PDA

View Full Version : What happens if the Broncos don't re-sign Brock Osweiler?

Denver Native (Carol)
09-23-2015, 12:11 PM
If we don't re-sign Brock Osweiler by the end of the season, what do you think happens? Go with Trevor Siemian or draft high again?

— Brooks Lee, Kalamazoo, Mi.

Brooks: As we sit here today, I expect them to make a strong effort to keep Brock Osweiler. He made strides in the spring and preseason. Any real evaluation will have to wait until a real game, but his progress was encouraging. There's no denying how highly this coaching staff thinks of Trevor Siemian. I do think it would impact their search for a quarterback if Osweiler were to leave via free agency. They would still look to add depth, but I doubt they would use a high draft pick for the position.

rest - more questions and answers
http://www.denverpost.com/broncosmailbag/ci_28858850/what-happens-if-broncos-dont-re-sign-brock-osweiler

Buff
09-23-2015, 12:19 PM
Guy is going to get a sweet 2nd contract on potential alone. Tons of failed backup QBs are envious of the fact that he didn't have to play for 4 years.

chazoe60
09-23-2015, 12:23 PM
Then we roll with Siemian.

DenBronx
09-23-2015, 12:25 PM
We draft J. Goff from Cal State Bears and then shit on the whole NFL is what happens!!!

Valar Morghulis
09-23-2015, 12:56 PM
Or Cook at Michigan State

Joel
09-23-2015, 01:22 PM
I'd be slightly surprised if it weren't at least a 2nd rounder, too. I think (hope) Schaub playing both of them out of a job--almost singlehandedly ending the championship runs of a teams STACKED everywhere else--finally taught Kubiak that a great QB coach can make almost any bum off the street a Pro Bowler once or twice (I think he even did it with Griese) but NEVER a champion.

How 'bout Barry (J) Sanders in the 1st, a talented but underrated small school QB in the 2nd, and OLBs and DBs the rest of the draft; that's all anyone needs, right? :tongue:

Valar Morghulis
09-23-2015, 01:36 PM
if we are being nostalgic - why not pick up macaffery's kid - i think he is at stanford too, although it does not answer the original question - so if brock leaves, i see us picking a qb in the second or third round of the draft and a journey man, the rest of the draft and off season moves will all be Oline,

underrated29
09-23-2015, 01:57 PM
He wont leave. We will re-sign him to a 3 million dollar contract w incentives or something. He will sign because he knows he will 1) be the starter with excellent weapons, SB aspirations and no competition and 2) he knows the system and runs it well.

No where else will he be guaranteed a starter with no competition
No where else will he have the weapons on offense that we do
No where else will he find a system like this that he is used too

We know these things as well and will be able to sign him for super cheap. Just like the pats* did with ryan mallett before they traded him.

Timmy!
09-23-2015, 02:13 PM
Lol@3 mil. Its gonna take more than that. I have a friend that is 2nd cousins with Brock (or some sort of relation like that...no, really) and from what I heard this summer if he doesn't get a "sizeable" contract offer from Denver he will walk in FA. He's going to get some cash thrown at him.

Buff
09-23-2015, 02:16 PM
Lol@3 mil. Its gonna take more than that. I have a friend that is 2nd cousins with Brock (or some sort of relation like that...no, really) and from what I heard this summer if he doesn't get a "sizeable" contract offer from Denver he will walk in FA. He's going to get some cash thrown at him.

Matt effing Cassel got 2 years $10 million in the offseason - granted he got cut and didn't get that contract, but still. Someone will laughably overpay him because the whole league is so strapped for QBs.

Timmy!
09-23-2015, 02:26 PM
Matt effing Cassel got 2 years $10 million in the offseason - granted he got cut and didn't get that contract, but still. Someone will laughably overpay him because the whole league is so strapped for QBs.

Hopefully he will take a small discount to stay in Denver, but you gotta figure its going to take around 7-8mil per year at least. I'm betting Elway steps up.

Joel
09-23-2015, 02:26 PM
if we are being nostalgic - why not pick up macaffery's kid - i think he is at stanford too, although it does not answer the original question - so if brock leaves, i see us picking a qb in the second or third round of the draft and a journey man, the rest of the draft and off season moves will all be Oline,

I agree with those who've always defended the Manning signing on the grounds elite QBs are rare enough they can take years, even decades, to replace. But without protection even the best rookie QBs can and usually do turn to garbage, often permanently, so a team spending the #1 overall pick (which we won't get) on a guy like Luck is a good way to doom him as the next David Carr unless it already has a decent line to protect him until he learns the pro ropes. We don't want a guy "learning" to be confused, scared and frantic, then spending the rest of his career trying to unlearn that (see: Plummer, Jake.)

Thing is, with a great line a team can still bust off 150 yds rushing every week even with average RBs, and wait until a great QB comes along, then trade up to get him; with just a great QB... well, look at Peyton Mannings current and former teams: Can't run OR pass. An elite line and elite QB cost about the same, but, going back to Kings recent points about flexiblity, an elite line provides far more. It takes more signings to assemble, but that just mitigates the rarity of finding that ONE great QB, and one injury on a great line doesn't cripple it as with QBs (sorry, Dallas: You're done.)

Ideally, we'd like HoFers everywhere, but there are only so many picks and so much cap space; forced to pick, I'd rather get the line first and then QB. My main fear on the latter is wanting a great passer so badly we reach for a bad one (another reason to wait for the right ONE player while cobbling together five great blockers; that's almost automatically a multi-year fix.) I brought up Barry Jr. mainly because his dad's the only one who'd have a chance behind this line (he sure got the experience in Detroit) and drafting the next Aaron Rodgers can't fix that. There's a reason Barry gave up in his prime, too.

Dapper Dan
09-23-2015, 02:33 PM
We'll sign Luck

Northman
09-23-2015, 02:36 PM
Doubt Denver lets him walk after putting that much work into him and have yet to see him play a meaningful game.

Joel
09-23-2015, 03:57 PM
Doubt Denver lets him walk after putting that much work into him and have yet to see him play a meaningful game.
I'm unsure how much work they DID put into him under Fox, but one popularly suspected cause of Mannings difficulties so far is that, for the first time in his pro career, Oz got a fair amount of first team practices in this preseason. The official explanation is that we were trying to keep Mannings load light enough he doesn't collapse into his rocker by December, and there's probably a lot of truth to that, but a lot of it surely had something to do with preparing a QB the preferred talents for Kubiaks offense to run it after Mannings imminent retirement, whatever its precise date. So, yeah, I doubt they show him the playbook and the door on the same day.

I just doubt they put all their eggs in one basket with such a pivotal position when even the best rated talent is hit or miss while untested. I know many camp watchers are high on Siemian, but many were high on our last 7th round QB the last couple years, and he's not even on the team now. The statistical reality is that in more than a decade, only 2 QBs drafted after the 3rd round (and only half a dozen drafted after the 2nd) earned lasting starts.

Ravage!!!
09-23-2015, 04:07 PM
He wont leave. We will re-sign him to a 3 million dollar contract w incentives or something. He will sign because he knows he will 1) be the starter with excellent weapons, SB aspirations and no competition and 2) he knows the system and runs it well.

No where else will he be guaranteed a starter with no competition
No where else will he have the weapons on offense that we do
No where else will he find a system like this that he is used too

We know these things as well and will be able to sign him for super cheap. Just like the pats* did with ryan mallett before they traded him.

Dude... its almost 4:20 here, it might be time for you to take another hit of whatever it is you are smoking.

silkamilkamonico
09-23-2015, 05:29 PM
Carson Wentz out of North Dakota State. Not even joking. That dude would absolutely kill it in Kubiak's system.

UnderArmour
09-23-2015, 05:32 PM
He gets the transition tag if the team can't reach a deal. Price tag seems steep at first glance, but Brock is not an expendable commodity. We can't risk Houston or Kansas City taking him.

Shazam!
09-23-2015, 05:35 PM
Oz isn't going anywhere. This is why Elway got him here.

BroncoWave
09-23-2015, 05:39 PM
My guess is he re-signs here probably somewhere in the 10-15 mil a year range.

OrangeHoof
09-23-2015, 05:41 PM
Brock, meet Scott Mitchell.

BroncoWave
09-23-2015, 05:46 PM
My guess is he re-signs here probably somewhere in the 10-15 mil a year range.

Expanding on this, I looked at Aaron Rodgers' second deal since he is really the only comparable situation to ours that I can think of. His second deal (which was signed early in his first year as the starter, so he had played, but not a lot) was for 10.5 million a year. Factor in how much QB contracts have blown up since 2008, and also the fact that Oz was second rounder and not a first, and the 10-15 mil a year number seems right about on target.

TXBRONC
09-23-2015, 05:49 PM

That's uncalled for Hoof. :tsk: :tsk:

DenBronx
09-23-2015, 06:01 PM
Goff or bust if we dont resign Brock. He makes all of your other college QBs look like clowns.

https://youtu.be/cEGafktM5r4

tomjonesrocks
09-23-2015, 06:15 PM
I can't believe I'm saying this but I want to see Brock before Denver goes another direction at this point.

Before this year I really could not see any potential. Loathed the pick, and no QB at that height has ever been truly successful. Why would you try to break new ground? Seemed like a rookie GM misstep on the ill-advised recommendation of his son. And still have no inclination to move Manning to the bench in his favor.

But Brock looked good this year and has grown into his frame physically. While looking more like a specimen, he still doesn't quite look the part of QB, but I'm intrigued where I absolutely has no interest previously. It does seem he has some leadership as well which is amazing as he looks like a 6'8" tribal-tattooed doofus.

Kinda hope Manning has a very minor twinge along the way so he gets rest whether he likes it or not and we get a real, regular-season look at what Denver has.

aberdien
09-23-2015, 06:42 PM
Manning will inevitably get hurt this year (#oline) so Brock will get a chance to show us if he is worth resigning or not.

Joel
09-23-2015, 06:43 PM
Osweilers expiring contract is yet another reason to spend something much higher than a 7th round pick on a QB next year. We'll probably still need at least a quality OT: After 3 serious, debilitating and lingering injuries to the same outside leg in 6 years, I don't know if Clady will ever look himself again, plus he's pushing 30 with a huge contract; MHR's already speculated he's done in Denver, while ESPN says a restructure is likely. Yet even if we go for several linemen early, I could see a QB in the 2nd or 3rd. $10 million is a lot for a question mark, and no one wants to try developing a young QB behind a Swiss cheese line providing no protection nor run support. $10 million could plug several holes whose elimination's vital to the success of WHOEVER succeeds Manning.

sneakers
09-23-2015, 07:17 PM
I don't see how they wouldn't sign him

Shazam!
09-23-2015, 07:19 PM

Didn't he attempt suicide?

DenBronx
09-23-2015, 07:28 PM
We cant spend a 2nd round pick on a player were never going to let see the field. That would be an epic waste.

If Brock wants more than 12 mill then he can walk though.

Al Wilson 4 Mayor
09-23-2015, 07:31 PM
Manning will inevitably get hurt this year (#oline) so Brock will get a chance to show us if he is worth resigning or not.

This might be true.

underrated29
09-23-2015, 11:51 PM
If what Timmy says is true then he can pound sand. He hasn't proven jack to deserve a contract that big. What's his name? Hackenberg in the first or something.

Transition tag is a great idea too. I don't see anyway that he walks and elway is the master negotiator.

MOtorboat
09-24-2015, 01:25 AM
If what Timmy says is true then he can pound sand. He hasn't proven jack to deserve a contract that big. What's his name? Hackenberg in the first or something.

Transition tag is a great idea too. I don't see anyway that he walks and elway is the master negotiator.

Here we go again.

I know most of you know how negotiations work. UR, I KNOW you know how negotiations work. Use your brain and don't get so upset at players for starting negotiations higher than they're worth. And don't automatically assume anything the Broncos offer is appropriate. Elway has a history of low-balling talent.

Open minds...

underrated29
09-24-2015, 09:29 AM
Oh I know how it'll go....ultimately from the sidelines I do not see Brock worth 10per or close. Maybe that's what the market sets, maybe that's what elway is willing for him. If it was me I would have my scout dept keep a strong eye on hackenberg or whatever his name is.

BroncoJoe
09-24-2015, 09:41 AM
I'd be surprised if he gets in the $10 million range - but stranger things have happened. He won't be in the $3-4 million range though.

Ravage!!!
09-24-2015, 09:50 AM
I'd be surprised if he gets in the $10 million range - but stranger things have happened. He won't be in the $3-4 million range though.

I think it depends. Whats the "average" starting QB salary around the NFL? If Brock is named the starter, or expected to be the starter, when he signs his contract... then he won't simply accept back-up money. I mean, he could get that anywhere. Chase Daniels is getting over 2 million to sit the bench in KC, so underrated guess was wayyyyy off. The new signings for top QBs is 20 million, so has to be somewhere around 10 as a starter, I would imagine.

Timmy!
09-24-2015, 09:59 AM
Its going to take somewhere between 8-10mil. If the Broncos dont pony up Oz will get 11+ on the open market. /thread

BigDaddyBronco
09-24-2015, 10:00 AM
My guess is that Manning retires after the season and they have all the money they need to get Brock, Von, and whoever else is up for renewal.

That is of course after we win it all this year and Manning rides off into the sunset a la John Elway.

BroncoWave
09-24-2015, 10:09 AM
If Elway keeps Brock for less than 10 mill a year, he is a god.

Buff
09-24-2015, 10:14 AM
If Elway keeps Brock for less than 10 mill a year, he is a god.

Brock ain't gon' get no $10 mil per year.

He's gonna get the Ryan Mallet contract, plus maybe a little extra if some team wants to lure him away from Denver. He'll come in somewhere around $4-6 mil/yr, with some incentives for playing bonuses. Probably on a 2-3 year deal so that he can get another contract if he plays well.

BroncoJoe
09-24-2015, 10:17 AM
Y'all are probably right - it seems like a lot ($10MM) for a guy who hasn't played. But, I guess there are others getting big contracts straight out of college. It'll be really interesting to see what happens. I hope the signing bonus isn't astronomical in case he doesn't work out. Not sure why I hope that since it's not my money though!

Ravage!!!
09-24-2015, 10:18 AM
Brock ain't gon' get no $10 mil per year.

He's gonna get the Ryan Mallet contract, plus maybe a little extra if some team wants to lure him away from Denver. He'll come in somewhere around $4-6 mil/yr, with some incentives for playing bonuses. Probably on a 2-3 year deal so that he can get another contract if he plays well.

That's a fair comparison... Ryan Mallet. I didn't even think of that one, and I also didn't know the numbers. I think it depends on if they sign Brock to be THE starter, or if they bring in a vet to compete with him for the starting job. THere is benefits and negatives to both situations. You don't want your young QB looking over his shoulder if you feel he has the goods to do the job.

Mallet wasn't guaranteed the starting role, so that could make a difference in the contract.

BroncoJoe
09-24-2015, 10:26 AM
That's a fair comparison... Ryan Mallet. I didn't even think of that one, and I also didn't know the numbers. I think it depends on if they sign Brock to be THE starter, or if they bring in a vet to compete with him for the starting job. THere is benefits and negatives to both situations. You don't want your young QB looking over his shoulder if you feel he has the goods to do the job.

Mallet wasn't guaranteed the starting role, so that could make a difference in the contract.

Ryan Mallett signed a 2 year, $7,000,000 contract with the Houston Texans, including $1,750,000 guaranteed, and an average annual salary of $3,500,000.

http://www.spotrac.com/nfl/houston-texans/ryan-mallett/

pulse
09-24-2015, 10:29 AM
I don't think it's a forgone conclusion that Brock would be the starter in 2016. I think there is still a real possibility that our old QB might actually finish out his contract. If Brock had significant time as a starter on his resumé, I could see him getting something more than 4 million. Perhaps he is a very capable starter and the staff knows this for sure. But whether that has been hidden by being Manning's backup for four years or merely based on his performances in preseason and practice, the fact he has yet to win a regular NFL game as a starter does not change his value as a career backup QB. Any contract that far exceeds the value for a QB that has only been a backup would be absurd. On the other hand, if Manning gets injured in 2015 and Brock steps in and performs like a starter and noticeably helps us keep winning, then you absolutely throw money at him because every other team in need of a QB is going to want him. His value would clearly skyrocket. But for now Brock Osweiler is still a mystery. Pardon me if I sound disrespectful to Brock, but I don't hear or see reports of Brock's merits in practice creating a huge dilemma for the staff or that his talents scream franchise QB by clearly outperforming his 39 year-old teammate. This isn't an Aaron Rodgers / Brett Favre situation. There is the real possibility that Brock remains a mystery until 2017 if he does indeed get resigned by Denver. But if he wants to bargain as a proven starter and tries to command that value, I can see Denver letting him walk and dipping into the 2016 draft for a new QB.

OrangeHoof
09-24-2015, 10:37 AM

You could be right. I wasn't thinking about that. I was merely contrasting someone who signed a huge free agent deal based largely on being the backup to a famous quarterback while hardly seeing the field.

A review of his wikipedia page shows his career wasn't quite the disaster it was made out to be. There's no mention of any suicides but he was on The Biggest Loser reality series because of his weight.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Scott_Mitchell_%28American_football%29

TXBRONC
09-24-2015, 10:39 AM
If Manning plays the entire season Elway will have some leverage but if he is truly interested and believes Osweiler is a franchise quarterback Elway is going to have come up with a way to keep him interested. Don't think that just because Osweiler hasn't played that all Elway has to do is offer him what's ever in his pocket, a full pack of Juicy Fruit gum, and contract that is completely incentive based and Osweiler will jump for joy.

While no one wants Manning to get hurt but if that were to happen and Osweiler has to step in that changes everything. If he preforms well and Denver still makes the playoffs he's going have a lot of leverage.

OrangeHoof
09-24-2015, 10:50 AM
One thing Kubiak/Manning need to do that Fox/Manning didn't will be to give Osweiler a lot of garbage time snaps. Manning doesn't have any major passing records to pursue now. The goal is to have him healthy for the playoffs so they really should switch to Oz when they go up by 21 points or more. Somehow, as a career backup, you'd think Kubiak would know that instinctively but his Houston career doesn't seem to distinguish that - although the situation in Houston was a little different.

pulse
09-24-2015, 10:56 AM
One thing Kubiak/Manning need to do that Fox/Manning didn't will be to give Osweiler a lot of garbage time snaps. Manning doesn't have any major passing records to pursue now. The goal is to have him healthy for the playoffs so they really should switch to Oz when they go up by 21 points or more. Somehow, as a career backup, you'd think Kubiak would know that instinctively but his Houston career doesn't seem to distinguish that - although the situation in Houston was a little different.

Depends on the situation and the team you're facing. 21 points in nothing in the today's NFL. I wouldn't take Manning out of the game unless it was the fourth quarter and the game is well in hand (that could be 21 points). But if you're playing Green Bay or New England, hell no. Of course, you're probably not up 21 points on either of those teams.

Ravage!!!
09-24-2015, 11:00 AM
Depends on the situation and the team you're facing. 21 points in nothing in the today's NFL. I wouldn't take Manning out of the game unless it was the fourth quarter and the game is well in hand (that could be 21 points). But if you're playing Green Bay or New England, hell no. Of course, you're probably not up 21 points on either of those teams.

It is if you're Seattle. They are 0-9 when any team scores 23 or more points since Wilson has been the QB. (just a quick stat for fun)

Northman
09-24-2015, 11:09 AM
I dont think this team will be up by more than 21 this year. Too many growing pains right now with the offense.

BroncoJoe
09-24-2015, 11:12 AM
I don't think it's a forgone conclusion that Brock would be the starter in 2016. I think there is still a real possibility that our old QB might actually finish out his contract. If Brock had significant time as a starter on his resumé, I could see him getting something more than 4 million. Perhaps he is a very capable starter and the staff knows this for sure. But whether that has been hidden by being Manning's backup for four years or merely based on his performances in preseason and practice, the fact he has yet to win a regular NFL game as a starter does not change his value as a career backup QB. Any contract that far exceeds the value for a QB that has only been a backup would be absurd. On the other hand, if Manning gets injured in 2015 and Brock steps in and performs like a starter and noticeably helps us keep winning, then you absolutely throw money at him because every other team in need of a QB is going to want him. His value would clearly skyrocket. But for now Brock Osweiler is still a mystery. Pardon me if I sound disrespectful to Brock, but I don't hear or see reports of Brock's merits in practice creating a huge dilemma for the staff or that his talents scream franchise QB by clearly outperforming his 39 year-old teammate. This isn't an Aaron Rodgers / Brett Favre situation. There is the real possibility that Brock remains a mystery until 2017 if he does indeed get resigned by Denver. But if he wants to bargain as a proven starter and tries to command that value, I can see Denver letting him walk and dipping into the 2016 draft for a new QB.

People will take my post wrong, because I actually love Manning and am proud he's been a Bronco.

That said, I really hope he retires after this year. He's already showing signs of age and I think it's time for the Broncos to move forward. Honestly, I was hoping he'd retire after last year. His body simply can't keep up with his mind anymore.

Northman
09-24-2015, 11:28 AM
People will take my post wrong, because I actually love Manning and am proud he's been a Bronco.

That said, I really hope he retires after this year. He's already showing signs of age and I think it's time for the Broncos to move forward. Honestly, I was hoping he'd retire after last year. His body simply can't keep up with his mind anymore.

You are just a hater Joe, admit it. lol

TXBRONC
09-24-2015, 11:41 AM

He does have one. It's the career total for passing yards. Favre still holds that record.

Ravage!!!
09-24-2015, 11:54 AM

I'm with you on t his. I really really like Manning, and was THRILLED he became a Bronco, but it's time. I hate to see Great players move on (I won't hate it with Brady, I'll be estatic), but it's time for him to move on.

Al Wilson 4 Mayor
09-24-2015, 12:23 PM
He does have one. It's the career total for passing yards. Favre still holds that record.

Manning should pass that record easily this year. Then Brett will only hold the INT record. :D

TXBRONC
09-24-2015, 01:18 PM
Manning should pass that record easily this year. Then Brett will only hold the INT record. :D

I'm sure that is one record that Manning is more than happy let him have.

G_Money
09-24-2015, 01:24 PM
Brock's best-case is to pull a Matt Flynn and throw for a billion yards in one or two significant outings this year. Flynn got a 3 year, $26 million deal with $10 mil guaranteed off of some nice pre-seasons and it-doesn't-matter games, and that was 3 years ago. Quarterback money is going insane at the moment. Tannehill got 6/96, Cam got 5/104. Brock may want a decently large chunk and be likely to get it from someone. Cleveland could use a big-armed QB who can throw it through the wind. Washington too. Brock will be a commodity if he gets into a game and does ANYTHING nice.

I expect us to keep him around, and I expect Siemian to push him (whether that's good or bad kinda depends on how you feel about Siemian). I'm still not sold that Brock is anything more than a placeholder, but we've been prepping him for years and this offense - when we get it right - should help him more than trying to run Manning's offense. He seems more comfortable this year than in any previous season.

That's a good thing - as long as we can keep Oz's cap figure reasonable. We need the majority of Peyton's money to go to re-signing Von, after all.

~G

Joel
09-24-2015, 03:58 PM

I doubt Oz will be guaranteed the starting role either; his starting performance is still too much of an unknown. So I can see bringing in a journeyman vet, spending an early pick on a QB or possibly even BOTH. How much leverage would that leave Oz, especially if no one else IS beating down the door of a passer whose 3-year career stats are 17/30 for 159 yds and 1 TD? If anyone thinks being a "dual threat" would change things: He's also 19 for -11 on the ground (mostly kneeling.)

Teams don't just hand QBs starting jobs on potential alone anymore, and DO always have a Plan B. The LAST thing Kubes'll do is paint himself into a corner with another Griese, and I doubt Elway would make him even if his heart's set on Oz. But even rookie mid-round and mediocre aging QBs command eye-popping contracts, because the demand for and scarcity of good QBs are so extreme. After signing one or more potential starters, how much will be left for a raw-but-talented career benchwarmer?

For what it's worth, I HOPE Oz is the next Rodgers, because Manning's already playing a year more than I expected, and solid QBs are rare finds. Lacking even a decent one cost Kubiak, Dennison (and somehow even WADE) their last jobs despite a roster just as stacked with talent everywhere else, so they can't afford to get it wrong. But that's also why I don't expect them to marry themselves to Oz before he's played a meaningful pro down, let alone well.

Joel
09-24-2015, 04:09 PM

Yeah: Once Yates and Keenum got there Houston should've STARTED the backup (they eventually wound up doing it every season ANYWAY; at least doing it from the start would've gotten the backup experience to finish each season.) Hell, Yates has as many career playoff wins as Schaub, if you can believe that. That's far more than Oz has shown, but got him all of nothing: Rotoworld says Houston was about to waive Yates when Atlanta offered a trade for Akeem Dent, but the Falcons eventually waived him to in this years final roster cuts: Kubiak could have him back NOW if he wants, probably cheap.

OrangeHoof
09-24-2015, 04:44 PM

Honestly, I'm glad he's back for one more chance but he isn't the guy for Kubiak's system (neither is Oz that I can tell). I'm surprised that Lattimer hasn't progressed which really leaves Manning with just DT and Sanders and if one weapon gets hurt, we're screwed. We're not just having to replace JT but Welker also. There are some decent Welker clones out there who could be grabbed off a practice squad.

The Texans have had a guy in camp the past two years by the name of Travis Labhart. He was buried on the Texas A&M depth chart at Wide Receiver but did a lot of good things in camp and has outstanding hands. You can send him on a lot of these underneath routes that Welker ran last year and he ought to be able to catch the ball to get you a first down. I don't know if he's on a practice squad somewhere but if Lattimer can't cut it, I think this kid can.

TXBRONC
09-24-2015, 05:14 PM
Honestly, I'm glad he's back for one more chance but he isn't the guy for Kubiak's system (neither is Oz that I can tell). I'm surprised that Lattimer hasn't progressed which really leaves Manning with just DT and Sanders and if one weapon gets hurt, we're screwed. We're not just having to replace JT but Welker also. There are some decent Welker clones out there who could be grabbed off a practice squad.

The Texans have had a guy in camp the past two years by the name of Travis Labhart. He was buried on the Texas A&M depth chart at Wide Receiver but did a lot of good things in camp and has outstanding hands. You can send him on a lot of these underneath routes that Welker ran last year and he ought to be able to catch the ball to get you a first down. I don't know if he's on a practice squad somewhere but if Lattimer can't cut it, I think this kid can.

Osweiler looks like the guy for Kubiak's from what Elway and Kubiak and camp reporters have said.

DenBronx
09-24-2015, 06:34 PM
Elway should just sign him now. Why wait? Price will only go up.

Joel
09-24-2015, 06:44 PM

One thing about it, it's a safe bet Kubiak knows about him. Dunno if you caught it, but one of the stories on Keenum was that Kubiak was really high on him but couldn't talk McNair into spending a pick, so wound up hoping no one else would either. The impression I got was that Kubiak pretty much gave Keenum a jersey the moment Mr. Irrelevant got his.

Osweiler looks like the guy for Kubiak's from what Elway and Kubiak and camp reporters have said.

His resume's surely far more suited to Kubiak than Mannings. But good coaches fit players to the few systems they run well; great ones run many systems well enough to fit players. Just MHO, but I think Kubiak's the latter, so won't marry himself to one of countless jack-of-all-trades, master-of-none "dual threats" just because suited to his preferred system. If he can get a QB whose many far greater talents don't happen to include scrambling, he likely will, and "settle" for winning championships another way. He lived with and made Pro Bowlers of Griese, Schaub and Flacco (OK, Flacco already was one, somehow.)

Joel
09-24-2015, 06:44 PM
Good idea, but: Would Oz sign now? It's not like we'll cut him if his agent says, "let's talk after the season."

Dapper Dan
09-24-2015, 08:40 PM

We broke, son.

TXBRONC
09-24-2015, 08:48 PM
We broke, son.

We're not broke bro we're just waiting.

Dapper Dan
09-24-2015, 08:49 PM
We're not broke bro we're just waiting.

Like waiting for that direct deposit to hit?

NightTerror218
09-25-2015, 12:55 AM
We will become the Jets.

TXBRONC
09-25-2015, 06:52 AM
Like waiting for that direct deposit to hit?

Something like that.

Timmy!
09-25-2015, 11:01 AM

1. $$$$$ we don't exactly have 8+ mil to throw around.
2. Oz (and his agent) are in no hurry to sign anything. Why would they be? If he somehow sees any significant time this season his price, and leverage, go up
3. Its week 3.

Ravage!!!
09-25-2015, 11:51 AM

To what contract.... as a starter? Back-up? How much should Oz simply accept since he goes FA after the season? Would he be wise to sign a contract right now when his value is at its lowest?

Valar Morghulis
09-25-2015, 11:58 AM
To what contract.... as a starter? Back-up? How much should Oz simply accept since he goes FA after the season? Would he be wise to sign a contract right now when his value is at its lowest?

I would offer him a one year deal - 8 million. 5 guaranteed. The other 3 purely based on play off success. I think that is fair to both camps. Which is why his agent would never let him take it!!!

NightTerror218
09-25-2015, 01:29 PM
I would offer him a one year deal - 8 million. 5 guaranteed. The other 3 purely based on play off success. I think that is fair to both camps. Which is why his agent would never let him take it!!!

2 yr deal first yr mostly guaranteed and none of 2nd yr is. And if he plays well can get an extension after a yr. 2 yr $12 mill with $6 mill guaranteed including signing bonus. Should be enough for agent to say ok. But Elway like to front load with guaranteed money.

Timmy!
09-25-2015, 02:21 PM
Lol. Some of you guys are in fantasy land. 2 year 12 mil? Matt freaking Cassel got damn near that to be a backup. Its going to take at least 6mil a year, with a solid (20 mil?) bonus, and its not going to be a 2 year deal.....try 5. This isn't Madden, somebody is going to pay him, and he and his agent know it.

Northman
09-25-2015, 02:38 PM
Whatever the cost Denver has invested in the player so i really dont see him going anywhere at this point.

JPPT1974
09-25-2015, 04:30 PM
He did great in the preseason. Hope that they do resign him!

Joel
09-25-2015, 04:45 PM

Money aside, that deal would all but GUARANTEE one side screwed the other sideways in 2017. If Oz took over and had a banner year, we could look forward to dropping at LEAST $20 mil/yr for the foreseeable future re-signing a top QB in his mid-twenties. If he took over and bombed: Hit the bricks, ya bum. Anything in between and we could expect a complex, protracted and increasingly bitter third contract negotation as both sides tried to figure out at least a ballpark figure on what Oz was worth, then convince the other it was right.

A long incentivized deal would be more equally fair (not that I expect it) because neither side could change it the moment the situation changed. Which is why Ozs agents would never let him take THAT. ;)

Ravage!!!
09-25-2015, 04:47 PM

Yeah.. like Joel just pointed out...that's an aweful offer. You may OFFER that, but it would be turned down as fast as the words could be spoken.

elsid13
09-26-2015, 07:46 AM
Isn't Brock just RFA?

BroncoJoe
09-26-2015, 08:04 AM
Isn't Brock just RFA?

Pretty sure he's a UFA.

NightTerror218
09-26-2015, 09:22 AM
Lol. Some of you guys are in fantasy land. 2 year 12 mil? Matt freaking Cassel got damn near that to be a backup. Its going to take at least 6mil a year, with a solid (20 mil?) bonus, and its not going to be a 2 year deal.....try 5. This isn't Madden, somebody is going to pay him, and he and his agent know it.

Thats with a proven QB, Cassel was a starter for many years. OZ has no real game experience you do not deal that much out to an unknown QB. Look at Sanchez deal, his is smaller. Mallet is paid less then cassel, so is Hoyer, Weeded and other many young QBS who actually have nfl snap experience.

NightTerror218
09-26-2015, 09:24 AM
Yeah.. like Joel just pointed out...that's an aweful offer. You may OFFER that, but it would be turned down as fast as the words could be spoken.

That is why it would a small couple yr year with all the guaranteed money early like all the vets Elway signs.

Timmy!
09-26-2015, 11:43 PM
Thats with a proven QB, Cassel was a starter for many years. OZ has no real game experience you do not deal that much out to an unknown QB. Look at Sanchez deal, his is smaller. Mallet is paid less then cassel, so is Hoyer, Weeded and other many young QBS who actually have nfl snap experience.

Nostratimmy has spoken. Feel free to bookmark this page and check back in say.......may.

Timmy!
09-26-2015, 11:44 PM
Oh, and Matt Flynn says hi.

sneakers
09-27-2015, 06:45 AM

he got super fat

http://i.imgur.com/lkYRdZi.jpg

Joel
09-27-2015, 04:48 PM
Either re-sign him or forfeit all our games and play damage control with 2017s #1 overall pick. We can't play without Brock: He's the heart of this team! :(