PDA

View Full Version : Bennie Fowler appreciation thread

LawDog
09-28-2015, 12:30 AM
Dude had a great night, with I think 4 third down conversions. Anyway, I think he's going to be very good for this team over time.

CrazyHorse
09-28-2015, 12:33 AM
He's done more than Latimer, that's for sure.

NightTrainLayne
09-28-2015, 12:36 AM
Peyton trusts him, and he delivered when it counted.

Joel
09-28-2015, 02:03 AM
Dude had a great night, with I think 4 third down conversions. Anyway, I think he's going to be very good for this team over time.

Was it really that many? Because I'm pretty sure it was all one ONE drive; I couldn't understand why they didn't go back to him after that, especially with DT dropping balls and fumbling them reaching for conversions. Fowler should totally be #3 now (or #2 with Sanders back in the slot; that'd be scary.) Not to take anything away from Norwood, who was decent, but Fowler's dynamic; a playmaker.

SR
09-28-2015, 06:17 AM
Norwood and Fowler have made Latimer expendable. Unless Latimer does something in the next couple weeks, I don't know why they're carrying dead weight on the active roster.

BroncoWave
09-28-2015, 06:21 AM
I wish Elway was as good at picking in the first few rounds as he is finding these hidden gems

Dapper Dan
09-28-2015, 06:22 AM
I wish Elway was as good at picking in the first few rounds as he is finding these hidden gems

We should just trade them

tomjonesrocks
09-28-2015, 06:57 AM
Was good to see Fowler getting some snaps. Norwood is both small and slow and Caldwell is Caldwell.

Latimer is a mystery. Guys with all the talent and physical attributes but never do anything exist though. Guess he's one of those guys.

VonDoom
09-28-2015, 08:14 AM
I love when training camp / preseason darlings deliver in the regular season. It was awesome seeing Fowler deliver out there last night. Good thread ;)

VonDoom
09-28-2015, 08:25 AM
Was it really that many? Because I'm pretty sure it was all one ONE drive; I couldn't understand why they didn't go back to him after that, especially with DT dropping balls and fumbling them reaching for conversions. Fowler should totally be #3 now (or #2 with Sanders back in the slot; that'd be scary.) Not to take anything away from Norwood, who was decent, but Fowler's dynamic; a playmaker.

I looked at the game book - he had four catches for 50 yards, all for first downs (catches of 13, 13, 11 and 13 yards, respectively). Two were on one drive in the second quarter, one was on that last drive of the quarter and one was in the fourth.

CoachChaz
09-28-2015, 12:59 PM
I made the comment to someone the other day that Elway should just trade his 2nd round pick every year.

dogfish
09-28-2015, 01:03 PM
that's my boy! go bennie!

Northman
09-28-2015, 01:05 PM
He's a keeper.

Davii
09-28-2015, 01:11 PM
He impressed last night, no doubt. Glad to see it!

Joel
09-28-2015, 01:45 PM
We should just trade them

This isn't a bad idea if a likely bust 2nd rounder has enough value to get a decent OT before the deadline. My first thought when Sambrailo started rubbing his elbow was "isn't Schofield inactive?"

I looked at the game book - he had four catches for 50 yards, all for first downs (catches of 13, 13, 11 and 13 yards, respectively). Two were on one drive in the second quarter, one was on that last drive of the quarter and one was in the fourth.

Guess it just seemed like all at once (and I'd forgotten the one in the 4th; was that on one of the TD drives?) Either way, Fowler did more in a game than Latimer has in a season plus.

VonDoom
09-28-2015, 02:12 PM
Guess it just seemed like all at once (and I'd forgotten the one in the 4th; was that on one of the TD drives?) Either way, Fowler did more in a game than Latimer has in a season plus.

It was the drive in which we scored the FG to go up 17-12. It was actually the first play of the drive, getting us into FG range immediately. We then saw our typical two yard run, the screen pass to DT that went for negative one yard and an incomplete to DT (might have been one of his drops) before the FG attempt / penalty / FG conversion.

And I agree about Latimer. I was all for giving him some time, but man, he must be pretty bad to be bypassed on the depth chart so quickly. Was he even on the field last night besides ST?

tripp
09-28-2015, 03:02 PM
He's a big tough receiver with good hands. I think he compliments DT and Sanders very well. I think he deserves to be given more chances in the following weeks. Hopefully we can build a nice enough lead during the next 3 games where we can devote some plays to Bennie.

Joel
09-28-2015, 03:46 PM
It was the drive in which we scored the FG to go up 17-12. It was actually the first play of the drive, getting us into FG range immediately. We then saw our typical two yard run, the screen pass to DT that went for negative one yard and an incomplete to DT (might have been one of his drops) before the FG attempt / penalty / FG conversion.
Yeah, going from memory since you jogged it, but think you're right about DT having one bounce off his hands over the middle and a couple yards past the marker on 3rd. Really had to laugh at that penalty, 'cause you just KNEW when we were lining up for that first try this would be the time the pressure finally got to McManus.

Been thinking a lot about that bubble screen, and not just because I loved it as much as anyone when it worked (think DTs 80 yarder for a TD was Mannings score as a Bronco) but hate it as much now that everyone's figured out how we use it. We've KEPT using it, from Mannings FIRST GAME as a Bronco till his most recent—through 2 HCs and 3 OCs: So which of our stubborn, unimaginative boneheaded coaches do we REALLY think keeps calling it? ;) It's a nice well-designed play, and was devastatingly effective a long time; so was the Packer Sweep, but defenses eventually figured it out, too.

And I agree about Latimer. I was all for giving him some time, but man, he must be pretty bad to be bypassed on the depth chart so quickly. Was he even on the field last night besides ST?

Never saw him, which doesn't mean much in itself, but they kept saying Kubiak said his gameplan was to use our WRs. Think I saw Bubba a few times, but don't recall Latimer.

He's a big tough receiver with good hands. I think he compliments DT and Sanders very well. I think he deserves to be given more chances in the following weeks. Hopefully we can build a nice enough lead during the next 3 games where we can devote some plays to Bennie.

Yeah, if Fowler keeps playing like last night we can put him on the other side as a "Baby DT" and Sanders back in the slot, where he absolutely shreds nickelbacks, LBs and safeties.

Al Wilson 4 Mayor
09-29-2015, 09:24 AM
Bennie was pretty effective in the slot. I still think we should give Austin Pettis a work out.

Joel
09-29-2015, 12:24 PM
Bennie was pretty effective in the slot. I still think we should give Austin Pettis a work out.
Not to dispute Fowler produced in the slot, nor deny Sanders has been consistently lethal (often when NO ONE else did squat) outside, but Fowler's got 2" and 20 lbs. on him, so might be better outside, with Sanders back in the slot possession role for which we signed him. Guess it depends on whether we want a similar or complementary #1 and #2, and prefer speed or size in the slot.

However we slice or distribute it though, Fowlers single game vs. Detroit (though it WAS just ONE game) was head and shoulders above anything anyone but DT and Sanders have done so far: Default #3.

TXBRONC
09-29-2015, 01:35 PM

I would like see Fowler get more reps. Norwood did ok but Fowler was twice as effective.

Dzone
09-29-2015, 03:48 PM
Fox might be stupid enough to give us a 4th string tackle for Latimer

Joel
09-29-2015, 04:09 PM
Fox might be stupid enough to give us a 4th string tackle for Latimer
Yeah, but since he publicly called Chris Clark "the best backup OT in the league" I'd hate to see what he considers 4th string. Catch 22, maybe; need an idiot to give high value for a 2nd round pick #6 on the depth chart, but don't WANT an idiots hand-picked players.

Al Wilson 4 Mayor
09-29-2015, 04:46 PM
If fowler can run clean routes it makes him effective in the slot because most nickel backs are small corners or safeties.

I think his lack of speed might minimize his effectiveness on the outside.

TXBRONC
09-29-2015, 09:44 PM
If fowler can run clean routes it makes him effective in the slot because most nickel backs are small corners or safeties.

I think his lack of speed might minimize his effectiveness on the outside.

Fowler isn't Calvin Johnson fast but I think he has Eric Decker type speed he may even prove to have more grit than Decker does.

tomjonesrocks
09-29-2015, 10:03 PM
Chris Harris was saying on the Fan today how good Latimer is - that he faces him every week that he's better than the receivers he faces in the games. Better than Golden Tate (ok not super lofty praise there) by name. Said he's "ready".

Brought him up to say it. Wonder what the deal is then.

tomjonesrocks
09-29-2015, 10:30 PM
Hah. Meanwhile just noticed Shannon Sharpe today saying Latimer can't play...

shannon sharpe– Verified account ‏@ShannonSharpe

He can't play. R u satisfied now? "@EricWoods15: @ShannonSharpe @NickFerguson_25 Can u guys figure the situation with #Latimer??"
7:55 PM - 27 Sep 2015
https://twitter.com/shannonsharpe/status/648330092259749888

CrazyHorse
09-30-2015, 12:40 AM
Yeah, but since he publicly called Chris Clark "the best backup OT in the league" I'd hate to see what he considers 4th string. Catch 22, maybe; need an idiot to give high value for a 2nd round pick #6 on the depth chart, but don't WANT an idiots hand-picked players.

He was solid 2 years ago. It wasn't him that sucked against the Seahawks. I think it was Beadles and Franlkin.

Chris Harris was saying on the Fan today how good Latimer is - that he faces him every week that he's better than the receivers he faces in the games. Better than Golden Tate (ok not super lofty praise there) by name. Said he's "ready".

Brought him up to say it. Wonder what the deal is then.

Lack of chemistry with Peyton. He seems to have it with Oz though.

Timmy!
09-30-2015, 12:50 AM
Dog had this months ago.......I'm not sold, yet, but the kid looks solid.

Al Wilson 4 Mayor
09-30-2015, 12:57 AM
Fowler isn't Calvin Johnson fast but I think he has Eric Decker type speed he may even prove to have more grit than Decker does.
I don't know, he doesn't look to me like a 4.5 guy....maybe I'm wrong. He has a nice catching radius and he's physical however.

dogfish
09-30-2015, 01:03 AM
I don't know, he doesn't look to me like a 4.5 guy....maybe I'm wrong. He has a nice catching radius and he's physical however.

FWIW, draftscout (http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/draft/players/1700493/bennie-fowler) has his combine 40 @ 4.49-- NFL.com profile says 4.52. . .

TXBRONC
09-30-2015, 06:47 AM

FWIW, draftscout (http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/draft/players/1700493/bennie-fowler) has his combine 40 @ 4.49-- NFL.com profile says 4.52. . .

Eat it Al. :lol:

I'm just kidding friend. :D

Al Wilson 4 Mayor
09-30-2015, 09:00 AM
Jeesh, ok, ok!

pnbronco
09-30-2015, 11:55 AM
What I like about Bennie...is that he gives it everything he's got. He doesn't have the most talent out there, but you've got heart and determination and it looks like he is gaining Peyton's trust. Looking forward to seeing more of him.

TXBRONC
09-30-2015, 12:09 PM
Jeesh, ok, ok!

Just to be sure, I want you to know I was just kidding. :cheers:

Al Wilson 4 Mayor
09-30-2015, 01:20 PM
Just to be sure, I want you to know I was just kidding. :cheers:
I'm not that thin skinned dude. :D

TXBRONC
09-30-2015, 05:21 PM
I'm not that thin skinned dude. :D

That's true, underrated on the other hand well........