PDA

View Full Version : Broncos rework Colquitt's contract

VonDoom
08-03-2015, 09:13 AM
I wish they would have just released him, but I guess he's sticking around. No word on whether it's an extension yet, but this is what we know so far:

Jeff Legwold ‏@Jeff_Legwold 10m10 minutes ago

With @FieldYates -- #Broncos have re-worked P Britton Colquitt's deal. Colquitt had a 3.75 M cap figure, his salary will now closer to $1.6M

Troy Renck ‏@TroyRenck 3m3 minutes ago

Confirming report #Broncos have reduced base salary of punter Britton Colquitt to $1.6 million Creating $1.4M in cap space

Edit: it's being reported as a straight up pay cut at this point. 2016 salary currently unchanged:

Jeff Legwold ‏@Jeff_Legwold 12m12 minutes ago

In #Broncos re-work of Colquitt's deal team left '16 alone (last yr of deal), deal has $4M cap # in '16. that likely gets a look aftr season

Jeff Legwold ‏@Jeff_Legwold 8m8 minutes ago

Colquitt had the ninth-highest salary cap figure on the #Broncos for this season until the pay cut.

TXBRONC
08-03-2015, 09:36 AM
I think Colquitt is good punter and most of the problems have not been his punting but coverage related. Still, it was good move on Elway's part get Colquitt's cap number down.

SR
08-03-2015, 09:44 AM
Excellent move by the front office to free up a good amount of cap space this season. Makes me wonder if they're looking at making a move somewhere. Also, this makes me believe that Colquitt knows he had an off year last year and is willing to take a pay cut to show he's willing to prove himself.

TXBRONC
08-03-2015, 09:58 AM
Excellent move by the front office to free up a good amount of cap space this season. Makes me wonder if they're looking at making a move somewhere. Also, this makes me believe that Colquitt knows he had an off year last year and is willing to take a pay cut to show he's willing to prove himself.

It wouldn't surprise me if Denver was looking to bring in another player.

Buff
08-03-2015, 10:10 AM
LOL at Colquitt being the 9th highest paid player on the team before the re-structure. Whoever his agent is - they did a hell of a job on his last contract.

Dapper Dan
08-03-2015, 10:14 AM
Good on Colquitt. He's such a great guy. He got underpaid for his performance so he got a raise. He realized he underperformed his contract so he took a pay cut. That's the kind of players I like.

Denver Native (Carol)
08-03-2015, 12:41 PM
Thought I would throw the following in this thread:

Vic Lombardi ‏@VicLombardi 47m

The NFL average for dead money is $8.8m. Broncos are under a million. Second lowest in the league.

VonDoom
08-03-2015, 12:51 PM
Thought I would throw the following in this thread:

Vic Lombardi ‏@VicLombardi 47m

The NFL average for dead money is $8.8m. Broncos are under a million. Second lowest in the league.

Yeah, I think that's very relevant here. Elway seems to want to do anything he can to avoid dead money hits. There would have been a minor one had he been released, but this way, there is no issue at all.

VonDoom
08-03-2015, 12:55 PM
Jon Heath ‏@JonHeathNFL 7m7 minutes ago

"It's part of the business," Colquitt said of his adjusted 2015 salary.

Troy Renck ‏@TroyRenck 58s59 seconds ago

Colquitt on restructuring. "Peyton took a cut. He's good guy to follow. It's still a good living and this is where I want to be" #Broncos

Valar Morghulis
08-03-2015, 01:01 PM
Jon Heath ‏@JonHeathNFL 7m7 minutes ago "It's part of the business," Colquitt said of his adjusted 2015 salary. Troy Renck ‏@TroyRenck 58s59 seconds ago Colquitt on restructuring. "Peyton took a cut. He's good guy to follow. It's still a good living and this is where I want to be" #Broncos

Colquitt just became one of my favorite Broncos. I hope he has a monster year and earns a payrise next year

BroncoWave
08-03-2015, 01:03 PM
Definitely earned some respect for colquitt here. Most players wouldn't just willingly take a pay cut like this.

Denver Native (Carol)
08-03-2015, 01:12 PM
Vic Lombardi ‏@VicLombardi 4h

With Colquitt re-working his contract, pretty much tells me Schmitz has not been consistent enough to compete for the punting job.

VonDoom
08-03-2015, 01:16 PM
Colquitt just became one of my favorite Broncos. I hope he has a monster year and earns a payrise next year

Definitely earned some respect for colquitt here. Most players wouldn't just willingly take a pay cut like this.

It's funny how our perceptions can change. We looked at him as overpaid for his production. Now he's much more in line with the average punter and he willingly took a pay cut and put his salary in perspective by saying "it's still a good living." I like the way he has handled this.

Buff
08-03-2015, 01:32 PM
Were you guys all born yesterday? He took a pay cut because he had to. If he had any inkling whatsoever that another team would have paid him more - he would have told us to shove it. His production sucked, so he did what he had to do to keep his job.

NightTerror218
08-03-2015, 01:32 PM
Wonder if he has extra performance incentives to earn money back now

VonDoom
08-03-2015, 01:37 PM
Wonder if he has extra performance incentives to earn money back now

I read that he gets some amount if he makes the Pro Bowl this year. Can't remember how much but it was something like $300,000?

TXBRONC
08-03-2015, 01:59 PM
Yeah, I think that's very relevant here. Elway seems to want to do anything he can to avoid dead money hits. There would have been a minor one had he been released, but this way, there is no issue at all.

Because it always comes back to bit teams in the butt and Elway has been masterful at keeping the Broncos out of harms way.

Ziggy
08-03-2015, 02:03 PM
Vic Lombardi ‏@VicLombardi 4h

With Colquitt re-working his contract, pretty much tells me Schmitz has not been consistent enough to compete for the punting job.

I don't see it that way. It's entirely possible that Schmitz was playing consistent enough to make Elway go to Colquitt's agent and say take a pay cut or find a new team.

TXBRONC
08-03-2015, 02:09 PM
I don't see it that way. It's entirely possible that Schmitz was playing consistent enough to make Elway go to Colquitt's agent and say take a pay cut or find a new team.

I haven't heard that the other guy was that good. If that's case then they should have sent him packing.

The very fact the other guy is there is leverage enough. It's not necessarily that other guy is better.

BroncoWave
08-03-2015, 02:22 PM
Were you guys all born yesterday? He took a pay cut because he had to. If he had any inkling whatsoever that another team would have paid him more - he would have told us to shove it. His production sucked, so he did what he had to do to keep his job.

If it's true that Schmitz had been struggling, colquitt very well could have called their bluff knowing that he was their only option at punter. Players get stubborn about pay cuts all the time. He should be commended for handling this the way he did.

Buff
08-03-2015, 02:30 PM
If it's true that Schmitz had been struggling, colquitt very well could have called their bluff knowing that he was their only option at punter. Players get stubborn about pay cuts all the time. He should be commended for handling this the way he did.

LOL at the idea of a punter calling a team's bluff. Dominique Rodgers Cromartie - who was actually valuable and good at football - called Elway's bluff on a $50 million deal and got the offer rescinded. You're telling me a punter who sucked last year is going to take a hard line?

This wasn't a choice or a decision on Colquitt's part - Elway said "here is what we're going to pay you" and Colquitt said "Thank you, sir, that's very generous of you."

Denver Native (Carol)
08-03-2015, 03:02 PM
Colquitt signed a three-year, $11.7 million extension in 2013 that made him the league's highest-paid punter with an average salary of $3.9 million per year. His new $1.6 million salary, down from the $3 million he was set to earn, applies only to 2015; his salary for 2016, the final year on his deal, remains at $3.25 million.

The changed contract increases the chances Colquitt will remain the Broncos' punter. It also created a little elasticity with the salary cap, but wasn't designed to pursue any specific player. The Broncos rank second in the NFL in least dead cap money at $992,000, with a pro-rated portion of former kicker Matt Prater's signing bonus counting $812,000. In other words, nearly all of the Broncos' money is on the field. The NFL average in dead money per team is $8.8 million.

full article

http://www.denverpost.com/broncos/ci_28577696/britton-colquitt-broncos-agree-reduced-salary-2015

TXBRONC
08-03-2015, 03:02 PM

True but the very fact Schmitz is there sends pretty strong message that there is thought to replacing him. I couldn't agree more that Colquitt handled it well.

BroncoWave
08-03-2015, 03:03 PM
LOL at the idea of a punter calling a team's bluff. Dominique Rodgers Cromartie - who was actually valuable and good at football - called Elway's bluff on a $50 million deal and got the offer rescinded. You're telling me a punter who sucked last year is going to take a hard line?

This wasn't a choice or a decision on Colquitt's part - Elway said "here is what we're going to pay you" and Colquitt said "Thank you, sir, that's very generous of you."

I mean his agent was good enough to make him the 9th highest paid player on the team in the first place, so it's not out of the realm of possibility that he could have helped Colquitt play hardball if he really wanted.

It's ok to compliment a guy without being totally cynical all the time, Buff. :D

TXBRONC
08-03-2015, 03:05 PM
I mean his agent was good enough to make him the 9th highest paid player on the team in the first place, so it's not out of the realm of possibility that he could have helped Colquitt play hardball if he really wanted.

It's ok to compliment a guy without being totally cynical all the time, Buff. :D

Buff would imploded if he did that. :D

Buff
08-03-2015, 03:15 PM

Actually yes, it is totally out of the realm of possibility. Did you see him punt last year? 24th in the league at a mile high. He had zero chance of making that salary this year. The guy is lucky to still have a job. The idea that he deserves praise for doing the team a solid is laughable.

I am a cynical a-hole, but in this instance I'd like to think I'm just being realistic.

Timmy!
08-03-2015, 03:30 PM
Buffs right, but props to Brandon for saying the right things and not whining, despite him probably not having much of a choice in the matter.

Ziggy
08-03-2015, 03:33 PM
I can only go by what I saw at today's practice. Schmitz has a far stronger leg. More hang time and distance overall. With Colquitt taking a pay cut, I have to wonder if they are planning on keeping him now. He also did all of the holding today for field goals in camp.

TXBRONC
08-03-2015, 03:46 PM
Actually yes, it is totally out of the realm of possibility. Did you see him punt last year? 24th in the league at a mile high. He had zero chance of making that salary this year. The guy is lucky to still have a job. The idea that he deserves praise for doing the team a solid is laughable.

I am a cynical a-hole, but in this instance I'd like to think I'm just being realistic.

Being a cynical a-hole by your own admittance does little to help your credibility of being realistic in this instance Buff. :wave:

J/K

Buff
08-03-2015, 03:48 PM
Being a cynical a-hole by your own admittance does little to help your credibility of realistic in this instance Buff. :wave:

J/K

I don't see the two as being mutually exclusive.

TXBRONC
08-03-2015, 03:56 PM
I don't see the two as being mutually exclusive.

I didn't say they were. Besides that I was kidding.

VonDoom
08-03-2015, 04:44 PM
I can only go by what I saw at today's practice. Schmitz has a far stronger leg. More hang time and distance overall. With Colquitt taking a pay cut, I have to wonder if they are planning on keeping him now. He also did all of the holding today for field goals in camp.

Wouldn't it be dickish to ask him to take a pay cut and then release him anyway? Unless they need this money now, I can't see why they would announce it if there's still the possibility that they release him outright.

TXBRONC
08-03-2015, 04:54 PM
Wouldn't it be dickish to ask him to take a pay cut and then release him anyway? Unless they need this money now, I can't see why they would announce it if there's still the possibility that they release him outright.

Colquitt taking the pay cut more than likely that he'll stay. If the other guy is that better than Colquitt then I would want the better punter. I can't challenge Ziggy on what he saw of punters but I also read that other guy hasn't looked all that great.

Dapper Dan
08-03-2015, 08:44 PM
Do fans of other teams talk about their punter this much?

TXBRONC
08-03-2015, 09:28 PM
Do fans of other teams talk about their punter this much?

Idk you might want to check it out.

Dapper Dan
08-03-2015, 09:54 PM
Idk you might want to check it out.

There are some guys that already check other team's boards. They might know. Pags and Wte could chime in if they weren't ran off.

BroncoWave
08-03-2015, 09:56 PM
There are some guys that already check other team's boards. They might know. Pags and Wte could chime in if they weren't ran off.

Apparently Shane posts on at least two other teams' boards, so maybe he can chime in.

ShaneFalco
08-03-2015, 10:21 PM
Karl still a better punter for cheaper.

ShaneFalco
08-03-2015, 10:22 PM
Apparently Shane posts on at least two other teams' boards, so maybe he can chime in.

Rams talk about Greg zuerlin alot :)

SR
08-03-2015, 10:23 PM

No. He's not. You just need some trendy underdog story to latch on to.

TXBRONC
08-03-2015, 10:23 PM

Pags did not get ran off he left on his own and WTE never gave straight answers.

Dapper Dan
08-03-2015, 10:28 PM
Rams talk about Greg zuerlin alot :)

Hopefully he doesn't get a DUI.

BroncoWave
08-04-2015, 07:04 AM

Based on what exactly?

SR
08-04-2015, 07:11 AM
Based on what exactly?

What I said.

Dapper Dan
08-05-2015, 01:03 AM
http://espn.go.com/blog/denver-broncos/post/_/id/13988/broncos-want-to-save-a-roster-spot-and-keep-two-kickers

Barth and McManus are in a tight race in camp's early going -- DeCamillis said Tuesday they are separated by only one missed field goal attempt -- and the 29-year-old Barth is trying to show the Broncos he can be an option on kickoffs.

"Yeah, he's working at it, he's going to have to," DeCamillis said.

"All I did all offseason was work with my kicking coach up in Charlotte, (N.C.), Dan Orner, and he works with a bunch of guys kicking off in the league," Barth said. "It's showing. We kicked off the 30 today, and I hit one out of the back from the 30, and the rest off of the 35. That's what I'm trying to show. That's something that's kind of been a negative in my corner, so I am trying to show people that it's more of a technique thing and really just working on it like have in my field goals."

ShaneFalco
08-05-2015, 01:09 AM
Based on what exactly?

has alot more leg strength. kicks about 10 - 15 yards deeper

BroncoWave
08-05-2015, 06:50 AM
has alot more leg strength. kicks about 10 - 15 yards deeper

You've seen him do this in NFL games?

Valar Morghulis
08-05-2015, 07:04 AM
You've seen him do this in NFL games?

If we are talking about Barth and McManus then yes.

I believe in barths first game he did not manage a touch back, but mcmanus would do so repeatedly.

All from memory so I could be wrong

VonDoom
08-05-2015, 07:27 AM

I believe in barths first game he did not manage a touch back, but mcmanus would do so repeatedly.

I think they're talking about Schmitz and Colquitt here, not Barth and McManus

BroncoWave
08-05-2015, 07:31 AM

Pretty sure he's talking about this Schmitz guy or whatever his name is.

Valar Morghulis
08-05-2015, 07:34 AM
Shit. My bad.

Stupid brit.

Dapper Dan
08-05-2015, 07:38 AM
Awwwwwww. Don't be so hard on yourself.