PDA

View Full Version : How important is mobile app vs mobile friendly BroncosForums?

Tned
08-28-2015, 10:21 PM
I'm posting this here for visibility rather than in Town Hall.

vBulletin as a company is in a tailspin. If I upgrade to the vB5, I think most users will hate it (that's what's happened on most sites that have converted) and things like the high five and MHS will go away. At the same time, It's getting harder and harder to stay on the old version. Their mobile apps aren't very good and hard to work with. Forum Runner will not get any future updates (it was bought by vBulletin's parent company, and then development was killed on it).

One option is Xenforo, which was created by some of the original vBulletin designers. They don't have mobile apps, but they designed it to be responsive, so it works very well on mobile phones. Check out their support forum here, and you can even easily login to it using Facebook, Twitter or Google (or register an account) to see how posting, thanks (what would be come a high five) and the like will work.

Please visit https://xenforo.com/community/ from your phone/tablet and see what you think, and if this would be a reasonable alternative to a mobile app.

Based on playing around, I think Xenforo has done such a good job with their reponsive design (making it work equally well on PC, tablet or phone) that I don't think a mobile app is necessary.

Please take a look and give me your feedback or any other thoughts on the subject of vBulletin, moving and the like.

Thanks

T

Davii
08-28-2015, 11:08 PM

vBulletin as a company is in a tailspin. If I upgrade to the vB5, I think most users will hate it (that's what's happened on most sites that have converted) and things like the high five and MHS will go away. At the same time, It's getting harder and harder to stay on the old version. Their mobile apps aren't very good and hard to work with. Forum Runner will not get any future updates (it was bought by vBulletin's parent company, and then development was killed on it).

One option is Xenforo, which was created by some of the original vBulletin designers. They don't have mobile apps, but they designed it to be responsive, so it works very well on mobile phones. Check out their support forum here, and you can even easily login to it using Facebook, Twitter or Google (or register an account) to see how posting, thanks (what would be come a high five) and the like will work.

Please visit https://xenforo.com/community/ from your phone/tablet and see what you think, and if this would be a reasonable alternative to a mobile app.

Based on playing around, I think Xenforo has done such a good job with their reponsive design (making it work equally well on PC, tablet or phone) that I don't think a mobile app is necessary.

Please take a look and give me your feedback or any other thoughts on the subject of vBulletin, moving and the like.

Thanks

T

I checked it out on both my tablet and my phone and found it to work great on both. I downloaded the app, used it for a bit, then just used the full site when mobile after that. I see no need for an application.

G_Money
08-28-2015, 11:32 PM
The old mobile app here is no great shakes. That site works better on my galaxy for sure. Just do the conversion. It should be mobile friendly enough, and mobile friendly is better anyway. App support can go fast, or get broken easily, and like you said, vbulletin is sliding into the gutter. No need for us to follow. :)

Valar Morghulis
08-29-2015, 02:49 AM
That mobile friendly thing looks good

In other, slightly related news

I just got an iPhone and it kept crashing, I thought forum runner might by the cause, so I went to the App Store but could not find the bf app I used to use pre forum runner, has that app been cancelled?

wayninja
08-29-2015, 03:16 AM
I think it totally depends on whether or not you want to pay for it. Xenforo is attractive because it has strong support (since you pay for it) and is aesthetically pleasing. However, if you are willing to put time over money, there is a lot that can be done with open source software such as phbBB.

Here's what ars technical has done with phbBB, it looks pretty good (although color scheme is definitely not broncos) and I'm not sure what support you'd have for MHS and High five etc. I know there is reputation support, but I'm not sure how robust it is. Again, it'd likely be a fairly steep learning curve unless you do this lots. Which of course, Tned, you do, right?

http://arstechnica.com/civis/

Tned
08-29-2015, 04:20 AM
I think it totally depends on whether or not you want to pay for it. Xenforo is attractive because it has strong support (since you pay for it) and is aesthetically pleasing. However, if you are willing to put time over money, there is a lot that can be done with open source software such as phbBB.

Here's what ars technical has done with phbBB, it looks pretty good (although color scheme is definitely not broncos) and I'm not sure what support you'd have for MHS and High five etc. I know there is reputation support, but I'm not sure how robust it is. Again, it'd likely be a fairly steep learning curve unless you do this lots. Which of course, Tned, you do, right?

http://arstechnica.com/civis/

I played with phpbb many years ago, before BroncosForums was around. These days, I have no time. I don't even have time to come on and post (hoping that changes soon). So, I'm only looking at the the main paid forums, Xenforo, IPB or sticking with VB.

Traveler
08-29-2015, 05:57 AM
I say stick with vb until you absolutely have to switch. Checked out the site too and agree with Davii.

BroncoWave
08-29-2015, 06:43 AM
I'd prefer a mobile friendly site to an app, takes up less space on my phone. I've always just used the website on my phone from chrome and it works great.

Northman
08-29-2015, 07:41 AM
I have no idea but the app i have for Broncosforums sucks. Very unfriendly.

Dapper Dan
08-29-2015, 09:30 AM
I'd prefer a mobile friendly site to an app, takes up less space on my phone. I've always just used the website on my phone from chrome and it works great.

This.

BroncoJoe
08-29-2015, 09:49 AM
Accessing the site Tned linked to on my phone is very similar to the mobile view option here. The PC/main view would take some getting used to, but do what you need to do T.

aberdien
08-29-2015, 09:52 AM
I've never used the app and just get on normally through chrome on my phone and I have no problems. Apps are for babies.

Hardwired
08-29-2015, 10:15 AM
Yeah, the mobile app here sucks and links don't expire correctly on the board, so I'm in favor of an upgrade.

GEM
08-29-2015, 10:31 AM
I also just log in through the site on my phone.

dogfish
08-29-2015, 11:08 AM
yea, i've never used the app-- i just log in to the site directly from my phone. . . honestly though, i really never use the site from my phone anyway, so i don't care if it's phone-friendly or not. . . how it works on a PC is my only concern. . .

BroncoJoe
08-29-2015, 11:16 AM
yea, i've never used the app-- i just log in to the site directly from my phone. . . honestly though, i really never use the site from my phone anyway, so i don't care if it's phone-friendly or not. . . how it works on a PC is my only concern. . .

The only time I use my phone is just to check if anything is interesting and new. If I'm not at home, I typically don't have time to visit this site. If I want to post something detailed or pictures, I use the PC.

I don't think there are a lot of users that only use their phone. Could be wrong though.

Valar Morghulis
08-29-2015, 11:25 AM

As long as you are ok dog

dogfish
08-29-2015, 11:30 AM
As long as you are ok dog

thanks, dave. . . i agree that it should be a high priority!

LTC Pain
08-29-2015, 11:57 AM
I like the mobile app. But, the creator needs to remove the spam ads that covers the bottom 1/5 of the screen.

BroncoWave
08-29-2015, 12:00 PM
The only time I use my phone is just to check if anything is interesting and new. If I'm not at home, I typically don't have time to visit this site. If I want to post something detailed or pictures, I use the PC.

I don't think there are a lot of users that only use their phone. Could be wrong though.

I probably do close to half my posting from my phone. Usually during my down time at work.

Shazam!
08-29-2015, 12:01 PM
Been using the mobile app for years now. Limited options and all but it's what I'm used to.

tomjonesrocks
08-29-2015, 12:02 PM
That mobile friendly thing looks good In other, slightly related news I just got an iPhone and it kept crashing, I thought forum runner might by the cause, so I went to the App Store but could not find the bf app I used to use pre forum runner, has that app been cancelled?

FR was a nightmare for me for years - until this last iOS update which magically fixed everything. Make sure your OS is up to date if on iPhone.

SR was saying the same and I didn't know what he was talking about until I got the Apple update.

tomjonesrocks
08-29-2015, 12:04 PM
I like the mobile app. But, the creator needs to remove the spam ads that covers the bottom 1/5 of the screen.

But there are hot singles in my area that want to **** me!

Sometimes it's just Amazon. But for a site with members with a lot of delicate, conservative/moralistic sensibilities - the banners touting hot/flirty young girls and whatnot seem a little "low rent".

LTC Pain
08-29-2015, 12:07 PM
But there are hot singles in my area that want to **** me!

Your phone obviously gets different pop-up ads from the Broncos mobile app than mine!

tomjonesrocks
08-29-2015, 12:15 PM
Your phone obviously gets different pop-up ads from the Broncos mobile app than mine!

I'd own my browsing behavior if I was looking up a lot of a "certain type of content" - it's honestly quite boring and clean. I'm getting old.

No, I believe the ads are proactively serving up occasional sleaze.

For shame. Shame, shame shame.

Denver Native (Carol)
08-29-2015, 01:22 PM

I am probably the ONLY person who does not have a cell phone, because I don't WANT one. The only way I can get on is thru my PC

Tned
08-29-2015, 01:36 PM
I am probably the ONLY person who does not have a cell phone, because I don't WANT one. The only way I can get on is thru my PC

In many ways I miss the days of not having a cell phone.

Sent from my Galaxy Tab S using Forum Runner

MasterShake
08-29-2015, 01:56 PM

Thanks

T

Since I am in the process of converting the City and County of Denver's website into a responsive site, I really like the xenforo option. I have the Broncosforums app on my phone and I still tend just to visit it on my phone browser instead. Responsive sites are really the trend right now and they are a good one in my opinion. They eliminate the need to recreate entire sites in app form, especially when storage is so limited on many phones as it is. Plus the apps never have the full functionality of the sites they are emulating.

wayninja
08-29-2015, 06:48 PM
I use the iPhone 6 plus, which is basically like lugging a pc around, so no need to use the mobile app.

Tned
08-29-2015, 07:01 PM
I use the iPhone 6 plus, which is basically like lugging a pc around, so no need to use the mobile app.

I just switched to the S6 Edge+, so I'm also lugging a laptop around in my pocket.

Northman
08-29-2015, 08:49 PM

Carol=#oldschool

SR
08-29-2015, 08:52 PM
Carol, how many hours per day do you spend on the computer?

BroncoWave
08-29-2015, 10:35 PM
I just switched to the S6 Edge+, so I'm also lugging a laptop around in my pocket.

I have never had a Galaxy before but I am considering switching to the S6 soon. What do you think about it?