PDA

View Full Version : Sylvester Williams proving worthy to anchor Broncos' defense

Denver Native (Carol)
09-26-2015, 05:44 PM
DeMarcus Ware, Von Miller rave about Williams' progress in year three

For Sylvester Williams, the pressure was building like an overfilled water balloon in the summertime. No more kid gloves. No more giving him time to adjust. No more talk of potential.

After two years of subpar-to-average play from their 2013 first-round pick, the Broncos took a leap of faith. They decided to let their mammoth nose tackle Terrance "Pot Roast" Knighton go in free agency and hand the torch to an unproven Williams.

The coaching staff admittedly was uneasy. They knew he had the talent, but could he put it all together on the field in a new system?

Through two games, the answer has been a resounding yes. Lost in the shuffle of the veteran-led, top-ranked defense has been Williams' play as the anchor in the middle.

rest - http://www.denverpost.com/broncos/ci_28879026/sylvester-williams-proving-worthy-anchor-broncos-defense

Joel
09-26-2015, 06:32 PM
I confess I'd wondered about this, too, and still do a little (it's only been 2 games, after all.) As the article notes, he added significant weight but REMAINS lighter than the prototypical 3-4 NT. They're the biggest of the big men, because it takes a LOT of strength and mass to beat frequent double teams from a PAIR of 300+ lb. guards; when both dig in their heels to uphold a pocket, it's impossible for anyone but a sumo. Speed, quickness, agility and reflexes are great, but can't dent a thick wall of pure muscle, so I was worried about a guy noted for his quickness playing UT next to NTs like Knighton and Vickerson.

All that's why I'm also glad Kilgo's exceeded most peoples expectations. Even NTs have longer highlight reels and stat sheets than their BACKUPS, but the biggest of the big are also the tiredest of the tired by the 4th unless someone solid's there to give periodic breathers. I used to point to Casey Hampton and Chris Hoke in Pitt: Hoke'll never reach Canton as a career-backup at a position almost as invisible as guard, but for 8 seasons Pitt could spell their starter without the whole NFL running up the gut unopposed, which sustained Hampton at a level high enough to reach 5 Pro Bowls and win 2/3 SBs.

If that helps: Hoke was 20 lbs. lighter AND an inch taller than Sly (though Hampton was thicker: Same weight, but an inch shorter.) He's big enough; if Wade says he's got the talent and drive, I believe it.

TXBRONC
09-26-2015, 06:50 PM
While been two games it also his third year so if he's going to develop into a top flight nose tackle it's this year. As it has been said before if there is anyone who can help Williams suceed it's Wade Phillips.

Joel
09-26-2015, 07:17 PM
While been two games it also his third year so if he's going to develop into a top flight nose tackle it's this year. As it has been said before if there is anyone who can help Williams suceed it's Wade Phillips.
I can't fault him not being a top NT his first two years: We had a PAIR of darned good ones his rookie year (until Vickersons hip dislocation) and still had one last year when Sly started at UT alongside him. Did GB even HAVE a 3rd string QB behind Favre and Rodgers? If so, he sat because they were so good, not because he was so bad; GB wouldn't have wasted 1/48 active spots just to keep a bad player dressed in case BOTH first ballot HoFers went down at once. We released a couple good DTs last year and kept two better backups, but Sly STARTED, as he has since the end of his rookie year.

Remember, we drafted Sly as an UT, not (even a 4-3) NT, so he couldn't be any kind of NT till ASKED (ask Elway why that's worth a 1st round pick; I wanted an OFFENSIVE lineman--but when DON'T I? :tongue:)

tomjonesrocks
09-26-2015, 07:44 PM
It's nice to read as I thought letting Roast go was among the riskiest moves in the offseason. Hope it lasts.

DenBronx
09-26-2015, 08:25 PM

Wade is getting the best out of all of these guys. That's how you know he is a good DC.

TXBRONC
09-27-2015, 08:03 AM
Wade is getting the best out of all of these guys. That's how you know he is a good DC.

I also said the same thing. Philips is one of best defensive coordinators in the game.

Ravage!!!
09-27-2015, 10:48 AM
Will be nice to get some back from suspension, as well.

TXBRONC
09-28-2015, 06:32 AM
He had a very good game last night.