PDA

View Full Version : Practice / press conference notes - week 3 (Lions week)

VonDoom
09-21-2015, 01:25 PM
I thought we might start a thread each week for all the practice updates, injuries, press conferences, etc. I kept putting that stuff in the game thread last week but it didn't really go there. Anyway, to that end, here are some notes from today:

Andrew Mason ‏@MaseDenver 1h1 hour ago

.@ANU_NIKE91 looked to be moving well during agility drills at the start of practice today.

Troy Renck ‏@TroyRenck 60m60 minutes ago

#Broncos need balance. Idea of Peyton Manning throwing 45 times a week is not sustainable. They will be better longterm if establish run

Troy Renck ‏@TroyRenck 54m54 minutes ago

Makes sense to use pass to set up run. But going away from run entirely then trying to play physical later won't work. Has to be a mindset

Troy Renck ‏@TroyRenck 19m19 minutes ago

Kubiak said a rest day for Vasquez. #broncos. Anunike limited but looked good he said

Troy Renck ‏@TroyRenck 15m15 minutes ago

Kubiak said too many negative things going on at line of scrimmage. "We are 2-0 but know it's not good enough"

Troy Renck ‏@TroyRenck 13m13 minutes ago

Kubiak on 7 sacks "we can't ask him to hold up like that" If able to run it helps protection bc teams less aggressive going at QB

Denver Broncos ‏@Broncos 17m17 minutes ago

Coach Kubiak: Focused on, "finding a way to protect the quarterback and making big plays in this league."

Denver Broncos ‏@Broncos 14m14 minutes ago

Kubiak: "In this league you don't get too carried away if you're off to a good start."

Denver Broncos ‏@Broncos 11m11 minutes ago

Kubiak: We've got our hands full this week."

Joel
09-21-2015, 02:16 PM
Hope he can get it straight in time for Mannings career. Anyone miss Coach Cheerleader clapping and grinning about "correctable mistakes" every week but never correcting them?

Buff
09-21-2015, 02:23 PM
I know Stafford is tough, but it sounds like he's pretty beat up this week, which could work in our favor:

Wrote Meinke of Stafford: “There was a blood-soaked bandage on his left forearm, near the elbow. He began picking at a bandage around his left wrist. His throwing arm looked beat up too. It's no wonder he put on long sleeves for that press conference. The big toe on his left foot was blue. Two toes on his right foot were taped … Stafford just kept sitting there in the corner, breathing just right, trying to soothe his battered ribs. He had X-rays for those ribs. There's no word on the results.” Yow. It’s Sept. 21. How in the world will Stafford last through 14 more of these three-hour survival tests? And as Stafford goes, so go the Lions.

http://mmqb.si.com/mmqb/2015/09/21/nfl-week-2-seattle-seahawks-monday-morning-quarterback

GEM
09-21-2015, 02:49 PM
Hope he can get it straight in time for Mannings career. Anyone miss Coach Cheerleader clapping and grinning about "correctable mistakes" every week but never correcting them?

Joel, how do you shore up this line right now? As just about every EXPERT has stated, the thing they need is time to gel. How do you suppose "Coach Cheerleader" should make that happen even faster. I mean, you have to know more than the coach (Kubiak) who knows more about football from real life experience rather than some guy who reads a lot of books and websites (you), right? You should probably save the name calling because if you were on that field in front of those men, I don't think you'd do anything different that would get a better result.

VonDoom
09-21-2015, 03:01 PM
I know Stafford is tough, but it sounds like he's pretty beat up this week, which could work in our favor:

http://mmqb.si.com/mmqb/2015/09/21/nfl-week-2-seattle-seahawks-monday-morning-quarterback

I saw that quote this morning. Really paints a picture, doesn't it? Stafford has been pressured more than any other QB through two games, I believe, so hopefully that continues this week.

Joel
09-21-2015, 03:18 PM
Joel, how do you shore up this line right now? As just about every EXPERT has stated, the thing they need is time to gel. How do you suppose "Coach Cheerleader" should make that happen even faster. I mean, you have to know more than the coach (Kubiak) who knows more about football from real life experience rather than some guy who reads a lot of books and websites (you), right? You should probably save the name calling because if you were on that field in front of those men, I don't think you'd do anything different that would get a better result.

Coach Cheerleader had four seasons to fix it, which was plenty. The best he managed was constantly applauding what he called "correctable mistakes" each week asked about them, yet never correcting them (even though that was pretty much his whole job.)

Hence we upgraded to Kubiak; you not see my replys title? Yes, I expect he'll need more than a few months to fix a long-ignored problem so big it cost us a SB (probably two; maybe more,) especially since it required replacing the likes of Clark (whom Fox publicly called "the best backup OT in the NFL") with unfamiliar players. Losing an All Pro blindside protector for the season, forcing him to turn to the rookie drafted to start on the other side, also didn't help.

We shore up the line like I've been begging them to do for years: Sign a top FA and draft linemen early. They did (though they waited longer than I'd have liked to draft an OT,) but that's gonna take time to gel, yes, and all we can do in the interim is wait and pray. Mathis and Vasquez weren't voted All Pro for playing like this; we'll get there. I just wish we'd started a year earlier, because I'm not sure Manning has enough time left to wait, and no coach has ever won a SB the first year he joined the team (again, Siefert doesn't count, because he got promoted, running his same system with his same players.)

Denver Native (Carol)
09-21-2015, 04:03 PM
ENGLEWOOD, Colo. — As a new practice week begins and the focus turns to the Detroit Lions, Broncos Head Coach Gary Kubiak reiterated the importance of establishing the rushing attack to set up the offense.

"The biggest thing right now offensively to me is protecting the quarterback and finding a way to make big plays in this league," Kubiak said. "The thing that enables you to do those two things is running the football, and we're not running the ball well at all, regardless."

Physicality has become another emphasis to create that impact, and Kubiak wants to see that, no matter what formation the Broncos use.

"Regardless of whether you're under center or in the gun, I mean, you've got to be physical running the football," Kubiak said. "Being physical is a state of mind. It's an identity. It's a commitment. It's not something you talk about and go do. It's something you work at all the time."

After examining two games, Kubiak identified that the offensive line has to get better push at the line.

"Too many line-of-scrimmage plays where the line of scrimmage is ugly, nothing going on," Kubiak said. "We've studied the heck out of it through the weekend and obviously got to do some things to try to make it better, but you've got to get your guys space and sometimes they've got to create their own space, too."

rest - plus video and Odds and Ends
http://www.denverbroncos.com/news-and-blogs/article-1/Coachs-Notes-Establishing-the-run-how-Detroit-is-dangerous/eb43627b-960e-4257-ba87-4fa8eb4fc518

TXBRONC
09-21-2015, 06:07 PM

Did you watch any of Lions at the Vikings game? He got knocked around pretty good in that game.

Joel
09-21-2015, 07:40 PM
Did you watch any of Lions at the Vikings game? He got knocked around pretty good in that game.
I meant to but didn't; all things considered, that's worrisome. Here's hoping for leaps and bounds in ten days. At least Kubiak has the right attitude about it, and his candor is a refreshing change. I'd almost worry he's TOO candid, tipping our hand to opponents, except he's said nothing 1) revealing specific or 2) not an open secret.

VonDoom
09-22-2015, 02:34 PM
Since the team is off today, this is the closest thing I've found to news:

Aaron Wilson Verified account
‏@AaronWilson_NFL

Broncos working out former Atlanta Falcons player Matt Huffer today, according to a league source

Troy Renck ‏@TroyRenck 8m8 minutes ago

Troy Renck retweeted Aaron Wilson

Broncos always looking for Oline depth. Huffer is a tackle

TXBRONC
09-22-2015, 02:54 PM
Since the team is off today, this is the closest thing I've found to news:

Aaron Wilson Verified account
‏@AaronWilson_NFL

Broncos working out former Atlanta Falcons player Matt Huffer today, according to a league source

Troy Renck ‏@TroyRenck 8m8 minutes ago

Troy Renck retweeted Aaron Wilson

Broncos always looking for Oline depth. Huffer is a tackle

Matt Huffer? I've never heard of him before.

Denver Native (Carol)
09-22-2015, 03:57 PM
Matt Huffer? I've never heard of him before.

http://www.nfl.com/player/matthuffer/2553894/profile

TXBRONC
09-22-2015, 07:31 PM
http://www.nfl.com/player/matthuffer/2553894/profile

He's kind of on smallish side.

Joel
09-22-2015, 07:59 PM
He's kind of on smallish side.

He's still a rookie though, and, at 6'6", has "the frame to add weight." About all I found googling was a local fluff piece when the Falcons signed him:

Small town small state star, unrecruited by big schools, earned a full scholarship at a state school where he started every game for 3 years, but only won 7, then got a 3-year UDFA offer.

Again, standard "local boy makes good" fare, but, with that in mind, he still said the kind of stuff I like to hear:

“Honestly, [Atlanta] told everyone beforehand that the first thing they were looking for was grit and toughness. That’s my background. I’m that type of guy. I made myself try to stand out above everyone else. I did what they told me and I took it to the next level.” http://www.thegazette.com/subject/sports/hlas-crs-matt-huffer-powers-way-onto-nfl-roster-20150514

Maybe a classic case of a rangy PS rookie stashed on the PS to gain mass and experience under gifted position coaches, then emerge as a surprise star a few years later. Or an even more classic case of a long shot UDFA washed out after a season or two, never making an active roster. We worked out Long, too, but I don't believe we've signed Huffer yet either.

Denver Native (Carol)
09-22-2015, 08:03 PM
Troy Renck ‏@TroyRenck 3h

#Broncos have added DT Deandre Coleman to their practice squad and released NT Chuka Ndulue.

Jeff Legwold ‏@Jeff_Legwold 2h

Broncos with some due diligence today -- worked out six players including four offensive linemen. Guard Travis... http://espn.go.com/espn/now?nowId=21-0438108207198507919-4 …

VonDoom
09-23-2015, 08:29 AM
Aaron Wilson ‏@AaronWilson_NFL 6h6 hours ago

Broncos tried out Travis Bond, Matt Conrath, Xzavier Dickson, Kevin Graf, Matt Huffer, Antonio Johnson

Aaron Wilson ‏@AaronWilson_NFL 6h6 hours ago

Ravens tried out defensive back Tony Carter. Ravens have liked Carter for a while, but he was under contract with Broncos

underrated29
09-23-2015, 09:25 AM
Xzavier Dickson......he's a guy I thought had some potential.

Buff
09-23-2015, 10:55 AM
LOL @ Xzavier's parents.

VonDoom
09-23-2015, 11:08 AM
Nicki Jhabvala ‏@NickiJhabvala 4m4 minutes ago

Jim Caldwell on Peyton: "He's still very, very effective. He's still breaking records. He's still winning."

Troy Renck ‏@TroyRenck 4m4 minutes ago

#Lions coach jim Caldwell non-committal on whether Stafford will play "we will see"

TXBRONC
09-23-2015, 11:48 AM
Xzavier Dickson......he's a guy I thought had some potential.

Then Denver definitely doesn't want this guy.

Denver Native (Carol)
09-23-2015, 01:23 PM
Denver Broncos retweeted
Andrew Mason ‏@MaseDenver 31s

No Talib or Webster out here today. Vasquez, Bolden back. Anunike practicing.

Denver Native (Carol)
09-23-2015, 05:22 PM
ENGLEWOOD, Colo. -- Peyton Manning, Aqib Talib and Kayvon Webster did not practice as the Broncos began their preparations for the Detroit Lions.

Manning was at practice and wore a helmet, but only had mental and walk-through repetitions as he took a rest day similar to the ones he received during OTAs, minicamp and training camp.

"He threw the ball a lot on Monday, so we're going to get him in the routine of how we're going to do it through the course of the season," Head Coach Gary Kubiak said.

Manning didn't throw, but did get mental repetitions.

"I was out there, doing everything that I can, participating in the walk-throughs and the blitzes," he said. "I feel like I was into it, and I'm trying to take advantage of it."

rest - plus Peyton video
http://www.denverbroncos.com/news-and-blogs/article-1/Broncos-Injury-Update-Talib-ill-Webster-sidelined-Manning-gets-rest-day/d3596325-6371-4327-8d6e-8d7908fa6b61

Denver Native (Carol)
09-23-2015, 06:15 PM
Manning on relationship with Lions HC Jim Caldwell
Peyton Manning talks to the press after Wednesday's practice.

http://www.denverbroncos.com/multimedia/videos/Manning-on-relationship-with-Lions-HC-Jim-Caldwell/5c401c3f-cf9c-4dc2-8413-b615bb012b96

Kubiak on road test in Detroit
Head Coach Gary Kubiak talks to the press after Wednesday's practice.

http://www.denverbroncos.com/multimedia/videos/Kubiak_on_road_test_in_Detroit/123a5865-6968-4588-ab81-ecc95ca0897d

Thomas knows patience will bring big plays
Wide receiver Demaryius Thomas talks to the press after Wednesday's practice.

http://www.denverbroncos.com/multimedia/videos/Thomas_knows_patience_will_bring_big_plays/1f5473fe-2daa-41a9-9875-79feca8f6f2d

Joel
09-23-2015, 06:21 PM
I'll be much happier when Talib and Webster both practice fully. Tony Carter was a good #5, acceptable dimeback and awful nickelback, but his absence makes me nervous about dime if anyone's hurt.

VonDoom
09-23-2015, 07:01 PM
I'll be much happier when Talib and Webster both practice fully. Tony Carter was a good #5, acceptable dimeback and awful nickelback, but his absence makes me nervous about dime if anyone's hurt.

They're calling Talib's absence "illness", so maybe he just ate some bad food or something. Doesn't sound like he's in danger of missing the game

VonDoom
09-24-2015, 02:21 PM
Troy Renck ‏@TroyRenck 1h1 hour ago

Talib is back at practice after missing Wednesday w illness. Bolden again limited. Webster doing light work #broncos

Troy Renck ‏@TroyRenck 55m55 minutes ago

#broncos Peyton Manning practicing today. Getting Wednesday off is plan for the regular season

Joel
09-24-2015, 03:08 PM
They're calling Talib's absence "illness", so maybe he just ate some bad food or something. Doesn't sound like he's in danger of missing the game
"Flu-like" symptoms are what I've read. Hopefully it's nothing, but it's easy to get dehydrated fast with that; "flu-like" symptoms were the beginning of the end of Mannings 2014, and when Talib's covering Megatron (or even Golden Tate) he'll run a lot more than Manning ever has. Johnson has 4" and 20 lbs. on Talib AND he's faster; that won't be an easy match even if he's 100% healthy and hydrated.

VonDoom
09-24-2015, 03:13 PM
Troy Renck ‏@TroyRenck 21m21 minutes ago

#broncos limited in practice: Vasquez, Bolden, Anunike, Webster Kubiak said not concerned w Vasquez.

Nicki Jhabvala ‏@NickiJhabvala 20m20 minutes ago

Kubiak said his plan for Manning with rest days goes back to his time with Elway. He took rest days, too.

Kubiak said Norwood has earned no. 3 spot. But expects fowler, Latimer and Caldwell will get more time as season goes on

Nicki Jhabvala ‏@NickiJhabvala 18m18 minutes ago

Kubiak said @CodyLatimer14 "is a much better player now than he was in the offseason."

Denver Broncos ‏@Broncos 14m14 minutes ago

STC Joe DeCamillis on what's changed with K @thekidmcmanus:

"He's worked his tail off to be honest with you."

Denver Broncos ‏@Broncos 10m10 minutes ago

Wade Phillips on Matthew Stafford's injury status.

"He's from that Jim Kelly mode. If he can play he's gonna play."

Troy Renck ‏@TroyRenck 9m9 minutes ago

Dennison on offense "we just aren't playing well. We are trying to find out works best. We have to keep improving"

Denver Broncos ‏@Broncos 4m4 minutes ago

Dennison on teams blitzing #Manning: "We've had our chances at plays. ... If we start making them that will help."

Denver Native (Carol)
09-24-2015, 03:22 PM
Nobody runs from criticism in the NFL. Especially teams that don't run well. The Broncos forged back-to-back steel gut victories, but did little to silence doubts about their blended offense.

After two weeks of sputtering, many fans are asking if it's time to return to last year's attack. Go three wide, let it fly and make sure the Arabian gelding Thunder has an oxygen mask for touchdown sprints.

Broncos coach Gary Kubiak remains committed to running the football, seeking a physical identity and mindset. He is not advocating three yards and a cloud of, um, rust. And Peyton Manning is not interested in throwing 45 times a game.

Therein lie the seeds of compromise.

rest - http://www.denverpost.com/broncos/ci_28866853/broncos-look-silence-critics-improved-running-game

TXBRONC
09-24-2015, 04:11 PM

Hey Joel was it painful for you to make a shorter post? :heh:

Carter had the speed to stay with any receiver but he wasn't strong enough defend bigger receiver without committing a foul. Denver's top four corners are all solid two of which are pro bowl caliber.

Joel
09-24-2015, 04:21 PM

Kubiak said Norwood has earned no. 3 spot. But expects fowler, Latimer and Caldwell will get more time as season goes on

Nicki Jhabvala ‏@NickiJhabvala 18m18 minutes ago

Kubiak said @CodyLatimer14 "is a much better player now than he was in the offseason."

Taken together: Good grief, just HOW bad WAS last years 1st rounder this offseason?! I've spent about a year-and-a-half trying not to think about all the great young linemen we could've had with that pick, when we DESPERATELY needed them and had until this year to find a 3rd legit receiving threat. Granted, WRs often need a few seasons to develop, so maybe Latimer's not a bust yet, but that's just one more reason not to spend a 1st rounder on an imminent-but-absent need at the expense of an critical existing need. Didn't understand it; still don't.

Joel
09-24-2015, 04:29 PM
Hey Joel was it painful for you to make a shorter post? :heh:
Just didn't have much more detailed thoughts to offer; I spend far less time thinking about D than offense (kinda like our HC; thank heaven for the Phillips family.)

Carter had the speed to stay with any receiver but he wasn't strong enough defend bigger receiver without committing a foul. Denver's top four corners are all solid two of which are pro bowl caliber.
Not much argument there, but the NFL's so pass-happy every team's forced to play a lot of dime, so I like having a decent #5 CB in case someones hurt. Carter can never matchup with a #1 nor top slot receiver, nor even #2 WR, but as a backup dimeback he wouldn't, and he's plenty good enough to cover #3s. Is Doss, because he's technically the only other CB we've got on the roster now. Though, now I think of it, we drafted Bolden as a CB before he switched to safety last year, and he's good enough for a backup dimeback, too (especially since Carter usually played CB like a safety anyway.)

Denver Native (Carol)
09-24-2015, 04:43 PM
Jordan Norwood has taken over the Broncos' No. 3-receiver position through two games with his snaps and production.

An impressive feat for a guy who before this season hadn't played in a regular-season game since 2012.

"With what we're asking out of that spot, he's earned his keep. He's a smart player you can move him all over the place," coach Gary Kubiak said.

It's hard to see the ball with Demaryius Thomas and Emmanuel Sanders on the field, but Norwood has five catches for 39 yards. He's been on the field for nearly all of the Broncos' three- or four-receiver sets.

rest - other stuff, plus Von video
http://www.denverpost.com/broncos/ci_28872481/jordan-norwood-has-earned-his-keep-no-3-broncos-receiver

Denver Native (Carol)
09-24-2015, 05:40 PM
Mike Klis ‏@MikeKlis 6h

Former NBC boss Dick Ebersol on Broncos owner Pat Bowlen: "Pat was the single major force in getting Sunday Night Football.'' #9news

Denver Native (Carol)
09-24-2015, 05:45 PM
Vic Lombardi retweeted
Eric Christensen ‏@cbseric 3h

Broncos Notebook: Talib Will Be Called On To Cover Lions’ Johnson http://cbsloc.al/1gS72mz

TXBRONC
09-24-2015, 06:02 PM
Just didn't have much more detailed thoughts to offer; I spend far less time thinking about D than offense (kinda like our HC; thank heaven for the Phillips family.)

Not much argument there, but the NFL's so pass-happy every team's forced to play a lot of dime, so I like having a decent #5 CB in case someones hurt. Carter can never matchup with a #1 nor top slot receiver, nor even #2 WR, but as a backup dimeback he wouldn't, and he's plenty good enough to cover #3s. Is Doss, because he's technically the only other CB we've got on the roster now. Though, now I think of it, we drafted Bolden as a CB before he switched to safety last year, and he's good enough for a backup dimeback, too (especially since Carter usually played CB like a safety anyway.)

No Doss isn't the only other corner. Denver has five corners on the roster, Talib, Harris Jr., Roby, Webster, and Doss. Roby is the third corner and Carter was nowhere close to being better than him nor is he better than Webster for that matter. While Doss is not as experienced as Carter apparently they think he has more upside than Carter does.

Joel
09-24-2015, 06:23 PM
rest - other stuff, plus Von video
http://www.denverpost.com/broncos/ci_28872481/jordan-norwood-has-earned-his-keep-no-3-broncos-receiver

Fair enough; it makes as much sense to say Norwood's overperformed as that Latimer's underperformed, and Kubes doesn't blow nearly as much smoke as his predecessor. I've always thought Caldwell underappreciated, and he's looked better this year, too, so if Norwood's leaped frog him as well, we're probably be okay. It's hard to do more than guess as long as Manning has no time to find ANYONE.

Vic Lombardi retweeted

Broncos Notebook: Talib Will Be Called On To Cover Lions’ Johnson http://cbsloc.al/1gS72mz

Good to know, though I'm unsure Talibs physical style suits a much bigger WR, and think Harris' less flashy more reliable COVERAGE and sure tackling better. But Wade's forgotten more than I'll never know about D, so I can't argue with him (despite surpressing traumatic memories of Talibs attempted coverage in our last playoff game: When a guy's torching you, stop going for picks and start going for swats.)

Joel
09-24-2015, 06:24 PM
No Doss isn't the only other corner. Denver has five corners on the roster, Talib, Harris Jr., Roby, Webster, and Doss. Roby is the third corner and Carter was nowhere close to being better than him nor is better than Webster for that matter. While Doss is not as experienced as Carter apparently they think he has more upside than Carter does.
Right, but ALL FOUR others are spoken for in dime, and all but one (usually Webster) in nickel (I started to stat all that and where each usually plays, but, y'know, brevity and stuff. :tongue:) So if ANY of them's hurt, our dime necessarily includes Doss (except I still think it might be Bolden; hope so anyway.) There's a good chance that'll happen on more than one series by January. If TWO of them are hurt, the same goes for nickel, and, as most teams, we play as much nickel as anything else now.

I'm not saying Carter should've been anything more than #5; I love Webster enough I questioned the need for Roby, who looks even better. I'm just saying the growing amount of NFL passing means even the #5 needs to be pretty good, because he's only one injury away from a lot of playing time, and only two from STARTING.

TXBRONC
09-24-2015, 06:36 PM
Right, but ALL FOUR others are spoken for in dime, and all but one (usually Webster) in nickel (I started to stat all that and where each usually plays, but, y'know, brevity and stuff. :tounge:) .So if ANY of them's hurt, our dime necessarily includes Doss (except I still think it might be Bolden; hope so anyway.) There's a good chance that'll happen on more than one series by January. If TWO of them are hurt, the same goes for nickel, and, as most teams, we play as much nickel as anything else now.

I'm not saying Carter should've been anything more than #5; I love Webster enough I questioned the need for Roby, who looks even better. I'm just saying the growing amount of NFL passing means even the #5 needs to be pretty good, because he's only one injury away from a lot of playing time, and only two from STARTING.

Like pass rushers it's not a bad idea to keep around as many good corners as you can. Webster is good and may even be good enough start but Roby is better. He could start opposite Harris and Denver would be fine.

I don't think worrying about injuries that haven't happened is productive. If Doss has to play Phillips will know what to do. It's not like sit on their hands.

DenBronx
09-24-2015, 06:40 PM
Vic Lombardi retweeted

Talib is playing like the leagues best corner this year. He's playing absolutely out of his mind. If he shuts down Calvin then that only adds another notch on his belt.

Teams are not really throwing at Chris Harris so it's hard to judge but he's also playing shut down. Fair to say we have the best DBs in the league right now?

Also our DEs are putting alot of pressure and forcing these QBs to make quick judgements which creates opportunities for our DBs. This defense is our best we've had in years.

Joel
09-24-2015, 06:56 PM
Like pass rushers it's not a bad idea to keep around as many good corners as you can. Webster is good and may even be good enough start but Roby is better. He could start opposite Harris and Denver would be fine.

I don't think worrying about injuries that haven't happened is productive. If Doss has to play Phillips will know what to do. It's not like sit on their hands.
Well... yeah... but after Talib, Harris, Roby and Webster, we're SCREWED! ;) Might as well cancel the season now and start deciding who to take with the #1 overall pick (#5 CB?)

I try not to worry much about injuries after the NEXT man up, for the reasons you say, even though even that's often not enough (remember the rotating CB injuries at the end of 2013 that wound up with Champ playing hurt in his first SB, and last game, EVER?) Good as Ray's expected to be, and despite Wares odometer and Millers expiring contract, I'd rather have had a starting lineman in the 1st than a 3rd pass rusher, but did recognize the need for SOMEONE of quality when Miller or Ware is hurt or tired. And at CB, #5 IS the next man up for a lot of plays.

I'm not losing a lot of sleep over Carter; as you say, he was no world beater, and Bolden has kept looking better to me since last year, not just on STs, but generally. But if we WERE relying solely on a 5'11" 187 lb. rookie 5th rounder the moment ANY CB got hurt or gassed, I'd be worried.

Al Wilson 4 Mayor
09-24-2015, 07:11 PM
Taken together: Good grief, just HOW bad WAS last years 1st rounder this offseason?! I've spent about a year-and-a-half trying not to think about all the great young linemen we could've had with that pick, when we DESPERATELY needed them and had until this year to find a 3rd legit receiving threat. Granted, WRs often need a few seasons to develop, so maybe Latimer's not a bust yet, but that's just one more reason not to spend a 1st rounder on an imminent-but-absent need at the expense of an critical existing need. Didn't understand it; still don't.

Bradley Roby was last year's first rounder. He is a very good football player, and is our #3 corner. Latimer was taken at the end of the 2nd round.

TXBRONC
09-24-2015, 07:22 PM
Well... yeah... but after Talib, Harris, Roby and Webster, we're SCREWED! ;) Might as well cancel the season now and start deciding who to take with the #1 overall pick (#5 CB?)

I try not to worry much about injuries after the NEXT man up, for the reasons you say, even though even that's often not enough (remember the rotating CB injuries at the end of 2013 that wound up with Champ playing hurt in his first SB, and last game, EVER?) Good as Ray's expected to be, and despite Wares odometer and Millers expiring contract, I'd rather have had a starting lineman in the 1st than a 3rd pass rusher, but did recognize the need for SOMEONE of quality when Miller or Ware is hurt or tired. And at CB, #5 IS the next man up for a lot of plays.

I'm not losing a lot of sleep over Carter; as you say, he was no world beater, and Bolden has kept looking better to me since last year, not just on STs, but generally. But if we WERE relying solely on a 5'11" 187 lb. rookie 5th rounder the moment ANY CB got hurt or gassed, I'd be worried.

Joel if Denver gets hit that hard with injuries in the secondary they'll do what they need to do. It won't exist in a vacuum they'll have make moves to roster to get help if it's needed. Besides that Phillips is pretty putting his personnel in a position to succeed. Doss isn't that much smaller than Webster and he's the same height as three of four corners ahead of him. If I'm not mistaken Webster weight about the same as Doss when he first arrived. If Doss has to go in because some needs a breather I'm not going to sweat it. The Steelers when their defense was nasty good didn't have nearly as good of starting corners but they managed to win two Super Bowls in the 2000s because they had a great front seven that could knock the chocolate out starting quarterbacks. Denver has one that can do the same.

Joel
09-24-2015, 07:58 PM
Bradley Roby was last year's first rounder. He is a very good football player, and is our #3 corner. Latimer was taken at the end of the 2nd round.
Sigh... I do that EVERY time with those two, and they've not been remotely comparable players so far. :redface: Still, the basic point stands: As deep as the last few drafts have been in linemen, and as bad as our line has been since forever, I'd rather have spent last years 1st OR 2nd rounder on a top starting lineman than a backup WR. Or spent THIS years 1st rounder on one rather than a backup OLB; we needed a backup to spell Ware, but he doesn't have to be a potential HoFer, and our 39½-year-old immobile bionic QB needs a starting quality OT MUCH more.

Joel
09-24-2015, 08:11 PM
Joel if Denver gets hit that hard with injuries in the secondary they'll do what they need to do. It won't exist in a vacuum they'll have make moves to roster to get help if it's needed.

The first part of that was self-mockery (hence the smiley, and the paragraph break before getting serious.) Losing ALL our CBs would be on par with Arizona being down to its 3rd QB by Halloween 2013, or losing Palmer at the end of 2014 so they lost the bye that would've given him time to heal before the Divisional round, and consequently losing the Wildcard despite expecting him back the next week. If we have a run of luck THAT bad and long (heaven forbid and touch all wood in reach) it really will be time to start looking at next years draft. Brady, Rivers or Luck with Doss and TBA as our starters? Yeesh....

Besides that Phillips is pretty putting his personnel in a position to succeed. Doss isn't that much smaller than Webster and he's the same height as three of four corners ahead of him. If I'm not mistaken Webster weight about the same as Doss when he first arrived. If Doss has to go in because some needs a breather I'm not going to sweat it. The Steelers when their defense was nasty good didn't have nearly as good of starting corners but they managed to win two Super Bowls in the 2000s because they had a great front seven that could knock the chocolate out starting quarterbacks. Denver has one that can do the same.

I have a trusting wide-eyed little boys faith in anyone named "Phillips," but ask Kubiak how much even the best coaching can make up for lack of skill and talent. Doss could prove Wades Griese and Schaub if it came to that, though I doubt it will. For what it's worth, if his Texans teams had ANY weakness apart from Schaub, it was secondary depth (though, in Wades defense, the secondary was garbage till he got there, and he could only add so many top CBs/year, just as Dennison can only add so many top linemen) and his Cowboys teams had the same problem.

As long as we're talking #3 and 4 WRs, it's probably not a problem though. It's just, again: Everything that could go RIGHT isn't what keeps me awake nights.

Denver Native (Carol)
09-24-2015, 08:28 PM
The piercing eyes and fire red hair create squirms. And questions.

Linebackers create fear with hits, but art? Drawn on Danny Trevathan's left pectoral, the possessed doll "Chucky" stares back at onlookers.

"I was scared of clowns as a little kid, but not Chucky. Chucky's like my little brother," Trevathan said Thursday of his newest tattoo. "I have seen every one of the movies. I wasn't scared. I know they are kind of creepy. After awhile, you just catch on."

For Trevathan, the ink provides a peek behind the curtain, explains why, after multiple knee injuries, he leads the Broncos in tackles. He remains strong in his faith, devoted to his daughter. When he pulls on his helmet, though, he undergoes a transformation. It's too simple to say it's "Child's Play," but Trevathan competes with a fervor of a kid trying to earn his varsity letter.

rest - good article, including stuff on Marshall
http://www.denverpost.com/broncos/ci_28873824/inside-linebacker-turns-childs-play-danny-trevathan-his

TXBRONC
09-24-2015, 08:32 PM
rest - good article, including stuff on Marshall
http://www.denverpost.com/broncos/ci...-trevathan-his

So are you thinking of getting a tattoo Carol? :eyebrows:

Denver Native (Carol)
09-25-2015, 12:31 PM
Troy Renck ‏@TroyRenck 8m

#broncos Kayvon Webster doing light practice work. Omar Bolden watching. Hopeful of playing but chances not great at this point

VonDoom
09-25-2015, 01:44 PM
So Vasquez is either probable or questionable ...

Webster doubtful, Omar bolden and Vasquez questionable. Good sign for Bolden. #broncos

Nicki Jhabvala ‏@NickiJhabvala 14m14 minutes ago

Kayvon Webster (doubtful), Louis Vasquez (probable), Omar Bolden and Kenny Anunike (questionable). #Broncos

Troy Renck ‏@TroyRenck 10m10 minutes ago

Kubiak said Anunike would be game time decision #broncos

VonDoom
09-25-2015, 02:37 PM
Mike Klis ‏@MikeKlis 11m11 minutes ago

DE Malik Jackson was fined $8,681 for late hit on Jamaal Charles; DeMarcus Ware fined $17,363 for low hit on Alex Smith. #9news #9Sports

Mike Klis ‏@MikeKlis 10m10 minutes ago

Von Miller, Darius Kilgo not fined for their unnecessary roughness penalties. David Bruton not fined for unsportsmanlike leap. #9news

Joel
09-25-2015, 04:50 PM
So Vasquez is either probable or questionable ...

Webster doubtful, Omar bolden and Vasquez questionable. Good sign for Bolden. #broncos

Nicki Jhabvala ‏@NickiJhabvala 14m14 minutes ago

Kayvon Webster (doubtful), Louis Vasquez (probable), Omar Bolden and Kenny Anunike (questionable). #Broncos

Troy Renck ‏@TroyRenck 10m10 minutes ago

Kubiak said Anunike would be game time decision #broncos
Not happy Webster's doubtful AND Bolden's questionable; may get to see if Doss lives up to what some posters have expressed about him. Maybe Bruton, or will he spoken for spelling Ward?

With Megatron and Golden Tate, I don't expect Detroit to target tertiary WRs much, but, OTOH, with Talib and Harris Jr. they might be tempted. ESPN shows them with EIGHT WRs on the depth chart so they should have a decent option if Talib and Harris can plant the Broncos flag on Shutdown Island. Guess our pass rush will just have to make sure Stafford doesn't have time to look off all his WRs.

Denver Native (Carol)
09-26-2015, 04:33 PM
Andrew Mason retweeted
Denver Broncos ‏@Broncos 1h

CB Kayvon Webster has been downgraded to OUT (ankle) for tomorrow's game in Detroit.

Troy Renck ‏@TroyRenck 34m

For #Broncos, guard Louis Vasquez and safety Omar Bolden remain probable on injury report.

Joel
09-26-2015, 04:58 PM
CB Kayvon Webster has been downgraded to OUT (ankle) for tomorrow's game in Detroit.
:(

For #Broncos, guard Louis Vasquez and safety Omar Bolden remain probable on injury report.
:)

I hope our 4th CB plays not only well, but often: Because that would mean a HUGE Broncos lead. I also hope Vasquez is 100% and doesn't aggravate anything, because the last thing our line needs is ANOTHER new starter. At this point I'm not even sure I'd replace our tackles or center with an All Pro: Look how long that's already taking at LG. :mad: