PDA

View Full Version : Report: OT Jake Long to meet with Broncos

Denver Native (Carol)
07-29-2015, 07:01 PM
According to New York Daily News NFL and Giants columnist Ralph Vacchiano, tackle Jake Long will visit with the Broncos.

Long, the former No. 1 overall draft pick who was released by the Rams in March, reportedly made his second visit with the Giants on Wednesday and met with the Falcons on Tuesday. The Broncos will cap his NFL meetings, Vacchiano reports.

A standout lineman at the University of Michigan, Long was a consensus first-team All-American in 2006 and then a unanimous first-team All-American in 2007, leading to his selection by the Dolphins as the first overall pick in the 2008 NFL Draft.

rest - http://www.denverbroncos.com/news-and-blogs/article-1/Report-OT-Jake-Long-to-meet-with-Broncos/dda46dbd-c4d6-44a5-a53c-e85047b64c62

SR
07-29-2015, 07:14 PM
Already posted

dogfish
07-29-2015, 09:13 PM
Already posted

they should move that thread here, then. . . this is interesting enough for the "front page" this time of year. . .

:defense:

BroncoWave
07-29-2015, 09:14 PM
i don't see it anywhere. . .

http://www.broncosforums.com/forums/showthread.php/599737-OT-Jake-Long-visiting-Broncos-tonight

TXBRONC
07-29-2015, 09:15 PM
they should move that thread here, then. . . this is interesting enough for the "front page" this time of year. . .

Draft Forum.

Denver Native (Carol)
07-29-2015, 09:24 PM
I posted it in Broncos Talk, as it is related to the Broncos, and did not realize it had been posted in Draft and Free Agency. I reported this to be deleted, and maybe it will, and maybe it won't.

TXBRONC
07-29-2015, 09:27 PM
I posted it in Broncos Talk, as it is related to the Broncos, and did not realize it had been posted in Draft and Free Agency. I reported this to be deleted, and maybe it will, and maybe it won't.

:hug:

VonDoom
07-29-2015, 09:54 PM

I posted it in the draft / free agency forum, but it showed up for me on the home page after that. Did it not show up for everyone else? I wasn't sure if it would be visible, but once I saw it there, I figured it was all good.

BroncoWave
07-29-2015, 09:55 PM
I posted it in the draft / free agency forum, but it showed up for me on the home page after that. Did it not show up for everyone else? I wasn't sure if it would be visible, but once I saw it there, I figured it was all good.

I always browse the forum by "new posts" so I never know which subforum anything is in. I thought everyone did that.

VonDoom
07-29-2015, 10:25 PM
I always browse the forum by "new posts" so I never know which subforum anything is in. I thought everyone did that.

I usually start with the home page, because (I think) it has Bronco-only related stories. After that I noodle around. I guess everyone kind of does things their own way. I wonder if there's a way to simplify everything.

SR
07-29-2015, 10:30 PM

I do that too

Cugel
07-30-2015, 07:38 AM
Well, the chances that Denver signs Jake Long just went up significantly.

The Falcons had Jake Long in for a visit this week, but he went on to meet with other teams (http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2015/07/29/falcons-sign-demarcus-love/)and the Falcons have signed another free agent offensive tackle on Wednesday.

The team announced that DeMarcus Love is the newest member of the roster.

The Giants remain a possibility, but he left there on Wednesday without a contract:

The Giants had Jake Long in for a second visit on Wednesday as they consider their options in the wake of left tackle Will Beatty’s torn pectoral, but the Giants aren’t the only team that lost a player at that spot to injury this offseason.

It will probably come down to which team offers Long more money between Denver and NYG. Long would instantly become favored to start in Denver since his only competition is a rookie. They might offer him something like a $2 million contract, with incentives for every game he starts, incentives for winning the AFC Championship, winning the SB, etc. Peyton has such incentives in his contract, as do others.

Rick
07-30-2015, 07:42 AM

I personally never do that. Don't really care to skim headlines of posts in forums I seldom go to. I always start out in Broncos Talk, then might glance into 1 or 2 others.

Buff
07-30-2015, 10:24 AM

I think you and Carol should mud wrestle to determine whose thread gets to stay.

Denver Native (Carol)
07-30-2015, 02:59 PM
After visiting with free-agent left tackle Jake Long, the Broncos elected not to sign him on Thursday.

The Broncos are interested in creating competition and adding experience on the offensive line. Long, a former 2008 No. 1 draft pick of the Miami Dolphins is a free agent coming off back-to-back torn anterior cruciate ligament injuries. He has been making the rounds, patiently considering his options as he tries to find the best fit. He visited the Atlanta Falcons on Tuesday, followed by a second in-person discussion with the New York Giants on Wednesday before leaving without a contract.

The Broncos have question marks at the tackle position after a season-ending knee injury to Ryan Clady in the offseason. Clady is the longest-tenured Bronco and made four Pro Bowls, including last season after returning from a Lisfranc foot injury.

rest = http://www.denverpost.com/broncos/ci_28561353/jake-long-visit-broncos-could-lead-help-offensive

Davii
07-30-2015, 03:12 PM
Did he take a physical, is it possible he failed? Maybe that knee is held together with duct tape and dreams...

Cugel
07-30-2015, 08:58 PM
Since Long left Denver without a contract, it appears he wants to talk over his options with his agent. He may have some hope that some other team will step in and offer him more money. Meanwhile Denver is "not at this time" considering signing Long. Probably his leaving without a contract was his decision rather than the Broncos, according to Woody Paige after talking with Broncos sources.

I don't know how smart this is. He left Atlanta without a deal, and Atlanta just moved on and signed someone else. The Giants or Denver might do the same thing, which would mean that his options might come down to only 1 team. He seems to think a bidding war is going to start up for his services.

He might also have wanted a guarantee that he'd be the starter, and Elway may only have told him he'd have to win the job in camp over Sambarilo. Not that that should have been a huge problem for him, since the kid's a raw rookie.

BroncoWave
07-30-2015, 09:09 PM
Since Long left Denver without a contract, it appears he wants to talk over his options with his agent. He may have some hope that some other team will step in and offer him more money. Meanwhile Denver is "not at this time" considering signing Long. Probably his leaving without a contract was his decision rather than the Broncos, according to Woody Paige after talking with Broncos sources.

I don't know how smart this is. He left Atlanta without a deal, and Atlanta just moved on and signed someone else. The Giants or Denver might do the same thing, which would mean that his options might come down to only 1 team. He seems to think a bidding war is going to start up for his services.

He might also have wanted a guarantee that he'd be the starter, and Elway may only have told him he'd have to win the job in camp over Sambarilo. Not that that should have been a huge problem for him, since the kid's a raw rookie.

Could also be possible that he's just damaged goods since he left 3 teams without a contract offer. You would think if he showed anything, a team would take a gamble on a #1 overall pick.

ShaneFalco
07-30-2015, 09:20 PM
Did he take a physical, is it possible he failed? Maybe that knee is held together with duct tape and dreams...

the injury was very gruesome. Like i said, i was surprised he is not retiring.

TXBRONC
07-30-2015, 09:31 PM

You make some good points Cugel. I would add that if Long wanted assurance thaf he would be a starter it would be to be the starter at left tackle which more than likely means it would be about money. If Denver signed him it would be so he could be a start but I wouldn't gaurantee that it would be at left tackle. Somewhere I read that because of his back to acl injuries that even if healthy teams be reluctant to put him at left tackle.

TXBRONC
07-30-2015, 09:39 PM
Could also be possible that he's just damaged goods since he left 3 teams without a contract offer. You would think if he showed anything, a team would take a gamble on a #1 overall pick.

I heard he passed a physical with the Giants. I haven't heard how it turned with us or the Falcons. If he is healthy then this probably about money. I could see teams being hesitant to give him a lot of money given that he's had back to back knee injuries.

Simple Jaded
07-30-2015, 11:55 PM
People are speculating that Long is wanting some guaranteed salary that teams are reluctant to consider, according to a report that I just totally made up.

Jsteve01
07-30-2015, 11:59 PM
People are speculating that Long is wanting some guaranteed salary that teams are reluctant to consider, according to a report that I just totally made up. do you work for Dmac?

Simple Jaded
07-31-2015, 12:06 AM
do you work for Dmac?
I literally want to fight him.

Actually, Big Al is so bad that I don't hate Dmac as much as I used to.

TXBRONC
07-31-2015, 05:48 AM
People are speculating that Long is wanting some guaranteed salary that teams are reluctant to consider, according to a report that I just totally made up.

I'm not saying gauranteed salary. My guess is that has to do with starting and possibly starting on the left side which would have salary implications. I understand that is a huge assumption that his knee isn't held together with duct tape and a dream as Davii put it.

Dzone
07-31-2015, 08:53 AM
Sign him. He cant be any more fragile than clady, who destroyed his acl by simply getting up out of his stance

sneakers
07-31-2015, 09:54 AM
How is he not on a team?

VonDoom
07-31-2015, 11:50 AM
How is he not on a team?

As they said above, health issues and/or money issues. Someone will sign him. Same with Mathis. He's probably asking a lot and eventually he'll accept something less than what he wants now. These guys will play somewhere this year.

TXBRONC
07-31-2015, 12:09 PM
As they said above, health issues and/or money issues. Someone will sign him. Same with Mathis. He's probably asking a lot and eventually he'll accept something less than what he wants now. These guys will play somewhere this year.

If he is insisting on playing left tackle I would have a hard time believing that wouldn't be asking for top dollar.

BroncoWave
07-31-2015, 12:18 PM
If he is insisting on playing left tackle I would have a hard time believing that wouldn't be asking for top dollar.

Well soon enough he'll recognize the realities of the market for him and sign for what he's worth at this point if he really wants to play.

TXBRONC
07-31-2015, 12:30 PM
Well soon enough he'll recognize the realities of the market for him and sign for what he's worth at this point if he really wants to play.

Agreed. Then again like you and Davii and others have said maybe he's not physicals and he having hard time admitting it.

Cugel
07-31-2015, 06:18 PM

How does he "show anything"? You mean that they weren't interested because he failed a physical? I would suppose that that information would filter around the NFL. "Giants give a pass to Long after failed physical."

Only, that is apparently not what happened, because of this report:

Long, 30, remains available. The Giants have now looked at him twice, and the door still appears to remain open despite back-to-back seasons with torn ACLs in his right knee. (http://www.nj.com/giants/index.ssf/2015/07/where_does_everything_stand_with_offensive_lineman .html)

"Well, he is obviously a player coming off of a very serious injury," Giants coach Tom Coughlin said when asked where things stood between the team and the free-agent tackle. "He's made progress and that's where it stands."

Progress. That can be viewed as a positive. The Giants were at least intrigued enough after the first visit to bring him back for a second visit and saw progress. It's believed that Long checked out physically to the point where the Giants put him through field tests on Wednesday afternoon.

But the four-time Pro Bowler has been patient with the comeback process. He's not expected to rush into any decisions. Long also visited with the Atlanta Falcons on Tuesday.

The Broncos don't appear to be considering Long "at this time." He may simply have wanted too much money. It doesn't look like the Giants are in any rush either. Long himself wants to take things slow and weigh all his options.

Well, if he waits much longer, his "options" may be to sit out the season and wait for another team to lose a LT and give him a call sometime after the start of the season.

Slick
08-01-2015, 04:55 PM
I'd rather have a healthy rookie than a 30 year old guy with bad knees unless he wants to sign on the cheap. Seems like Elway and Co. feel the same.

Simple Jaded
08-01-2015, 05:18 PM
Unless that healthy rookie is a G.

Slick
08-01-2015, 05:48 PM
Unless that healthy rookie is a G.

Who's a guard?

Denver Native (Carol)
08-01-2015, 06:55 PM
ENGLEWOOD, Colo. -- The Denver Broncos brought veteran tackle Jake Long in for a look, but will not sign the 30-year-old team executive vice president of football operations/general manager John Elway said Thursday afternoon.

“We brought him in, we’re doing out homework on him,’’ Elway said. “ … We’ll continue to look at all our different options in training camp. We wanted to bring him in and take a look at him, but at this point in time we’re not going to make any move.’’

rest - http://espn.go.com/blog/denver-broncos/post/_/id/13845/broncos-interest-in-jake-long-depends-on-longs-health

VonDoom
08-01-2015, 06:57 PM
Who's a guard?

Maybe he means gangsta

Simple Jaded
08-02-2015, 01:26 AM
Who's a guard?

Sambrailo is a G and a gangsta.