PDA

View Full Version : Start Juwan Thompson

WARHORSE
09-22-2015, 01:43 AM
"Regardless of whether you're under center or in the gun, I mean, you've got to be physical running the football," Kubiak said. "Being physical is a state of mind. It's an identity. It's a commitment. It's not something you talk about and go do. It's something you work at all the time."
After examining two games, Kubiak identified that the offensive line has to get better push at the line.
"Too many line-of-scrimmage plays where the line of scrimmage is ugly, nothing going on," Kubiak said. "We've studied the heck out of it through the weekend and obviously got to do some things to try to make it better, but you've got to get your guys space and sometimes they've got to create their own space, too."

No one will dispute any of what Kubes said. Which makes me wonder if hes going to do the right thing and put the players who give you the best chance to win the game on the field.

That being said, which RB on the roster is best at creating their own space? With this line struggling the way that it is, I think Juwan is the man to start.
Hes shown enough to warrant a chance at it given the woes we got.

Aint like hes gonna do worse. #tellmeitcantgetworse

MOtorboat
09-22-2015, 01:56 AM
No. Start Hillman.

CrazyHorse
09-22-2015, 02:02 AM
I can't hurt. Doesn't CJ have a toe ailment?

Dapper Dan
09-22-2015, 03:05 AM
Start Reggie Wayne.

DenBronx
09-22-2015, 05:24 AM
Start Champ Bailey!

tomjonesrocks
09-22-2015, 05:42 AM
Compelling...and rich.

SR
09-22-2015, 06:16 AM
Start Tater Bell!

Dapper Dan
09-22-2015, 06:17 AM
Start Tater Bell!

He busy

BroncoWave
09-22-2015, 06:47 AM
Start Tater Bell!

I approve this message!

BroncoWave
09-22-2015, 06:48 AM
But if Bell doesn't work out, I hear Clarett just got out of prison!

Valar Morghulis
09-22-2015, 06:51 AM
Start Champ Bailey

Valar Morghulis
09-22-2015, 06:52 AM
I am all for the wrecking ball that is Thompson

TXBRONC
09-22-2015, 06:58 AM
No for three reasons:

1.) It's not the running backs that are the problem.

2.) Hillman is ahead of Thompson and is a more explosive back.

3.) I'm pretty sure Kubiak knows who gives him the best chance to win.

#itcantgetworse

BroncoJoe
09-22-2015, 07:02 AM
Why on earth would you change the font to white? Great read on a white background.

Dapper Dan
09-22-2015, 07:31 AM
Why on earth would you change the font to white? Great read on a white background.

My background is blue, BroJoe. The fonts are usually white for me.

BroncoJoe
09-22-2015, 07:33 AM
My background is blue, BroJoe. The fonts are usually white for me.

If you don't change the color, it adjusts automatically to which view a user uses.

BroncoJoe
09-22-2015, 07:34 AM
"Regardless of whether you're under center or in the gun, I mean, you've got to be physical running the football," Kubiak said. "Being physical is a state of mind. It's an identity. It's a commitment. It's not something you talk about and go do. It's something you work at all the time."
After examining two games, Kubiak identified that the offensive line has to get better push at the line.
"Too many line-of-scrimmage plays where the line of scrimmage is ugly, nothing going on," Kubiak said. "We've studied the heck out of it through the weekend and obviously got to do some things to try to make it better, but you've got to get your guys space and sometimes they've got to create their own space, too."

No one will dispute any of what Kubes said. Which makes me wonder if hes going to do the right thing and put the players who give you the best chance to win the game on the field.

That being said, which RB on the roster is best at creating their own space? With this line struggling the way that it is, I think Juwan is the man to start.
Hes shown enough to warrant a chance at it given the woes we got.

Aint like hes gonna do worse. #tellmeitcantgetworse

I removed his color selection. I bet it's still white for you.

Dapper Dan
09-22-2015, 07:43 AM
You know me, if it ain't white it ain't right.

GEM
09-22-2015, 09:48 AM
It don't matter who you start at RB....if the line isn't opening holes, there's nowhere to run. FFS.

I love me some Juwan, but also saw him get stuffed quite often in the preseason against 2nd and 3rd teamers. No reason to believe that it would be any better behind this line.

Ravage!!!
09-22-2015, 09:55 AM
I'm confused as to why some feel that Juwan is the answer. Is it like the back-up QB, when things go wrong just call for the back-up? There are reasons that he hasn't moved up the depth chart over the rest of the RBs. To me, Hillman has been the best RB on the roster since last season. I see no reason for him not to be the starter along with CJ. If CJ is hurting enough that it hinders his performance, than mix Juwan in with Hillman.

Valar Morghulis
09-22-2015, 10:31 AM
I'm confused as to why some feel that Juwan is the answer. Is it like the back-up QB, when things go wrong just call for the back-up? There are reasons that he hasn't moved up the depth chart over the rest of the RBs. To me, Hillman has been the best RB on the roster since last season. I see no reason for him not to be the starter along with CJ. If CJ is hurting enough that it hinders his performance, than mix Juwan in with Hillman.

I think the perception is that Juwan is an injury free and punishing runner.

CJ has looked like Ball and most people see Hillman as a change of pace back.

Last year when ball was running through treacle, the o line was also terrible, but CJ made plays.

So for me, it it's about doing something different in order to get a different result

tubby
09-22-2015, 10:34 AM
At this point 40 needs touches. CJ has a bad toe and it ain't getting better handing him the ball.

NightTerror218
09-22-2015, 10:54 AM
I say stick with CJ until after the raiders. Then reevaluate the position. But don't ride him all game if he is not working out during the game.

NightTerror218
09-22-2015, 10:55 AM
At this point 40 needs touches. CJ has a bad toe and it ain't getting better handing him the ball.

New oline it will take time. Facing KC, Balt, and Detroit is a rough 3 game start to three teams who have had great Dlines last couple years.

Northman
09-22-2015, 11:21 AM
I say stick with ball until after the raiders. Then reevaluate the position. But don't ride him all game if he is not working out during the game.

Are you just getting information slowly where you are terror? Ball isnt with the team anymore. :lol:

GEM
09-22-2015, 11:24 AM
I say stick with ball until after the raiders. Then reevaluate the position. But don't ride him all game if he is not working out during the game.

Ball? He isn't on the team anymore, buddy. :)

MOtorboat
09-22-2015, 11:33 AM
I think they need to get Hillman into space. Bubble screens!

Valar Morghulis
09-22-2015, 11:36 AM

Lol, love a bubble screen, if only we used them more last year

Joel
09-22-2015, 01:45 PM
No for three reasons:

1.) It's not the running backs that are the problem.

2.) Hillman is ahead of Thompson and is a more explosive back.

3.) I'm pretty sure Kubiak knows who gives him the best chance to win.

#itcantgetworse

Pretty much that, though I remain dubious of #2.

I think the perception is that Juwan is an injury free and punishing runner.

CJ has looked like Ball and most people see Hillman as a change of pace back.

Last year when ball was running through treacle, the o line was also terrible, but CJ made plays.

So for me, it it's about doing something different in order to get a different result

I agree Juwan's punishing, but his lack, and everyone elses frequency, of injury may have much to do with his lack, and their frequency, of playing. It's a punishing POSITION, but ALL our starting RBs have been "injury prone" since we led the NFL in rushing with McGahee leading the NFL in yards after CONTACT: Back when our 3rd year 1st round RB lost the starting job because he was "injury prone" and "danced around too much" because forced to break a couple tackles just to reach the line of scrimmage. Remember how 2012 reversed their roles, with Moreno replacing "injury prone" McGahee, who retired after 2013?

Replacing yet another talented RB our line let defenses beat into nervous hobbling futility wouldn't be "something different to get a different result," just doing the same thing over and over hoping for different results. If a line sucks, its offense sucks, whether running or passing, and we HAVE done something different to change that result: We brought back Kubiak and Dennison, who've forgotten more than most folks know about offensive lines, and built consistently good ones on all their former teams. Let's give 'em more than one offseason and a couple games to get our trainwreck back on the rails.

TXBRONC
09-22-2015, 01:55 PM

#youneednewmaterialMO :wave: :D

Dzone
09-22-2015, 01:58 PM
Put Eddie Lacy in

Timmy!
09-22-2015, 02:05 PM
Sammy Winder

DenBronx
09-22-2015, 03:13 PM
Hillman looks way better for this style run game. He hits whatever hole that is open much faster before it collapses. Not spectacular but clearly CJ isnt getting it done right now.

I think all options should be on the table until we can figure this out.

Joel
09-22-2015, 03:26 PM
Hillman looks way better for this style run game. He hits whatever hole that is open much faster before it collapses. Not spectacular but clearly CJ isnt getting it done right now.

I think all options should be on the table until we can figure this out.

There are holes? OUT of our backfield, I mean; there are plenty INTO it. As long as there are, no one but Barry Sanders Jr. can help us (and next year's the earliest we can draft HIM.)

I'm open to anyone, especially if Anderson got turf toe on grass, but as long as our RBs must move piles to reach the line of scrimmage, Hillmans shiftiness is far less useful than Anderson and Thompsons power.

NightTerror218
09-22-2015, 03:36 PM
Are you just getting information slowly where you are terror? Ball isnt with the team anymore. :lol:

Whatchu talking about willis, I said CJ

Dzone
09-22-2015, 05:14 PM
Juwan hasnt had a chance to prove himself but has run like a battering ram in the past. He doesnt seem to have a lot of lateral movement, but is all straight ahead, robert newhouse style. If he gets a shot and fails to produce, then its time to bring up Bibbs

Joel
09-22-2015, 06:58 PM
Juwan hasnt had a chance to prove himself but has run like a battering ram in the past. He doesnt seem to have a lot of lateral movement, but is all straight ahead, robert newhouse style. If he gets a shot and fails to produce, then its time to bring up Bibbs

I like Juwan because of what little I've seen and what he's said: That he's a one-cut runner (a style our SB ZBS popularized) and that he wants to make tacklers fear HIM (a paraphrase of how Jim Brown famously described his own style.) But until/unless our line learns how to do its job I doubt it matters WHICH of our RBs goes down in a heap at the handoff, then limps off the field. Thompsons punishingly powerful straight ahead running, like Andersons, generates 0±2 yd runs instead of Hillman trying to juke 3 guys in the backfield for -2±2, but NO Broncos runner can really do WELL right now.

TXBRONC
09-22-2015, 07:00 PM
Put Eddie Lacy in

Never heard of him.

CrazyHorse
09-22-2015, 07:51 PM
The question is does Peyton trust Juwan in pass protection? That's just as important as running ability.

SR
09-22-2015, 09:43 PM
I like Juwan because of what little I've seen and what he's said: That he's a one-cut runner (a style our SB ZBS popularized) and that he wants to make tacklers fear HIM (a paraphrase of how Jim Brown famously described his own style.) But until/unless our line learns how to do its job I doubt it matters WHICH of our RBs goes down in a heap at the handoff, then limps off the field. Thompsons punishingly powerful straight ahead running, like Andersons, generates 0±2 yd runs instead of Hillman trying to juke 3 guys in the backfield for -2±2, but NO Broncos runner can really do WELL right now.

What the **** does this post even say?

TXBRONC
09-22-2015, 10:00 PM
What the **** does this post even say?

I do translate some Joelism but I make no promises.

1.) He wants Jim Brown to adopt Juwan Thompson because they're a lot alike in their running styles.

2.) He also thinks Juwan looks like Mike Anderson.

3.) He apparently thinks Ronnie Hillman is the reincarnation of Elvis Presley.

This is as close as I could get it because most Joelism is untranslatable to the English language.

Joel
09-22-2015, 10:07 PM

1.) He wants Jim Brown to adopt Juwan Thompson because they're a lot alike in their running styles.

This is as close as I could get it because most Joelism is untranslatable to the English language.

CJ Anderson, not Mike Anderson. Not that I'd mind Mike either, but ca. 2005, not 2015. Hillman might make the first guy miss, but as long as whole defense camp out in our backfield he won't make them ALL miss, so CJ and Thompsons power are more useful for moving those piles; they'll still be lucky to reach the LoS, but will get closer than Hillman.

Most importantly though, until/unless the offensive line gets better NONE of them will reach, much less pass, the OTHER line often, and ALL of them will get hurt a lot trying. Ask McGahee and Moreno.

WARHORSE
09-22-2015, 10:54 PM
The question is does Peyton trust Juwan in pass protection? That's just as important as running ability.

Does Peyton trust anyone in PP right now? Doubt it.

Juwan is not as fast as Hillman but he can turn the corner and is a one cut and get downhill fast runner. Right now, thats what is needed. Hes the biggest back out of the three and plays like it.

It cant hurt, and Hillman wont hold up to the pounding anyway.

FanInAZ
09-23-2015, 12:20 AM
Sammy Winder

Gerald Willhite > Sammy Winder because of his ability to throw a HB option pass. Same can be said about Steve Sewell.

Dzone
09-23-2015, 12:24 AM
Never heard of him.
Just some fat guy with a bad toe.

FanInAZ
09-23-2015, 12:35 AM

Actually, it's quite simple for those of use who are not intolerant of the fact that Joel is often long winded & therefore have no desire to chance him off again.

1) He described Thompson as having the same attributes that Jim Brown described himself as having. In short, he's comparing Thompson to Brown.

2) No RB can succeed until our O-line, in Joel's own words, "learns how to do its job."

Joel
09-23-2015, 02:31 AM
Actually, it's quite simple for those of use who are not intolerant of the fact that Joel is often long winded & therefore have no desire to chance him off again.

1) He described Thompson as having the same attributes that Jim Brown described himself as having. In short, he's comparing Thompson to Brown.

2) No RB can succeed until our O-line, in Joel's own words, "learns how to do its job."

How hard was that? Though, to be fair, there was also the point that our endless list of "injury prone" RBs going back to 2010 can only continue while each must break several tackles just to reach the line. Is our injury prone QB as washed up as all those guys were after just a couple years, or would they all last longer if hit less? I realize there's a tackle nearly every play, and hesitate to invoke the popular yet flawed comparison, but: When my RBs break two tackles in Madden there's usually nothing but green till the end zone; in Denver, it just means they avoided a loss before 2-3 more guys hit them.

We go through a LOT of RBs doing that half a year every season.

FanInAZ
09-23-2015, 04:16 AM
How hard was that? Though, to be fair, there was also the point that our endless list of "injury prone" RBs going back to 2010 can only continue while each must break several tackles just to reach the line. Is our injury prone QB as washed up as all those guys were after just a couple years, or would they all last longer if hit less? I realize there's a tackle nearly every play, and hesitate to invoke the popular yet flawed comparison, but: When my RBs break two tackles in Madden there's usually nothing but green till the end zone; in Denver, it just means they avoided a loss before 2-3 more guys hit them.

We go through a LOT of RBs doing that half a year every season.

Well if they'd stop demanding a 2 paragraph or less limit for all posts, something that's contrary to your writing style, then this wouldn't have happened. That's not to say that you can't refine your writing style over time to where you don't address too many topics at once, as I myself as an autistic am still working on mastering. Nevertheless, until you do master it, those 1 or 2 paragraphs that many are demanding you limit yourself to are going to be stuffed with way too many topics.

SR
09-23-2015, 06:08 AM
Actually, it's quite simple for those of use who are not intolerant of the fact that Joel is often long winded & therefore have no desire to chance him off again. 1) He described Thompson as having the same attributes that Jim Brown described himself as having. In short, he's comparing Thompson to Brown. 2) No RB can succeed until our O-line, in Joel's own words, "learns how to do its job."

Obviously your sense of humor is in the O-F-F position and your sarcasm meter needs new batteries.

Valar Morghulis
09-23-2015, 06:13 AM
I am with AZ on this one. Too often people on this site are trolled and made to feel unwelcome, yet others get a free pass.

It's like a school yard, and whether or not people then claim sarcasm or a sense of humour failure, it is kind of irrelevant if the other person repeatedly interprets as an attack.

SR
09-23-2015, 06:20 AM
I am with AZ on this one. Too often people on this site are trolled and made to feel unwelcome, yet others get a free pass. It's like a school yard, and whether or not people then claim sarcasm or a sense of humour failure, it is kind of irrelevant if the other person repeatedly interprets as an attack.

I was talking to Joel and AZ responded. Clearly I understood Joel's post, but why does anyone need to talk about football like Good Will Hunting solving impossible equations on a black board? Regardless, Joel's posts could be summarized and shortened to make a very punctual and, as MO likes to say, succinct post.

If you have the time and patience to read 3,000 word run-on, rambling posts that change subjects about as often as I sneeze on a dusty day then more power to you. I don't. It's not an attack on Joel as a person, it's a "get with the program" suggestion. I do it more smartass-ish and Joel probably doesn't appreciate it, but most people here don't appreciate his lengthy dissertations on nothing which get quoted and clutter things up.

TXBRONC
09-23-2015, 06:49 AM
Just some fat guy with a bad toe.

Wouldn't want him.

Northman
09-23-2015, 07:07 AM
I am with AZ on this one. Too often people on this site are trolled and made to feel unwelcome, yet others get a free pass.

It's like a school yard, and whether or not people then claim sarcasm or a sense of humour failure, it is kind of irrelevant if the other person repeatedly interprets as an attack.

Meh, everyone trolls and gets trolled on this site. Everyone does it, even the ones complaining. I think if you are going to complain about a particular person getting trolled than you need to set an example and not do it yourself. If you cant do that than you really have no business whining about it when it happens elsewhere on the board. IMO

BroncoWave
09-23-2015, 07:11 AM
I'll say the same thing I said last year...the complaining about Joel's posting clutters the board more and is more disruptive to conversation than Joel's posts themselves.

Northman
09-23-2015, 07:18 AM
I'll say the same thing I said last year...the complaining about Joel's posting clutters the board more and is more disruptive to conversation than Joel's posts themselves.

Which is why i just put him on ignore. If i feel like reading something he wrote i can view it, if not, save some bandwidth.

Dapper Dan
09-23-2015, 07:18 AM

My reply to your post about people's complaints about Joel's posts causes clutter.

BroncoJoe
09-23-2015, 07:19 AM
Does anyone else see "Stuart Juwan Thompson" and not Start? It's quite frustrating.

Dapper Dan
09-23-2015, 07:21 AM
Does anyone else see "Stuart Juwan Thompson" and not Start? It's quite frustrating.

No, but I always forget that Thompson has an urban first name u til someone says it.

SR
09-23-2015, 07:24 AM
Which is why i just put him on ignore. If i feel like reading something he wrote i can view it, if not, save some bandwidth.

For whatever reason I can't ignore anyone

Valar Morghulis
09-23-2015, 08:03 AM
Meh, everyone trolls and gets trolled on this site. Everyone does it, even the ones complaining. I think if you are going to complain about a particular person getting trolled than you need to set an example and not do it yourself. If you cant do that than you really have no business whining about it when it happens elsewhere on the board. IMO

Who do you think I troll?

SR
09-23-2015, 08:29 AM

I think he was just being general.

Northman
09-23-2015, 08:58 AM

I wasnt really calling you out specifically.

Valar Morghulis
09-23-2015, 09:26 AM
I wasnt really calling you out specifically.

Fair enough - maybe it is just me being an over sensitive softy, but I think the lines between trolling in good humour and making someone feel bad are often crossed deliberately.

And I think as a community when that happens we should try to stamp it out.

Timmy!
09-23-2015, 09:33 AM
Stop trolling, Dave.

Northman
09-23-2015, 09:54 AM
Fair enough - maybe it is just me being an over sensitive softy, but I think the lines between trolling in good humour and making someone feel bad are often crossed deliberately.

Im sure they are sometimes, but then again i see this happen with most people on this forum including myself.

And I think as a community when that happens we should try to stamp it out.

Well, there are some individuals who i feel go out of their way to make themselves easy targets. It doesnt make it necessarily right, only that those individuals dont do themselves any favors even if people are trying to help them with forum etiquette. I never saw Joel as a problem poster even though i wont sit through a majority of his posts because of their lengths. But, i have always given him credit for taking the time to explain his stances whether anyone agrees with him or not. But i can see how some people might be annoyed by him because he can come across as a know it all or long winded. I dont think he does it intentionally as i think he just like good discourse when discussing a topic. But even with all that i dont think ive seen anyone really be offensively rude to him even though they may give him shit about post length.

I thought it was funny the other day when Cugel (another long winded poster) started a thread and for the first 6-7 posts it was nothing but Cugel and Joel posting. It was funny for me because i had both on ignore but i knew that it was like a match made in heaven for them because of each of them posts on this forum. Personally i could deal with Joel far more than Cugel as the latter tends to come across as a bigger ******* but then again that is why the ignore feature is there so i utilize it accordingly. Ive said this in the past that there are 3 forums that i know of and all of them have different styles to which they are run. For me, this is the best one because it allows people to handle themselves and the way they behave on here while still having a set of rules for which it is moderated. The OM is a free for all and if you think the heckling, trolling, baiting, etc is bad here you havent seen anything compared to over there. But, there are people there (a lot of them) who like it and want a forum like that.

Then there is BC which i hear is a bit overly moderated yet there are many that like that site. For me this is the perfect fit and when i first came here i had to figure out how i was going to fit in with this site. I get flamed, i troll people at times, and i have some good discussions with people as well. I was getting hammered in the deflategate thread but im not going to let that run me off because i know in the end its just a difference of an opinion and viewpoint. I think guys like Shane and Joel are valuable to this site, ive actually come to like Shane's fun and comedic moments (mainly with King) and ive never really had a problem with Joel the person despite not agreeing with a lot of his stances. But both those guys i feel have brought some of the trolling upon themselves and i feel its up to them to fight through the adversity they helped create. In the end, both have left for a period of time but found their way back so i think they are learning and understanding where they fit in when it comes to this forum.

Now Dave, i hate your guts because you have now made me post more than i usually would...... dick.... :D

BroncoJoe
09-23-2015, 10:20 AM
Damn, North. Did Joel or Cugel steal your password?

:D

Northman
09-23-2015, 10:24 AM
Damn, North. Did Joel or Cugel steal your password?

:D

No shit right?

tubby
09-23-2015, 10:55 AM
Some guy on the radio called him Juwan Howard the other day. :D

TXBRONC
09-23-2015, 11:19 AM
Stop trolling, Dave.

I'm confused do you want Dave to stop trolling or do you want others to stop trolling Dave or is it both and please be brief. :D

BroncoWave
09-23-2015, 11:29 AM
I'm confused do you want Dave to stop trolling or do you want others to stop trolling Dave or is it both and please be brief. :D

His comma placement makes that pretty clear.

TXBRONC
09-23-2015, 11:45 AM
His comma placement makes that pretty clear.

It was a joke.

SR
09-23-2015, 11:50 AM
No shit right?

Ironically enough, I read your whole Joel post.

TXBRONC
09-23-2015, 12:36 PM
Ironically enough, I read your whole Joel post.

I guess I'm easily humored because I found this pretty funny.

WARHORSE
09-28-2015, 11:54 PM
Give this man some carries please. With the offensive line the way it is, Juwaaaan is going to do the most damage. Give him some carries KUBIAK!

Al Wilson 4 Mayor
09-29-2015, 12:17 AM
Give this man some carries please. With the offensive line the way it is, Juwaaaan is going to do the most damage. Give him some carries KUBIAK!

They were giving him carries until his neck got hurt.