PDA

View Full Version : Broncos can afford to trade a running back

Magnificent Seven
08-12-2015, 04:19 PM
Looking over the Broncos' first depth chart, it appears that the Broncos have a crowded backfield. The team is currently carrying six RBs, and only four of them are expected to be retained. That means Denver has two expendable running backs.

It would seem a shame to cut a talented RB just because there's not room on the roster for him, so the Broncos are likely considering trade options. Accepting a conditional sixth or even seventh round pick beats simply cutting a player.

Here's a breakdown of Denver's current RB depth chart:

Starter: C.J. Anderson

Anderson gained 1,173 yards from scrimmage last season, starting the team's final seven games. He's the team's main back entering 2015, and is not a candidate to be trade.

No. 2: Montee Ball

Ball has struggled to stay healthy since joining the team, but coach Gary Kubiak spoke highly of him at training camp. He's been getting some first-team reps, but if the Broncos have confidence in their other young RBs, Ball could be viewed as expendable.

No. 3: Ronnie Hillman

Hillman played well when given opportunities last season, and he's had a good training camp. But if the Broncos feel their offense has no need for a change-of-pace RB, Hillman is a trade candidate.

No. 4: Juwan Thompson

Thompson is an up-and-coming option at RB, and he's unlikely to be traded.

No. 5: Jeremy Stewart

Denver would have a hard time finding a trading partner for Stewart.

No. 6: Kapri Bibbs

Bibbs has one year left of practice squad eligibility, and that's likely where the Broncos hope to stash him again this season. But if he plays well in preseason, there's a risk of another team signing him away. He has value as a fourth RB, but it's hard to imagine a team trying to trade for him.

Review: Ball and Hillman are really the team's only two options to trade at RB, and they may end up keeping both. But if they want to keep some kind of combination between Thompson, Stewat, and Bibbs as their final RBs, they may have to make a trade.

http://www.milehighreport.com/2015/8/12/9114663/broncos-rumors-will-broncos-trade-rb-montee-ball-ronnie-hillman-nfl-trades

Magnificent Seven
08-12-2015, 04:20 PM
I would trade RB Ronnie Hillman...

MOtorboat
08-12-2015, 04:21 PM
Well, certainly the Broncos could afford to trade a running back, but what's the return on a position that is ever decreasing in importance and a group of players at that position who've never played a full season?

I'm guessing that return is pretty low.

BroncoWave
08-12-2015, 04:50 PM
Well, certainly the Broncos could afford to trade a running back, but what's the return on a position that is ever decreasing in importance and a group of players at that position who've never played a full season?

I'm guessing that return is pretty low.

Cleveland seems pretty desperate if they are looking at Ray Rice. Maybe we could pry a decent piece or mid round pick away from them?

tomjonesrocks
08-12-2015, 05:08 PM
I'd take a nice sandwich for Montee Ball.

TXBRONC
08-12-2015, 05:24 PM
Stewart could be traded but I don't think they could get much for him.

Buff
08-12-2015, 05:25 PM
Every team has a running back surplus in training camp. They are a dime a dozen and teams with needs will have plenty of options once rosters cut down. Nothing to see here.

dogfish
08-12-2015, 07:27 PM
bah. . . hillman's the only one i'd consider expendable, and he's certainly not worth anything. . .

Dapper Dan
08-12-2015, 07:51 PM
You can never have too many Runningbacks

VonDoom
08-12-2015, 08:26 PM
Trade Ball to the Cowboys for Doug Free.

SR
08-12-2015, 08:29 PM

Ok Madden

TXBRONC
08-12-2015, 08:34 PM

I don't think they would go for that one Doom.

VonDoom
08-12-2015, 08:51 PM
Ok Madden

I don't think they would go for that one Doom.

Hey, it was just an idea. I didn't say they would do it.

OrangeHoof
08-12-2015, 08:51 PM
You can never have too many Runningbacks

DING! DING! DING! We have our winner. Thanks for playing.

TXBRONC
08-12-2015, 09:11 PM
Hey, it was just an idea. I didn't say they would do it.

I agree it's an idea. :salute:

TXBRONC
08-12-2015, 09:12 PM
DING! DING! DING! We have our winner. Thanks for playing.

I doubt Denver keeps more than four.

Dzone
08-12-2015, 09:14 PM
Trade Montee Ball to Green Bay for Eddie Lacy

TXBRONC
08-12-2015, 09:15 PM

Doom's idea seems more realistic. :D

SR
08-12-2015, 09:21 PM

Trade Montee Ball to MN for AP.

VonDoom
08-12-2015, 09:33 PM
Trade Montee Ball to MN for AP.

Alright, now we're talking.

Dzone
08-12-2015, 09:40 PM
And remember, it is still way to early to speculate who got the better player between ball and lacy lol

VonDoom
08-12-2015, 09:41 PM
And remember, it is still way to early to speculate who got the better player between ball and lacy lol

I was probably someone who said that last year. I try not to spend too much brain power thinking about what could have been, though. I think CJ will be a monster this year and that's really all that counts at this point.

Davii
08-12-2015, 10:10 PM
Can Ball play safety or LT?

tomjonesrocks
08-12-2015, 10:21 PM
Ball reminds me of Laurence Maroney in his prime.

dogfish
08-12-2015, 11:54 PM
Can Ball play safety or LT?

definitely not. . .

Ball reminds me of Laurence Maroney in his prime.

good lord!

:lol:

man, that is just cold. . . at his worst, he's better than selvin young. . . maroney would have been a disaster on his own, but given the fact that marshawn lynch was ALSO available for a 4th that season. . .

yea, mcdaniels. . .

Dzone
08-13-2015, 12:56 AM
I think Lance Ball ran a lot like his brother Montee..were they twins? How many minutes apart were they born?

sneakers
08-14-2015, 12:29 AM
didn't they move the trading deadline back a few weeks for last season?

Magnificent Seven
08-15-2015, 01:25 AM
Trade Montee Ball. Ronnie Hillman looked good tonight.

MOtorboat
08-15-2015, 02:36 AM
And get what? A seventh round pick?

elsid13
08-15-2015, 07:47 AM

In Madden I turn him into two 1st and Luck, but I did have to throw in Tony Carter......

TXBRONC
08-15-2015, 09:14 AM
Trade Montee Ball. Ronnie Hillman looked good tonight.

Ball looked pretty good too.

Al Wilson 4 Mayor
08-15-2015, 11:32 AM

That's my question as well.

Al Wilson 4 Mayor
08-15-2015, 12:01 PM
Ball looked pretty good too.

Yes he did. He looked really good. We have good depth at RB and I don't want to lose it so we can pick up a late round draft pick or a fringe player

Northman
08-15-2015, 12:03 PM
If our top 3 backs are still at a cheap price than there is no need to trade/cut them.

SR
08-15-2015, 12:08 PM
If our top 3 backs are still at a cheap price than there is no need to trade/cut them.

I think it'll be CJ, Hillman, Ball, and Stewart. I don't see Denver keeping Juwan and Bibbs.

Northman
08-15-2015, 12:09 PM
I think it'll be CJ, Hillman, Ball, and Stewart. I don't see Denver keeping Juwan and Bibbs.

Im unfamiliar with Stewart, is he a FB? I know it had been mentioned somewhere that Juwan might play FB but if Stewart fits that role than you may be right.

tripp
08-15-2015, 12:12 PM
Don't think we'd get anything for any of em except CJ. Even then, at what cost... 6th? a 5th at best for Montee or Hillman. Doesn't seem hardly worth it.

TXBRONC
08-15-2015, 12:13 PM
Im unfamiliar with Stewart, is he a FB? I know it had been mentioned somewhere that Juwan might play FB but if Stewart fits that role than you may be right.

He's a runningback. He appeared in at least one game last year.

silkamilkamonico
08-15-2015, 01:40 PM
Wasn't impressed with Ball at all. Hillman looked great I thought.

silkamilkamonico
08-15-2015, 01:42 PM
Don't think we'd get anything for any of em except CJ. Even then, at what cost... 6th? a 5th at best for Montee or Hillman. Doesn't seem hardly worth it.

Agreed. Nobody in the NFL is going to give anything worth a damn for a RB in this day and age. They are a dime a dozen.

Ravage!!!
08-15-2015, 02:08 PM

From what I've read, Denver seems to be pretty high on Juwan.

SR
08-15-2015, 02:22 PM

I'm not down on him by any means

OrangeHoof
08-15-2015, 03:41 PM
Backs have to go through a 20-game Cuisinart and, if they're lucky, they get to make it to the playoffs. I don't see the point in trading any of them. We've had years where we were down to our sixth or seventh option. Wasn't there one year we had to bring a runner back from selling cell phones at the shopping mall? Even if you have to stash one on the PUP list, you hold onto as many as you can.

MOtorboat
08-15-2015, 04:19 PM
I thought Thompson looked like fifth string last night.

Anderson
Hillman
Ball
Stewart
Thompson

dogfish
08-15-2015, 05:27 PM

somebody has to play special teams. . .

hopefully, better than last ****ing night!

:frusty:

Simple Jaded
08-15-2015, 05:28 PM
There isn't a single untouchable RB on the roster, I'd trade Anderson if someone wanted him bad enough.

TXBRONC
08-15-2015, 05:35 PM
There isn't a single untouchable RB on the roster, I'd trade Anderson if someone wanted him bad enough.

Depends on what they would want for him. A low round draft pick would be a non starter.

Timmy!
08-15-2015, 05:36 PM
Pointless thread is pointless.

Simple Jaded
08-15-2015, 06:07 PM
Depends on what they would want for him. A low round draft pick would be a non starter.

A starter, current player or draft pick. If they could throw in some OL or DE depth that'd be tits too.

Valar Morghulis
08-16-2015, 03:29 AM
Juwan punishes people when he runs through them

tripp
08-16-2015, 01:25 PM

I'd feel the same way next year. This year I want the best players possible on this roster to give us a shot at the Superbowl. Next year I'm not sure how much of a contender we'll be. My guess maybe .500 at best. If that's the case I don't have a huge problem with trading some talent to get better in other more important places (O-line).

TXBRONC
08-16-2015, 01:42 PM
I'd feel the same way next year. This year I want the best players possible on this roster to give us a shot at the Superbowl. Next year I'm not sure how much of a contender we'll be. My guess maybe .500 at best. If that's the case I don't have a huge problem with trading some talent to get better in other more important places (O-line).

If Anderson has big year which is very possible in this system and best offer pick anywhere 5 to 7 I would be inclined to say no.

Al Wilson 4 Mayor
08-16-2015, 01:45 PM
Running the ball is going to be a huge part of what we do this year. I think having two or three good running backs on the roster is very important.

tripp
08-16-2015, 01:52 PM
If Anderson has big year which is very possible in this system and best offer pick anywhere 5 to 7 I would be inclined to say no.

I agree. I'm not even sure I'd take a 3rd rounder if Anderson has a 1,500+ rushing yard season this year. That's a big IF though.

TXBRONC
08-16-2015, 02:03 PM
I agree. I'm not even sure I'd take a 3rd rounder if Anderson has a 1,500+ rushing yard season this year. That's a big IF though.

Absolutely, he has to do it first. But even he has that big of a season in today's NFL teams don't seem to be very willing to trade for a running back even when they are teams don't seem to have pay very much for them. I think Dogfish in this very thread reminded us that Marshawn Lynch was had for a fourth round pick.

SR
08-16-2015, 03:29 PM

How on earth can you say we will be a .500 team "at best" NEXT YEAR when this season hasn't even started yet? Jesus Jones.

Simple Jaded
08-16-2015, 04:10 PM
Marshawn Lynch was a giant bag of douche in Buffalo, they didn't trade "Beast Mode".

TXBRONC
08-16-2015, 05:17 PM
Marshawn Lynch was a giant bag of douche in Buffalo, they didn't trade "Beast Mode".

Yes Lynch had problems in Buffalo but he was still a very good running back even with being a putz.

NightTerror218
08-16-2015, 06:56 PM

Stewart....I do not see the need to keep when casey can play FB. Hillman is in his last yr I believe and would be the only one worth trading but he has looked good.

SR
08-16-2015, 07:02 PM
Stewart....I do not see the need to keep when casey can play FB. Hillman is in his last yr I believe and would be the only one worth trading but he has looked good.

Stewart isn't a fullback. If Casey is your argument then what about Duncan?

Simple Jaded
08-16-2015, 07:42 PM
I think between TE and FB they keep 4, making Joe Don Duncan #4 on that depth chart.

Simple Jaded
08-16-2015, 07:43 PM
Yes Lynch had problems in Buffalo but he was still a very good running back even with being a putz.

His act in Buffalo is the reason he went for a 4th round pick.

SR
08-16-2015, 08:06 PM
I think between TE and FB they keep 4, making Joe Don Duncan #4 on that depth chart.

I don't know man. That would basically be CJ, Ball, and Hillman with Duncan who at this point is a gimmick player. Not sure how comfortable I feel with that.

Simple Jaded
08-16-2015, 08:18 PM
I don't know man. That would basically be CJ, Ball, and Hillman with Duncan who at this point is a gimmick player. Not sure how comfortable I feel with that.

Wait, I mean Daniels, Green at TE with Casey and Duncan at FB and depth at TE.

Then I'd like to see Anderson, Ball, Hillman and Thompson at RB.

Eight between the three positions seems reasonable, that leaves 16 or so spots for OL, WR and QB.