PDA

View Full Version : As career winds down, Peyton Manning takes it in and makes adjustments

Denver Native (Carol)
08-16-2015, 08:51 PM
As he gears up for his 18th NFL season, the quarterback who wears No. 18 for the Denver Broncos can see his illustrious career unfold in a collection of mental snapshots.

"There's a certain age that you hit when you start doing that," said Peyton Manning, 39, standing in a quiet hallway at team headquarters. "I really enjoy interacting with the fans. My kids have been out to practice a bunch this year. The rookie skits. Things you know will never happen again."

Manning, the NFL's only five-time most valuable player, isn't putting a stop date on his career, nor is he looking at this season as some type of rocking-chair tour. It's just that, since joining the Broncos from Indianapolis in 2012, after sitting out a season because of a neck injury, he has learned to appreciate the small moments. In that sense, he has savored football through a slow-motion lens.

rest - good article - http://www.latimes.com/sports/nfl/la-sp-peyton-manning-broncos-20150816-story.html

TXBRONC
08-16-2015, 09:52 PM
I know he's saying it's not his last season but would it be surprising if it was?

Cugel
08-19-2015, 01:23 PM
I know he's saying it's not last season but would it be surprising if it was?

I would be shocked frankly. Ever since his neck surgery he's been playing the "one year at a time card." In 2012 all these people were saying "we've got 2 or 3 years tops with Peyton." They said, "well, of course he can't be the Peyton of old, but if he's 80% of what he was, he's still better than 80% of the QBs in this league."

I said then "he's playing at least 5 years. Why can't he come back and be as good as he ever was? He's Peyton Manning. He's the most fanatically dedicated and competitive QB ever." Then he went out and had a career year in 2013 and played pretty well until he got hurt last season and they changed up the offense in the middle of the season, and made just insane personnel decisions, like screwing up the OL, moving Orlando Franklin from RT to LG and then making it worse and worse by constant changes. He's still one of the top 5 QBs in the NFL.

Peyton got a lot of blame he didn't deserve, and all the fans were saying "he's washed up! Time to see what we have in Brock!" :rolleyes:

Elway fired Fox & co. and brought in an entirely new coaching staff for one over-riding reason: to create a system to revive and extend Peyton's career by taking some of the pressure off him. Run the ball more, simplify the offense so some of the rookies can perform better. Don't rely totally on Peyton having a great game every game to win, especially in the playoffs.

The ZBS especially makes it possible for them to be more physical on offense. Cut-blocking will slow down those defenders who have to worry about having their legs taken out. It especially helps to be more aggressive and because most teams don't run that style of offense, it's easier to find quality OL for this system, who slip in the draft because they don't grade out as great prospects in a traditional power-blocking system.

Everything is primed for Peyton to have success.

So, if he can stay healthy, why can't this be a great year for Peyton? He may not throw for 5,000 yards or 50 TDs, but they won't need for him to do that.

I keep harping back to Elway's first SB win, when he threw for 123 yards, 0 TDs and 1 INT, yet the Broncos won because Terrell Davis ran for 157 yards and 3 TDs, and Elway ran for another.

Now THAT is a cold weather offense. A team based around that kind of attack can do anything. If they need Peyton to throw, he can throw. He can do play-action. He can make adjustments if they need to, but it's not a finesse offense, relying on Peyton making all the reads and out thinking the defense. They can say "we're lining up under center, punching you in the mouth, and running the ball down your throats and let's see what you can do about it!" Then if teams commit 7 or 8 defenders to the box to try and slow down C.J. Anderson, Peyton can throw over the top of the defense.

If he can have success in this system, is there any reason at all why he wouldn't want to come back, not only NEXT season but even in 2017?

Tom Brady insists he's playing another 7 years until he's 45. Is there any reason to think Peyton can't play till he's 41, i.e. another 3 years? NO!

And do any of you think that Elway is going to shove a consensus 1st ballot Hall of Fame QB out the door in order to get to Brock Osweiler, as long as he's convinced Peyton can still play?

No. Elway is going to try to convince Peyton to keep coming back for as long as Peyton wants to play, and as long as Elway thinks he can still perform at a relatively high level.

I say Three More Years. That's my prediction. I could be wrong, Peyton could get hurt again, he could decide to hang it up, Elway could decide that his skills have declined too far for him to be effective, but it sure looks like 3 more years to me right now.

Maybe that's the orange colored cool-aid I've been drinking, but, I don't mind standing by that prediction! :beer:

TXBRONC
08-19-2015, 01:39 PM
I would be shocked frankly. Ever since his neck surgery he's been playing the "one year at a time card." In 2012 all these people were saying "we've got 2 or 3 years tops with Peyton." They said, "well, of course he can't be the Peyton of old, but if he's 80% of what he was, he's still better than 80% of the QBs in this league."

I said then "he's playing at least 5 years. Why can't he come back and be as good as he ever was? He's Peyton Manning. He's the most fanatically dedicated and competitive QB ever." Then he went out and had a career year in 2013 and played pretty well until he got hurt last season and they changed up the offense in the middle of the season, and made just insane personnel decisions, like screwing up the OL, moving Orlando Franklin from RT to LG and then making it worse and worse by constant changes. He's still one of the top 5 QBs in the NFL.

Peyton got a lot of blame he didn't deserve, and all the fans were saying "he's washed up! Time to see what we have in Brock!" :rolleyes:

Elway fired Fox & co. and brought in an entirely new coaching staff for one over-riding reason: to create a system to revive and extend Peyton's career by taking some of the pressure off him. Run the ball more, simplify the offense so some of the rookies can perform better. Don't rely totally on Peyton having a great game every game to win, especially in the playoffs.

The ZBS especially makes it possible for them to be more physical on offense. Cut-blocking will slow down those defenders who have to worry about having their legs taken out. It especially helps to be more aggressive and because most teams don't run that style of offense, it's easier to find quality OL for this system, who slip in the draft because they don't grade out as great prospects in a traditional power-blocking system.

Everything is primed for Peyton to have success.

So, if he can stay healthy, why can't this be a great year for Peyton? He may not throw for 5,000 yards or 50 TDs, but they won't need for him to do that.

I keep harping back to Elway's first SB win, when he threw for 123 yards, 0 TDs and 1 INT, yet the Broncos won because Terrell Davis ran for 157 yards and 3 TDs, and Elway ran for another.

Now THAT is a cold weather offense. A team based around that kind of attack can do anything. If they need Peyton to throw, he can throw. He can do play-action. He can make adjustments if they need to, but it's not a finesse offense, relying on Peyton making all the reads and out thinking the defense. They can say "we're lining up under center, punching you in the mouth, and running the ball down your throats and let's see what you can do about it!" Then if teams commit 7 or 8 defenders to the box to try and slow down C.J. Anderson, Peyton can throw over the top of the defense.

If he can have success in this system, is there any reason at all why he wouldn't want to come back, not only NEXT season but even in 2017?

Tom Brady insists he's playing another 7 years until he's 45. Is there any reason to think Peyton can't play till he's 41, i.e. another 3 years? NO!

And do any of you think that Elway is going to shove a consensus 1st ballot Hall of Fame QB out the door in order to get to Brock Osweiler, as long as he's convinced Peyton can still play?

No. Elway is going to try to convince Peyton to keep coming back for as long as Peyton wants to play, and as long as Elway thinks he can still perform at a relatively high level.

I say Three More Years. That's my prediction. I could be wrong, Peyton could get hurt again, he could decide to hang it up, Elway could decide that his skills have declined too far for him to be effective, but it sure looks like 3 more years to me right now.

Maybe that's the orange colored cool-aid I've been drinking, but, I don't mind standing by that prediction! :beer:

I'm just saying if Manning decides to hang them up at the end of season it would not shock me. It's a long season we'll see what happens.

BroncoWave
08-19-2015, 01:49 PM
No way in the world he plays three more years, IMO.

Cugel
08-19-2015, 02:00 PM
I'm just saying if Manning decides to hang them up at the end of season it would not shock me. It's a long season we'll see what happens.

You could be right. And 3 or 4 months from now I might agree with you. But, right now on the question: "how excited are you about the Broncos this season?" I'm about 9 on a scale of 1 to 10, because I think this system could extend Peyton's career by maybe 2 more years after this season.

After all it worked for Elway? And Tony Romo went from zero to hero in Dallas last year after they took some of the pressure off him and gave him a running game last year with DeMarco Murray. Why they let him go remains a mystery to me. The fans were ready to run Romo out of town on a rail after his 3 turnovers in the final game of the season in 2013. Now he's a top 10 QB in this league and they're talking SB run.

Cugel
08-19-2015, 02:04 PM

If Brady thinks he can play for 7 more years, and he's only 1 year younger than Peyton, then give me one good reason why Peyton can't play 3 more years, including this season.

He sure looks good right now. How good he'll look in January remains to be seen of course. But, as of right now, he looks as good as he ever has. And they're not asking him to do as much this season as last, while the running game and the defense is going to be better; probably much better. He should take fewer hits because he's not a stationary target back in the shot-gun nearly as much for defenders to tee off on.

BroncoJoe
08-19-2015, 02:13 PM
If Brady thinks he can play for 7 more years, and he's only 1 year younger than Peyton, then give me one good reason why Peyton can't play 3 more years, including this season.

He sure looks good right now. How good he'll look in January remains to be seen of course. But, as of right now, he looks as good as he ever has. And they're not asking him to do as much this season as last, while the running game and the defense is going to be better; probably much better. He should take fewer hits because he's not a stationary target back in the shot-gun nearly as much for defenders to tee off on.

He hasn't even played this year.

BroncoWave
08-19-2015, 03:07 PM

What does Brady thinking he can play 7 more years have to do with Peyton?

TXBRONC
08-19-2015, 05:12 PM

I don't think he will either.

Apollo
08-20-2015, 06:55 AM
He's been right to play the 'one season at a time' card. At his age, things can deteriorate very quickly in terms of his health. I think he's the kind of athlete that would do anything to keep playing the game, but it really depends on how his health holds up through the season. Even a moderate injury, at his age, could pretty much finish him off.

I would be thoroughly surprised if he stayed more than two seasons. I give him 50/50 chance of another season. Depends on how the team performs as well.

TXBRONC
08-20-2015, 07:38 AM
He's been right to play the 'one season at a time' card. At his age, things can deteriorate very quickly in terms of his health. I think he's the kind of athlete that would do anything to keep playing the game, but it really depends on how his health holds up through the season. Even a moderate injury, at his age, could pretty much finish him off.

I would be thoroughly surprised if he stayed more than two seasons. I give him 50/50 chance of another season. Depends on how the team performs as well.

You hit upon the reasons why I wouldn't be surprised if he called it a career after the season. I'm not predicting he will I'm just saying I believe it's a real possibility.

Cugel
08-22-2015, 07:57 AM
What does Brady thinking he can play 7 more years have to do with Peyton?

Brady is 38. Peyton is 39. And after the KC game last year, lots of "experts" were talking about whether Brady was washed up. He looked "old and tired" etc.

So, if Brady is convinced he's playing for 7 more years, ie until he's 45, then why couldn't Peyton play till he's 41?

I've been predicting for years now that QBs are going to start doing this. They are protecting QBs a lot more, so is it really a surprise that some successful ones would play into their 40's?

If Peyton retires, then other QBs (maybe Drew Brees and probably Brady) are going to keep playing into their 40s anyway.

Back in Elway's day you could hit the QB. They took a beating and by 39 he'd had enough. Now you can't touch the QB in the pocket. You can't hit him in the knees or head or it's not only a penalty, but a fine and possible suspension.

And there's just ZERO sign that Peyton doesn't want to come play anymore. He seems like one of those players who's going to have to be pushed out the door, rather than just walking off -- again, that's assuming he's successful in his own mind. This off season he had a lot of questions. He'd been hurt and ineffective down the stretch. The offense struggled with a patch-work OL. The entire coaching staff was fired. Peyton wondered whether the Broncos even wanted him back and whether he would fit in to Kubiak's new system.

He's been sold on making it work. He will certainly take fewer hits. That should also make him happy. If this system works, and the defense plays like it should, then why wouldn't Peyton keep playing?

TXBRONC
08-22-2015, 09:31 AM
Brady is 38. Peyton is 39. And after the KC game last year, lots of "experts" were talking about whether Brady was washed up. He looked "old and tired" etc.

So, if Brady is convinced he's playing for 7 more years, ie until he's 45, then why couldn't Peyton play till he's 41?

I've been predicting for years now that QBs are going to start doing this. They are protecting QBs a lot more, so is it really a surprise that some successful ones would play into their 40's?

If Peyton retires, then other QBs (maybe Drew Brees and probably Brady) are going to keep playing into their 40s anyway.

Back in Elway's day you could hit the QB. They took a beating and by 39 he'd had enough. Now you can't touch the QB in the pocket. You can't hit him in the knees or head or it's not only a penalty, but a fine and possible suspension.

And there's just ZERO sign that Peyton doesn't want to come play anymore. He seems like one of those players who's going to have to be pushed out the door, rather than just walking off -- again, that's assuming he's successful in his own mind. This off season he had a lot of questions. He'd been hurt and ineffective down the stretch. The offense struggled with a patch-work OL. The entire coaching staff was fired. Peyton wondered whether the Broncos even wanted him back and whether he would fit in to Kubiak's new system.

He's been sold on making it work. He will certainly take fewer hits. That should also make him happy. If this system works, and the defense plays like it should, then why wouldn't Peyton keep playing?

You're saying on the one hand there is zero signs that Manning doesn't want to play but then you talked about what transpired before the start of OTAs from that it seems clear that he was contemplating hanging them up. In fact, I'm sure it came up as a topic conversation. Besides that three seasons ago after they had played the Giants in week two Manning mentioned in his press that he didn't envision being able to play against his brother again.

Cugel
08-22-2015, 12:31 PM
You're saying on the one hand there is zero signs that Manning doesn't want to play but then you talked about what transpired before the start of OTAs from that it seems clear that he was contemplating hanging them up. In fact, I'm sure it came up as a topic conversation. Besides that three seasons ago after they had played the Giants in week two Manning mentioned in his press that he didn't envision being able to play against his brother again.

Of course he was thinking seriously about whether he wanted to come back and play for the Broncos in a completely new system, with a new head coach, a new offensive coordinator! When the season ends in disappointment and they fire the entire coaching staff, NOBODY's job is safe. Elway immediately reassured him that they did want him back and then told him to come in and talk it over with Kubiak. So, Manning came in and had a lot of questions about how he would fit in to the new system.

Elway essentially sold Peyton on trying this out. For 16 seasons Peyton has been able to run the offense his way, playing in the shot-gun and coming up to the line, checking out what the defense is doing and then deciding on a play right there.

Now they want him to run Kubiak's 15 scripted plays to start the game and play probably 70% of the snaps from under center? It's a big transition.

Elway told him that this system prolonged Elway's career by 2 seasons and brought him 2 SB championships. Possibly nobody else in football could have convinced Peyton to accept this change and the resulting loss of some of Peyton's control. For the first time in his career he's not totally in control of the offense. So, now he's decided to commit to doing it. He worked harder than ever in the off-season. He lost weight. His arm strength is improved (according to various Broncos insiders). He looked great in camp running this offense.

But, after the disappointment of the last 3 years is there any Broncos fan who thinks, "the old system worked out great in the playoffs. They're taking too much power away from Peyton?"

The only real question is whether the OL is going to be good enough to protect him and keep him healthy. If it is he'll be successful. If he's successful and stays healthy he's going to want to continue to play. If he's successful, then Elway is going to want him back.

It's not really any more complicated than that. If he's hurt and struggles and the OL struggles, then he probably retires. If not he doesn't.

I happen to think the OL will be good enough, therefore I think Peyton will be great in this system, and that running the ball more from under center will mean he's healthier at the end of the season. Thus, I think he'll be back next year and possibly in 2017.