PDA

View Full Version : A clean Von Miller out of NFL drug program

VonDoom
08-01-2015, 08:43 PM
Here's a little nugget that Klis dropped today. Good news. For those that thought the suspension would have an effect on Von's next contract, I give you this:

KUSA - As Denver Broncos star linebacker Von Miller was dealing with his six-game suspension for violating the NFL's substance abuse program two years ago, he said there was nothing he could say to earn trust back from his team and fans, only actions.

His actions have been tangibly rewarded as a league source told 9NEWS that because Miller has not tested positive for the past two years, he is no longer in the league's drug program.

After getting tested multiple times a week for two years as a player who was in Stage 3 of the NFL's substance abuse program, Miller's status has been resent to zero. He has not been drug tested in more than a month. He is not even in stage 1.

The development could not have come at a better time for Miller as he is in the final year of his contract. That means when his agent Joby Branion entertains negotiations for Miller's next contract, the linebacker would be considered no more risk of a drug suspension than the league's teetotalers.

The rest: http://www.9news.com/story/sports/2015/08/01/von-miller-denver-broncos/31005297/

Denver Native (Carol)
08-01-2015, 08:46 PM
That's great news - Congrats Von

ShaneFalco
08-01-2015, 08:46 PM
good for him

SR
08-01-2015, 09:12 PM
good for him

What?

Dzone
08-01-2015, 09:55 PM
excellent, now hopefully he can help keep shane ray from the same fate

tubby
08-01-2015, 11:22 PM
:bandit:

Davii
08-01-2015, 11:37 PM
Congratulations Von, good on him.

Al Wilson 4 Mayor
08-01-2015, 11:48 PM
Well done Von.

Simple Jaded
08-02-2015, 01:18 AM
10bucks says got stoned to the begeezus belt 30 days ago, potheads are stupid.

Northman
08-02-2015, 09:55 AM
Good job Von, way to kick the pot habit. (hopefully)

Timmy!
08-02-2015, 10:33 AM
Good job Von. I will smoke a J in your honor.

dogfish
08-02-2015, 11:22 AM
wait, what? we were previously told that once a player was in stage three, he was there until the end of his NFL career. . . did that change, or was it mis-reported at the time??

Dzone
08-02-2015, 12:20 PM
He does live in the state where it would be the hardest to abstain from weed. 99% of the population is walking around high...ok, maybe not that much

TXBRONC
08-02-2015, 12:41 PM
wait, what? we were previously told that once a player was in stage three, he was there until the end of his NFL career. . . did that change, or was it mis-reported at the time??

Yeah I remember people saying Miller from now on just one failed drug test away from a year long suspension or worse.

VonDoom
08-02-2015, 01:21 PM

This is a good question. I honestly can't remember any change of policy but I won't complain

TXBRONC
08-02-2015, 01:25 PM
This is a good question. I honestly can't remember any change of policy but I won't complain

Agreed.

Northman
08-02-2015, 01:28 PM
Marijuana discipline: The punishment for a positive test is also changing. As is the case now, a first-time offense lands the player in the substance abuse program without a suspension. The primary difference is the punishment for a second positive test: simply a two-game fine. Each additional violation receives the following progressive discipline: four-game fine, four-game suspension, 10-game suspension. A player can therefore test positive for marijuana three times without getting suspended.

http://www.sbnation.com/nfl/2014/9/19/6559533/nfl-new-drug-policy-details-nflpa

VonDoom
08-02-2015, 01:31 PM
http://www.sbnation.com/nfl/2014/9/19/6559533/nfl-new-drug-policy-details-nflpa

This doesn't say anything about being able to reset your record with a couple of years of clean tests, though. What was Welker suspended for last year? Because this policy went into effect and then he was back after missing only that one game. So I know they did revise some things, I just didn't think they could clear your record. This is now like having points on your driver's license, which actually makes sense.

Denver Native (Carol)
08-02-2015, 01:32 PM
article - Sept 2014

http://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/nfl/2014/09/13/nfl-new-drug-policy-three-things/15571205/

Did not have time to read it all, so not sure if this explains Von's situation or not

Northman
08-02-2015, 01:43 PM
This doesn't say anything about being able to reset your record with a couple of years of clean tests, though. What was Welker suspended for last year? Because this policy went into effect and then he was back after missing only that one game. So I know they did revise some things, I just didn't think they could clear your record. This is now like having points on your driver's license, which actually makes sense.

There is no reset with the record. But there is also no immediate year long suspension. What the link states is that you the more often you are caught the more games you will be suspended for. Since the new policy is basically now in effect Von is no longer under the prior rules for MJ use. HGH is far different and is considered cheating so Welker's suspension was treated accordingly.

VonDoom
08-02-2015, 01:51 PM
There is no reset with the record. But there is also no immediate year long suspension. What the link states is that you the more often you are caught the more games you will be suspended for. Since the new policy is basically now in effect Von is no longer under the prior rules for MJ use. HGH is far different and is considered cheating so Welker's suspension was treated accordingly.

If that's the case, wouldn't this have come out last September? Klis' article specifically uses the word "reset", which is why I said that

Northman
08-02-2015, 01:53 PM
If that's the case, wouldn't this have come out last September? Klis' article specifically uses the word "reset", which is why I said that

Its possible, im not sure. But i would question the Klis article a bit because i really dont think the NFL is going to disregard past history but they may. I would have to read up more on this from hopefully some other added sources to see how true it is. I just cant really see the NFL just wiping the slate clean but its certainly possible.

TXBRONC
08-02-2015, 02:20 PM

Its possible, im not sure. But i would question the Klis article a bit because i really dont think the NFL is going to disregard past history but they may. I would have to read up more on this from hopefully some other added sources to see how true it is. I just cant really see the NFL just wiping the slate clean but its certainly possible.

I think ultimately in some sense there is a reset for all player who have been suspended for things like this. I don't think the League can go use the disciplinary measure of an old policy that is no longer in effect.

Northman
08-02-2015, 02:25 PM
I think ultimately in some sense there is a reset for all player who have been suspended for things like this. I don't think the League can go use the disciplinary measure of an old policy that is no longer in effect.

I dont think they will use the policy that was there previously but i also dont think they will ignore prior history either. I just think that if there was a reset for all players that it would be much bigger news than just one guy reporting it.

TXBRONC
08-02-2015, 03:00 PM
I dont think they will use the policy that was there previously but i also dont think they will ignore prior history either. I just think that if there was a reset for all players that it would be much bigger news than just one guy reporting it.

I think it's not that big of deal compared to domestic violence and Deflategate.

Denver Native (Carol)
08-02-2015, 04:59 PM
Thanks to clean record for the last two years and a revamped NFL drug policy, Broncos outside linebacker Von Miller has been discharged from the league's drug program and will no longer be subject to multiple tests a week, an NFL source confirmed.

Miller was suspended six games in 2013 for violating the league's substance-abuse policy and was placed in Stage 3 of its intervention program.

But he tested clean each time for the last two years.

With the old drug policy it wouldn't have mattered. He would have remained in the program for the rest of his career.

But last September the league and union agreed to a revised policy that allowed players in Stage 3 who have had no failed tests in 24 months to be eligible for discharge.

Should he test positive again, Miller will re-enter Stage 1 of the program and face additional tests but no suspension.

9News first reported his release from the program.

rest - http://www.denverpost.com/broncos/ci_28574928/von-miller-released-from-nfls-drug-program

dogfish
08-02-2015, 05:55 PM
okay, there we go! thanks, carol. . . that is actually some really huge news. . . the kid is an immense talent, it's beyond big to have that monster caveat removed from the rest of his career. . . just hope he realizes how truly lucky he is, and takes advantage of it. . .

:defense:

TXBRONC
08-02-2015, 06:10 PM
okay, there we go! thanks, carol. . . that is actually some really huge news. . . the kid is an immense talent, it's beyond big to have that monster caveat removed from the rest of his career. . . just hope he realizes how truly lucky he is, and takes advantage of it. . .

:defense:

Agreed. If he can keep his nose and stay healthy he's going to be nasty good in Phillips' defense.

Poet
08-02-2015, 06:47 PM
Twenty sacks.

Simple Jaded
08-02-2015, 07:09 PM
I think 2 years clean was policy before they relaxed the punishments, iirc they were reporting this at the time Miller was popped.

TXBRONC
08-02-2015, 07:12 PM
Twenty sacks.

That would be nice.

SR
08-03-2015, 09:46 AM
Twenty sacks.

That would be nice.

TXBRONC
08-03-2015, 09:52 AM
That would be nice.

That would be nice.

Are you mocking me? :viking:

Cugel
08-12-2015, 11:44 AM

Most players get popped for PEDs. Weed certainly isn't a PED so they're not cheating, hence it's considerably less problematic. Miller still broke the rules, but he wasn't trying to gain an unfair competitive advantage over anyone, which completely undermines the entire sport if athletes can do it and get away with it (hence Barry Bonds being a disgrace to baseball and the entire steroids era in baseball making historical records from those years a joke).

The use of PEDs is a serious problem in all sports. Do any of you remember the 1988 100 meter Olympic final between Ben Johnson and Carl Lewis? Johnson looked like a tank due to all the steroids he'd been using and they caught him and stripped him of his gold medal. A few years later he tried to make a comeback and I saw a picture of him and he was just this skinny dude! (He finished last in his heat in the 1992 Olympics).

The NFL is going to have to adapt to a society in which weed is rapidly becoming legal in all states and probably will be decriminalized nationally as well soon.

BroncoNut
08-12-2015, 11:51 AM
Good for you Von. you are my new higher power. don't let me down