PDA

View Full Version : John Clayton believes Denver defense will be sensational this year.

Northman
08-21-2015, 04:34 PM
http://www.denverbroncos.com/multimedia/videos/National-perspective-John-Clayton/1277b4d6-791b-44fa-a55e-49a4a4fa262d

Video in link.

TXBRONC
08-21-2015, 04:44 PM
He's impressed with speed of the defense and so am I.

Davii
08-21-2015, 06:19 PM
I agree with him. I think this D is going to be great.

silkamilkamonico
08-21-2015, 07:20 PM
We would have been sensational the last couple years if we had a DC that schemed to the strengths of our defense.

"We have all this speed and playmaking ability, so let's put Von Miller back in coverage every other play and leave Aquib Talib 12 yards off the LOS every play."

F'n idiot.

TXBRONC
08-21-2015, 09:34 PM
We would have been sensational the last couple years if we had a DC that schemed to the strengths of our defense.

"We have all this speed and playmaking ability, so let's put Von Miller back in coverage every other play and leave Aquib Talib 12 yards off the LOS every play."

F'n idiot.

Well there will still be times when he's in coverage because he is linebacker.

silkamilkamonico
08-22-2015, 11:17 AM
Well there will still be times when he's in coverage because he is linebacker.

I'm sorry, but not every couple of plays or so. You have an entire defensive group that consists of players that want to attack and go and make plays and dictate what's going, but instead you go with a 4 base rush and drop back coverage as your main defensive scheme and very rarely detour from that. The coaching "strategy" that was implemented the last couple years on defense and the one with our offense last half of last year, I'm sorry but those coaches failed those players. On both sides of the ball.

TXBRONC
08-22-2015, 12:33 PM
I'm sorry, but not every couple of plays or so. You have an entire defensive group that consists of players that want to attack and go and make plays and dictate what's going, but instead you go with a 4 base rush and drop back coverage as your main defensive scheme and very rarely detour from that. The coaching "strategy" that was implemented the last couple years on defense and the one with our offense last half of last year, I'm sorry but those coaches failed those players. On both sides of the ball.

I'm not suggesting it will be every couple of plays. I'm just saying he will on occasion end up in coverage.

Cugel
08-22-2015, 01:08 PM
I've been saying this for months, and I'm glad to hear ESPN expert John Clayton, who's been been covering NFL Football since 1976:

Clayton: "I wanted to see where Peyton is and where the defense is. I think those are the two main things. Because, I think you can see that Peyton's throwing really well. Probably as good as he has in the last 2-3 years. That's encouraging. And it's also encouraging that he's getting the proper rest, that he's not over-doing it. And that may be the biggest struggle to prevent him from doing more throws, because that's got to be negotiated every day, because he's going to want to do everything.

And then watching the speed of the defense, because this defense looks like it's going to be sensational because of how much speed and how many things they can do.

Q: Is this rest the most important thing? The personification of those two things coming together, Coach Kubiak and Peyton? The payoff is January, right?

Clayton: That's it. Because you can see the team's good enough. It's going to make the playoffs. They're the favorite to win the division. The question is how that seeding goes, and whether they have the chance to be a 1st or 2nd seed, and they have the ability to do that, but [the point is] to do that AND to have Peyton as fresh as he can be going into the playoffs, I think that's going to be the critical part. It's not as if you're going to try and rest Peyton during a 16 games. He's playing and he's playing every snap. It's just trying to manage it so that he can have all the strength he can have going into the playoffs, to take those 2 or 3 Playoff wins and get back to the Super-Bowl."

That's the key. Have offensive balance so they don't over-rely on Peyton having to do everything, and make every throw perfectly. Because his tendency is to bear down harder and harder when things aren't going well. I vividly remember Elway trying to do the same thing back when he was losing those first 3 SBs. In the Redskins game I remember him coming out and he over-threw the first pass so hard it looked like it would gouge a furrow into the turf. He was trying too hard, because it all depended on him.

Needless to say the Broncos lost every time, until Shanahan came to town and they developed a system around Elway that took a lot of the pressure off the QB. Taking pressure off Peyton is the key. Letting him play within the system instead of being 100% of the show gives them a chance to win the SB.

silkamilkamonico
08-22-2015, 01:55 PM
I'm not suggesting it will be every couple of plays. I'm just saying he will on occasion end up in coverage.

I'm glad we can agree on the fact that these players have been let down by the coaches the last couple of years or so.

tripp
08-24-2015, 04:08 PM
Taking pressure off Peyton is the key. Letting him play within the system instead of being 100% of the show gives them a chance to win the SB.

This.

dogfish
08-24-2015, 04:50 PM
This.

yea. . . i was just about to quote that--definitely the most interesting part, IMO. . .

Shazam!
08-24-2015, 07:33 PM
...until Shanahan came to town and they developed a system around Elway that took a lot of the pressure off the QB. Taking pressure off Peyton is the key. Letting him play within the system instead of being 100% of the show gives them a chance to win the SB.

...Shanahan also already had tools in place for a great OLine. I hope this raw group can impress the hell out of us, because the last few years, this team ain't winning a Championship with that Line.

broncobuss
08-24-2015, 10:41 PM
"In the Redskins game I remember him coming out and he over-threw the first pass so hard it looked like it would gouge a furrow into the turf. He was trying too hard, because it all depended on him. "

The 1st pass of the game for Elway in the redskins superbowl was a bomb to Ricky nattiel for a touchdown.. just saying.. but I get Claytons point..