PDA

View Full Version : Food For Thought

honz
09-22-2015, 09:33 PM
If the name of the Broncos quarterback were Andrew Luck instead of Peyton Manning, would a portion of the Broncos fanbase still be calling for his benching?

BroncoWave
09-22-2015, 09:38 PM
Is the guy named Andrew Luck 39 years old and showing signs of physical decline?

(FTR, not advocating the benching of Manning, I just think this is a silly comparison)

honz
09-22-2015, 09:44 PM
Is this guy less than 2 years removed from arguably the greatest season by any QB ever?

OrangeHoof
09-22-2015, 09:45 PM
Of course. If our quarterback was named Jesus Christ and performed miracles, there would still be a percentage wanting us to play the backup. That's just the nature of fandom. Jesus, by the way, looked washed up at age 33 and the crowd was yelling for Barrabas.

BroncoWave
09-22-2015, 09:53 PM
Is this guy less than 2 years removed from arguably the greatest season by any QB ever?

Is it currently two years ago? When players lose it, they lose it fast. Again, not saying Manning has totally lost it yet, but if you're hanging your hat on what he did two years ago, that's not a very strong argument.

Timmy!
09-22-2015, 09:55 PM
Stop supporting Rahim Moore.

Joel
09-22-2015, 10:19 PM
Of course. If our quarterback was named Jesus Christ and performed miracles, there would still be a percentage wanting us to play the backup. That's just the nature of fandom. Jesus, by the way, looked washed up at age 33 and the crowd was yelling for Barrabas.
That is easily the best QB controversy comparison I've ever seen.

honz
09-22-2015, 10:22 PM
Not saying he is the same guy he was 2 years ago and also it saying there shouldn't be an cause for concern, just taking an extremist point of view to bring some perspective to the whole bench Manning movement. It's a long season.

Dapper Dan
09-22-2015, 10:25 PM
I'm hungry

Davii
09-22-2015, 10:26 PM
If anyone advocates Manning's benching at this point I think they're a fool.

BroncoWave
09-22-2015, 10:26 PM
Not saying he is the same guy he was 2 years ago and also it saying there shouldn't be an cause for concern, just taking an extremist point of view to bring some perspective to the whole bench Manning movement. It's a long season.

I don't really see the "bench Manning movement" on here to which you are referring. Yeah I have seen a couple of people over the past week or 2 with that mindset, but that seems to be a vast, vast minority. I think most people who are doubting his skills and think he is on the decline would still say benching him right now isn't the solution.

Joel
09-22-2015, 10:49 PM
I don't really see the "bench Manning movement" on here to which you are referring. Yeah I have seen a couple of people over the past week or 2 with that mindset, but that seems to be a vast, vast minority. I think most people who are doubting his skills and think he is on the decline would still say benching him right now isn't the solution.
Minority's can't be vast, by definition. :tongue:

Remember a year ago, when folks said Brady was done? Then he won a SB and suddenly could do no wrong. So Manning just needs to cheat a little. Or a lot, for over a decade, even after repeatedly caught.

Frankly, I think the Manning/Luck comparison eerily good, because even last year I insisted Luck and his receivers were their whole offense: No run game, no line; just sandlot football. It's working no better for him than for Manning; sure, Indy made the AFCCG last year, but only because our coaches were too busy sending out resumes to coach our first playoff game, and NE annihilated them. Some folks paid for their opinions feel that and Indys current failures are despite, not because of, the QB, putting the blame elsewhere: http://espn.go.com/blog/indianapolis-colts/post/_/id/13795/gm-ryan-grigson-deserves-blame-for-not-fixing-offensive-line?ex_cid=espnapi_public

SR
09-23-2015, 06:11 AM
I'm hungry

I just took a drink of my coffee too early. Burned my mouth.

Dapper Dan
09-23-2015, 06:15 AM
I just took a drink of my coffee too early. Burned my mouth.

Obama...

SR
09-23-2015, 06:21 AM
Obama...

My first thought. Naturally.

VonDoom
09-23-2015, 06:22 AM
Both the Broncos and the Colts have some big O-line problems. The Colts narrative seems to be that the O-line is terrible, the GM didn't spend enough resources there and it's hamstringing their QB. The Broncos narrative is that Manning is old and washed up.

SR
09-23-2015, 06:53 AM
Both the Broncos and the Colts have some big O-line problems. The Colts narrative seems to be that the O-line is terrible, the GM didn't spend enough resources there and it's hamstringing their QB. The Broncos narrative is that Manning is old and washed up.

I don't think either QB would be having a different season if they switched teams.

Buff
09-23-2015, 11:10 AM

I think there are different narratives locally and nationally.

Seems to me the more popular narrative locally is that Kubiak is to blame for Manning's struggles and needs to let Peyton be Peyton. With a close second that the o-line is to blame for Manning's struggles. And a distant third is that Manning's physical skills have deteriorated.

Nationally those narratives are reversed. I think there is validity to all three versions.