PDA

View Full Version : Dan Reeves remembers Kubiak's coaching abilities

Denver Native (Carol)
08-19-2015, 04:24 PM
ENGLEWOOD, Colo. — In 1989, Dan Reeves had a glimpse that his then-backup quarterback Gary Kubiak could be an NFL coach during a matchup between Denver and Washington with John Elway out sick with food poisoning.

On a windy late-November evening, Kubiak threw for two touchdowns in the first half, and as the second half wound down with a small lead sustaining the Broncos, Kubiak made a call to keep a drive alive. It was second down with 8 yards to go with 3:35 left in the game from about midfield. Washington called a time out in hopes that they could get the ball back.

"One of the key times in the game, he came over to me and said 'Coach, they're not even paying attention to me. When I hand the ball off,' he said, 'they’re ignoring me,'" Reeves recalls. "He said, 'I can just keep the ball. Call the play, don't tell anybody else. Let them run the play and I'll just keep it.'"

rest - http://www.denverbroncos.com/news-and-blogs/article-1/Dan-Reeves-remembers-Kubiaks-coaching-abilities/ef378e44-8078-4739-a371-e57edf62353f

TXBRONC
08-19-2015, 05:27 PM
rest - http://www.denverbroncos.com/news-and-blogs/article-1/Dan-Reeves-remembers-Kubiaks-coaching-abilities/ef378e44-8078-4739-a371-e57edf62353f

I've always thought that Kubiak could have been a pretty good quarterback if Elway had not come along.

NightTrainLayne
08-19-2015, 06:13 PM
I've always thought that Kubiak could have been a pretty good quarterback if Elway had not come along.

I never remember Kubiak coming into a game and not performing well. He most likely could have been a starter for a lot of teams.

7DnBrnc53
08-19-2015, 11:30 PM
I never remember Kubiak coming into a game and not performing well. He most likely could have been a starter for a lot of teams.

I do: Against the Steelers in 1988. He was terrible. I don't see him being much of anything as a full-time starter.

TXBRONC
08-20-2015, 07:56 AM
I do: Against the Steelers in 1988. He was terrible. I don't see him being much of anything as a full-time starter.

That's one game. Elway had several bad games as a starter. I still think he could have been a pretty good starter had things been different.

Valar Morghulis
08-21-2015, 12:00 PM

Not this year anyway, he might need to dust off the pads when manning retires though