRenck 8m8 minutes ago

OC Dennison said not looking too far ahead w Polumbus But didn't rule out him playing

Nicki Jhabvala ‏@NickiJhabvala 7m7 minutes ago

OC Rick Dennison on run game: "it's not anyone's fault. It's the entire team's problem."

Nicki Jhabvala ‏@NickiJhabvala 7m7 minutes ago

Dennison on RBs : "Whoever finds holes, we'll play."

Nicki Jhabvala ‏@NickiJhabvala 5m5 minutes ago

Phillips on @DeMarcusWare: "He's in a class by himself, and I've been lucky to coach him."

Troy Renck ‏@TroyRenck 16s16 seconds ago

DC Phillips compared Ware to Bruce Smith and Reggie white. All talented players and "they all work hard"

Troy Renck ‏@TroyRenck 3m3 minutes ago

Phillips said key anticipating not guessing when addressing a team's tendencies

VonDoom
10-02-2015, 12:21 PM
Troy Renck ‏@TroyRenck 6m6 minutes ago

#broncos Ty Sambrailo not practicing. Evan Mathis returns. Casey watching practice

No Ty Sambrailo at practice - can't see him playing Sunday. #9news #9sports

CoachChaz
10-02-2015, 01:18 PM
Troy Renck ‏@TroyRenck 6m6 minutes ago

#broncos Ty Sambrailo not practicing. Evan Mathis returns. Casey watching practice

No Ty Sambrailo at practice - can't see him playing Sunday. #9news #9sports

Everson Griffen licking his chops

VonDoom
10-02-2015, 01:29 PM
Everson Griffen licking his chops

No kidding. The update is that Sambrailo is OUT for Sunday:

Nicki Jhabvala ‏@NickiJhabvala 1m1 minute ago

Kubiak said Ty Sambrailo is out this weekend.

Andrew Mason ‏@MaseDenver 1m1 minute ago

Questionable for Sunday: James Casey and Todd Davis.

Troy Renck ‏@TroyRenck 40s40 seconds ago

Kubiak said Ryan Harris will start at left tackle and Schofield at RT

VonDoom
10-02-2015, 01:35 PM
Denver Broncos ‏@Broncos 6m6 minutes ago

Coach Kubiak: "[Sambrailo's] made progress ... We worked him a bit this morning ... Felt like we should go this direction." #MINvsDEN

Denver Broncos ‏@Broncos 1m1 minute ago

Kubiak on @CjAndersonRB9: "He's worked really hard ... We had a really physical practice Thursday, and he responded."

Troy Renck ‏@TroyRenck 59s60 seconds ago

Kubiak said CJ remains the starter. That had great practice on Thursday. Said he needs to make plays, make guys miss too

Denver Native (Carol)
10-02-2015, 02:51 PM
Mike Klis ‏@MikeKlis 42m

Von Miller not fined for roughing the passer penalty #9news #9sports

Mike Klis ‏@MikeKlis 44m

Broncos DT Sylvester Williams fined standard $8,681 for late hit/unnecessary roughness penalty vs Lions #9NEWS #9sports

Mike Klis ‏@MikeKlis 1h

Ryan Harris moves to LT Michael Schofield starts at RT. Tyler Polumbus is backup tackle #9news #9sports

VonDoom
10-02-2015, 03:08 PM
Von may not have been fined for roughing, but ...

Mike Klis ‏@MikeKlis 3m3 minutes ago

Von Miller fined $11,567 for unsportsmanlike conduct resulting from -ahem-inappropriate sack dance #9news #9sports

VonDoom
10-02-2015, 03:20 PM
Cameron Wolfe ‏@CameronWolfe 3m3 minutes ago

Not only will Sunday be RT Michael Schofield's first start. It'll be his NFL first snap. Yikes.

BroncoJoe
10-02-2015, 05:12 PM
Von may not have been fined for roughing, but ...

Mike Klis ‏@MikeKlis 3m3 minutes ago

Von Miller fined $11,567 for unsportsmanlike conduct resulting from -ahem-inappropriate sack dance #9news #9sports

That fine is ridiculous, but I wasn't thrilled with his dance. Frankly, I found it embarrassing.

NightTerror218
10-02-2015, 05:39 PM
Cameron Wolfe ‏@CameronWolfe 3m3 minutes ago

Not only will Sunday be RT Michael Schofield's first start. It'll be his NFL first snap. Yikes.

Glad he is not on left side

Joel
10-02-2015, 06:06 PM
That fine is ridiculous, but I wasn't thrilled with his dance. Frankly, I found it embarrassing.
Evidently the NFL agreed—eventually; ow many YEARS did it wait to fine him for a nearly WEEKLY act the rules EXPLICTLY ban? Funny thing: The rule specifies a 15 yd unsportsmanlike fine (which Miller has YET to receive) and NOT a fine (which he received instead.) Goodell may not be just arbitrarily and inconsitently making it up as he goes along, but from the outside it's sure hard to tell the difference.

Meanwhile, I already had a bad feeling about this game, and shifting a journeyman with an injury history to guarding Manning blindside while replaced by second year guy getting his first NFL snap just makes it worse. Wanted to draft a lineman higher than Schofield last year, wanted to draft one higher than Sambrailo this year. I love Kubes more than most, but: Just how much space does he expect CJ and Co. (let alone Manning) to make out there?

On the road, with a recently rebuilt line, including a pair of guys getting their first NFL plays, protecting an immobile 39-year-old bionic QB and trying to improve a rushing attack whose last game produced a season-low <2.2 yds/att. While facing arguably the best RB of his generation. C'mon, D; pick Bridgewaters pocket a few times and let Manning get away with handing off for 2 yds/play: It's worked so far (but how long can it continue...?)

Denver Native (Carol)
10-02-2015, 06:58 PM
Good afternoon, #BroncosCountry –

Happy Friday! We hope you’re decked out in orange and blue today, and have made sure to show your Broncos allegiance to any Vikings fans (like this guy). Sunday should be a beautiful day at Sports Authority Field at Mile High, but while you’re patiently waiting, here are three storylines you should get caught up on before then, starting with our favorite quarterback:

1. Manning talks with KOA
Peyton Manning wears his jersey all day before a game?

That’s just one thing that he claimed to be true on his weekly segment with 850KOA (Although, we’re not sure we believe him — he’s got jokes).

In this week’s conversation with Dave Logan, Manning also talked about the offense’s strides in the win against Detroit and how they’re preparing for the Vikings defense.

“What you see on film is impressive,” Manning said. “When you watch their defense – they’re active, they play real hard. They do a good job of communicating, which I think is impressive.”

Listen to it all here:

rest - plus Wade video
http://www.denverbroncos.com/news-and-blogs/article-1/The-Squeeze-Peyton-Manning-and-Chris-Harris-Jr-the-underdog/6173a4a7-cf56-4df0-b4f0-a95b0e167fa1

Denver Native (Carol)
10-02-2015, 07:28 PM
It's like deja vu for Broncos tackle Michael Schofield. One man's injury is another man's opportunity. And Schofield is the benefactor.

Coach Gary Kubiak announced Friday that starting left tackle Ty Sambrailo would be out Sunday versus Minnesota with a shoulder injury. The blowback effects two spots on the offensive line with Kubiak moving starting right tackle Ryan Harris to left tackle and the 6-foot-6, 301-pound Schofield getting the start at right tackle.

WATCH: Why is Michael Schofield starting at tackle?

Not only will it be Schofield's first start, it'll be his first career NFL snap.

"I'll definitely have some butterflies. I'm sure everyone does in their first game. I've just got to go out there, play with confidence and play with good technique," said Schofield, in his second season with the Broncos.

rest - http://www.denverpost.com/broncos/ci_28913472/michael-schofield-planning-prove-his-worth-broncos-first

dogfish
10-02-2015, 11:17 PM
schofield starting? be afraid. . . be very afraid. . .

Al Wilson 4 Mayor
10-03-2015, 01:35 AM
Ugh. ..our defense might need to score for us again

dogfish
10-03-2015, 01:40 AM
Ugh. ..our defense might need to score for us again

twice. . . :D

:MOjo:

Joel
10-03-2015, 05:28 PM
schofield starting? be afraid. . . be very afraid. . .
I am... I very am....

On the other hand, I was also very worried the last time we played a potential HoF RB (with All Pro pass rushers,) on three days rest in a divisional game at one of the NFLs toughest stadiums for visitors, and that worked out for us. On yet a third hand (and don't ask what I'm counting on now) I doubt we can "count on" Peterson giving the ball away twice, Bridgewater doing it twice more and their punt returner giving us a fifth turnover. Plus, even if Sambrailo's a rookie blindside protector, he was still better than Schofield, else he wouldn't started while Schofield was deactivated last week.

About the best I can say is that Harris has more savvy and a longer resume than Sambrailo OR Schofield, and at least Schofield's starting on the side where Manning usually has a chance to see blown blocks in time to do something. Then again, that's also the side where he got plowed for a 20 yd sack when Daniels whiffed a block; Manning ran, but a 39-year-old hobbling Manning can't outrun top NFL blitzers.