PDA

View Full Version : Denver's "Embarrassment of riches" at pass rusher

VonDoom
09-16-2015, 09:10 AM
Neil Hornsby from PFF has a new weekly column at the MMQB. This week he focuses on the Bronco defense wreaking havoc on quarterbacks:

If getting pressure on the QB is the goal, then the Broncos over-delivered on expectations that were already high. With new defensive coordinator Wade Phillips blitzing on 74% of plays, Denver pressured Joe Flacco on 22 of his 34 dropbacks (or 65% of the time he wanted to throw). To put that in context, the NFL average last year was 34%, and the most pressured quarterback in football was Russell Wilson at 46%.

Of those 22 snaps under duress on Sunday, Flacco was sacked twice, completed just 10 passes for 65 yards and threw an interception. This gave him a passer rating of 36.5 when pressured.

http://mmqb.si.com/mmqb/2015/09/16/broncos-pass-rushers-demarcus-ware-von-miller-shane-ray-shaquil-barrett-malik-jackson-antonio-smith

TXBRONC
09-16-2015, 12:43 PM
"Embarrassment of riches"? I'm not embarrassed at all. :nod:

GEM
09-16-2015, 12:47 PM
Neil Hornsby from PFF has a new weekly column at the MMQB. This week he focuses on the Bronco defense wreaking havoc on quarterbacks:

http://mmqb.si.com/mmqb/2015/09/16/broncos-pass-rushers-demarcus-ware-von-miller-shane-ray-shaquil-barrett-malik-jackson-antonio-smith

Whoooooooooweee! When you put the numbers on paper, it gives ya goosebumps! :D

G_Money
09-16-2015, 12:57 PM
My favorite thing was seeing them pull both Von and DeMarcus for a small breather, and slide Ray and Shaq in there instead - no fear of letting the kids play and keep up the attack. We'll see who takes advantage of our aggression with a bunch of screens and draws, but with the kind of press coverage we can play in the secondary our front 6 or 7 are freed up to go get the ball on every play.

Let's hope that continues. It was a bunch of fun to watch for at least one game.

TXBRONC
09-16-2015, 12:58 PM
Whoooooooooweee! When you put the numbers on paper, it gives ya goosebumps! :D

I think creepy uncle Antonio will be more effective once Wolfe is back from his suspension.

TXBRONC
09-16-2015, 01:00 PM
My favorite thing was seeing them pull both Von and DeMarcus for a small breather, and slide Ray and Shaq in there instead - no fear of letting the kids play and keep up the attack. We'll see who takes advantage of our aggression with a bunch of screens and draws, but with the kind of press coverage we can play in the secondary our front 6 or 7 are freed up to go get the ball on every play.

Let's hope that continues. It was a bunch of fun to watch for at least one game.

I think Denver could do the same with inside backers as well. Nelson and Davis can hold their own while Trevathan and Marshall get a breather.

Al Wilson 4 Mayor
09-16-2015, 01:51 PM
Did Barrett or Ray get any pressures or qb hits?

ShaneFalco
09-16-2015, 01:56 PM
yea i think st. louis and Denver will have best Ds in the NFL this year. Wade has been awesome. And so has Williams, both have the same mindset. Blitz BLITZ BLITZ!

BroncoWave
09-16-2015, 02:14 PM
yea i think st. louis and Denver will have best Ds in the NFL this year. Wade has been awesome. And so has Williams, both have the same mindset. Blitz BLITZ BLITZ!

Yes that vicious Rams D who gave up 31 in week 1!

MOtorboat
09-16-2015, 02:30 PM

The Rams defense only gave up 17.

MOtorboat
09-16-2015, 02:31 PM
The pass rush is really good. They also held the point of attack well in the opening game and didn't allow the Ravens to run or to throw screen passes. A good start.

BroncoWave
09-16-2015, 02:32 PM
The Rams defense only gave up 17.

Dammit Mo, will you just let me troll Shane, please?

ShaneFalco
09-16-2015, 02:35 PM
cant troll 6 sacks of russel wilsons bro.

DenBronx
09-16-2015, 02:43 PM
Rams do look like a top 5 D, even better than Seattle at this point.

But I still could give a flying **** about them.

#broncosup

GEM
09-16-2015, 03:00 PM

Hello Shane,

The Other NFL Teams Forum is over there ---------------------------------->
We don't care bout no stinkin lambchops! It's all Denver, baby!

Love,
GEM

ShaneFalco
09-16-2015, 03:04 PM
:lol: lambchops

Al Wilson 4 Mayor
09-16-2015, 03:22 PM
:lol: lambchops

Love,
Gem

:laugh:

VonDoom
09-16-2015, 03:54 PM
By the way, just saw this and figured it was as good a place as any to put this. Never change, JDR ...

Josh Dubow Verified account
‏@JoshDubowAP

Per STATS, the #Raiders were the only team not to blitz once in week 1. Rest of league averaged 13+ blitzes in opener

Al Wilson 4 Mayor
09-16-2015, 04:10 PM
By the way, just saw this and figured it was as good a place as any to put this. Never change, JDR ...

‏@JoshDubowAP

Per STATS, the #Raiders were the only team not to blitz once in week 1. Rest of league averaged 13+ blitzes in opener

Sounds like last year.

Btw, I was shocked they traded Sio Moore.

DenBronx
09-16-2015, 04:13 PM

‏@JoshDubowAP

Yeah JDR wasn't very aggressive when he was here. I see the drastic change with Phillips, which is very refreshing. It's like night and day so far and Phillips knows how to get the best out of our players and runs a 3-4, which I love. Clearly the problem was never the players on the field but how to use them. We had a good defense with JDR but just being good isn't good enough. We should be ELITE with the talent we have.

Also, Ware is a monster in this system. Love that!

TXBRONC
09-16-2015, 04:14 PM

No one will ever accuse you of pointing the negative. :lol: