PDA

View Full Version : On ‘Hard Knocks,’ John Elway says he’s ‘trying to move one or two’ inside linebackers

Denver Native (Carol)
09-02-2015, 09:07 AM
Wondering how that Chris Clark trade went down with the Texans? Probably with a lot less glamour than you were envisioning.

On Episode 4 of HBO’s “Hard Knocks,” which aired Tuesday, Broncos general manager John Elway was on speaker phone with Rick Smith as the Texans’ GM was driving to NRG Stadium in Houston on Saturday. The two hashed out the details of the trade that would send Clark to Houston for a seventh-round draft pick in 2016.

Clark’s name was not mentioned during the aired portion of the conversation, but the “him” was obvious. The other unnamed players may not be, though. The full conversation:

rest - http://blogs.denverpost.com/broncos/2015/09/01/on-hard-knocks-john-elway-says-hes-trying-to-move-one-or-two-inside-linebackers/35240/

VonDoom
09-02-2015, 09:36 AM
This is interesting. I wonder who he's trying to move. If it's a guy on the bubble, I would figure he would just get cut anyway. Unless this was just GM speak for "I want the pick, not a player"

underrated29
09-02-2015, 09:38 AM
Rumors are swirling it's with the Texans again....?

And that it's likely trev and barrow...

What dl do the Texans have with value close to trev? Clowney? No way the Texans would do that. So it's either not with the Texans or it's not trev. And likely Barrett.

Denver Native (Carol)
09-02-2015, 09:53 AM
Where are the rumors coming from? It would be hard for me to believe that Danny would be included in this. Stephen Johnson might be a possibility.

Buff
09-02-2015, 09:57 AM
Sometimes ur kills me... Rumors are swirling that it's with the Texans? Yeah, it was on national TV and we all saw it.

Let's use our heads a little bit - a guy coming off two serious knee surgeries with a cadaver knee cap doesn't have any trade value - or if he does have value it's so depressed that it would be silly to trade him now.

I took the comment to mean, "We are just as deep as you at ILB and could move somebody if necessary." Moreso than "We are actively trying to trade an ILB." It was in response to Smith asking if we needed an ILB in return for Clark.

underrated29
09-02-2015, 10:41 AM
Sometimes ur kills me... Rumors are swirling that it's with the Texans? Yeah, it was on national TV and we all saw it.

Let's use our heads a little bit - a guy coming off two serious knee surgeries with a cadaver knee cap doesn't have any trade value - or if he does have value it's so depressed that it would be silly to trade him now.

I took the comment to mean, "We are just as deep as you at ILB and could move somebody if necessary." Moreso than "We are actively trying to trade an ILB." It was in response to Smith asking if we needed an ILB in return for Clark.

I didnt see it because I didnt watch hard knocks. I find it weird we would make one trade with the texans and then make another one with them later. I also am going to presume that many people did not watch the hard knocks. The rumors are coming from Vic Lombardi and troy renk or whatever his name is. If you do not like what they have to say you should take it up with them.

Buff
09-02-2015, 10:58 AM
I didnt see it because I didnt watch hard knocks. I find it weird we would make one trade with the texans and then make another one with them later. I also am going to presume that many people did not watch the hard knocks. The rumors are coming from Vic Lombardi and troy renk or whatever his name is. If you do not like what they have to say you should take it up with them.

The rumor that Lombardi and Renck are perpetuating is coming from one statement on Hard Knocks. It's not out of the realm of possibility that we'll trade another ILB to a team other than the Texans - I'm just telling you how I interpreted the context of the conversation - and it was more a reaction to Smith's question asking if we need an ILB than it was a definitive statement about being motivated to move an ILB.

underrated29
09-02-2015, 11:03 AM
that clears it up a little bit. Vic was saying it on the fan. I was thinking he got word from someone in dove valley and then there was another rumor coming from the hard knocks and with these two separate rumors where there is smoke there is fire.

I didnt know that vic stemmed what he was talking about from the hard knocks episode too.

tubby
09-02-2015, 11:26 AM
Marshall
Trevathan
Johnson
Davis
Nelson
Barrow

If you don't have room for all 6 on the 53, why not try and get something in return.....

Timmy!
09-02-2015, 12:59 PM

^this. Smith asked how we were at ILB, Elway didn't offer it up. He basically said we have a lot of depth there, and looking at our projected 53 we might try to move somebody instead of cutting them, so no, we want the pick. "Rumors swirling." :lol:

underrated29
09-02-2015, 01:58 PM
Well if you didnt watch hard knocks and hear vic on the radio talking about the broncos, trevathan and the texans being the trade partner.....Then you see troy renk is sending out info about the broncos looking to trade 1 or more Ilbs to a team. Then you come onto this site and see that carol has a thread with another source, a third source, hard knocks....What else can you call it aside from rumors swirling?

For any person that did not watch hard knocks and found out about all of this from three different sources, they would say the same. I am sorry that I did not watch the hardknocks episode to therefore know that this all came from it. I demand you all un-hi five Buff right now. This travesty will not stand

Timmy!
09-02-2015, 02:01 PM
I'd high five Buff twice if I could.

underrated29
09-02-2015, 02:05 PM

I was awaiting that response. But I didnt expect it from you. I hereby tender my resignation as your friend Timmy! You now join the ranks of Nut and Dave and West.

Timmy!
09-02-2015, 02:12 PM
I was awaiting that response. But I didnt expect it from you. I hereby tender my resignation as your friend Timmy! You now join the ranks of Nut and Dave and West.

http://o.aolcdn.com/hss/storage/midas/129f43bb9aac415aadacdf416cd22954/202388980/08bfcc8d25af708509b5efcee7fb51e5.gif

tomjonesrocks
09-02-2015, 02:20 PM
It was interesting watching that footage with Elway on the blower in the ep. Seemed a very warm and cordial relationship there with the Texans. Beyond typical negotiations.

Does Elway have to OK that getting included? Is him mentioning those RBs something he'd want on the show?

Al Wilson 4 Mayor
09-02-2015, 02:28 PM
It was interesting watching that footage with Elway on the blower in the ep. Seemed a very warm and cordial relationship there with the Texans. Beyond typical negotiations.

Does Elway have to OK that getting included? Is him mentioning those RBs something he'd want on the show?

Wasn't Rick Smith the GM in Denver when Elway played?

BroncoJoe
09-02-2015, 02:29 PM

I highfived him and sent a mile high salute.

BroncoJoe
09-02-2015, 02:29 PM
Wasn't Rick Smith the GM in Denver when Elway played?

No.

Al Wilson 4 Mayor
09-02-2015, 02:32 PM
No.

Asst. GM?

underrated29
09-02-2015, 02:38 PM
I highfived him and sent a mile high salute.

#deadtome too

VonDoom
09-02-2015, 02:39 PM
Asst. GM?

According to his Wiki:

1996-2000 Assistant Defensive Backs Coach - Denver Broncos
2000-2006 Director of Pro Personnel - Denver Broncos
2006-2012 General Manager - Houston Texans
2012-Present General Manager and Executive Vice President - Houston Texans

tomjonesrocks
09-02-2015, 03:23 PM
According to his Wiki: 1996-2000 Assistant Defensive Backs Coach - Denver Broncos 2000-2006 Director of Pro Personnel - Denver Broncos 2006-2012 General Manager - Houston Texans 2012-Present General Manager and Executive Vice President - Houston Texans

That's a pretty nice little ascent.

Al Wilson 4 Mayor
09-02-2015, 03:36 PM
That's a pretty nice little ascent.

He's done a good job with drafting too. It appears as though he's a pretty sharp dude.

Valar Morghulis
09-02-2015, 03:58 PM
Well if you didnt watch hard knocks and hear vic on the radio talking about the broncos, trevathan and the texans being the trade partner.....Then you see troy renk is sending out info about the broncos looking to trade 1 or more Ilbs to a team. Then you come onto this site and see that carol has a thread with another source, a third source, hard knocks....What else can you call it aside from rumors swirling?

For any person that did not watch hard knocks and found out about all of this from three different sources, they would say the same. I am sorry that I did not watch the hardknocks episode to therefore know that this all came from it. I demand you all un-hi five Buff right now. This travesty will not stand

I would love them to trade for JJ watt - just to prove you right UR!

Valar Morghulis
09-02-2015, 03:59 PM

Wait - wut?

I thought we were tighter than that UR.

Cancel my last post.