PDA

View Full Version : Not counting the Broncos, what was the most painful loss of your life as a sports fan?

BroncoWave
07-27-2015, 01:29 PM
Since we all more or less agree on the same 3 or 4 games as the worst Broncos losses, I thought it would be interesting to see what the most painful losses are for other fans.

For me it was Mississippi State's loss in the 2010 SEC basketball championship game to the Kentucky team with John wall and demarcus cousins. We had that game in the bag and the refs missed the most obvious lane violation on the world by John wall on a free throw and we wound up losing by 1 then on the same day fell on the wrong side of the bubble of the NCAA tournament. That was the ultimate double stomach punch.

weazel
07-27-2015, 01:32 PM
Miami Hurricanes getting robbed losing the National title against Ohio St.

Al Wilson 4 Mayor
07-27-2015, 01:35 PM
When the Angels lost a 3-1 series lead to the Red Sox back in 83 or whatever it was. I cried in front of my grandmother. :laugh:

BroncoWave
07-27-2015, 01:36 PM

I'm not even a Miami fan and that made me mad. Worst officiating blunder of all time IMO.

Valar Morghulis
07-27-2015, 01:43 PM
Rangers went undefeated in the champions league in 91 i think, beating the english champions on the way. We needed Marseille to lose but they did not, and we missed out on the final - that was the year Marseille got stripped of their title for bribes.

No scottish team will ever get that fat again. That was pretty bad.

I was also gutted when Hatton lost to Pacman, the Mayweather fight he at least put up a good show, but he got mauled by Mani

Valar Morghulis
07-27-2015, 01:47 PM
Scotalnd lost to England in a European Championship playoff in 1999.

At the time i was living in the south west of england - it was a mental game, but i wanted to beat the english so bad that night. We did not. Gutted.

chazoe60
07-27-2015, 01:53 PM
Rockies being swept in the WS. The Rox were riding an amazing run, one of the greatest in MLB history, and it just came to a neck breaking screeching halt. The fact that it was the ******* Red Sox made it a little worse.

underrated29
07-27-2015, 01:55 PM
The avs lost to the redwings in game 7 and got lit up for like 7 goals.

weazel
07-27-2015, 05:21 PM
Rangers went undefeated in the champions league in 91 i think, beating the english champions on the way. We needed Marseille to lose but they did not, and we missed out on the final - that was the year Marseille got stripped of their title for bribes.

No scottish team will ever get that fat again. That was pretty bad.

I was also gutted when Hatton lost to Pacman, the Mayweather fight he at least put up a good show, but he got mauled by Mani

have hope, Dave. Cheeseburgers, lots of cheeseburgers

ShaneFalco
07-27-2015, 05:48 PM
01 Superbowl.

Poet
07-27-2015, 05:58 PM

:lol::lol:

SR
07-27-2015, 06:29 PM

The playoff loss against the Wild where Andrew Brunette iced Patty Roy's career sticks out to me more than that.

MOtorboat
07-27-2015, 08:24 PM
Rockies being swept in the WS. The Rox were riding an amazing run, one of the greatest in MLB history, and it just came to a neck breaking screeching halt. The fact that it was the ******* Red Sox made it a little worse.

Game 1. Knew they were outmatched.

Poet
07-27-2015, 08:27 PM
2005 AFC Wild Card Game against Pittsburgh. Palmer connects on a deep pass to Chris Henry. Palmer tears his ACL, MCL, PCL, breaks his kneecap as well as dislocating it. Chris Henry also goes out for the game. Palmer went from being an elite talent to just a good talent as a result of that play and being rushed back a season early because of Mike Brown. Pittsburgh wins a game, gets all kinds of momentum and goes on a run that results in a SB victory.

It was just awful to see the guy who was turning around our franchise go down like that. One of the absolute worst things ever.

MOtorboat
07-27-2015, 08:27 PM
The Nuggets-Jazz Game 7 in 1994. The Nuggets-Lakers Game 5 in 2009.

Devilspawn
07-27-2015, 09:12 PM
When the Angels lost a 3-1 series lead to the Red Sox back in 83 or whatever it was. I cried in front of my grandmother. :laugh:
Tragic story. I think that was 1986.

If I can participate and say "non-football", it would be the day I found out Superman was Clark Kent. No lie, I stared at the screen for about a half an hour. I'm STILL shocked lol.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a_bPT0cSQEE

OrangeHoof
07-27-2015, 10:01 PM
Most of my growing up was in Houston and two losses stand out:

1993 Oilers vs Bills playoff when Houston led 35-3 in the third quarter then lost to Buffalo and their backup quarterback.

1983 UH Cougars in the NCAA finals against North Carolina St. Houston had Hakeem, Drexler and oodles of talent, led comfortably most of the game but could not hit their free throws towards the end, allowing the Wolfpack to creep back in it. Even the game-winning shot was an air ball that got redirected into the basket. Then that rat-faced Volvano running around like an idiot.

Dzone
07-27-2015, 10:13 PM
Larry Holmes vs. Gerry Cooney

chazoe60
07-27-2015, 10:41 PM
Also, I've witnessed some pretty tough Rifle Bears losses in the playoffs in recent years, but almost every one of those losses were to teams that should have been in 4A.

Pudge
07-27-2015, 11:44 PM

Beautiful

Dapper Dan
07-28-2015, 12:27 AM
Michigan State beating Tennessee in 2010 in the Elite Eight by 1 point. The best basketball team Tennessee has ever had.

I didn't even watch the game, but in 2011 when Kentucky football beat Tennessee. It was rock bottom and hurt pretty badly.

I used to go to a lot of high school basketball games for my school because my dad kept the score clock. So I became a fan. Also, I had a lot of family that played over the years. I remember watching my cousin her senior year. It was the district tournament. It was being held at the rival school in the same town. They faced the rival school in the district final. It went into 2 overtimes and then they lost. It sucked. I hated it for my cousin. I hated it for the other players I knew. I hated that the rival school won. I hated them and most people that went there. So yeah, that one was pretty bad.

Al Wilson 4 Mayor
07-28-2015, 01:04 AM
Tragic story. I think that was 1986.

It certainly was tragic. Donnie Moore gave up a grand slam late, if I remember correctly, in game 5. He committed suicide less than 12 months later after horrid treatment by some of Orange County 's finest.

Gonzales was almost lucky with that slice swing to chip the ball the other direction. That is not an easy hit.

BroncoWave
07-28-2015, 06:44 AM
Michigan State beating Tennessee in 2010 in the Elite Eight by 1 point. The best basketball team Tennessee has ever had.

I didn't even watch the game, but in 2011 when Kentucky football beat Tennessee. It was rock bottom and hurt pretty badly.

I used to go to a lot of high school basketball games for my school because my dad kept the score clock. So I became a fan. Also, I had a lot of family that played over the years. I remember watching my cousin her senior year. It was the district tournament. It was being held at the rival school in the same town. They faced the rival school in the district final. It went into 2 overtimes and then they lost. It sucked. I hated it for my cousin. I hated it for the other players I knew. I hated that the rival school won. I hated them and most people that went there. So yeah, that one was pretty bad.

My HS basketball team had a rough loss like that as well. We were one win away from making it to State and we went on the road to play an all-black school who had, to put it mildly, very rowdy fans. Cops had to protect our cheering section because their fans were getting very ugly with us. It was such a scary environment our student section didn't even cheer in the first half. Second half we were like screw it and decided to cheer anyway because it was a super close game. We had the ball down to and our best shooter launched a 3 and the buzzer to win the game and it went halfway down and rimmed out. That was utterly heartbreaking. In a way though, it was almost a good thing because we were legitimately scared we'd get murdered on the way to the parking lot had we beaten them.

Our football team had a really rough one as well. We made it to the state championship game two years in a row. The first year we got absolutely demolished but then we made it back the next year and it was a super close game. We had the ball in the last minute down by one score and it was like 4th and goal from the 1. We ran the ball to the right and the side judge on that side called it a touchdown. For some reason, which I will never in my life figure out, the side judge on the complete other side of the field came in and overruled him and said it was short and we lost the game. They showed a replay on the jumbotron and he easily had the ball over the goal line by a good yard or so. To overrule a ref that had a much better view of the play and to be wrong and cost a team a state title because of it might be the worst piece of officiating I have ever seen in any sport.

weazel
07-28-2015, 10:52 AM
September 10, 2001 -- The loss of Ed McCaffery's knee

tubby
07-28-2015, 10:57 AM
1993 NBA Finals. I was really pulling for Barkley and the Suns.

CoachChaz
07-28-2015, 02:12 PM
April 19, 1996. Went to the Texas Rangers game to see them play my O's. Talking shit all day and night to my local Rangers friends. Game starts off great with a Brady Anderson steroid infused leadoff home run. After 7, it's a high scoring, but close 10-7 game...and then the 8th inning. Rangers score 16 runs in the 8th and since I rode with Rangers fans...I am the lone orange shirt in the place to watch all 9 innings of a 26-7 thrashing.

Fast forward to August, 2007. Sitting in the bar having drinks with some of the same and a few other Rangers fans. Only to witness the worst loss in modern MLB history as the same Rangers destroy the Orioles 30-3.

The losses themselves were bad, but considering where I was when they happened, they were completely compounded.

BroncoJoe
07-28-2015, 02:26 PM
30-3?? In a baseball game?

Holy...

Dapper Dan
07-28-2015, 03:07 PM
September 10, 2001 -- The loss of Ed McCaffery's knee

Ugh. That's probably my earliest sports memory :(