PDA

View Full Version : Five takeaways from Broncos final preseason game

Denver Native (Carol)
09-04-2015, 09:52 AM
Coaches make tough decisions. It reminds me of something Clint Hurdle used to say when the Rockies were skidding to oblivion: Faith is believing in what you can’t see.

Difficult choices loom before Saturday’s 2 p.m. deadline to reach 53 players. Montee Ball didn’t provide any stats to demand he keep a roster spot. He finished with 27 yards on 16 carries. But coach Gary Kubiak defended Ball to a degree given the problems with the offensive line.

“Obviously, the numbers aren’t good. But we didn’t run the ball a lick in the game,” Kubiak said. “I’ve got to look at the big picture. I would say watching the game, I don’t know how many fair opportunities he had. I know he played hard.”

rest - http://blogs.denverpost.com/broncos/2015/09/04/five-takeaways-from-broncos-final-preseason-game/35312/

pnbronco
09-04-2015, 10:29 AM
Dog you may not get your heart broken:

Wide receiver Bennie Fowler appeared to sew up a spot. He caught five passes for 56 yards, and showed the ability to gain yards after the catch.

The kid played his heart out. Um didn't Bibbs play with the same line as Ball?

Ziggy
09-04-2015, 12:05 PM

Wide receiver Bennie Fowler appeared to sew up a spot. He caught five passes for 56 yards, and showed the ability to gain yards after the catch.

Ball- 27 yards on 16 carries
Bibbs- 27 yards on 6 carries

G_Money
09-04-2015, 12:20 PM
–Tackle Michael Schofield failed to capitalize on his opportunity. Just days after the team expressed confidence in him by trading Chris Clark, Schofield couldn’t contain bull rushers. It was a discouraging performance, one that calls into question, at least for me, on whether he can suit up on game day against the Ravens.

Yup. You better know what you're doing, Elway - an injury to one of our starting tackles could get Manning killed. We bringing in Long or what? Guess we'll see after we find out who hits the lines with all of Saturday's cuts.

dogfish
09-04-2015, 12:29 PM

awesome! thanks for posting this, P. . . i really do like the kid-- they need to keep him. . . too bad we couldn't trade caldwell after a solid pre-season. . . i know five's probably the target number for WR, but i wish they could find a way to keep six. . . norwood, caldwell and fowler all really deserve spots. . . i particularly want them to keep fowler given that latimer still really hasn't shown up. . . aside from draft status, i haven't seen anything that says he's a better player than bennie, who's also a valuable special teamer. . .

:defense:

TXBRONC
09-04-2015, 12:50 PM
Ball- 27 yards on 16 carries
Bibbs- 27 yards on 6 carries

Yeah that's bad for Ball considering they both ran behind the same line.

pnbronco
09-04-2015, 01:11 PM
Yup. You better know what you're doing, Elway - an injury to one of our starting tackles could get Manning killed. We bringing in Long or what? Guess we'll see after we find out who hits the lines with all of Saturday's cuts.

This is why I still do not understand that Clark trade.... I am a big, big fan of sweetie pie Clark.....but Schofield just has not shown growth IMO or that of all the news reports I've read.... Schofield is nice kid...but I don't want Manning to get hurt over keeping a draft pick.....

TXBRONC
09-04-2015, 01:51 PM

I'm guessing Elway didn't sign Long because he's not healthy enough to play.

ShaneFalco
09-04-2015, 04:09 PM
one thing that i noticed during not per say the final game, but preseason as a whole, is how Manning doesnt throw the ball more then 15 yards anymore. I dont understand, is his arm just gone? or are they saving the plays for reg season?

Kind of troubling for me. Guy is the greatest, but how can this team go anywhere if he is limited to throws under 15 yards? Got faith in CJ to run, but thats it. He cant carry everything the entire season. hope i am wrong.

Simple Jaded
09-04-2015, 10:02 PM
Ball got hit behind the LOS on 9 of his 16 carries, might have been the same OL but it sure wasn't the same blocking.

Simple Jaded
09-04-2015, 10:06 PM
one thing that i noticed during not per say the final game, but preseason as a whole, is how Manning doesnt throw the ball more then 15 yards anymore. I dont understand, is his arm just gone? or are they saving the plays for reg season?

Kind of troubling for me. Guy is the greatest, but how can this team go anywhere if he is limited to throws under 15 yards? Got faith in CJ to run, but thats it. He cant carry everything the entire season. hope i am wrong.

The Broncos have overcome far bigger limitations at QB before.

Davii
09-04-2015, 10:46 PM

Like normal, you're wrong or at least blowing things way out of proportion. Every player that catches passes has remarked how much stronger his arm is right now, he overthrew at least one rather long pass that I recall, and it seemed like the rush was getting through pretty quickly as well. Manning can't hold the ball long enough to let people get downfield for a long throw if the line isn't getting it done.

ShaneFalco
09-04-2015, 10:50 PM
Manning can't hold the ball long enough to let people get downfield for a long throw if the line isn't getting it done.

so why is brock rolling out and throwing 50+ yarders?

Its not all o line.

I just haven't seen manning throw a deep pass all preseason. Only thing that makes me question it.

Davii
09-04-2015, 10:53 PM

Its not all o line.

I just haven't seen manning throw a deep pass all preseason. Only thing that makes me question it.

How many 50+ yard bombs did Brock throw, when did he throw them, against what level of competition was he in against at the time, etc?

Besides the play-action roll out thing... You do understand how that works, right?

Stop being a drama queen.

ShaneFalco
09-04-2015, 10:54 PM
threw one last night and the game before to caldwell right?

Show me one pass from Manning beyond 15 yards. No drama needed.

ShaneFalco
09-04-2015, 10:57 PM
maybe they just havnt called a deep pass with manning in, but sorry, i havent seen one in preseason, and it kinda makes me worry.

Davii
09-04-2015, 11:02 PM
maybe they just havnt called a deep pass with manning in, but sorry, i havent seen one in preseason, and it kinda makes me worry.

Really? Give me a ******* break. If he didn't have sufficient arm strength to throw more than ten yards he wouldn't have been brought back. Do you think Elway brought him back out of the goodness of his heart?

You want to compare what was done against a team playing their scrubs against starters, go ahead. Manning didn't even play 25% as much as the other QBs yet somehow had three sacks. The game he had the most time in he was getting rushers through almost immediately. Go watch the replays, I promise you'll see more than one ball in the air longer than ten yards.

ShaneFalco
09-04-2015, 11:15 PM
Relax Bruce banner. Im not against manning or anything. i prefer he throws a 60 yard bomb to DT the first play of reg season for a td.

Davii
09-04-2015, 11:19 PM
Relax Bruce banner. Im not against manning or anything. i prefer he throws a 60 yard bomb to DT the first play of reg season for a td.

Bruce Banner? Whatever Shane.

Simple Jaded
09-04-2015, 11:38 PM
That Texans game seemed to be nothing but check downs with the exception of Osweiler/Caldwell bomb, apparently coaches told RB's to get ready to catch some passes.

Al Wilson 4 Mayor
09-05-2015, 01:08 AM

Its not all o line.

Dude, Brock has a cannon for an arm. That is a silly analysis.

SR
09-05-2015, 07:49 AM
Bruce Banner? Whatever Shane.

This makes me sad.

Shazam!
09-05-2015, 08:29 AM
I thought Shane was leaving.

TXBRONC
09-05-2015, 09:06 AM
That Texans game seemed to be nothing but check downs with the exception of Osweiler/Caldwell bomb, apparently coaches told RB's to get ready to catch some passes.

Osweiler did a lot checking down throughout the preseason. FWIW he threw two long passes to Caldwell the second one was overthrown in the second quarter iirc.

TXBRONC
09-05-2015, 09:09 AM

Its not all o line.

You are obviously very ignorant about Manning's career.

Davii
09-05-2015, 08:30 PM

Shane "Kardashian" Falco?

TXBRONC
09-05-2015, 08:33 PM
Shane "Kardashian" Falco?

Now that Tebow has been cut by the Eagles he may not be around for a day or two.

ShaneFalco
09-05-2015, 08:36 PM

no i decided that 4 clowns were not worth leaving over when i have other friends on this site. But thanks for letting me know who else to add to ignore. :)

SR
09-05-2015, 08:39 PM
no i decided that 4 clowns were not worth leaving over when i have other friends on this site. But thanks for letting me know who else to add to ignore. :)

I bet you're equally disliked everywhere else you post

TXBRONC
09-05-2015, 08:51 PM
I bet you're equally disliked everywhere else you post

:lol:

ShaneFalco
09-05-2015, 09:02 PM
Tx welcome to ignore. Quoting people i have on ignore to troll me. you not worth it bro.

:D

Going to be awesome to come to this site just seeing football stuff, instead of the people who live under bridges.

TXBRONC
09-05-2015, 09:12 PM
Tx welcome to ignore. Quoting people i have on ignore to troll me. you not worth it bro.

:D

I didn't quote him to troll you Lonestar.

If someone who is not on Chronic's ignore list would quote this so he'll see it I would appreciate it.

SR
09-05-2015, 09:13 PM
Tx welcome to ignore. Quoting people i have on ignore to troll me. you not worth it bro. :D Going to be awesome to come to this site just seeing football stuff, instead of the people who live under bridges.

I've got a pretty ****** nice bridge.

Al Wilson 4 Mayor
I didn't quote him to troll you Lonestar.

If someone who is not on Chronic's ignore list would quote this so he'll see it I would appreciate it.

:laugh:

Falco with the hair trigger.

SR
I didn't quote him to troll you Lonestar. If someone who is not on Chronic's ignore list would quote this so he'll see it I would appreciate it.

I would, but dammit.

ShaneFalco
09-05-2015, 09:14 PM
sorry tex you broke my heart.

TXBRONC
09-05-2015, 09:16 PM
:laugh:

Falco with the hair trigger.

He's got to be related to Lonestar. :lol:

TXBRONC
09-05-2015, 09:17 PM
I would, but dammit.

Well it is what it is.

MasterShake
09-05-2015, 10:00 PM
Guys please stay on topic. Lets not make the last week before the the games that matter LONGER.

SR
09-05-2015, 10:06 PM
Guys please stay on topic. Lets not make the last week before the the games that matter LONGER.

Take your (mod) pants off Shake.

Al Wilson 4 Mayor
09-05-2015, 10:10 PM
Take your (mod) panties off Shake.

Yeah, what he said. :D

TXBRONC
09-06-2015, 07:47 AM
Yeah, what he said. :D

Way to be supportive Al. :lol: