PDA

View Full Version : Broncos sign Evan Mathis

VonDoom
08-25-2015, 05:06 PM
Adam Schefter ‏@AdamSchefter 4m4 minutes ago

Broncos and former Eagles G Evan Mathis agreed to a one-year deal, per league source.

Holy s**t!

Northman
08-25-2015, 05:07 PM
Thats good.

VonDoom
08-25-2015, 05:08 PM
And just when I was coming to terms with our youthful OL. I guess Garcia sits for now.

Sambrailo/Mathis/Paradis/Vasquez/?? - Harris has been pretty poor so far. Maybe Schofield gets a shot this week?

VonDoom
08-25-2015, 05:10 PM
John Elway ‏@johnelway 37s38 seconds ago

Agreed to terms on a one-year deal with Pro Bowl G Evan Mathis, an accomplished vet who has played at a very high level in recent seasons.

Ian Rapoport ‏@RapSheet 38s39 seconds ago

Evan Mathis’ deal is worth $4mil with incentives. He turned a $5.5mil deal down from another team because he wanted to play for a contender

Troy Renck ‏@TroyRenck 1m1 minute ago

I knew there were looking at a guard. Surprised it's Mathis only because they had cap issues

Adam Caplan ‏@caplannfl 3m3 minutes ago

I know that Evan told me weeks ago that having a chance to win Super Bowl was very important to him. Great chance to do that with #Broncos.

Andrew Mason ‏@MaseDenver 4m4 minutes ago

Signing of @EvanMathis69 is massive for OL. DEN can now claim the NFL's best set of guards.

BroncoWave
08-25-2015, 05:13 PM
Nice. Elway does it again.

chazoe60
08-25-2015, 05:13 PM
This is great news. JFE doing work

Al Wilson 4 Mayor
08-25-2015, 05:14 PM
And just when I was coming to terms with our youthful OL. I guess Garcia sits for now.

Sambrailo/Mathis/Paradis/Vasquez/?? - Harris has been pretty poor so far. Maybe Schofield gets a shot this week?

Why do you say Harris has played poorly? Thats not what I've heard. I heard Schofield has played poorly

UnderArmour
08-25-2015, 05:19 PM
He'll be great to have next to Golden Sambrailo. Max Garcia was developing, but he is no Evan Mathis. Maybe he gets a chance to compete at center Paradis. Just hoping the Broncos don't try to kick Vasquez out again and that Harris can still ball.

Denver Native (Carol)
08-25-2015, 05:19 PM
ENGLEWOOD, Colo. -- The Broncos needed more experience up front. A two-time Pro Bowler and All-Pro from as recently as 2013 was still on the market.

The collision of those two circumstances spurred the Broncos' decision to add Mathis, who agreed to terms on a one-year contract Tuesday afternoon. Mathis provides an instant injection of elite recent performance to an offensive line that on Saturday in Houston started three starters who had never played a regular season snap.

With Mathis aboard, he team has -- on paper, at least -- perhaps the league's best set of guards. Mathis worked at left guard in Philadelphia; he and right guard Louis Vasquez were All-Pros together as recently as 2013.

rest - http://www.denverbroncos.com/news-and-blogs/article-1/Broncos-agree-to-terms-with-two-time-Pro-Bowl-guard-Evan-Mathis/ba67885d-72dc-425a-8102-1085299c2796

Timmy!
08-25-2015, 05:43 PM
http://community.us.playstation.com/t5/image/serverpage/image-id/257423i450CA8BFA1A9D844/image-size/original?v=mpbl-1&px=-1

GEM
08-25-2015, 05:59 PM
Channel 4 texted just that they picked up an offensive lineman...no name and no position. :laugh: In a hurry, Channel 4?

TXBRONC
08-25-2015, 05:59 PM
This is very helpful to two young and inexperienced offensive linemen.

TXBRONC
08-25-2015, 06:01 PM
Thats good.

Understatement of the year. :lol:

I'm kidding.

VonDoom
08-25-2015, 06:10 PM
Why do you say Harris has played poorly? Thats not what I've heard. I heard Schofield has played poorly

His PFF grade has been bad, given his limited playing time so far. If that doesn't float your boat, he might look better with the eye test but I honestly can't say I've noticed him one way or the other so far.

VonDoom
08-25-2015, 06:11 PM
Nicki Jhabvala ‏@NickiJhabvala 8m8 minutes ago

.@EvanMathis69 agreed to a 1-yr deal for $2.5M, pending physical, w/ chance to reach $4M with incentives

TXBRONC
08-25-2015, 06:13 PM
His PFF grade has been bad, given his limited playing time so far. If that doesn't float your boat, he might look better with the eye test but I honestly can't say I've noticed him one way or the other so far.

I thought he did good job in pass protection run blocking is a little harder to tell.

Cugel
08-25-2015, 06:25 PM
From Rotoworld:

Broncos signed OG Evan Mathis to a one-year contract. (http://www.rotoworld.com/teams/nfl/den/denver-broncos)
ESPN's Adam Caplan reports the deal is worth "up to" $4 million if Mathis hits certain playing-time incentives. It has a $2.5 million base. The biggest difference maker left on the open market at any position, Mathis graded out as Pro Football Focus' No. 2 guard in 2014. Mathis goes a long way toward solidifying a line that's been racked by injuries and question marks this summer. Mathis will send LG Max Garcia to the bench, and line up alongside LT Ty Sambrailo, C Matt Paradis, RG Louis Vasquez and RT Chris Clark. It's still a much sorrier group than Peyton Manning had gotten used to working with in Denver.

I don't know that it's a "sorrier" group than last years OL which was a total patchwork, and as of now Ryan Harris, not Chris Clark is starting at RT, so this doesn't seem like terribly informed commentary about the Broncos.

Right now, outside of Sambrailo, this line looks pretty solid. Peyton wasn't touched last game. Sambrailo is still a work in progress, and I'd be happier if they managed to sign a veteran LT like Long, but perhaps he's just not healthy enough or wanted too much $. I liked Max Garcia, and I think he earned his starting job, but it's night and day difference between him and Mathis.

Either way, it may possibly be that they are not done adding talent to the OL yet. That would depend on who becomes available on the market.

This is huge though. They got an All-pro talent. This is a one-year rental though. Mathis wants more than $6 million a year. That's why he talked his way off the Eagles:

Chip Kelly said Evan Mathis asked to be released by the Eagles.
Speaking at a Tuesday press conference, Kelly tried to turn the narrative away from the Eagles cutting an All-Pro caliber player at their thinnest position. Of course, he failed to mention that Mathis -- although disgruntled -- was planning on showing up to this week's mandatory minicamp. The Eagles could have simply forced him to play out his $5.5 million contract for this season. Instead, they're going to be starting Allen Barbre at left guard and one of Matt Tobin, Andrew Gardner and Dennis Kelly at right guard. Mathis' desire to be cut suggests he expects to land more than $5.5M on the open market.

That's Chip Kelly for you. Arrogant twit all the way. I think he's the next Josh McDaniels, and will last about as long - i.e. 2 disastrous seasons and then he can go back to college.

NightTerror218
08-25-2015, 06:47 PM
From Rotoworld:

I don't know that it's a "sorrier" group than last years OL which was a total patchwork, and as of now Ryan Harris, not Chris Clark is starting at RT, so this doesn't seem like terribly informed commentary about the Broncos.

Right now, outside of Sambrailo, this line looks pretty solid. Peyton wasn't touched last game. Sambrailo is still a work in progress, and I'd be happier if they managed to sign a veteran LT like Long, but perhaps he's just not healthy enough or wanted too much $. I liked Max Garcia, and I think he earned his starting job, but it's night and day difference between him and Mathis.

Either way, it may possibly be that they are not done adding talent to the OL yet. That would depend on who becomes available on the market.

This is huge though. They got an All-pro talent. This is a one-year rental though. Mathis wants more than $6 million a year. That's why he talked his way off the Eagles:

That's Chip Kelly for you. Arrogant twit all the way. I think he's the next Josh McDaniels, and will last about as long - i.e. 2 disastrous seasons and then he can go back to college.

Well he may have wanted $6 mill but market was dried up. Eagles have a legit shot at winning their conferense. I think they are tempted on the rise. I am high on Garcia but I think he can play G/C as well. This will be good for our LT and c to have these vet G next to them.

Magnificent Seven
08-25-2015, 06:51 PM
F*** yeah!

VonDoom
08-25-2015, 06:51 PM
Well he may have wanted $6 mill but market was dried up. Eagles have a legit shot at winning their conferense. I think they are tempted on the rise. I am high on Garcia but I think he can play G/C as well. This will be good for our LT and c to have these vet G next to them.

He claims he turned down a 5.5 million offer from someone else to play here. A lot of teams were interested, including Seattle. To get him for a base of 2.5 million is a steal by Elway

Magnificent Seven
08-25-2015, 06:52 PM
I wish Ryan Clady could play with Mathis. That would be awesome!

NightTerror218
08-25-2015, 06:55 PM
He claims he turned down a 5.5 million offer from someone else to play here. A lot of teams were interested, including Seattle. To get him for a base of 2.5 million is a steal by Elway

One team offered 5.5 mil, probably Raiders. But a max of $4 mill might have been most. Seattle is really tight against the cap, they are having issues getting Kam back to work.

Traveler
08-25-2015, 07:00 PM
Just think if we could have kept Franklin and put him back to RT. DAMN!

TXBRONC
08-25-2015, 07:05 PM
I wonder if Mathis will play on Saturday.

VonDoom
08-25-2015, 07:14 PM
Just think if we could have kept Franklin and put him back to RT. DAMN!

We wouldn't have had any money left if we had re-signed Franklin. I like the way you think, though

I wonder if Mathis will play on Saturday.

Just a guess, but I'd doubt it. He hasn't been practicing with anyone, let alone us. I'd give him the week to get acclimated

Dzone
08-25-2015, 07:22 PM
So does Max Garcia move to center or do we stay with Paradis?

TXBRONC
08-25-2015, 07:23 PM
We wouldn't have had any money left if we had re-signed Franklin. I like the way you think, though

Just a guess, but I'd doubt it. He hasn't been practicing with anyone, let alone us. I'd give him the week to get acclimated

That is what I was thinking as well.

VonDoom
08-25-2015, 07:31 PM

Paradis has been doing well. Garcia will be the super sub for all interior positions

TXBRONC
08-25-2015, 07:38 PM

I doubt it.

G_Money
08-25-2015, 08:15 PM
Wow. That was unexpected. GREAT for the interior. Max will have great mentors to learn from and was already looking good - but upgrading to an All-Pro is a nice way to go if you can do it.

I wanted one of those on the outside instead of the shaky bookends we have, but you upgrade with what's available. We can have TE and FB help with outside rushers. This gives us flexibility in the run game that should be most helpful, and what should be superior protection inside as well - always helpful when Manning likes to step up in the pocket.

Thanks John. :salute:

Denver Native (Carol)
08-25-2015, 08:43 PM
ENGLEWOOD, Colo. -- As the Denver Broncos went about their business in practice Tuesday, the team's executive vice president of football operations/general manager, John Elway, had a cellphone pressed tightly against his right ear.

And roughly two hours after the practice was over, the Broncos agreed to terms with guard Evan Mathis on a one-year deal. Mathis, a two-time Pro Bowl selection, will receive a $2.5 million base salary with the ability to earn up to $4 million if he hits all of the play-time incentives, sources told ESPN.

The $1.5 million worth of incentives will include percentage of offensive snaps played as well as amounts for each week Mathis is on the active game-day roster, according to multiple sources.

rest, plus video - http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/13511856/denver-broncos-lineman-evan-mathis-agree-one-year-deal

ShaneFalco
08-25-2015, 08:46 PM
nice

tomjonesrocks
08-25-2015, 08:56 PM
Elway was more patient than I would have been. Interesting as the line has looked almost shockingly good considering.

TXBRONC
08-25-2015, 09:01 PM
Elway was more patient than I would have been. Interesting as the line has looked almost shockingly good considering.

Californians are such a mess. :wave:

Simple Jaded
08-25-2015, 09:09 PM
Boner time!

Just like that the OL looks much, much better. While the preseason 2-deep only gets slightly better the regular season active roster now has a competent fill-in at both G positions in one player who also has experience at C, and Chris Clark at swing T.

They'll probably keep Shelley Smith because of signing bonus reasons, yay, but at least he starting has experience. Experience at sucking but experience nonetheless.

Garland might have some PS left but Andre Davis is exactly what Denver looks for in OL, he did more cut blocking than any OL I can remember in this draft. They'll keep Garland if they can tho.

(Knock on wood) please let these guys stay healthy.

Simple Jaded
08-25-2015, 09:16 PM

They're saying he's getting his ass handed to him in camp/practice, I have heard that, but it's against Von Miller.

BroncoWave
08-25-2015, 09:21 PM
And the 4 million he could earn with this deal is exactly what we saved on Manning's paycut. Took a while for that move to pay off but here we are. Long live Elway!

Slick
08-25-2015, 09:24 PM
Bump the old Mathis thread so I can make fun of the guys who said this signing would never happen.

BroncoWave
08-25-2015, 09:27 PM
Bump the old Mathis thread so I can make fun of the guys who said this signing would never happen.

Done. :D

Simple Jaded
08-25-2015, 09:28 PM
Mita, trade Gradkowski, Dysert and Shelley Smith to the Stealers for a 12-pack and two large pizzas.

Slick
08-25-2015, 09:35 PM
Ziggy!

TXBRONC
08-25-2015, 09:37 PM
Boner time!

Just like that the OL looks much, much better. While the preseason 2-deep only gets slightly better the regular season active roster now has a competent fill-in at both G positions in one player who also has experience at C, and Chris Clark at swing T.

They'll probably keep Shelley Smith because of signing bonus reasons, yay, but at least he starting has experience. Experience at sucking but experience nonetheless.

Garland might have some PS left but Andre Davis is exactly what Denver looks for in OL, he did more cut blocking than any OL I can remember in this draft. They'll keep Garland if they can tho.

(Knock on wood) please let these guys stay healthy.

I'm standing anywhere near you right now.

Cugel
08-25-2015, 10:08 PM
This signing is really huge because what was wrong with the rookies was never a lack of talent. It was youth and inexperience. Ideally, you would let them sit behind veterans for the first part of the season, and then slowly work them into the rotation over the course of the season.

It's particularly hard for rookie Linemen, because they're used to the college season, which is over around Thanksgiving. That's after 11 games. If they played for a good school then they have a month off, and play in a bowl game.

But, in the NFL 11 games is just getting started! The most important part of the season is in December when teams are making their playoff run. They have FIVE more games at that point, just to get to the playoffs. Then up to 4 more if they played in the SB.

The rookies take a year or two just to get their bodies acclimated to that kind of long season. You see it every year. Rookies do well in the early part of the season, and then really start to drop off in their performance later in the year, because their bodies just aren't used to playing in December and January every week.

tripp
08-25-2015, 10:51 PM
Love, love, love, love this. I thought Jays beating the Rangers in the 9th was the highlight of my day, this just broke it. Signing him to a 1 year deal is a win for both parties.

Al Wilson 4 Mayor
08-25-2015, 11:12 PM
http://community.us.playstation.com/t5/image/serverpage/image-id/257423i450CA8BFA1A9D844/image-size/original?v=mpbl-1&px=-1
Way to bring it Timmy.

Fist bump homey.

Al Wilson 4 Mayor
08-25-2015, 11:14 PM
They're saying he's getting his ass handed to him in camp/practice, I have heard that, but it's against Von Miller.

Who doesn't Miller do that to? He's the most dynamic edge rusher in the game.

Timmy!
08-26-2015, 12:43 AM
Way to bring it Timmy.

Fist bump homey.

I've been doing this for 8 years. #whatego #stupidhashtags

Al Wilson 4 Mayor
08-26-2015, 01:47 AM
I've been doing this for 8 years. #whatego #stupidhashtags

Indeed, further reason for homage.

Ziggy
08-26-2015, 02:33 AM

Ziggy!

I'll happily admit I was wrong on this one and that you were right Slick. Here's my quote from the old Mathis thread.

Garland was just switched to Oline last year. It was a brand new position, but he showed them enough to keep him on the roster. Not just the practice squad, but the final 53. They see something special in him. I don't know if it's Chris Harris special, but there is something there. Smith is just a vet that knows the system. I don't see anything special in him either.

I'm not saying that Garland is sure to be a superstar. I'm just saying that the coaches love him and the possibility is there. I won't be upset by any means if we were to sign Mathis. I'm just not expecting them to.

Garland looks like hot garbage in the preseason. So does Smith and Grad. The entire interior line needed an upgrade. Now you have Garcia as a backup to all 3 spots. He's looked great, but how can you complain about bringing in an all pro guard during a super bowl run? I'm happy.

VonDoom
08-26-2015, 09:14 AM
Whoa, I guess the kicking competition is over:

Denver Broncos ‏@Broncos 2m2 minutes ago

#Broncos release K Connor Barth, making room for newly signed G Evan Mathis

Al Wilson 4 Mayor
08-26-2015, 09:15 AM
Whoa, I guess the kicking competition is over:

Denver Broncos ‏@Broncos 2m2 minutes ago

#Broncos release K Connor Barth, making room for newly signed G Evan Mathis

McMannus has looked good this year.

Valar Morghulis
08-26-2015, 09:36 AM
I am really really surprised by this.

I thought Barth was money up to 50 yds.

BroncoJoe
08-26-2015, 09:38 AM
I am really really surprised by this.

I thought Barth was money up to 50 yds.

We're going to score so much, they're more concerned with kickoffs! :D

pnbronco
08-26-2015, 09:46 AM
I kept wondering who would get cut to make room for Mathis... thanks for the info.

TXBRONC
08-26-2015, 10:05 AM
We're going to score so much, they're more concerned with kickoffs! :D

So we're going for two after every touchdown? :shocked: :D

TXBRONC
08-26-2015, 10:07 AM
I kept wondering who would get cut to make room for Mathis... thanks for the info.

Pola maybe you could knit Barth sweater? It would easy the pain of getting cut. :nod:

pnbronco
08-26-2015, 10:49 AM
Pola maybe you could knit Barth sweater? It would easy the pain of getting cut. :nod:

I'm a quilter.... and I don't make enough samples for my business these days...so sorry Barth....:lol:

BigDaddyBronco
08-26-2015, 11:49 AM
Good, I really felt our big problem was depth at the OLine. Someone will get hurt and at least we have Garcia to back up the interior of the line. Hopefully, we can get a tackle who can be a decent backup for both LT and RT. Chris Clark I'm looking at you!

Valar Morghulis
08-26-2015, 11:53 AM
I would start Clark at Left Tackle - of course i am basing this solely on the 2013 season - ignoring the super bowl - and only having saw some pre-season highlights - so it is highly likely i am talking out of my arse

BigDaddyBronco
08-26-2015, 11:56 AM
I would start Clark at Left Tackle - of course i am basing this solely on the 2013 season - ignoring the super bowl - and only having saw some pre-season highlights - so it is highly likely i am talking out of my arse

He looked soooo bad at RT last year. I don't know what happened. If he could play like he did in 2013, then he would be good insurance for either side for injury or bad play.

Valar Morghulis
08-26-2015, 11:58 AM
He looked soooo bad at RT last year. I don't know what happened. If he could play like he did in 2013, then he would be good insurance for either side for injury or bad play.

I am just putting that down to his tiny brain not being able to work out things were happening on the wrong side, lol. It seemed to make so much sense moving him to RT last year and he just sucked pure arseholes

BigDaddyBronco
08-26-2015, 12:01 PM
I am just putting that down to his tiny brain not being able to work out things were happening on the wrong side, lol. It seemed to make so much sense moving him to RT last year and he just sucked pure arseholes

Sucked pure arseholes about sums it up.

TXBRONC
08-26-2015, 12:42 PM

He was very good in pass protection but he was subpar in run blocking. Maybe a zbs will be a better fit for him but as right now he's hasn't gotten a lot of playing time.

Denver Native (Carol)
08-26-2015, 01:21 PM
The $4 million pay cut and the collateral damage it did to quarterback Peyton Manning's ego finally makes sense. Maybe John Elway isn't such a cold-hearted NFL executive after all.

It took nearly six months, but Elway properly repaid his Hall of Fame quarterback for giving back $4 million in salary with the blockbuster signing on Tuesday of free-agent Evan Mathis, selected for the Pro Bowl at offensive guard in 2013 and 2014 as a member of the Philadelphia Eagles.

At 33 years old, Mathis brings the experience and skill a raw Denver offensive line desperately needed. He figures to become the team's starter at left guard approximately 1.2 seconds after being issued a Broncos helmet.

Team Mathis on the interior of the line with Louis Vasquez at right guard, and Manning has more than peace of mind every time he drops back to pass. The Broncos now also have the blockers to put some seriously mean and nasty in the run-heavy attack of new coach Gary Kubiak.

rest - http://www.denverpost.com/kiszla/ci_28702852/john-elway-repays-peyton-manning-by-signing-evan

Denver Native (Carol)
08-26-2015, 03:19 PM
Mathis on joining Broncos, blocking for Manning
Broncos TV caught up with All-Pro guard Evan Mathis right after he officially became a Denver Bronco.

http://www.denverbroncos.com/multimedia/videos/Mathis-on-joining-Broncos-blocking-for-Manning/cdb48538-27e5-4d28-9f41-a80a4271d408

VonDoom
08-26-2015, 03:45 PM
Mathis seems to be a fun Twitter follow, based on his response to trolls over the last couple of days:

http://www.milehighreport.com/2015/8/26/9211137/evan-mathis-says-he-owns-three-bugattis-trolls-nagging-fans-on-twitter

chazoe60
08-26-2015, 04:24 PM
Mathis seems to be a fun Twitter follow, based on his response to trolls over the last couple of days:

http://www.milehighreport.com/2015/8/26/9211137/evan-mathis-says-he-owns-three-bugattis-trolls-nagging-fans-on-twitter

I think I like this guy.

tomjonesrocks
08-26-2015, 04:53 PM
Might have been said already, but best Guard in football by PFFs numbers...

SR
08-26-2015, 04:53 PM

Pretty funny

Ravage!!!
08-26-2015, 05:29 PM
This guys should be hired by man professional players in how to handle the trolls. These were awesome responses.

TXBRONC
08-26-2015, 08:28 PM
He handled himself very well with trolls.

VonDoom
08-26-2015, 09:17 PM
Might have been said already, but best Guard in football by PFFs numbers...

Yeah, I think he ranked first among guards in 11, 12 and 13. He was second last year but he had missed some time. Hopefully he picks up where he left off

BroncoWave
08-26-2015, 09:33 PM
:lol: Best response was to the "how does that $2.5 taste?"

"I haven't considered eating it."

FanInAZ
08-26-2015, 09:38 PM
I'm a quilter.... and I don't make enough samples for my business these days...so sorry Barth....:lol:

So is my mom, maybe you can start a thread to show pics of your works & I get some pics of my mom's.

Al Wilson 4 Mayor
08-26-2015, 10:38 PM
ThIs dude is funny.

"Let's shift the focus to your financial situation. "

:laugh:

ShaneFalco
08-26-2015, 10:49 PM
so i guess shelley smith was not enough?

TXBRONC
08-27-2015, 06:58 AM
ThIs dude is funny.

"Let's shift the focus to your financial situation. "

:laugh:

Yeah that was a good line.

Denver Native (Carol)
08-27-2015, 09:16 PM
Dennison on Mathis addition
Offensive coordinator Rick Dennison talks to the press after Thursday's practice.

http://www.denverbroncos.com/multimedia/videos/Dennison-on-Mathis-addition/b1d77404-180c-4ede-8769-aa964d6d2410

Denver Native (Carol)
08-28-2015, 11:19 AM
KUSA- Whatever joy there may have been inside the Denver Broncos’ locker room for the signing of Evan Mathis, it was tempered by the realization Max Garcia had lost his starting job.

“Don’t feel sorry for me,” said Garcia, whose days as the Broncos’ No. 1 left guard are numbered until Mathis gets in shape. “I’m happy to be a part of this team. I’m content with the situation. I’m just going to keep striving to get better.”

That type of maturity explains why Garcia almost pulled off the upset and became the starting left guard even though he is a rookie who wasn’t drafted until the fourth round.

rest - http://www.9news.com/story/sports/nfl/denver-broncos/mike-klis/2015/08/28/max-garcia-evan-mathis-denver-broncos/71283226/

Ravage!!!
08-28-2015, 11:25 AM
Glad to see he's having thi kind of attitude as we will most likely need him at some point of the season.

pulse
08-28-2015, 11:38 AM
I was just wishful thinking a few weeks ago and Elway goes and pull this off. I still can't believe Denver landed Mathis.

TXBRONC
08-28-2015, 11:54 AM
rest - http://www.9news.com/story/sports/nfl/denver-broncos/mike-klis/2015/08/28/max-garcia-evan-mathis-denver-broncos/71283226/

Good that sounds like guy who realizes he will eventually start.

VonDoom
08-28-2015, 01:41 PM
Mathis should easily reach the max $4 million value of his contract if he stays healthy:

This isn't one of those difficult-to-earn incentive packages as is the case with Broncos quarterback Peyton Manning. In addition to the $2.5 million Mathis received in signing bonus and salary, he will make $46,875 for each game he is on the Broncos' game-day, 46-player roster.

So if Mathis dresses for all 16 regular season games, he'll make an additional $750,000. He'll also make an additional $187,500 each time he crosses the playing time threshold of 55 percent of the team's offensive snaps, 65 percent, 75 percent and 85 percent.

So Mathis would make another $750,000 if he lines up for 85 percent of the snaps. If he starts 16 games and Broncos head coach Gary Kubiak has already proclaimed him the starter -- he's there.

http://www.9news.com/story/sports/nfl/denver-broncos/mike-klis/2015/08/28/evan-mathis-denver-broncos/71282248/

Denver Native (Carol)
08-28-2015, 04:10 PM
The move wasn't personal. Max Garcia knows it and general manager John Elway confirmed it.

The Broncos' signing of Pro Bowl guard Evan Mathis this week was a coup. Rare is it that a player of Mathis' caliber is available on the open market for so long and this late into the preseason.

But his arrival pushed Garcia, the Broncos' fourth-round pick, out of a starting job.

"We were able to work out a deal that was beneficial for him and also beneficial for us," Elway said Thursday. "We're just very young, and so I think we need a little bit of experience, especially on that left side."

rest - http://www.denverpost.com/broncos/ci_28719866/broncos-rookie-guard-max-garcia-all-business-after

TXBRONC
08-28-2015, 09:07 PM
Mathis should easily reach the max $4 million value of his contract if he stays healthy:

http://www.9news.com/story/sports/nfl/denver-broncos/mike-klis/2015/08/28/evan-mathis-denver-broncos/71282248/

I think young guys were all doing well and they are only get better with time but adding a veteran pro bowler to the left side is still the best move Denver could make. Garcia is going to get his chance eventually and when he does I bet he'll be very good.