PDA

View Full Version : As Ronnie Hillman flourishes, he focuses on the job in front of him

Denver Native (Carol)
08-24-2015, 05:46 PM
ENGLEWOOD, Colo. -- Ronnie Hillman is still listed as the No. 3 running back on the depth chart issued by the Broncos in their weekly press release Monday.

But he was the second running back up against Houston on Saturday. And after slashing through blocks and around the edges of the Texans' defense for 54 yards on just eight first-half carries, he is second to none in the league in rushing yardage so far this preseason, with 120 yards on 16 carries.

Yeah, yeah, it's just preseason. The Broncos know that. Hillman, in his fourth year, knows that. Last year's preseason rushing leader, Baltimore's Lorenzo Taliaferro, gained just 292 yards in limited duty in the regular season. No one's breaking out the streamers and balloons to herald Hillman's arrival.

rest - plus videos - http://www.denverbroncos.com/news-and-blogs/article-1/As-Ronnie-Hillman-flourishes-he-focuses-on-the-job-in-front-of-him/368ffd6d-2466-4052-97e3-abee3082965b

Denver Native (Carol)
08-24-2015, 07:00 PM
ENGLEWOOD, Colo. -- For much of his time with the Denver Broncos, running back Ronnie Hillman has been a swirling combination of untapped potential, flashes of brilliance and migraine-inducing bouts of immaturity.

But the Broncos have now arrived at this moment, on the doorstep of Hillman’s fourth season with the team, hoping the proverbial light has gone on. Because in two games that don’t count in the standings, but might really count on Hillman's resume, Hillman simply has been one of the best players on the field.

In the Broncos' new run scheme, Hillman has rushed for a team-leading 120 yards on just 16 carries -- a robust 7.5 yards per carry average.

“I think just overall focus and just producing … is better than what I’ve done in the past,’’ Hillman said Monday.

rest - http://espn.go.com/blog/denver-broncos/post/_/id/14413/broncos-have-fingers-crossed-that-this-time-ronnie-hillman-has-arrived

TXBRONC
08-24-2015, 09:31 PM
There have been posters who have said Denver should kick Hillman to curb. They way he's preforming he isn't going anywhere.

BroncoWave
08-24-2015, 09:45 PM
There have been posters who have said Denver should kick Hillman to curb. They way he's preforming he isn't going anywhere.

Kinda bringing up some Knowshon Moreno deja-vu. Our fans give up on running backs way too quickly. Sometimes it takes players a few years to develop, which is ok.

TXBRONC
08-24-2015, 09:52 PM
Kinda bringing up some Knowshon Moreno deja-vu. Our fans give up on running backs way too quickly. Sometimes it takes players a few years to develop, which is ok.

After his first couple of years I grew very unimpressed with Moreno. Even so it would be silly for me say he didn't play well the offensive that Denver was running the last four years. Heck he would probably do very well in zbs but he still doesn't have second gear.

Anyway, Hillman looks like a great fit for this offense and I wouldn't be surprised if he ends up ahead of Ball.

NightTerror218
08-24-2015, 09:57 PM
After his first couple of years I grew very unimpressed with Moreno. It would be silly of me argue he didn't play well in the year and half that he played with Manning but he was replaceable. I think Hillman can be better than Moreno because he has gear that Moreno never had.

I have to say Moreno was probably my fav Bronco his last season. He played with a lot of passion. He had so.e nice gif matwrial, his army crawl out of a pile after gaining a first down was epic. I wish he would have hit that potential 3 yrs earlier.

SR
08-24-2015, 09:59 PM

Same people said the same thing during training camp last year. Then he played well until CJ emerged. Then it's "Hillman gots ta go!" again. Then he looks good again and we need to keep him.

SR
08-24-2015, 10:00 PM
I have to say Moreno was probably my fav Bronco his last season. He played with a lot of passion. He had so.e nice gif matwrial, his army crawl out of a pile after gaining a first down was epic. I wish he would have hit that potential 3 yrs earlier.

Hurdling Ed Reed...

BroncoWave
08-24-2015, 10:02 PM
Same people said the same thing during training camp last year. Then he played well until CJ emerged. Then it's "Hillman gots ta go!" again. Then he looks good again and we need to keep him.

I pretty much got called an idiot for noting last year that Hillman was looking really good throughout camp. A bunch of "let's see it during the regular season", which was then followed up by the same people with "OMG look at CJ and Juwan tearing up these 4th stringers!!!". People are confusing sometimes.

TXBRONC
08-24-2015, 10:11 PM
I pretty much got called an idiot for noting last year that Hillman was looking really good throughout camp. A bunch of "let's see it during the regular season", which was then followed up by the same people with "OMG look at CJ and Juwan tearing up these 4th stringers!!!". People are confusing sometimes.

I wanted to see more C.J. Anderson because I liked what I saw but at the same time it didn't mean Denver needed to get rid of Hillman. Like you said he was having a very good camp. Those who were saying "let's see it during the regular season" were shown by Hillman that he could do it unfortunately he got hurt.

nevcraw
08-24-2015, 10:20 PM
Moreno getting hurt was a big blow to our SB chances. he turned into a hell of back after a bust start (when you are drafted that early you have to play well almost from the get go). I was happy to see him turn it around but sucks injuries cut his football life too soon.

Dapper Dan
08-25-2015, 01:57 AM
I try to keep in mind that he's still pretty young. He only turns 24 next month. He's actually younger than Ball and Anderson.

VonDoom
08-25-2015, 06:30 AM
Post has an article that says Hillman has moved up to number two on the depth chart (I mentioned this in the game day thread):

Anderson embraced the challenge of keeping his spot. But Hillman, whose left foot finally healed in April, has answered with his best summer, supplanting the slumping Ball, who also is being pushed by Juwan Thompson.

"(Hillman) has had a really good camp. He's the guy in the group that is a little bit different — (he has) the gear to get the ball to the edge," Kubiak said. "He's responded. He deserves more reps."

The rest: http://www.denverpost.com/broncos/ci_28695893/ronnie-hillman-fits-broncos-offense-moves-up-no

Northman
08-25-2015, 06:44 AM

Yea, i kind of learned my lesson after Knowshon. Sometimes it just takes a moment for a player to get it together. If anything, the fact that Hillman is improving should keep CJ motivated to keep his spot.

Northman
08-25-2015, 06:47 AM
Hurdling Ed Reed...

I was at that game!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nw1MGiL0dk0

NightTerror218
08-25-2015, 06:52 PM
CJ has to hope his style of play works well with zone blocking. I have seen some good runs but Hillman is making the most out of the new system.

TXBRONC
08-25-2015, 06:56 PM
CJ has to hope his style of play works well with zone blocking. I have seen some good runs but Hillman is making the most out of the new system.

From what I've seen Anderson should be fine.

NightTerror218
08-25-2015, 08:45 PM
From what I've seen Anderson should be fine.

Limited, since he was banged up preseason game 1 and limited snaps game 2. I hope he has a great season.

TXBRONC
08-25-2015, 09:09 PM
Limited, since he was banged up preseason game 1 and limited snaps game 2. I hope he has a great season.

He wasn't all that banged they just decided to keep him. Ray got rolled up against on and Wade put him back out there. I know he's not a starter but still suppose be big part of the Broncos pass rush.

Al Wilson 4 Mayor
08-26-2015, 02:30 AM
CJ is just fine.

Dapper Dan
08-27-2015, 12:25 AM
I'm just now getting around to watching the Houston game. Ronnie Hillman looks fast out there.

HORSEPOWER 56
08-27-2015, 01:23 AM
Hillman's problem has never really been about his running ability. The #1 problem about Hillman has always been ball security. If he can clean that up, he'll be a valuable asset in our offense.

MOtorboat
08-27-2015, 01:41 AM
Hillman's problem has never really been about his running ability. The #1 problem about Hillman has always been ball security. If he can clean that up, he'll be a valuable asset in our offense.

To be fair, he hasn't had a lost fumble since Oct. 20, 2013.

Dapper Dan
08-27-2015, 02:12 AM
To be fair, he hasn't had a lost fumble since Oct. 20, 2013.

#neverforget

TXBRONC
08-27-2015, 06:53 AM
He's lost a total of two fumbles in his first three seasons. I don't think ball security has been a major issue with him.

VonDoom
08-27-2015, 08:47 AM
He's lost a total of two fumbles in his first three seasons. I don't think ball security has been a major issue with him.

I always thought pass protection and blocking is what was holding him back. He seems to be working on those things this year.

TXBRONC
08-27-2015, 10:00 AM
I always thought pass protection and blocking is what was holding him back. He seems to be working on those things this year.

Correct the knock on him was that pass protection was his weakness and not being able to finish runs.

G_Money
08-27-2015, 10:15 AM
CJ doesn't have anything to worry about, as long as he stays healthy, but Hillman is definitely making a case for getting a lot of reps. Ball may be relegated to a few hundred yards if the first two guys keep this up and can stay on the field, but we'll see. Couple games left in the preseason, and a bunch more in the regular season and playoffs. As long as every back that steps on the field runs his ass off for lots of positive yardage, I'm good.

tomjonesrocks
08-27-2015, 11:27 AM
I'd have honestly rather cut Ball and kept Barth. Ball might still be on the bubble but I'd rather have a money short range kicker than a dead-weight, no-speed, no-power bust of a RB.

underrated29
08-27-2015, 11:41 AM
I'd have honestly rather cut Ball and kept Barth. Ball might still be on the bubble but I'd rather have a money short range kicker than a dead-weight, no-speed, no-power bust of a RB.

Up to this pre-season that was pretty much the definition of Ronnie Hillman too.

Valar Morghulis
08-27-2015, 12:11 PM
Up to this pre-season that was pretty much the definition of Ronnie Hillman too.

nice!

VonDoom
08-27-2015, 12:22 PM

That comparison doesn't really work, though. If Ball is cut, we'd still likely keep four RB (Bibbs being the fourth, I imagine). We were only keeping one kicker on this team either way.

TXBRONC
08-27-2015, 12:46 PM

I don't think any team that wants to keep three kickers. People wanted to run Hillman out last year and said he was bust. I would rather have an extra back around than an extra kicker.

NightTerror218
08-27-2015, 12:53 PM

Wow you just don't give guys a chance do you

NightTerror218
08-27-2015, 12:54 PM

And Moreno before that and McGehee before that with previous team.

BroncoWave
08-27-2015, 12:56 PM
Wow you just don't give guys a chance do you

I'm so glad some people on this board don't run the team. We'd get rid of every single player who wasn't just a total stud in their first year or two.

VonDoom
08-27-2015, 02:17 PM
I'm so glad some people on this board don't run the team. We'd get rid of every single player who wasn't just a total stud in their first year or two.

People seem especially hard on running backs. I have no idea whether Ball will be good, but you'd think we would have learned from Moreno, Hillman, etc

TXBRONC
08-27-2015, 02:52 PM
People seem especially hard on running backs. I have no idea whether Ball will be good, but you'd think we would have learned from Moreno, Hillman, etc

It seems to be that way with every position.