PDA

View Full Version : Who should be the next player from each team to make the Hall of Fame?

Denver Native (Carol)
08-08-2015, 05:01 PM
from article:

AFC WEST

Denver Broncos

Terrell Davis. With seven Super Bowl appearances in the franchise’s history and just four Hall of Famers, the Broncos are one of the most under-represented teams in Canton. Their list of deserving candidates is long, including Karl Mecklenburg, Randy Gradishar, Louis Wright and Steve Atwater. But running back Davis was a finalist in 2015. His career was shortened by injury, but Davis was an NFL MVP, a Super Bowl MVP and his career average of 97.5 rushing yards per game is fourth best in league history. He holds the NFL postseason record (minimum five games) of 142.5 rushing yards per game. -- Jeff Legwold

full article - http://espn.go.com/blog/nflnation/post/_/id/173443/who-should-be-the-next-player-from-each-team-to-make-the-hall-of-fame

Northman
08-08-2015, 05:02 PM
Gradishar, Davis, Atwater.

Simple Jaded
08-09-2015, 11:16 PM
I would add Rod Smith to North's list between TD and Atwater.

Poet
08-10-2015, 06:23 AM
Atwater's a top five safety of all-time. He should have first-balloted.

G_Money
08-10-2015, 01:43 PM
Atwater's still my selection. He's on the All-Decade team too. Of course, safeties get short shrift and you can't really show Atwater taking heads on the field anymore. It was a different game then and he was one of the best at it, far better than Dennis Smith. For starters, Atwater kept his head up for a large part of his career and thus missed far fewer garish tackles than Smith.

But Steve deserves to be in the Hall. He was the last of the truly fearsome lumber guys at safety. People ran inside routes against the Broncos just praying the ball would not come their way, and his impact on the game (both via hits and the fear of hits) really was astounding.

I'd like to see Rod Smith get in some day, but I don't think he will - even though his numbers are basically Michael Irvin's. Rod Smith was rarely double-teamed while getting those numbers. He still gets my vote, but I don't expect him to get enough others.

My feelings on TD are pretty well documented. Amazing ability, would not have our pair of rings without him, should have had a HOF career - but his was just too short. Not his fault, but longevity matters too. Ask Sterling Sharpe, and he had more legit years in his career. Of course, maybe Sterling gets in some day, and if so that's another tally on the side of "Elect TD." I guess I'm just not there on essentially a 4-year career being HOF worthy, even if those 4 years were completely off-the-charts.

Gradishar should already be in, and I can't figure out why he isn't. Maybe someday.

But for me Atwater is just a crime. I guess people forget.

spikerman
08-11-2015, 06:18 AM
I'm not sure Atwater ever gets in, but I will say this: If not for Davis' incredible game Atwater could very easily have been the MVP of SB XXXII.

Northman
08-11-2015, 06:49 AM
I'm not sure Atwater ever gets in, but I will say this: If not for Davis' incredible game Atwater could very easily have been the MVP of SB XXXII.

Same here. Would love for Atty to get in but while he was great in run support and a hell of a hitter his coverage skills lacked a lot to be desired which im sure holds him back from getting in.

SR
08-11-2015, 06:50 AM
Same here. Would love for Atty to get in but while he was great in run support and a hell of a hitter his coverage skills lacked a lot to be desired.

When Atwater played, he wasn't asked to be great in coverage. Neither was John Lynch. Or any of the great safeties until the league because so extremely pass heavy. Atwater was the best at what he did while he was doing it.

Northman
08-11-2015, 07:01 AM
When Atwater played, he wasn't asked to be great in coverage. Neither was John Lynch. Or any of the great safeties until the league because so extremely pass heavy. Atwater was the best at what he did while he was doing it.

I would suggest you go look at the numbers for Rod Woodson or Ronnie Lott man. Those guys could do both and Woodson only played 6 years as a FS and still had more INTs than Atty did his entire career. Again, i would love to see Steve get in but i dont think it will happen. I think Davis has a better shot of getting in than Steve does.

SR
08-11-2015, 07:30 AM
I would suggest you go look at the numbers for Rod Woodson or Ronnie Lott man. Those guys could do both and Woodson only played 6 years as a FS and still had more INTs than Atty did his entire career. Again, i would love to see Steve get in but i dont think it will happen. I think Davis has a better shot of getting in than Steve does.

Interceptions aren't a measuring stick for a safety like it is for a corner. Atwater had over 1100 tackles, was an eight time Pro Bowler, two time first team all-pro, and once a second team all-pro. Not to mention a two time Super Bowl champ. I think Atwater is a HOF caliber player. He was the hardest hitting, scariest safety to come across for a long time. People were scared of him. People were scared of Ronnie Lott too, but he's already in the Hall.

I bet if you asked guys like TJ Ward or some of these other hard hitting strong and free safeties who they looked up to as a kid or who they model their game after they'd say "the Smiling Assassin". Or Ronnie.

Shazam!
08-11-2015, 08:10 AM
He should get in based on how he KO'D Randy Hilliard in the Super Bowl alone. Created a memorable play by leveling one of his own teammates lol

BroncoJoe
08-11-2015, 08:24 AM
Regardless of the player(s), it is beyond reason and stunningly ridiculous that there are only four Broncos in the HOF.

SR
08-11-2015, 09:05 AM
Regardless of the player(s), it is beyond reason and stunningly ridiculous that there are only four Broncos in the HOF.

It is what it is. The HOF voting is a joke and we all know it.

Northman
08-11-2015, 03:34 PM
Interceptions aren't a measuring stick for a safety like it is for a corner. Atwater had over 1100 tackles, was an eight time Pro Bowler, two time first team all-pro, and once a second team all-pro. Not to mention a two time Super Bowl champ. I think Atwater is a HOF caliber player. He was the hardest hitting, scariest safety to come across for a long time. People were scared of him. People were scared of Ronnie Lott too, but he's already in the Hall.

I bet if you asked guys like TJ Ward or some of these other hard hitting strong and free safeties who they looked up to as a kid or who they model their game after they'd say "the Smiling Assassin". Or Ronnie.

Im not really debating whether he belongs or not, all the points you made i agree with but i do think guys like Woodson or Lott are more rounded safeties. None the less considering Bronco players rarely get into the HOF anyway i just think its going to be a very long time if at all that Stevie gets in there.

MOtorboat
08-12-2015, 02:12 AM

Atwater averaged 20 more tackles per year than Lott and 40 more per year as Woodson. You're basically comparing a strong safety to two free safeties.

Besides, if the argument against Steve Atwater is that he wasn't Ronnie Lott, who is likely the best safety ever and certainly is the best safety from 1980-2000, it just doesn't seem like a solid argument to keep Atwater out.

It's like saying Warren Moon doesn't deserve to be in the Hall of Fame because he's not John Elway.

MOtorboat
08-12-2015, 02:44 AM
As a point of reference, here are the safeties on the all-decade teams from 1960 on and all of the safeties in the Hall of Fame, regardless of how much they played safety:

All Decade Safeties
*HOF Inductee
1960s
Eddie Meador, Rams
Larry Wilson, Cardinals*
Willie Wood, Packers*
1970s
Ken Houston, Oilers/Redskins*
Cliff Harris, Cowboys
Larry Wilson, Cardinals*
Dick Anderson, Dolphins
1980s
Ronnie Lott, 49ers*
Kenny Easley, Seahawks
Deron Cherry, Chiefs
Nolan Cromwell, Rams
Joey Browner, Vikings
1990s
Steve Atwater, Broncos
LeRoy Butler, Packers
Carnell Lake, Steeler/Jaguars
Ronnie Lott, 49ers/Raiders/Jets
2000s
Brian Dawkins, Eagles/Broncos
Ed Reed, Ravens
Troy Polamalu, Steelers
Darren Sharper, Packers/Vikings/Saints

Hall of Fame Safeties
Jack Christiansen, Lions 51-58
Ken Houston, Oilers/Redskins, 67-80
Don Hutson, Packers, 35-45
Paul Krause, Redskins/Vikings 64-79
Yale Lary, Lions 52-64
Ronnie Lott, 49ers/Raiders/Jets 81-94
Mel Renfro, Cowboys 64-77
Emlen Tunnell, Giants/Packers 48-61
Aeneas Williams, Rams 03-04
Willie Wood, Packers 60-71
Rod Woodson, Steelers/49ers/Ravens/Raiders 87-03

Tell me how Atwater doesn't belong on that second list.

Northman
08-12-2015, 06:15 AM
Atwater averaged 20 more tackles per year than Lott and 40 more per year as Woodson. You're basically comparing a strong safety to two free safeties.

Besides, if the argument against Steve Atwater is that he wasn't Ronnie Lott, who is likely the best safety ever and certainly is the best safety from 1980-2000, it just doesn't seem like a solid argument to keep Atwater out.

It's like saying Warren Moon doesn't deserve to be in the Hall of Fame because he's not John Elway.

Im not saying it should keep him out.

SR
08-12-2015, 07:09 AM
Aneas Williams was a CB

Davii
08-12-2015, 08:20 AM

Are you saying we should petition for Warren Moon to be removed from the Hall on the grounds that he's not John Elway?

Ravage!!!
08-12-2015, 09:46 AM
Are you saying we should petition for Warren Moon to be removed from the Hall on the grounds that he's not John Elway?

That's what I read.

BroncoJoe
08-12-2015, 10:54 AM

That'll never happen. Moon is a trustee at the HOF.

MOtorboat
08-12-2015, 11:44 AM
Aneas Williams was a CB

According to the Hall he played safety for two years.

SR
08-12-2015, 11:56 AM
According to the Hall he played safety for two years.

That doesn't make him a safety. He was a declining CB trying to extend his career like Rod Woodson did successfully.

MOtorboat
08-12-2015, 11:59 AM
That doesn't make him a safety. He was a declining CB trying to extend his career like Rod Woodson did successfully.

If it said "safety" next to his name on the Hall website he's on the list. The point wasn't to designate those players as full time safeties - because something like six of them including Aeneas Williams and Rod Woodson were inducted mostly because of being cornerbacks - but to show the list of people who played safety in the NFL who are in the Hall to exemplify why Atwater deserves to be on that list.

SR
08-12-2015, 12:12 PM
If it said "safety" next to his name on the Hall website he's on the list. The point wasn't to designate those players as full time safeties - because something like six of them including Aeneas Williams and Rod Woodson were inducted mostly because of being cornerbacks - but to show the list of people who played safety in the NFL who are in the Hall to exemplify why Atwater deserves to be on that list.

Dear MO,

I agree with you.

Sincerely,
SR

Poet
08-12-2015, 06:35 PM
Players are primarily judged by their peers, or more commonly known as an era comparison. Then you look at them for an all-time comparison. Atwater was clearly in the elite during his era, and when you adjust his other numbers for said era to the adjustments of other all-time players he compares well. Yes, he was not as good as Ronnie Lott, and Woodson is one of the greatest defenders ever in terms of his ability to go from elite corner to elite safety. With that being said, it's almost like arguing that if no RB is as good as Walter P. or Jim Brown that they can't be in the HoF.

Atwater was a legitimate first ballot player. Now ballots get backlogged and other players who are legitimate inductees and first ballot guys don't get that honor when it's deserving either. However, it's inexcusable that Atwater has waited this long. Let's be honest, most fans and many talking heads don't talk about the old school guys like Jim Brown. So, when you pull out safeties from the 80's on out I'd have to ask who was better than Atwater? Lott and Woodson, okay that's fine. Want to argue Troy P. and Ed Reed? That's fine. But who else had his career? Bob Sanders at his best was the best safety I've ever seen...for two and a half years stretched over 5 seasons. Adrian Wilson might get some looks, but he's a lesser version of Atwater, which isn't as disrespectful of a comment as one might think.

7DnBrnc53
08-16-2015, 02:45 PM

Woodson was a better overall DB than Lott, who wasn't that good in coverage. That's probably why he was moved to CB in his 20's (as opposed to Woodson in his 30's).

And, I agree that Atwater and Davis should be in. Atwater has the credentials, and as for Davis, I have two words: Dwight Stephenson.

He was a C for Miami from 1980-87 before Marty Lyons ended his career. He didn't play much his first three seasons, but made the Pro Bowl four times, and got in the Hall despite a short career. If he is in, Davis should definitely be in.

Also, as for Rod Smith, if he got a few more Pro Bowls (he should have made the Pro Bowl three more times, in my opinion), he would be a better candidate, although it still would be iffy.

SR
08-16-2015, 03:18 PM
Woodson was a better overall DB than Lott, who wasn't that good in coverage. That's probably why he was moved to CB in his 20's (as opposed to Woodson in his 30's). And, I agree that Atwater and Davis should be in. Atwater has the credentials, and as for Davis, I have two words: Dwight Stephenson. He was a C for Miami from 1980-87 before Marty Lyons ended his career. He didn't play much his first three seasons, but made the Pro Bowl four times, and got in the Hall despite a short career. If he is in, Davis should definitely be in. Also, as for Rod Smith, if he got a few more Pro Bowls (he should have made the Pro Bowl three more times, in my opinion), he would be a better candidate, although it still would be iffy.

I think Rod has a 50/50 shot at the Hall. For being an undrafted guy to put up the numbers he did and have as long of a career as he did is pretty remarkable.