PDA

View Full Version : Broncos roster discussion / predictions

VonDoom
08-20-2015, 01:42 PM
It's about that time of year again. Any thoughts / guesses on how the 53 man roster shakes out? Here are my current thoughts (always subject to change):

QB (3) - Manning, Osweiler, Siemian - my guess is Siemian is too good to risk trying to get on the PS
RB (4) - Anderson, Ball, Hillman, Thompson - I'm iffy on the fourth guy, but I think Thompson's experience gets him there over Bibbs
WR (5) - Thomas, Sanders, Latimer, Fowler, Burse - Fowler HAS to make it after this TC, right? I'm going out on a limb and saying Caldwell doesn't make it here, but I wouldn't be shocked either way. I'm just guessing on Burse - could be Caldwell or another young guy or both if they keep six WR
TE/FB (4) - Daniels, Green, Casey, Duncan - one of my biggest question marks. There are really only two pure TE on this list, but I'm going to guess Casey can be used that way if necessary. Not sure on Duncan either, but I'd like to see him stick
OL (9) - Sambrailo, Clark, Harris, Schofield, Vasquez, Smith, Paradis, Gradkowski, Garcia - this leaves off Garland. I'm not sure about that either, but reports say he hasn't stood out.

DL (7) - Williams, Kilgo, Jackson, Wolfe, Anunike, Smith, Walker - Smith is a question mark with his legal situation. Not sure what's happening with Austin (recovering from injury, I believe). With Wolfe's suspension, they can use another spot for the first four weeks, right? That could be a spot for Fua
ILB (5) - Marshall, Trevathan, Davis, Johnson, Barrow - I wanted to ditch Barrow, but we might need more depth in a 3-4
OLB (4) - Miller, Ware, Ray, Barrett - this leaves off McCray, though he's a possibility. The first three are locks and Barrett has stood out in a big way
CB (5) - Harris, Talib, Roby, Webster, Carter - I'd love someone else to take Carter's spot but I haven't seen it yet
S (4) - Stewart, Ward, Bolden, Bruton

K (1) - McManus - just a guess, but it's going to be one or the other
P (1) - Colquitt
LS (1) - Brewer - closest thing to a lock on this list

So that's my early take. Anyone else?

Al Wilson 4 Mayor
08-20-2015, 02:17 PM
I'd be surprised if Austin didn't make it.

underrated29
08-20-2015, 02:29 PM
I think they stash Taylor, bibbs and Siemian on the PS.

I believe caldwell makes it.

Lorentee Mccray is our most experienced SLB aside from Von, he will make it for sure.

Id rather keep Garland than Shelly Smith....He looked so awful.

I dont think Starvin Marvin will make it and I am not sure Antonio will either, but because of Wolfes suspension we may go heavy by 1 on the DL til he is back.

VonDoom
08-20-2015, 02:52 PM

Lorentee Mccray is our most experienced SLB aside from Von, he will make it for sure.

I dont think Starvin Marvin will make it and I am not sure Antonio will either, but because of Wolfes suspension we may go heavy by 1 on the DL til he is back.

You think Siemian makes it through to the PS? If the Broncos think so, then yeah, that's what I would do. Carrying the 3rd QB is a burden if you don't need to.

I also would rather keep Garland over Smith - I just don't know if that's what they're thinking. These next few games will tell us a lot.

TXBRONC
08-20-2015, 03:19 PM
It's about that time of year again. Any thoughts / guesses on how the 53 man roster shakes out? Here are my current thoughts (always subject to change):

QB (3) - Manning, Osweiler, Siemian - my guess is Siemian is too good to risk trying to get on the PS
RB (4) - Anderson, Ball, Hillman, Thompson - I'm iffy on the fourth guy, but I think Thompson's experience gets him there over Bibbs
WR (5) - Thomas, Sanders, Latimer, Fowler, Burse - Fowler HAS to make it after this TC, right? I'm going out on a limb and saying Caldwell doesn't make it here, but I wouldn't be shocked either way. I'm just guessing on Burse - could be Caldwell or another young guy or both if they keep six WR
TE/FB (4) - Daniels, Green, Casey, Duncan - one of my biggest question marks. There are really only two pure TE on this list, but I'm going to guess Casey can be used that way if necessary. Not sure on Duncan either, but I'd like to see him stick
OL (9) - Sambrailo, Clark, Harris, Schofield, Vasquez, Smith, Paradis, Gradkowski, Garcia - this leaves off Garland. I'm not sure about that either, but reports say he hasn't stood out.

DL (7) - Williams, Kilgo, Jackson, Wolfe, Anunike, Smith, Walker - Smith is a question mark with his legal situation. Not sure what's happening with Austin (recovering from injury, I believe). With Wolfe's suspension, they can use another spot for the first four weeks, right? That could be a spot for Fua
ILB (5) - Marshall, Trevathan, Davis, Johnson, Barrow - I wanted to ditch Barrow, but we might need more depth in a 3-4
OLB (4) - Miller, Ware, Ray, Barrett - this leaves off McCray, though he's a possibility. The first three are locks and Barrett has stood out in a big way
CB (5) - Harris, Talib, Roby, Webster, Carter - I'd love someone else to take Carter's spot but I haven't seen it yet
S (4) - Stewart, Ward, Bolden, Bruton

K (1) - McManus - just a guess, but it's going to be one or the other
P (1) - Colquitt
LS (1) - Brewer - closest thing to a lock on this list

So that's my early take. Anyone else?

Your list looks pretty solid but a couple of changes I would are one Norwood over Burse. I don't think Burse got any playing time against the Seahawks Norwood preformed very well when he was in.

Doss or Marsh will probably beat out Carter which ever does the other will probably end up on the practice squad.

Maybe the Josh Watson beats out Antonio Smith. Other than that what you've seem pretty good.

TXBRONC
08-20-2015, 03:22 PM

If it comes down to Norwood or Caldwell I think Norwood beats him out.

VonDoom
08-20-2015, 03:26 PM
Your list looks pretty solid but a couple of changes I would are one Norwood over Burse. I don't think Burse got any playing time against the Seahawks Norwood preformed very well when he was in.

Doss or Marsh will probably beat out Carter which ever does the other will probably end up on the practice squad.

Maybe the Josh Watson beats out Antonio Smith. Other than that what you've seem pretty good.

Did Norwood muff that punt? I think Bolden will get most of the returns, but I put down Burse since he actually has some NFL experience doing the same. I could definitely see Norwood making it, though.

I'm not convinced Carter gets cut, though. They seem to like him as an experience #5.

Al Wilson 4 Mayor
08-20-2015, 03:34 PM
Why do you guys think Austin gets cut? That would leave us with 1 NT on the roster.

VonDoom
08-20-2015, 03:42 PM
Why do you guys think Austin gets cut? That would leave us with 1 NT on the roster.

Kilgo is NT also, so that's two. Plus Walker can play nose, I believe, maybe some of the other DE listed there.

I'm not convinced Austin gets cut - I just have a feeling. He's been recovering from injury for a while, he was buried on the depth chart going into last week's game ... I don't know, I just think they might move on. We've heard very little about him this TC.

TXBRONC
08-20-2015, 03:48 PM
Did Norwood muff that punt? I think Bolden will get most of the returns, but I put down Burse since he actually has some NFL experience doing the same. I could definitely see Norwood making it, though.

I'm not convinced Carter gets cut, though. They seem to like him as an experience #5.

There were two muffed punts iirc. The first one was muffed by Solomon but Denver recovered and the second one was by Norwood but he also had three catches in the game. True Burse has some NFL experience but he was terrible as our punt returner.

VonDoom
08-20-2015, 03:48 PM
Not five minutes after I write that, this appears. Guess that answers the question about Austin:

ENGLEWOOD, Colo. -- The Broncos were awarded TE Jake Murphy off waivers from Cincinnati on Thursday. To make room, they placed NT Marvin Austin Jr. on injured reserve.

Austin has missed nearly all of training camp because of a groin injury. With the emergence of sixth-round pick Darius Kilgo in his stead, Austin slipped to the fourth team while he dealt with his injury.

http://www.denverbroncos.com/news-and-blogs/article-1/Broncos-claim-TE-Jake-Murphy-off-waivers-place-Marvin-Austin-Jr-on-injured-reserve/661c0c93-7f18-4035-844e-23dcddb57bb0

Al Wilson 4 Mayor
08-20-2015, 04:09 PM
Kilgo is NT also, so that's two. Plus Walker can play nose, I believe, maybe some of the other DE listed there.

I'm not convinced Austin gets cut - I just have a feeling. He's been recovering from injury for a while, he was buried on the depth chart going into last week's game ... I don't know, I just think they might move on. We've heard very little about him this TC.

Do you think Kilgo is as effective as Marvin?

I, for one, do not want to see any of our DE's spend any time at NT, other then nickel and dime situations.

SR
08-20-2015, 04:16 PM
I think they stash Taylor, bibbs and Siemian on the PS. I believe caldwell makes it. Lorentee Mccray is our most experienced SLB aside from Von, he will make it for sure. Id rather keep Garland than Shelly Smith....He looked so awful. I dont think Starvin Marvin will make it and I am not sure Antonio will either, but because of Wolfes suspension we may go heavy by 1 on the DL til he is back.

You went from swinging on Bibbs's sack and being dead set on him making the team to stashing him on the practice squad? Glad to see your eyes opened.

VonDoom
08-20-2015, 04:19 PM
Do you think Kilgo is as effective as Marvin?

I, for one, do not want to see any of our DE's spend any time at NT, other then nickel and dime situations.

It's a moot point now, but I think they've been high on Kilgo. He was making the team whether Austin did or not

Al Wilson 4 Mayor
08-20-2015, 04:24 PM
It's a moot point now, but I think they've been high on Kilgo. He was making the team whether Austin did or not

I know he played well against the Seahawks, but that was hard to gage because he didn't play until the second half and Seattle had no depth on the interior.

BroncoWave
08-20-2015, 04:42 PM

Experience at what? Absolutely sucking? I really, really hope Doss can beat him out.

TXBRONC
08-20-2015, 05:17 PM
You went from swinging on Bibbs's sack and being dead set on him making the team to stashing him on the practice squad? Glad to see your eyes opened.

No one switches horses in the middle of a race better than Under does. :lol:

TXBRONC
08-20-2015, 05:20 PM

When Kilgo started catching the eye of the coaching staff I think Austin started moving to bubble status.

TXBRONC
08-20-2015, 05:26 PM
Experience at what? Absolutely sucking? I really, really hope Doss can beat him out.

I see Doss making the roster over Carter unless he gets hurt.

underrated29
08-20-2015, 05:42 PM

Oh dont get me wrong I still am, but I think its pretty obvious since neither he nor Taylor received any snaps that they are hoping to sneak him to the PS. He will probably get a few reps at the end of the games but I doubt its many. They want to stash him. Granted, ronnie ran like a freaking 3rd pick should run but I still feel Bibbs will be better than he is when the real hitting starts.

underrated29
08-20-2015, 05:45 PM
No one switches horses in the middle of a race better than Under does. :lol:

Who have I ever switched on? All of the guys I like I stick with til the end or until they suck......Remember a couple years ago when I really wanted us to sign Gerald Mccoy as a FA and you gave me all kinds of grief about him- now he is in a system that uses his skills and hes one of the better DTs out there? I stand by my stances always- until its obvious they suck and then I let them go.....or until they show they are good- like ronnie hillman seems to be doing.

NightTerror218
08-20-2015, 05:48 PM
Deep on depth chart will come down to ST, that is a weakness right now. I would not count anyone out if they can play ST well.

TXBRONC
08-20-2015, 06:29 PM
Who have I ever switched on? All of the guys I like I stick with til the end or until they suck......Remember a couple years ago when I really wanted us to sign Gerald Mccoy as a FA and you gave me all kinds of grief about him- now he is in a system that uses his skills and hes one of the better DTs out there? I stand by my stances always- until its obvious they suck and then I let them go.....or until they show they are good- like ronnie hillman seems to be doing.

Under I'm just giving you a hard time.

MOtorboat
08-20-2015, 06:50 PM
Marsh for CB.

:usa2:

Al Wilson 4 Mayor
08-20-2015, 09:06 PM
Marsh for CB.

Has he really played that well? I didn't get to watch the second half of the Seattle game.

TXBRONC
08-20-2015, 09:12 PM
Has he really played that well? I didn't get to watch the second half of the Seattle game.

I don't know if did a lot in the game but I think his name has been mentioned during a few time but for that matter I believe Doss' has been mentioned a time or two.

MOtorboat
08-20-2015, 09:28 PM

He broke up a couple of passes. I like what I saw. Of course, Tony Carter might look that good against third and fourth stringers, too. But from what I saw, I want Marsh.

gregbroncs
08-20-2015, 10:32 PM
Not five minutes after I write that, this appears. Guess that answers the question about Austin:

http://www.denverbroncos.com/news-and-blogs/article-1/Broncos-claim-TE-Jake-Murphy-off-waivers-place-Marvin-Austin-Jr-on-injured-reserve/661c0c93-7f18-4035-844e-23dcddb57bb0I am happy they got Jake Murphy. He was underused at Utah. As a Utah fan having QB's that could not hit crossing routes really hurt his stats in college. I think he's got potential as a TE in the NFL. I hope he sticks.

NightTerror218
08-20-2015, 11:24 PM
Marsh for CB.

I think Doss will make it instead, he was what a 4th round pick thus yr?

TXBRONC
08-21-2015, 08:36 AM
I think Doss will make it instead, he was what a 4th round pick thus yr?

He has a really good chance to make it.

Valar Morghulis
08-21-2015, 10:44 AM
I think we sign mister cobble

BroncoWave
08-21-2015, 10:51 AM
I think we sign mister cobble

I wish. Best player name ever.

Simple Jaded
08-22-2015, 08:19 PM
Trevor Siemian is the absolute epitome of a PS player, if he doesn't make it through waivers you don't need him.

silkamilkamonico
08-22-2015, 10:32 PM
Shaq Barrett needs to make this team or we lose him to waivers.

Montee Ball is ineffective and nothing special. Dude doesn't have a gear and he runs with no power. If this offense is supposed to fit him it sure doesn't look like it. He should be #4+ on the depth chart behind CJ, Hillman, Jwan and whoever else.

Al Wilson 4 Mayor
08-22-2015, 11:01 PM
Shaq Barrett needs to make this team or we lose him to waivers.

Montee Ball is ineffective and nothing special. Dude doesn't have a gear and he runs with no power. If this offense is supposed to fit him it sure doesn't look like it. He should be #4+ on the depth chart behind CJ, Hillman, Jwan and whoever else.
I haven't seen this game yet, but he looked really good last week.

tomjonesrocks
08-22-2015, 11:28 PM
I haven't seen this game yet, but he looked really good last week.

I don't disagree but he had a really stupid personal foul penalty and a few other not-so-greats this week.

But clearly he can get to the QB which should make him a no-brainier for the roster. I can't imagine him cut. He's been truly disruptive.

SR
08-22-2015, 11:28 PM
Shaq Barrett needs to make this team or we lose him to waivers. Montee Ball is ineffective and nothing special. Dude doesn't have a gear and he runs with no power. If this offense is supposed to fit him it sure doesn't look like it. He should be #4+ on the depth chart behind CJ, Hillman, Jwan and whoever else.

When the RB coach was talking to the backs Ball and Bibbs were always behind him half assed paying attention. CJ and Hillman were right there taking it in.

tomjonesrocks
08-22-2015, 11:32 PM
A prediction - I don't know how you can cut McManus. He got no tries tonight as Denver went for it on 4th but after practice heroics and his kickoffs in games - which are stunning - he'd be a very tough cut I think.

His kickoff late in the game tonight was ridiculous - bouncing around the goalposts at the back of the end zone with no wind - sheesh.

Al Wilson 4 Mayor
08-22-2015, 11:35 PM
Tom -

Knockoffs?

Auto-correct messing with ya?

tomjonesrocks
08-22-2015, 11:36 PM
Tom - Knockoffs? Auto-correct messing with ya?

Ha. Yes.

Al Wilson 4 Mayor
08-22-2015, 11:39 PM
Ha. Yes.

I text subcontractors and customers a lot. Auto correct can be really annoying.

tomjonesrocks
08-22-2015, 11:40 PM
I text subcontractors and customers a lot. Auto correct can be really annoying.

I almost always post from mobile and despise it.

Plus, it takes my daughters name, "Sydney" and changes it to "STD". Awesome.

Al Wilson 4 Mayor
08-22-2015, 11:44 PM
I almost always post from mobile and despise it.

Plus, it takes my daughters name, "Sydney" and changes it to "STD". Awesome.

:laugh:

Not the association you want with your little princess. Btw, thanks for turning me on to Green Flash. I've tried 3 or 4 of their beets now and they've all been good.

Simple Jaded
08-22-2015, 11:46 PM
Barf has kickoffs. . .McManus has knockoffs.

SR
08-22-2015, 11:48 PM
:laugh: Not the association you want with your little princess. Btw, thanks for turning me on to Green Flash. I've tried 3 or 4 of their beets now and they've all been good.

Careful with those beets

Simple Jaded
08-22-2015, 11:56 PM
There was a play by Sambrailo where Big Al praised him during the replay of a run play where Sambrailo didn't block a single guy.

"You can only do that when you're as athletic as Sambrailo is".

:rolleyes:

tomjonesrocks
08-22-2015, 11:56 PM
:laugh: Not the association you want with your little princess. Btw, thanks for turning me on to Green Flash. I've tried 3 or 4 of their beets now and they've all been good.

Ah, cool! They are a great brewery. San Diego is loaded on the brewery front - it's pretty hard to go wrong.

Green Flash also now owns a stake in Alpine Brewing which is really unbelievable stuff. Alpine Nelson IPA was impossible to get for years locally except at the brewery (and would produce insane lines when sold in bottles) is now (locally) available; in bottle, keg, whatever. No doubt widespread distribution is imminent.

Anyway if you see Alpine Nelson or Alpine Duet around on tap or in bottle I'd definitely recommend giving it a try even if it's a drive to get to it. Anything Alpine really.