PDA

View Full Version : Antonio Smith case unchanged as Broncos consider his status

Denver Native (Carol)
07-27-2015, 04:12 PM
As the Broncos grow closer to making a decision on Antonio's Smith status, his case remains unresolved in Texas.

Despite receiving information from the sheriff's office in February, the Fort Bend County district attorney has not determined whether he will charge Smith in the criminal abuse allegations leveled against him.

"The complaint is still under investigation and no determination has been made to formally charge Mr. Smith at this time," a spokesperson for the Fort Bend, Texas District Attorney's office said Monday.

rest - http://www.denverpost.com/broncos/ci_28545010/antonio-smiths-case-unchanged-broncos-consider-his-future

Cugel
07-27-2015, 06:29 PM
If the status of his case doesn't change, Smith could report to training camp Thursday with the veteran players. The Broncos excused Smith from voluntary offseason workouts to tend to his personal matters. They have remained in contact with him over the past two months and are expected to determine his status soon. If the Broncos decide they need more time to make a decision on Smith he cannot be fined for his absence from training camp.

The Broncos added Smith to bulk up a defensive line that became a bigger question mark with defensive end Derek Wolfe's four-game suspension last Friday for violating the NFL's performance-enhancement drug policy. Smith, who signed a one-year, $2-million contract with a $500,000 signing bonus, ranked among the league's best interior pass rushers last season in Oakland and is familiar with the Broncos' 3-4 scheme after playing for defensive coordinator Wade Phillips and line coach Bill Kollar in Houston.

If the prosecutors hold off on indicting Smith for another 4 months, which could easily happen, they could cut him in November when Wolfe is expected to be back. If they decide not to indict, then they'd have a veteran DE they desperately need for the season.

If he is indicted, then they cut ties with him, and it's not as if they have vastly better options at DE to begin with. I'd say it's a no-brainer to retain him.

Of course, this does not answer the question, do we want somebody on our team who was accused of statutory rape, if that's what the charges are about (i.e. he had sex with an underage girl).

Simple Jaded
07-27-2015, 11:45 PM
Cut him.

Denver Native (Carol)
07-28-2015, 07:41 PM
Antonio Smith will rejoin the Broncos when veterans report Thursday as charges remain absent in a criminal abuse complaint against him in Texas.

After discussions with the league office regarding protocol and procedures of the personal conduct policy and multiple conversations with Smith, the Broncos agreed Tuesday to have the veteran defensive lineman return for training camp.

The Broncos excused Smith from voluntary workouts in May after a legal issue surfaced in Fort Bend County, Texas. The sheriff's office received an allegation of abuse in November 2014, and after an investigation, presented the information to Fort Bend district attorney John Healey in February. Six months later, Healey has not determined whether to pursue or dismiss the case and no charges have been filed.

rest - http://www.denverpost.com/broncos/ci_28551786/antonio-smith-rejoin-broncos-when-veterans-report-camp

Simple Jaded
07-30-2015, 12:33 AM
Dude is Creepy, cut him.

Cugel
07-30-2015, 07:20 AM
It just occurred to me that some "allegations of child-abuse" are just a vengeful ex-spouse or girl-friend trying to get back at some guy who dumped them. Happened to a friend of mine. I'm not saying that is necessarily what happened in this case, but it happens in divorce cases a LOT. He might be guilty, but he might not be too you know.

The fact that the DA hasn't made a charging decision in 6 months at least indicates it's not a slam dunk case. They didn't wait 6 months to indict Jerry Sandusky after the first allegations broke in public.

Al Wilson 4 Mayor
07-30-2015, 09:20 AM
It just occurred to me that some "allegations of child-abuse" are just a vengeful ex-spouse or girl-friend trying to get back at some guy who dumped them. Happened to a friend of mine. I'm not saying that is necessarily what happened in this case, but it happens in divorce cases a LOT. He might be guilty, but he might not be too you know.

The fact that the DA hasn't made a charging decision in 6 months at least indicates it's not a slam dunk case. They didn't wait 6 months to indict Jerry Sandusky after the first allegations broke in public.

That's sort of what I was thinking.

TXBRONC
07-30-2015, 01:32 PM
Dude is Creepy, cut him.

Buff is mega creepy but he gets to stay.

Simple Jaded
07-30-2015, 11:59 PM
Buff is mega creepy but he gets to stay.

Grandfathered in.

TXBRONC
08-01-2015, 03:45 PM
Grandfathered in.

Sometimes that should not be.

Valar Morghulis
08-01-2015, 04:28 PM
I'm going out on a limb here. The guy is guilty as sin. He will go away for a very long term and we will want to be so far away from that when it happens.

Cut him now. Plenty more journey men out there that we can pick up.

Simple Jaded
08-01-2015, 05:25 PM
I'm going out on a limb here. The guy is guilty as sin. He will go away for a very long term and we will want to be so far away from that when it happens.

Cut him now. Plenty more journey men out there that we can pick up.

I'm inclined to agree, I know it's going out on a limb but something is hanky about this dude. His interview yesterday didn't help much either.

I hope he's complete innocent and I'll be eating crow but I'd just as soon he be somewhere else when that day comes.

TXBRONC
08-02-2015, 02:26 PM
Any way you look at it it's a sticky wicket for the Broncos.

Simple Jaded
08-02-2015, 07:12 PM
Claim Tony McDaniels now and cut this dude in final cuts.

Al Wilson 4 Mayor
08-02-2015, 11:57 PM
Claim Tony McDaniels now and cut this dude in final cuts.

Did Seattle wave him?

Simple Jaded
08-03-2015, 12:46 AM
Did Seattle wave him?

http://www.rotoworld.com/player/nfl/4082/tony-mcdaniel

Si, and if the Broncos want him they probably have to claim him with Atlanta seemingly being a more preferable place to play, imo.

Davii
08-03-2015, 08:54 PM
Did Seattle wave him?

Weaved him bad, like a rug.