PDA

View Full Version : Denver Broncos huddle up on offense just as in the good old days

Denver Native (Carol)
08-16-2015, 05:22 PM
SEATTLE — First-year Broncos coach Gary Kubiak stands in the back of the end zone at team headquarters surveying his offense. The Broncos face a third-and-5 situation. Kubiak raises his voice.

"Hey, Peyton. Huddle up! Huddle up! Huddle up!"

The orders signal the Broncos are doing something radical for an NFL team that once turned the field into the autobahn: They are shifting into low gear.

In Peyton Manning's first three seasons in Denver, the Broncos took the frenetic approach. When they scored an NFL-record 606 points in the 2013 regular season, they never had a drive last more than eight minutes. Same goes for last season. But neither season ended with a Super Bowl championship.

rest - http://www.denverpost.com/broncos/ci_28647800/broncos-huddle-up-offense-just-good-old-days

TXBRONC
08-16-2015, 06:20 PM
I believe this will actually work better for Manning than the no huddle.

Timmy!
08-16-2015, 06:28 PM
Thing is, the no huddle will always be in their back pocket should they need it/feel the need to change the pace.

SR
08-16-2015, 06:39 PM
I believe this will actually work better for Manning than the no huddle.

I don't. I hope I'm wrong here but I think taking the no huddle away from Manning as his primary mode of transportation is like taking a fish out of water.

TXBRONC
08-17-2015, 10:08 AM
I don't. I hope I'm wrong here but I think taking the no huddle away from Manning as his primary mode of transportation is like taking a fish out of water.

Kubiak will fit the offense to play to Manning's strengths. That's what he's done in the past with quarterbacks with different strengths.

Davii
08-17-2015, 11:55 AM

Why can't they do both? You can huddle and still change the play at the line, or you can use it as a change of pace tool. For instance they could huddle for rhe first half but come out after the half with a no huddle to trap whatever D they have lined up on the field. Or use it whenever they see matchup to exploit. When you use the no huddle as a rule I think it loses some effectiveness as the other team will train 100% to negate it.

SR
08-17-2015, 12:01 PM
Why can't they do both? You can huddle and still change the play at the line, or you can use it as a change of pace tool. For instance they could huddle for rhe first half but come out after the half with a no huddle to trap whatever D they have lined up on the field. Or use it whenever they see matchup to exploit. When you use the no huddle as a rule I think it loses some effectiveness as the other team will train 100% to negate it.

Why don't you quit making so much sense?

Davii
08-17-2015, 12:02 PM
Why don't you quit making so much sense?

I'll try harder. Sorry.

SR
08-17-2015, 12:20 PM
I'll try harder. Sorry.

You're becoming burdensome to our friendship at this point.

MOtorboat
08-17-2015, 03:47 PM
Meh. Huddling probably has very little to do with the execution and success of a play. Davii's right anyway, they'll do a little of both.

tomjonesrocks
08-17-2015, 04:02 PM
Manning will still audible at the line. So doubt it will affect his rhythm but if it does I assume they'll make adjustments.

Mainly would seem to give both sides a bit more time to rest and time to substitute.

And fewer 12 men on the field calls (but hopefully opponents will jump offsides more often).

Denver Native (Carol)
08-17-2015, 04:21 PM
Are you surprised that just a year and a half after winning the MVP, all anyone wants to ask you about is when you’re retiring?

Peyton Manning: Maybe that’s just a factor of age. I’ve played a long time. That’s how it goes. I really just try to live in the idea of getting to work and doing my part for the team. You want to carry your weight, do your part. That’s what I concentrate on: preparing, practicing, doing the things that need to be done. What people do or don’t say don’t really impact that. Guys in the locker room make some jokes about my age and ask me what it was like before color TV, but that’s about it.

As you were trying to decide whether or not to return for this season, did the Broncos’ request for you to take a pay cut make it a more stressful decision? Did it impact it?

Manning: Stress is a word you always try to avoid, it’s not healthy for you, but I guess my nature would be I really like to know what’s going on so I can get to work on it. What do I need to do? Let’s get going, otherwise you’re behind. Once all that kind of resolved itself, it was kind of, “Let’s go.” Go and don’t look back. One thing I don’t do is look back. I’ve got good practice at that from choosing a college at Tennessee. You can’t get there and say, “I wish I would have gone somewhere else.” I stayed for my senior year. College was the biggest one for me to that point. Staying was the biggest for me at that point. You get an injury, you have a bad game, if you stayed, and I did, you can’t look back. I wanted to be here, this is where I wanted to be. So, don’t look back. I was glad to get that part of it resolved, and let’s go.

Can you fit an offense that isn’t pass-first?

Manning: I’ve said many times I believe I can play almost any offense and do what is required. Maybe not Tubby Raymond’s [Delaware Wing T], but I can make good decisions, make good throws, get us in good plays, and as long as we can score points, move the ball and win games, that’s important. My job is to execute the plays that are called, and I’m all-in on what we’re doing.

rest - http://espn.go.com/blog/denver-broncos/post/_/id/14167/peyton-manning-you-have-to-work-earn-every-step

Davii
08-17-2015, 04:39 PM
Meh. Huddling probably has very little to do with the execution and success of a play. Davii's right anyway, they'll do a little of both.

Can you tell SR that?

Al Wilson 4 Mayor
08-17-2015, 09:43 PM
They no huddle was frequently used just to keep the other team from subbing players. That would be the biggest detriment. They still took over 20 seconds to run a play quite frequently.

SR
08-17-2015, 09:51 PM
Can you tell SR that?

Davii, are you trolling me?

Davii
08-18-2015, 05:06 AM
Davii, are you trolling me?

Whoa whoa whoa. Never. Ok, maybe a little.

TXBRONC
08-18-2015, 10:41 AM

Both have their advantages and disadvantages.

MOtorboat
08-18-2015, 12:33 PM
Both have their advantages and disadvantages.

I wasn't suggesting they were the same. Their advantages and disadvantages have very little, if any, effect on the execution of the next play. Either you run the play effectively or you don't, you can't correlate the end result of the play with whether or not the team huddled.

Al Wilson 4 Mayor
08-18-2015, 05:50 PM
I wasn't suggesting they were the same. Their advantages and disadvantages have very little, if any, effect on the execution of the next play. Either you run the play effectively or you don't, you can't correlate the end result of the play with whether or not the team huddled.

I don't agree with that completely. The personnel of the defense has a big impact on the outcome of the play and how well it is executed. If the defense cannot change its personnel it will theoretically help the offense execute the play