PDA

View Full Version : Joel Dreessen: Peyton Manning will be 'great' in Broncos' offensive scheme

Denver Native (Carol)
08-17-2015, 08:36 AM
HIGHLANDS RANCH, Colo. -- Before he joined the Broncos in 2012, Joel Dreessen played five seasons for the Houston Texans under Gary Kubiak. So when the ex-tight end watched Friday night's game and saw his old boss, he witnessed exactly what he experienced from 2007-11: intensity, even for a preseason game whose scoreboard result is quickly discarded.

"Same old Coach Kubiak to me," Dreessen said when he joined Broncos TV at Buffalo Wild Wings in Highlands Ranch late Sunday afternoon. "Football is important to him. He is not a head coach for anything else but to win ballgames. That's all that matters to him, and he'll tell you that, too. But he thinks he owes it to the guys that are battling their tails off trying to make their living, trying to fulfill their dreams.

"So he is just as dialed in to these preseason games as he would be if you were playing in a playoff game or a regular-season game, because it's important to him, because it's important to his players."

It doesn't stop with game days, either. Dreessen recalls with fondness the motivational, hands-on coaching that Kubiak provided with the Texans.

rest, plus video - http://www.denverbroncos.com/news-and-blogs/article-1/Joel-Dreessen-Peyton-Manning-will-be-great-in-Broncos-offensive-scheme/18c2d809-9ea3-4e72-897a-510063950611

Dzone
08-17-2015, 08:43 AM
I love Dreesen. I loved what he said about the difference between playing for fox and kubiak. He should have his own show ...Is he even working now

TXBRONC
08-17-2015, 08:53 AM
I am confident that Kubiak is going to be very successful in Denver.

GEM
08-17-2015, 09:27 AM
I love Dreesen. I loved what he said about the difference between playing for fox and kubiak. He should have his own show ...Is he even working now

He is on during football season with the morning guys on 104.3, he was last year, assuming he will be again this year. Tuesday Morning Tight End. He is awesome to listen to!

TXBRONC
08-17-2015, 09:57 AM
He is on during football season with the morning guys on 104.3, he was last year, assuming he will be again this year. Tuesday Morning Tight End. He is awesome to listen to!

Didn't he recently write a book?

Dzone
08-17-2015, 10:04 AM
I think that was nate jackson, but not sure

GEM
08-17-2015, 10:04 AM

I don't know. I'd probably read though.

TXBRONC
08-17-2015, 10:10 AM
I think that was nate jackson, but not sure

I think you're right.

GEM
08-17-2015, 10:30 AM
I read the Nate Jackson book, pretty good. Short read, kept me entertained.

Cugel
08-17-2015, 01:35 PM
It's become clear by now that the biggest reason Elway fired the coaching staff and hired Kubiak was to revitalize Peyton Manning's career. Elway knows it's almost impossible to win a SB without an elite QB, and he has one in Peyton.

But, Peyton struggled as the team struggled. He was hurt the last month of the season and neither he nor the team responded well at all in the playoff loss. Nobody went out "kicking and screaming", it was like they all were still suffering from a massive SB hangover.

Elway knew that helping Peyton required changing the entire Broncos culture.

1. Bringing the ZBS back to Denver, giving them a running game that could work on a cold, windy day in January in Foxborough, and not rely on Peyton having a great day to win. Elway threw for 123 yards in the first SB win, and had 0 TDs and 1 INT, but Terrell Davis rushed for 157 yards and 3 TDs, the defense played great, aggressive football, and they won. Bringing in that kind of offense required blowing up the OL and bringing in younger players.

2. Making better use of the young players he and the personnel staff had studied, targeted and drafted, like Mike Paradis, Ty Sambrailo, Michael Schofield, and Max Garcia. Paradis, Sambrailo and Paradis are now starting and Schofield might be starting ahead of Harris by the end of this season.

3. Bring in Wade Phillips, who for all his failures as a Head Coach, is a great Defensive Coordinator, and who would create a much simpler, more aggressive defense. This season the surprising thing to note is how confident and aggressive the defenders seem to be. They are over-thinking less and reacting quicker. That can only be good.

If this works as Elway and Kubiak hope, then I expect Peyton to not only play this year, but next season also, and possibly even 2017 (when he would be 41). If Tom Brady thinks he can play another 7 years, till he's 45, why can't Peyton play until he's 41? Especially if they can get him under center 70% of the time, so he's not facing massive pressure back in the shot-gun, and having to throw most of the time, and not having a running game they can rely on to take the pressure off.

In fact, the Broncos tried desperately to create more of a running game - in the middle of last season. But, such an ad hoc change, juggling the OL on short notice, trying to wing it on an almost daily basis while preparing for the next game is just no way to operate.

This year, they began planning the entire system back in March, and everything they are doing has been directed towards a specific purpose - to take pressure off Peyton, and extend his career by a couple of years, and possibly win a SB. Run the ball more, play aggressive attacking defense, and let Peyton make plays with his arm when he has to, not on every down.

Northman
08-17-2015, 01:48 PM
I am confident that Kubiak is going to be very successful in Denver.

To be honest, i think like Elway he doesnt want to let the organization or fans down. He has history here and i believe that means something to those kinds of guys. Doesnt mean he wont have bad moments or pitfalls but i do think it means he will continue to give 100% to this franchise.

Northman
08-17-2015, 01:50 PM
So Cuges, you were pretty happy with Oz's performance the other night no?

TXBRONC
08-17-2015, 01:51 PM
It's become clear by now that the biggest reason Elway fired the coaching staff and hired Kubiak was to revitalize Peyton Manning's career. Elway knows it's almost impossible to win a SB without an elite QB, and he has one in Peyton.

But, Peyton struggled as the team struggled. He was hurt the last month of the season and neither he nor the team responded well at all in the playoff loss. Nobody went out "kicking and screaming", it was like they all were still suffering from a massive SB hangover.

Elway knew that helping Peyton required changing the entire Broncos culture.

1. Bringing the ZBS back to Denver, giving them a running game that could work on a cold, windy day in January in Foxborough, and not rely on Peyton having a great day to win. Elway threw for 123 yards in the first SB win, and had 0 TDs and 1 INT, but Terrell Davis rushed for 157 yards and 3 TDs, the defense played great, aggressive football, and they won. Bringing in that kind of offense required blowing up the OL and bringing in younger players.

2. Making better use of the young players he and the personnel staff had studied, targeted and drafted, like Mike Paradis, Ty Sambrailo, Michael Schofield, and Max Garcia. Paradis, Sambrailo and Paradis are now starting and Schofield might be starting ahead of Harris by the end of this season.

3. Bring in Wade Phillips, who for all his failures as a Head Coach, is a great Defensive Coordinator, and who would create a much simpler, more aggressive defense. This season the surprising thing to note is how confident and aggressive the defenders seem to be. They are over-thinking less and reacting quicker. That can only be good.

If this works as Elway and Kubiak hope, then I expect Peyton to not only play this year, but next season also, and possibly even 2017 (when he would be 41). If Tom Brady thinks he can play another 7 years, till he's 45, why can't Peyton play until he's 41? Especially if they can get him under center 70% of the time, so he's not facing massive pressure back in the shot-gun, and having to throw most of the time, and not having a running game they can rely on to take the pressure off.

In fact, the Broncos tried desperately to create more of a running game - in the middle of last season. But, such an ad hoc change, juggling the OL on short notice, trying to wing it on an almost daily basis while preparing for the next game is just no way to operate.

This year, they began planning the entire system back in March, and everything they are doing has been directed towards a specific purpose - to take pressure off Peyton, and extend his career by a couple of years, and possibly win a SB. Run the ball more, play aggressive attacking defense, and let Peyton make plays with his arm when he has to, not on every down.

Garcia is also starter on the offensive line.

TXBRONC
08-17-2015, 01:55 PM

:boink:

tomjonesrocks
08-17-2015, 03:34 PM
It's become clear by now that the biggest reason Elway fired the coaching staff and hired Kubiak was to revitalize Peyton Manning's career.

Fox quit. He was lobbying for Chicago before the Colts game was even over. Manning was a reasonable unknown to come back as well.

It didn't really happen like that. Elway showed a good bit of disgust when it was said he "fired" Fox, opting for "mutually parted ways" - but Fox clearly ensured he wasn't returning.

TXBRONC
08-17-2015, 04:47 PM
To be honest, i think like Elway he doesnt want to let the organization or fans down. He has history here and i believe that means something to those kinds of guys. Doesnt mean he wont have bad moments or pitfalls but i do think it means he will continue to give 100% to this franchise.

I agree. Kubiak spent what 20 years in Denver as a player and assistance coach? Denver has been a big part of his life.

silkamilkamonico
08-17-2015, 06:23 PM
It's become clear by now that the biggest reason Elway fired the coaching staff and hired Kubiak was to revitalize Peyton Manning's career.

The biggest reason Elway fired the entire staff was because he didn't trust they could take them to that elite level. Obviously he feels Kubiak can.

I never fully embraced Fox. I remember his first year when Tebow was having great finishes, and having to listen to him every week thanking his players for "keeping my job safe for another week", that he was a coach with no balls and it showed in his teams. Fox is an excellent program "builder" and he brings stability to an organization, but he coaches a very soft, uninspired brand of football with no guts. The way every season ended under him showed it.

TXBRONC
08-17-2015, 07:45 PM
The biggest reason Elway fired the entire staff was because he didn't trust they could take them to that elite level. Obviously he feels Kubiak can.

I never fully embraced Fox. I remember his first year when Tebow was having great finishes, and having to listen to him every week thanking his players for "keeping my job safe for another week", that he was a coach with no balls and it showed in his teams. Fox is an excellent program "builder" and he brings stability to an organization, but he coaches a very soft, uninspired brand of football with no guts. The way every season ended under him showed it.

As someone else pointed out Fox was not fired.

silkamilkamonico
08-17-2015, 09:28 PM
As someone else pointed out Fox was not fired.

Unless Elway was lying, he said it was a mutual decision and that they both weren't on the same page on what it took to win a Championship. SO in the terms of fired meaning moving on with another coach, yes, he was fired.

Al Wilson 4 Mayor
08-17-2015, 09:50 PM
I read the Nate Jackson book, pretty good. Short read, kept me entertained.

Did it have pictures Gem?

TXBRONC
08-17-2015, 10:21 PM
Unless Elway was lying, he said it was a mutual decision and that they both weren't on the same page on what it took to win a Championship. SO in the terms of fired meaning moving on with another coach, yes, he was fired.

No that can mean it was a resignation not a firing.

TXBRONC
08-17-2015, 10:27 PM

You mean like Playgirl? Why would you be interested in that? :shocked:

Simple Jaded
08-17-2015, 10:52 PM
But, but. . .3rd and 5.

:fart:

Btw, Schofield has a long way to go to pass Harris at RT.

Also, btw, I wonder if Nasty Nates book features the compromising pictures he had of Shanatan.

silkamilkamonico
08-17-2015, 10:58 PM
No that can mean it was a resignation not a firing.

Yes - forced resignation, meaning resign or you're fired, basically - we're moving on without you, with or without your approval.

GEM
08-18-2015, 09:15 AM

If I remember correctly it did...he's a handsome sumbitch! :D

I stalk Deckers wife's page, not because of her, because she has some good pics of her hubby. :heh:

Al Wilson 4 Mayor
08-18-2015, 10:03 AM

I stalk Deckers wife's page, not because of her, because she has some good pics of her hubby. :heh:

Lol

TXBRONC
08-18-2015, 10:38 AM

You can do better than Decker. :tsk:

You could stalk me instead. :D

Cugel
08-19-2015, 01:41 PM

I thought it was great of course. He looked poised and confident out there. Of course, it was a very vanilla offense, and the defense was very vanilla, and Seattle wasn't playing a bunch of their Pro-Bowl defenders like Richard Sherman, Earl Thomas, Michael Bennett or Bobby Wagner.

And the pass-blocking sucked early on; I was happy that Peyton wasn't out there when Virgil Greene whiffed on Cliff Avril and slammed right in on Brock.

But, all in all, I was particularly impressed by the running game, and the new found aggressiveness on Defense was awesome. Von looks poised for a great year.

As for Brock, I think his performance makes Zak Dysert completely expendable. They can go with just 2 QBs on the active roster, and put Trevor Symian on the PS as an emergency QB, freeing up a roster spot.

Of course, Brock probably isn't going to play at all this season, any more than he did last year or the year before that, or the year before that.

Peyton hasn't missed a game as a Bronco and there's less reason to think he'll miss any games this season than the last 3 years, since he's going to be hit less because he'll be handing off more.

It seems to me that Peyton is looking great and is poised for a huge success with this new offense, and that he's coming back next season, and maybe in 2017. Brock can decide whether he wants to hang around this season, next season, and possibly the year after as a backup, or whether he wants to go elsewhere for a chance to start, because Kubiak is not going to be able to guarantee Brock a starting job here in Denver any time soon. It all depends on how long Peyton wants to play, and how long Elway thinks he can be effective.

Cugel
08-19-2015, 01:51 PM

Surely there's been so much published about this that there should be no confusion by now?

1. Elway was pissed that Fox & co. didn't make more use of the younger players: Michael Schofield, Paradis, Sylvester Williams, etc. He didn't feel they were being developed properly. That's important because developing your draft picks is key to maintaining a good team while staying under the salary cap. FAs are too expensive to be a long-term solution.

2. He felt the team didn't have heart - they "didn't go out kicking and screaming." They were soft and needed a change of culture to a more aggressive, more physical style both on offense and defense.

3. He felt that they placed too much burden on Peyton and made it all about whether he had a great day to win. He remembered later in his career, how his skills diminished:

"The older you get, instead of being the machine, you've got to become a cog in the machine," Elway said. "Even though your mind tells you that you're still getting better. So there's an adjustment to that. (http://www.latimes.com/sports/nfl/la-sp-peyton-manning-broncos-20150816-story.html)

Elway still thinks Peyton has it all, but he wants a system that can win on a cold windy day in January if Peyton is a bit dinged up and doesn't have a great game.

That requires a much tougher, less finesse team that can punch people in the mouth, and a more aggressive defense.

The Broncos had a top 5 defense last season but it sure didn't look like it, especially in the playoffs. They just weren't aggressive and attacking and imposing their will on people. Now Wade Phillips is known for that style of defense, and it sure looked in the first game like they are going to be coming in waves and putting intense pressure on opposing offenses.

It's a whole new Denver Broncos mentality and I like it a lot! Line up and physically attack defenses by running the ball down their throats and get them back on their heels on offense. Line up on defense and attack people and be aggressive.

TXBRONC
08-19-2015, 05:07 PM
I thought it was great of course. He looked poised and confident out there. Of course, it was a very vanilla offense, and the defense was very vanilla, and Seattle wasn't playing a bunch of their Pro-Bowl defenders like Richard Sherman, Earl Thomas, Michael Bennett or Bobby Wagner.

And the pass-blocking sucked early on; I was happy that Peyton wasn't out there when Virgil Greene whiffed on Cliff Avril and slammed right in on Brock.

But, all in all, I was particularly impressed by the running game, and the new found aggressiveness on Defense was awesome. Von looks poised for a great year.

As for Brock, I think his performance makes Zak Dysert completely expendable. They can go with just 2 QBs on the active roster, and put Trevor Symian on the PS as an emergency QB, freeing up a roster spot.

Of course, Brock probably isn't going to play at all this season, any more than he did last year or the year before that, or the year before that.

Peyton hasn't missed a game as a Bronco and there's less reason to think he'll miss any games this season than the last 3 years, since he's going to be hit less because he'll be handing off more.

It seems to me that Peyton is looking great and is poised for a huge success with this new offense, and that he's coming back next season, and maybe in 2017. Brock can decide whether he wants to hang around this season, next season, and possibly the year after as a backup, or whether he wants to go elsewhere for a chance to start, because Kubiak is not going to be able to guarantee Brock a starting job here in Denver any time soon. It all depends on how long Peyton wants to play, and how long Elway thinks he can be effective.

Actually Wagner and Bennett were in the line up.