PDA

View Full Version : Broncos will take a long look at their short-yardage work on offense

Denver Native (Carol)
08-23-2015, 03:44 PM
ENGLEWOOD, Colo. -- The Denver Broncos' offense has certainly had its moments in the preseason sun in the team’s first two August outings, but there is no question the group has let the opportunity to run a pile of additional plays slip away because of some short-yardage stumbles.

Or as coach Gary Kubiak put it following the Broncos’ 14-10 win in Houston Saturday night: “I’m pleased with a lot of things that we are doing, but I’m very disappointed with what we’re doing right now short yardage-wise.’’

And as the Broncos gather this week for joint practices with the San Francisco 49ers, it is a topic that will both deserve, and receive, plenty of attention.

rest - http://espn.go.com/blog/denver-broncos/post/_/id/14389/broncos-will-take-a-long-look-at-their-short-yardage-work-on-offense

Davii
08-23-2015, 05:02 PM
It definitely needs some attention. That 3rd and 2 followed by the pass on 4th and inches both left me a little peeved yesterday.

TXBRONC
08-23-2015, 05:09 PM
It definitely needs some attention. That 3rd and 2 followed by the pass on 4th and inches both left me a little peeved yesterday.

Whew good thing you weren't p.o.

My hope they just need a little more time together.

spikerman
08-23-2015, 05:10 PM
It was a continual problem toward the end of the Shanahan era. I'm glad to see that it's being prioritized.

TXBRONC
08-23-2015, 05:15 PM
It was a continual problem toward the end of the Shanahan era. I'm glad to see that it's being prioritized.

I think the biggest problem with Shanahan's team was the line was way to small that shouldn't be the case with this line. I don't think there a man under 300lbs on the starting offensive line.

Jsteve01
08-23-2015, 07:21 PM

I think the biggest problem with Shanahan's team was the line was way to small that shouldn't be the case with this line. I don't think there a man under 300lbs on the starting offensive line. not just size though. Three rookies, one of whom is an undrafted 2nd year player an oft injured journeyman teaming with our sole sure thing in Vasquez. These guys may be worse than any line Shanny ever fielded. Dallas wrote the book on how to drastically improve your team in the early 90s and wrote the second edition over the last few years. Journeymen and udfa dont have a chapter in any of these books.

Im a confirmed koolaid drinker but if you think we looked bad in the super bowl just wait. What can we do you ask? Sign Evan Mathis and slide Garcia to center

VonDoom
08-23-2015, 08:52 PM

Yeah, that was rough. Then they couldn't pick up the third down on the next possession and just punted it instead. They had no confidence they could get those few inches after it had blown up on the previous drive.

NightTerror218
08-23-2015, 10:34 PM
Yeah, that was rough. Then they couldn't pick up the third down on the next possession and just punted it instead. They had no confidence they could get those few inches after it had blown up on the previous drive.

Which string offense was is? And if defense loads up the box against run, Manning will audible out of it for throw.

VonDoom
08-24-2015, 05:41 AM
Which string offense was is? And if defense loads up the box against run, Manning will audible out of it for throw.

I think it was the second string because Os was out there. Things might have been different with Manning- I just didn't like the 4th down and inches pass call.

TXBRONC
08-24-2015, 07:15 AM
I think it was the second string because Os was out there. Things might have been different with Manning- I just didn't like the 4th down and inches pass call.

If this were the regular season that's probably called differently.

NightTerror218
08-24-2015, 01:08 PM

It's preseason, QBS and coaches take chances so they can get every scenario on film to study.

underrated29
08-24-2015, 01:11 PM
not just size though. Three rookies, one of whom is an undrafted 2nd year player an oft injured journeyman teaming with our sole sure thing in Vasquez. These guys may be worse than any line Shanny ever fielded. Dallas wrote the book on how to drastically improve your team in the early 90s and wrote the second edition over the last few years. Journeymen and udfa dont have a chapter in any of these books.

Im a confirmed koolaid drinker but if you think we looked bad in the super bowl just wait. What can we do you ask? Sign Evan Mathis and slide Garcia to center

If we sign Mathis then Garcia is the one getting benched. Not paradis.

Valar Morghulis
08-24-2015, 05:44 PM
If we sign Mathis then Garcia is the one getting benched. Not paradis.

Was Garcia not a C in college

Jsteve01
08-24-2015, 06:15 PM
Was Garcia not a C in college yeah he was. Lots of speculation there UR

underrated29
08-24-2015, 08:47 PM
He was. He also got a few looks there too in tc this year. What mad max did was beat out Shelly and garland for lg, he did not beat out paradis city or gradkowski.

I said last year that I thought paradis was good and he should be the guy. I don't think mad max is a better C, which is why if we were to sign Mathis, I doubt max would be the one playing.

TXBRONC
08-24-2015, 09:21 PM
not just size though. Three rookies, one of whom is an undrafted 2nd year player an oft injured journeyman teaming with our sole sure thing in Vasquez. These guys may be worse than any line Shanny ever fielded. Dallas wrote the book on how to drastically improve your team in the early 90s and wrote the second edition over the last few years. Journeymen and udfa dont have a chapter in any of these books.

The Super Bowl is a long ways away so how well this line will preform by years end isn't something speculate one way or other. I don't thinks it's fair to say that is line is worse than any line Shanahan ever fielded. Good grief Steve these guys have been playing together for what five weeks? As far as Mathis is concerned if Denver were interested in signing him they would have more than likely done it by now.

Simple Jaded
08-25-2015, 09:25 AM
Hopefully these guys are better equipped for short yardage and goal line situations than the 2000's OL when they had 280lb C's at G and 285lb TE's at T. They don't have to be Orlando Franklin but the Broncos seemingly put almost zero priority in these situations (as usual) with the newcomers.

This is the part of the Broncos ZBS that I have grown to despise, it's the epitome of finesse.

Al Wilson 4 Mayor
08-25-2015, 09:44 AM
Paradis has looked really good thus far. I think his job is secure. I've focused on him a lot and he seems to execute his assignment well and excels at getting down field in the ZBS.

TXBRONC
08-25-2015, 10:59 AM
Hopefully these guys are better equipped for short yardage and goal line situations than the 2000's OL when they had 280lb C's at G and 285lb TE's at T. They don't have to be Orlando Franklin but the Broncos seemingly put almost zero priority in these situations (as usual) with the newcomers.

This is the part of the Broncos ZBS that I have grown to despise, it's the epitome of finesse.

Every guy they have the starting offensive line is over 300 lbs. A zbs doesn't mean you have to have guys under 300 lbs to make it work.

VonDoom
08-25-2015, 11:20 AM
Paradis has looked really good thus far. I think his job is secure. I've focused on him a lot and he seems to execute his assignment well and excels at getting down field in the ZBS.

Rand Getlin ‏@Rand_Getlin 31m31 minutes ago

Just the preseason, but #Broncos center Matt Paradis is ranked 3rd at his position, per @PFF. New starter. Good sign for the Manning and co.

TXBRONC
08-25-2015, 11:45 AM
Rand Getlin ‏@Rand_Getlin 31m31 minutes ago

Just the preseason, but #Broncos center Matt Paradis is ranked 3rd at his position, per @PFF. New starter. Good sign for the Manning and co.

All you have to do is watch both of those games to notice that.

Jsteve01
08-25-2015, 06:05 PM
I feel a lot better about this unit now but it still means that we will have two guys starting who never have. Sounds a lot better with an All Pro between them though

TXBRONC
08-25-2015, 06:09 PM
I feel a lot better about this unit now but it still means that we will have two guys starting who never have. Sounds a lot better with an All Pro between them though

Having Paradis flanked by two all pro guards is comforting.

VonDoom
08-25-2015, 06:24 PM
Having Paradis flanked by two all pro guards is comforting.

If Paradis continues to play well, the interior of that line looks very promising

NightTerror218
08-25-2015, 06:57 PM
If Paradis continues to play well, the interior of that line looks very promising

I want to see what type of push they can make.

TXBRONC
08-25-2015, 06:59 PM

I agree.