PDA

View Full Version : Wade Phillips turns up attack-mode in Broncos' retooled defense

Denver Native (Carol)
07-24-2015, 07:53 PM
Chris Harris did his research. He asked around about the guy — about his style, his ways, his schemes — and quickly learned that the Broncos' new defensive coordinator doesn't mess around.

"I've got some friends that played for the Texans," Harris said. "They just said that he brings the heat."

Wade Phillips, one of the many returning faces along the Broncos' sideline this season, has gone to work altering the look of a defense that ranked among the top three in the NFL last season.

The Broncos' defense was good in 2014, but not good enough when it counted most, in the playoffs. Gone is Jack Del Rio's version of the 4-3. In is Phillips' 3-4, which features a three-linemen, four-linebacker base that is tailored to his players' strengths.

"If your scheme doesn't fit a good player," Phillips said, "then you've got to change your scheme."

rest - http://www.denverpost.com/broncos/ci_28535106/wade-phillips-turns-up-attack-mode-broncos-retooled

Denver Native (Carol)
07-24-2015, 07:55 PM
from same article:

Stopping the run is a priority for Denver. But thwarting the pass is emphasized even more now. Get the quarterback. And attack, attack, attack.

With two of the game's top pass-rushers already in the fold, in Von Miller and DeMarcus Ware; a stout secondary; and a reliable line, the Broncos have the pieces to make the transition. But the addition of rookie edge-rusher Shane Ray could take Denver's defense to another destructive level.

Most teams are lucky to have one great pass rusher. The Broncos believe they have three, and they plan to use them all — often in rotation, occasionally together.

http://www.denverpost.com/broncos/ci_28535106/wade-phillips-turns-up-attack-mode-broncos-retooled

Ziggy
07-24-2015, 08:33 PM
I love pre-season fluff articles. This one however, has some merit. Wade has always been aggressive, and he's never had the kind of pass rushing talent on his roster that he does now. I can't wait to watch this D.

Jsteve01
07-24-2015, 09:18 PM
I love pre-season fluff articles. This one however, has some merit. Wade has always been aggressive, and he's never had the kind of pass rushing talent on his roster that he does now. I can't wait to watch this D. agreed on more excited about this facet of the team than anything else

Simple Jaded
07-25-2015, 02:36 AM
"If your scheme doesn't fit a good player," Phillips said, "then you've got to change your scheme".

*cough*

Shazam!
07-25-2015, 06:37 PM
Seems like this is the case in Denver every year on Offense or Defense, and then an area of the unit is exposed or have debilitating injuries.

CrazyHorse
07-26-2015, 05:57 AM
Cerberus. 3-headed attack with Ware, Miller, and Ray.

TXBRONC
07-26-2015, 05:12 PM
I don't know what Ware has left in the tank because appeared to fade as season wore on. Nevertheless Phillips is capable of finding a way getting something out of Ware as well developing Ray and maximizing Miller's talent.

CrazyHorse
07-26-2015, 09:52 PM
I don't know what Ware has left in the tank because appeared to fade as season wore on. Nevertheless Phillips is capable of finding a way getting something out of Ware as well developing Ray and maximizing Miller's talent.

I'd like to see Ray and Miller as the primary edge rushers and Ware on 3rd downs or in long yardage as the third rusher to use his experience and diagnose weaknesses on the line. Either that or rotating Ray and Ware in those situations. I think that would be the most effective role for him but then again I'm not a coach. It would also keep him fresher for the playoffs.

SR
07-26-2015, 09:57 PM
I'd like to see Ray and Miller as the primary edge rushers and Ware on 3rd downs or in long yardage as the third rusher to use his experience and diagnose weaknesses on the line. Either that or rotating Ray and Miller in those situations. I think that would be the most effective role for him but then again I'm not a coach. It would also keep him fresher for the playoffs.

You never rotate Miller. Ever.

CrazyHorse
07-26-2015, 09:58 PM
You never rotate Miller. Ever.

LOL I meant Ray and Ware. Work a rookie in and give an aging vet rest. Miller is obviously a 3 down player.

TXBRONC
07-26-2015, 10:05 PM
I'd like to see Ray and Miller as the primary edge rushers and Ware on 3rd downs or in long yardage as the third rusher to use his experience and diagnose weaknesses on the line. Either that or rotating Ray and Miller in those situations. I think that would be the most effective role for him but then again I'm not a coach. It would also keep him fresher for the playoffs.

I agree it would keep Ware fresher but I my guess is it will be the other way around. Assuming Ray develops quickly it's plausible that it eventually turns out like what you are suggesting.

NightTerror218
07-26-2015, 10:54 PM
I would hate to be a QB on third and long. I can see Ray and Ware off the edge and miller hitting a gap up the middle.

TXBRONC
07-27-2015, 11:12 AM
I would hate to be a QB on third and long. I can see Ray and Ware off the edge and miller hitting a gap up the middle.

I'm sure there will be all kinds of variations. Miller is one of the best edge rushers in the game so I could see him and Ray coming off the edge and Ware hitting a gap or Miller and Ware coming off the edge and Ray hitting a gap.

Cugel
07-27-2015, 07:01 PM
Seems like this is the case in Denver every year on Offense or Defense, and then an area of the unit is exposed or have debilitating injuries.

Well, that's already happened this year, hasn't it? OL loses Clady for the season, after losing Manny Ramirez and Orlando Franklin in FA. So, as of now, they're starting 3 rookies on the OL.

I wish the Broncos were on Hard Knocks this season. It would be fascinating to look inside the team meetings talking about the development of these players and find out what they're really thinking.

Should be really good training camp battles for not only roster spots, but starting jobs.