PDA

View Full Version : Ziggy's Training Camp Report 8/8/15

Ziggy
08-08-2015, 02:41 PM
Camp was packed today and I have to say that this was one of the best TC practices I've ever been to. Keep in mind that I've gone every year that fans were allowed in since 1989. A big part of what made it so great was that most of practice was offense vs defense. Usually, the first team offense practices against the second team D, and the second team offense practices against the first team D. Not so today, so let's get this party started.

The first player out was Ben Garland. Nothing unusual there. Let me set the lineups for you. First team offense was as follows.

LT- Ty Sambrailo
LG- Max Garcia
C- Matt Paradis
RG- Louis Vasquez
RT- Ryan Harris
QB- Peyton Manning
RB- CJ Anderson
FB- James Casey
TE- Owen Daniels
WR- Demaryius Thomas
WR- Cody Latimer

Emmanuel Sanders did not practice. The Broncos rotated different receivers into the third WR spot on 3 and 4 WR sets. Jordan Taylor, Jordan Norwood, Solomon Patton, and Andre Caldwell all rotated in and out at different times.

On special teams, Brandon McManus did all of the kicking. The only punts were done by the JUGS machine.

The first team defense set up as follows:

DE- Antonio Smith
NT- Sly Williams
DE- Malik Jackson
ILB- Corey Nelson
ILB- Brandon Marshall
OLB- Demarcus Ware
OLB- Von Miller
CB- Bradley Roby
CB- Aqib Talib
SS- TJ Ward
FS- Darian Stewart

When Marshall had his reps limited, Todd Davis stepped in for him. The nickel corner was Tony Carter most of the time. Chris Harris was out today.

I didn't get to see the offense do drills today. I had watched them at practice Monday, so I focused on the defensive lineman and linebackers. As I said, most of the practice was simulating game situations with the ones against the ones and the twos against the twos. The third teamers didn't get a whole lot of reps, so the coaches rotated a lot of players in and out of the second team.

More to come.......

TXBRONC
08-08-2015, 02:48 PM
I'm looking forward to seeing the rest of your report. :beer:

Ziggy
08-08-2015, 03:11 PM
On Offense-

QB-
It still amazes me how accurate Manning is. He let loose two deep balls today with good accuracy as well. Manning looks like Manning. I was hoping that Brock Osweiller was just having another bad day on Monday. Unfortunately he had the same kind of practice today, and every other day that I've seen him since he's been drafted. I really hope he's just a bad practice player. His accuracy is way off, and his reads come far too slowly. Other than a few would be sacks, the QB's had some decent time to throw. Pass coverage was phenomenal today. Dysert and Siemian both got very few reps during team practice.

RB- CJ runs with decisiveness, but there's just not much in the way of lanes to run through. He got up once with obvious pain in his left arm/shoulder area and went to the sideline. Hopefully it's nothing serious because he looks great considering the limited room to run. All of the backs got looks with the second team today. Montee looks like last year's Monte. Capable, but I just don't see him flash. Hillman looked better, and he looks bigger this year. Keep in mind, I'm far from a fan of his. Kapri got very few reps, but looked quick when he was in. Juwaan got his reps and runs with authority. He got a couple of looks with the first team on goal line situations. Jeremy Stewart looked sharp today as well. Keep in mind that I'm evaluating these guys purely on how they read, cut, and go. There's just no lanes to see what they can do with daylight.

TE- Owen Daniels already looks like Manning's security blanket. He's sharp, quick, and just knows how to get open and bail out his QB. He's also a very good blocker. If Virgil was out there, he was invisible. Joe Don Duncan is getting second team looks at both FB and TE. He's listed at 270, but I think he cut some weight this offseason. He sure is quick though, and loves contact. There's always that one nut case that you can tell just loves to go out and play the human battering ram, and would do it for free if he had to. He's that guy for the Broncos. Dominique Jones and Marcel Jensen both got time with the second team today. Both looked decent, but neither flashed.

WR- It was hard to evaluate the WR's today, simply because the defense was blanketing everyone . Even when the QB's had time, receivers were rarely open. Jordan Norwood, Solomon Patton, and Jordan Taylor all made their presence felt at one point or another. Jordan Taylor didn't get any first team looks, but he just keeps making plays. He had the circus catch of the day again. Unfortunately, he was pushed out of the back of the endzone and couldn't get his feet down in bounds. It was still fun to watch. He basically reached over the top of the DB who had good coverage in front of him and stole the ball away. Patton has the most explosion, and it was evident during the punt return drills. Norwood is consistent and smooth, and got quite a few reps with the first team on empty backfield sets. Bennie Fowler had one big play, but got his butt chewed twice during goal line offenses for not knowing where to motion or block.

OL-
I'm still not surprised that the OLine isn't functioning at a high level yet. The ZBS has to have everyone on the same page, and these guys just aren't there yet. I will say that the pass blocking looked better today, but the run blocking was pitiful again. Kubiak used quite a few 2 and 3 TE sets with the first team today. He's going to get people blocked. The biggest question is how many he'll have to commit to do it. Schofield was out, so the second team moved Clark over to the left side, with Kyle Roberts playing right tackle. The interior line on the second team consisted of Garland, Grad, and Smith from left to right. Between the youth and the new scheme, I don't expect to see the Oline really start to get it together until late in the preseason at the earliest.

The fullback spot is filled by Duncan on the second team. He and Casey took all of the FB reps.

Northman
08-08-2015, 03:15 PM
I still want to see Oz in live games but the reports so far about his practice reps are concerning. But, at least we have Manning for the time being and if Denver needs to go another direction come next draft they can just take someone else.

TXBRONC
08-08-2015, 03:32 PM
On Offense-

QB-
It still amazes me how accurate Manning is. He let loose two deep balls today with good accuracy as well. Manning looks like Manning. I was hoping that Brock Osweiller was just having another bad day on Monday. Unfortunately he had the same kind of practice today, and every other day that I've seen him since he's been drafted. I really hope he's just a bad practice player. His accuracy is way off, and his reads come far too slowly. Other than a few would be sacks, the QB's had some decent time to throw. Pass coverage was phenomenal today. Dysert and Siemian both got very few reps during team practice.

RB- CJ runs with decisiveness, but there's just not much in the way of lanes to run through. He got up once with obvious pain in his left arm/shoulder area and went to the sideline. Hopefully it's nothing serious because he looks great considering the limited room to run. All of the backs got looks with the second team today. Montee looks like last year's Monte. Capable, but I just don't see him flash. Hillman looked better, and he looks bigger this year. Keep in mind, I'm far from a fan of his. Kapri got very few reps, but looked quick when he was in. Juwaan got his reps and runs with authority. He got a couple of looks with the first team on goal line situations. Jeremy Stewart looked sharp today as well. Keep in mind that I'm evaluating these guys purely on how they read, cut, and go. There's just no lanes to see what they can do with daylight.

TE- Owen Daniels already looks like Manning's security blanket. He's sharp, quick, and just knows how to get open and bail out his QB. He's also a very good blocker. If Virgil was out there, he was invisible. Joe Don Duncan is getting second team looks at both FB and TE. He's listed at 270, but I think he cut some weight this offseason. He sure is quick though, and loves contact. There's always that one nut case that you can tell just loves to go out and play the human battering ram, and would do it for free if he had to. He's that guy for the Broncos. Dominique Jones and Marcel Jensen both got time with the second team today. Both looked decent, but neither flashed.

WR- It was hard to evaluate the WR's today, simply because the defense was blanketing everyone . Even when the QB's had time, receivers were rarely open. Jordan Norwood, Solomon Patton, and Jordan Taylor all made their presence felt at one point or another. Jordan Taylor didn't get any first team looks, but he just keeps making plays. He had the circus catch of the day again. Unfortunately, he was pushed out of the back of the endzone and couldn't get his feet down in bounds. It was still fun to watch. He basically reached over the top of the DB who had good coverage in front of him and stole the ball away. Patton has the most explosion, and it was evident during the punt return drills. Norwood is consistent and smooth, and got quite a few reps with the first team on empty backfield sets. Bennie Fowler had one big play, but got his butt chewed twice during goal line offenses for not knowing where to motion or block.

OL-
I'm still not surprised that the OLine isn't functioning at a high level yet. The ZBS has to have everyone on the same page, and these guys just aren't there yet. I will say that the pass blocking looked better today, but the run blocking was pitiful again. Kubiak used quite a few 2 and 3 TE sets with the first team today. He's going to get people blocked. The biggest question is how many he'll have to commit to do it. Schofield was out, so the second team moved Clark over to the left side, with Kyle Roberts playing right tackle. The interior line on the second team consisted of Garland, Grad, and Smith from left to right. Between the youth and the new scheme, I don't expect to see the Oline really start to get it together until late in the preseason at the earliest.

The fullback spot is filled by Duncan on the second team. He and Casey took all of the FB reps.

I heard Harris and Ray got into a little bit of scrap today.

Ziggy
08-08-2015, 03:46 PM
On Defense

The defense flat out dominated today. They look fast and nasty.

DL- I had the pleasure of watching the DLine drills today. I'm more of a fan of watching game situations but one drill that the Kollar has the line doing in particular really builds and shows their quickness. It's one where they hit the sled, turn, and fire off towards the heavy bag. The most impressive players on this one were actually the two 320 pound nose tackles. Sly and Kilgo are nearly both as quick as Malik in this drill. During the team periods, the line just dominated the offensive line. When Sly isn't double teamed he's creating havoc. Kilgo is the same way with the second team. Both players were blowing up the line from time to time. Antonio Smith is running with the starters with Wolfe out. He's steady, and holds the POA well. Malik looks bigger this year. He looks a bit rusty to me. I don't think he's in football shape yet. Kenny Anunike is disruptive, but inconsistent. He looks like he hasn't come into quite yet, but you can see the potential that the coaches are talking about. He'll get swallowed up at the point of attack on one play, and dominate on the next. He's quick but smaller than our starting ends. Fua made his presence felt quickly with a couple of big plays on the second team. He looks like he's hungry to take full advantage of his second chance.

LBers- This group was killing it today. Marshall played in the early team matchups but was pulled later. This is nothing new. It sounds like they're keeping his reps limited. Good. He doesn't need many. He was playing like he never missed a workout since last season. I was worried about him coming into camp but he looks fast. Corey Nelson was running with the ones. Just as I was wondering what he was doing out there with the first team, he showed me why. He was great in coverage all day long, and stuffed at least two runs that I can think of off the top of my head. When Marshall went out, Todd Davis came in. He was great in coverage as well. (Your'e going to see a theme going on here with the defense today). He also blew up Montee coming through the line. Von looks like he has a jet pack strapped to his hind quarters. PAY DA MAN! If he stays healthy he's going to challenge the sack record. 25 is not an impossibility with his talent and this scheme. He really defies the laws of nature. Demarcus looks sharp, rejuvenated, and hungry. These two are going to be hell on QB's this season. Shane Ray is making plays from time to time, but you can almost see the wheels turning as he takes his reps. He's still thinking far too much. When he gets to the point where he can just go out and play, he's going to be very very good. The kid has an extra gear when the game is going. Not Von's gear, but he still takes it up a notch. Lamin Barrow seems to be falling behind. He's running mostly running 2nd team nickel and 3rd team right now. I was worried about the depth at ILBer going into camp. After watching two practices, I'm feeling pretty good about it.

CB-
Chris Harris sat out today. Roby looked wonderful. DT caught a pass on him, but the coverage was tight and no one was going to keep DT from catching that ball. When he squares up, the guy is unstoppable. Talib had what would have been a beautiful pick six off of Manning called back because of penalty. It looks like Wade is going to let him be Talib again. He's beating up his man at the line of scrimmage and not giving an inch. I really enjoy watching him play his game. The nickel corner today was...he who shall not be named. He looked like the same Tony Carter. Great play on one series, and getting burned for a big play on another. The kid that caught my eye today in the secondary was Lorenzo Doss. He dropped one pick, and broke up two other passes. The kid is a ball hawk. He'll stick.

S- TJ Ward and Darian Stewart are very good together. It almost looks like Wade is playing them interchangeably. Both are dropping into coverage at times, and playing in the box at others. Stewart had a pick off of Manning in the goal line situation and Ward broke up a pass as well. You can see the experience, confidence, and swagger when these two are on the field together. Bruton was out today so Josh Bush and Omar Bolden took most of the second team reps. Both looked pretty good. Bush had the hit of the day in goal line defense. The defensive players on the sideline and the crowd went nuts.

Overall, the defense absolutely dominated. There were times when the QB's had some time to look for receivers and the coverage was just too good for even Manning to make a play. This is the fastest defense I've ever seen the Broncos put on the field, and yes I watched the Orange Crush. This D has speed at every level, they can cover, and they can rush the passer. Watch out.

BroncoWave
08-08-2015, 03:48 PM
Happy to hear my adopted bronco did well. That is my next jersey purchase if he sticks on and does well.

Al Wilson 4 Mayor
08-08-2015, 03:55 PM
Tony Carter instead of Webster? Wth, why?

BroncoWave
08-08-2015, 03:56 PM

Only thing I can think of is that he has some seriously incriminating dirt on John Elway. Nothing else makes sense.

WARHORSE
08-08-2015, 04:34 PM
Awesome Ziggy. Thank you so much for putting in the time to share. Broncos!

Denver Native (Carol)
08-08-2015, 04:52 PM
I heard Harris and Ray got into a little bit of scrap today.

I think that was at yesterday's practice

Ziggy
08-08-2015, 05:01 PM

Webster was held out today....which means that TC is still the #5 corner. He'll be replaced by Doss before the season starts. Well, at least I think he will.

Ziggy
08-08-2015, 05:04 PM
Awesome Ziggy. Thank you so much for putting in the time to share. Broncos!

No worries. I love to read other folks camp reports just to get a non-media view of practices. I always post one when I go. Unfortunately, this was the last practice I'll see this season.

Davii
08-08-2015, 05:59 PM
No worries. I love to read other folks camp reports just to get a non-media view of practices. I always post one when I go. Unfortunately, this was the last practice I'll see this season.

Thanks for your work Ziggy!

TXBRONC
08-08-2015, 06:17 PM

It still appreciated. Also from what you've reported and others this defense is going be a lot of fun watch.

pnbronco
08-08-2015, 07:34 PM

Webster got helped off the field yesterday. I heard he had the wind knocked out of him....but it may have been enough of something else to sideline him today....

Thanks Ziggy!!!

TXBRONC
08-09-2015, 06:00 PM
Webster got helped off the field yesterday. I heard he had the wind knocked out of him....but it may have been enough of something else to sideline him today....

Thanks Ziggy!!!

Apparently he has a rib injury.

Simple Jaded
08-10-2015, 12:44 AM
Maybe the Broncos should just skip the 2nd round of the draft.

TXBRONC
08-10-2015, 01:17 PM
Maybe the Broncos should just skip the 2nd round of the draft.

Cody Latimer was a second round pick and so far in camp he's looked from what I've read.

NightTerror218
08-10-2015, 01:20 PM
I wonder if Doss will be able to play FS. Having a nice ball hawking FS would be nice. We are sitting well at CB.

TXBRONC
08-10-2015, 01:28 PM
I wonder if Doss will be able to play FS. Having a nice ball hawking FS would be nice. We are sitting well at CB.

From what people are saying it sounds like Denver's secondary is going to be pretty good.

Buff
08-10-2015, 02:19 PM
Thanks, Ziggy... Great stuff. It's become an annual rite-of-passage to see Tony Carter get torched and/or take a bad PI penalty - so I guess we should just embrace the tradition at this point.