PDA

View Full Version : This Week in Gameday: Sept. 20, 2009

Denver Native (Carol)
09-18-2009, 12:40 PM
http://www.denverbroncos.com/page.php?id=334&storyID=9374

Honoring a Game-Changer

Shannon Sharpe came into the NFL a seventh-round pick out of Savannah State University. He played wide receiver his first year in the league, earning most of his playing time on special teams.

When he retired after 14 seasons, he led all NFL tight ends in receptions, receiving yards and receiving touchdowns, putting together a resume that makes him, in Tony Gonzalez’s opinion, “absolutely the greatest of all time when it comes to a career.”

Now the tight end who was recently voted to the Broncos’ 50th Anniversary Team can add yet another accolade to his career – he will be forever etched in Broncos history, as he officially joins the franchise’s Ring of Fame today.

“For me to have the career that I’ve had coming out of Savannah State and making the football team, starting out on special teams and working my way up through the ranks, to be thought of as one of the best to ever put on that Broncos uniform, it’s very humbling and I’m very honored by it,” Sharpe said.

If his teammates have their way, it won’t be the last honor he receives.

“I’m excited to have him join me in the Ring of Fame, and I hope the next step is for him to join me in Canton,” John Elway said.

NightTrainLayne
09-18-2009, 12:54 PM
Can't believe I get to see this, this weekend! :woot:

Denver Native (Carol)
09-18-2009, 12:56 PM

Both you and Frau - that is great :salute:

T.K.O.
09-18-2009, 02:13 PM

the only game i went to where the broncos lost was in seattle about 8-9 years ago(the one where we got like 165 yds in penalties and dilfer looked like dan marino)....they have won every game ive been to at the old mile high (only 2 games) and 3 at the new.......maybe you should give me your ticket?:D

T.K.O.
09-19-2009, 08:30 PM
mike klis
Klis: Muscles may stiffen at 30, but so does resolve
By Mike Klis
The Denver Post
Posted: 09/19/2009 03:48:05 PM MDT
Updated: 09/19/2009 03:48:09 PM MDT

Their muscle soreness deepens. Their bones creak at the joints. The mirror is starting to reveal a silver tint in the morning stubble.

Yet, for so many 30-somethings, there is a game to play today.

Football players don't grow old - they find a place beneath the Bill Belichick coaching tree.

In the AFC, the team with the most players 30 years or older is a three-way tie between the New England Patriots, who are coached by Belichick; the Cleveland Browns, coached by former assistant Eric Mangini; and the Broncos, coached by another former Belichick assistant Josh McDaniels.

Each has 16 thirty-somethings.

Only the NFC Washington Redskins, who never met an overrated free agent they didn't want to overpay, have more 30-somethings with 17.

"You're talking about guys who have been in the trenches, have a lot of experience on the field, in the locker room,'' said Vonnie Holliday, the Broncos' 33-year-old defensive end. "A lot of times they're guys you don't have to worry about concerning off-the-field issues.''

It can't be a coincidence the NFL's biggest troublemakers in recent years — Pacman Jones, Chris Henry, Travis Henry, Brandon Marshall, Michael Vick — were all 20-somethings. Even Chad Ochocinco and Terrell Owens are mellowing as they play into their 30s.

Not all teams are so trustful of the aging. The Green Bay Packers only have four players 30 or over. Perhaps a Brett Favre complex has seeped its way along Lombardi Avenue.

The Cincinnati Bengals have an AFC-low seven players who have celebrated their 30th birthday. And wouldn't you know it, the Bengals were beat in their opener last week by 33-year-old Broncos receiver Brandon Stokley, whose honed instincts moved into position for the Immaculate Deflection.

In recent years, the Patriots have nearly formed a dynasty in part by borrowing from George Allen's Over the Hill philosophy and Al Davis' old Raiders by giving one more chance to players otherwise considered washed up.

Players like Junior Seau, Rodney Harrison, Ted Washington and even 32-year-old Randy Moss have provided considerable, second-career contributions to the Patriots' success.

Roman Phiper, the Broncos' assistant linebackers coach, was 33 when he joined the Patriots in 2001. When he left at 36 in 2004, he had three Super Bowl rings, starting in all three title games. "If they can still play at a high level, you're not going to cross them off your list because they're birthday was in 1977 or whatever,'' said McDaniels. "Having a player that's gone through a lot of this stuff in many ways is better than maybe a guy who hasn't.''

Better? Stokley is not as fast at 33 as he was at 23, although Dhani Jones would say he's fast enough. Broncos safety Brian Dawkins can't possibly have the same first-step quickness as he approaches 36 that he did at 26.

In a sport that foremost requires superior physical skills, how can a football player get better as he gets older?

"You can overcome whatever diminishing speed you have by being smarter,'' said Champ Bailey, one of four 30-somethings starting in the Broncos' secondary. "You learn to anticipate, and anticipation will make you faster.''

Champ is a reminder of another common denominator among 30-something players: They usually were really good players in their 20s first.

"I will say this: At 30, I was more disciplined in everything in life,'' Holliday said.

"Off the field, the way I take care of my body, I push myself more, knowing the importance of having to work harder. New guys come in every year and they're faster, bigger, stronger, so there's greater importance for me in learning technique and playing smart football. And really learning the game. I really started understanding the Xs and Os around 29, 30.''