PDA

View Full Version : Dungy: Peyton feared Pats bugged visitor locker room

VonDoom
08-20-2015, 09:59 AM
I could have thrown this on the Deflategate trash heap, but I thought it might warrant its own topic around these parts:

Since the Spygate story broke in 2007, there’s been a widespread perception around the NFL that the Patriots cheat. But in the years between Spygate and Deflategate, those accusations amounted to little more than rumor and innuendo.

Still, the rumors and innuendo affected the way NFL teams prepared to play against the Patriots. And the player who has been the Patriots’ biggest rival, Peyton Manning, took specific steps to combat the possibility that the Patriots were cheating.

That’s the word from former Colts coach Tony Dungy, who said on the Dan Patrick Show that when the Colts were playing in New England, Manning would leave the visitors’ locker room and go into an adjacent hallway when he wanted to discuss specific plays the Colts were going to run because Manning feared the locker room was bugged. Dungy said he doesn’t know if the Patriots’ locker room really was bugged, but he did confirm that a 2010 Peter King report about Manning’s concerns was accurate.

“I know that that is very true, and, you know, as Peyton talked to guys who played for the Patriots, some of the guys who came over — whether it’s true or not he treated it as true. We didn’t have a lot of strategy discussions inside the locker room there,” Dungy said.

Dungy stressed that he doesn’t know that the Patriots were cheating, but that Manning didn’t want to take any chances.

“Peyton takes everything to the nth degree,” Dungy said.

And, if the rumor and innuendo are to be believed, so do the Patriots.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2015/08/20/peyton-manning-feared-patriots-bugging-visitors-locker-room/

Ravage!!!
08-20-2015, 11:24 AM
Yeah.. I heard that interview this morning on Dan Patrick.

MOtorboat
08-20-2015, 11:51 AM
Is anyone actually shocked by this? I wouldn't trust the Patriots either.

TXBRONC
08-20-2015, 12:33 PM
Is anyone actually shocked by this? I wouldn't trust the Patriots either.

Nope because the Patriots are slimy cheats.

wayninja
08-20-2015, 12:45 PM
Someone needs to buy Peyton an RF detector for xmas. Demaryius Thomas, I'm looking at you.

VonDoom
08-20-2015, 03:23 PM
Nicki Jhabvala ‏@NickiJhabvala 15m15 minutes ago

Peyton Manning re: Dungy's comments on @dpshow: "I'm still playing, so I don't really talk about what goes on in the locker room."

Dapper Dan
08-20-2015, 11:45 PM
Yeah.. I heard that interview this morning on Dan Patrick.

That's cool. I read about it on the internet in an article.

ShaneFalco
08-20-2015, 11:46 PM
damn. and yall think im paranoid

Dapper Dan
08-21-2015, 12:00 AM
damn. and yall think im paranoid

You are.

Al Wilson 4 Mayor
08-21-2015, 12:37 AM
Cheatenest bastijes around

Dapper Dan
08-21-2015, 12:41 AM

ShaneFalco
08-21-2015, 02:09 AM
http://replygif.net/i/1041

TXBRONC
08-21-2015, 08:38 AM
That's cool. I read about it on the internet in an article.

Do you believe everything you read on the internet?

Dapper Dan
08-21-2015, 08:42 AM
Do you believe everything you read on the internet?

Only if Carol posts it.

TXBRONC
08-21-2015, 08:52 AM
Only if Carol posts it.

She's the most reliable source on the net.

FanInAZ
08-21-2015, 12:17 PM
She's the most reliable source on the net.

WTE claimed that she was the ring leader of an anti-Patriots media conspiracy.

TXBRONC
08-21-2015, 12:31 PM
WTE claimed that she was the ring leader of an anti-Patriots media conspiracy.

She is the epitome of the term vixen.

FanInAZ
08-21-2015, 12:41 PM
She is the epitome of the term vixen.

:confused:

TXBRONC
08-21-2015, 12:45 PM
:confused:

Vixen isn't the right word more like agitator I guess.

FanInAZ
08-21-2015, 12:47 PM
Vixen isn't the right word more like agitator I guess.

In other words, she's brainwashed all of us into hating the Patriots.

TXBRONC
08-21-2015, 12:55 PM
In other words, she's brainwashed all of us into hating the Patriots.

Yes.

Shame on you Carol. :tsk:

Al Wilson 4 Mayor
08-22-2015, 02:32 AM
TX thinks Carol is a vixen. :laugh:

Cugel
08-22-2015, 01:17 PM
Is there really anybody who DOESN'T think the Patriots are cheating? :confused:

How many times do they have to get caught before people say "this is how they operate?"

Frankly, I really doubt whether the air-pressure inside the ball made any big difference. But, it's part of a pattern of Patriots cheating going back for years. They cut corners. They are probably cheating at least a half dozen ways right now. They aren't the only teams who've been caught "cheating". The Broncos lost a draft pick because back during the SB era they cheated on the salary cap.

I think they cheat and every team in the NFL doesn't trust them.

wayninja
08-22-2015, 07:27 PM
I honestly don't think they see it that way. I think they have a culture of trying to find "loopholes". Don't get me wrong, I think they cheat too, but I think there is a lot of rationalization going on the minds of the coaches, and therefore the players. They're like the worst kind of player/lawyers. This was on full display during Brady's press conference after the win against the Ravens I believe, where they used the strange substitution stuff. While, not exactly illegal, was definitely designed to cause timing confusion that was outside the boundaries of what most people consider fair play. Tom smugly said something like "maybe they should read the rules".

They just strike me as a team that pours over the rule book looking for ways to skirt sportsmanship.

7DnBrnc53
08-22-2015, 07:38 PM
Is there really anybody who DOESN'T think the Patriots are cheating? :confused:

How many times do they have to get caught before people say "this is how they operate?"

Frankly, I really doubt whether the air-pressure inside the ball made any big difference. But, it's part of a pattern of Patriots cheating going back for years. They cut corners. They are probably cheating at least a half dozen ways right now. They aren't the only teams who've been caught "cheating". The Broncos lost a draft pick because back during the SB era they cheated on the salary cap.

I think they cheat and every team in the NFL doesn't trust them.

Agree with everything except the part about how Denver cheated the cap.

This situation with the Broncos in the 90s was a treasury issue. It centered on timing of cash inflows and outflows, at a time when there was a substantial amount of outflow activity, in the manner of capital expenditures on the new stadium. It actually had nothing at all to do with the salary cap. It had to do with the way cash was disbursed from the organization to the players, and the deferrals the players took were too team-friendly, per the letter of the CBA law. The Broncos organization had a good relationship with its players, and they agreed to take the deferrals, but those provisions of the CBA were intended to protect players from bad owners.

The CBA was violated, but the salary cap was not. Of course, the MSM gets this wrong, because accounting can be a little complicated to people who aren’t trained in it. Add to that the fact that the MSM gets many, many simple things wrong, and it’s expected. The “Broncos cheated” meme somehow continues.

Simple Jaded
08-22-2015, 08:06 PM
Agree with everything except the part about how Denver cheated the cap.

This situation with the Broncos in the 90s was a treasury issue. It centered on timing of cash inflows and outflows, at a time when there was a substantial amount of outflow activity, in the manner of capital expenditures on the new stadium. It actually had nothing at all to do with the salary cap. It had to do with the way cash was disbursed from the organization to the players, and the deferrals the players took were too team-friendly, per the letter of the CBA law. The Broncos organization had a good relationship with its players, and they agreed to take the deferrals, but those provisions of the CBA were intended to protect players from bad owners.

The CBA was violated, but the salary cap was not. Of course, the MSM gets this wrong, because accounting can be a little complicated to people who aren’t trained in it. Add to that the fact that the MSM gets many, many simple things wrong, and it’s expected. The “Broncos cheated” meme somehow continues.

What he said.

CrazyHorse
08-23-2015, 12:53 AM
wouldn't put it past them. Anyone else remember when McDaniels was here and we got in trouble for trying to videotape signals?

7DnBrnc53
08-23-2015, 11:51 AM
wouldn't put it past them. Anyone else remember when McDaniels was here and we got in trouble for trying to videotape signals?

Allegedly, I think that Jay Glazer of FOX Sports said once that McDaniels said something about how he was telling the other Bronco assistants at the time that it wasn't like NE where they coached and practiced this type of thing. What a BS artist. He had Steve Scarnecchia (ex NE staff worker, I think filmer) on the staff at Denver doing the same thing. Steve was banned for life after that, I think.

Also, what I notice about the McDaniels thing is that a lot of people don't remember it. The NFL probably wanted to get this out of the national spotlight as soon as possible.

MOtorboat
08-23-2015, 12:34 PM
Todd Haley said he thought Pioli bugged his phone in KC.

7DnBrnc53
08-24-2015, 04:46 AM
Todd Haley said he thought Pioli bugged his phone in KC.

I heard that Pioli was doing some weird things there, like blocking the windows in his office that looked out onto the practice field.

tripp
08-24-2015, 04:02 PM
When was the last time Peyton said something out of line in an interview? Other than when he went off on Mike Vanderjagt during the Pro Bowl. But in terms of the Patriots, if they've been known to do something such as Spy gate, WHY wouldn't you assume they'd do something along those lines again? The same guys responsible for Spy Gate are still there.