PDA

View Full Version : Derek Wolfe suspended four games for PED use

VonDoom
07-24-2015, 12:46 PM
Adam Schefter ‏@AdamSchefter 11m11 minutes ago

Denver DE Derek Wolfe suspended 4 games for violating NFL’s Performance-Enhancing Drug policy. Suspension Friday continues (no Brady news).

STATEMENT RELEASED ON BEHALF OF DEREK WOLFE

"Please allow me to offer my most sincere apology to everyone in the Broncos organization, and especially to my teammates and our fans. During the off-season I took a medication which is on the banned substance list. The medication is not a substance which would enhance my on-field performance in any way, and I genuinely was unaware that it was prohibited, but players are responsible for what is in their bodies. I will certainly exercise far greater caution in the future and will seek advice relating to the permissibility of any and all medications. I’m very disappointed that I can’t help my team for the first four weeks of the season, but I look forward to a great season with the Broncos and can't wait to get back on the field in week five."

-- Derek Wolfe

CoachChaz
07-24-2015, 12:48 PM
The Antonio Smith and Vance Walker acquisitions suddenly make more sense.

Al Wilson 4 Mayor
07-24-2015, 12:55 PM
Shouldn't he be able to get it reduced to 2 games since it's the first time he's been in trouble?

Northman
I hate this team at times......

VonDoom
The Antonio Smith and Vance Walker acquisitions suddenly make more sense.

Except Smith is in limbo given his current situation.

Going back to the "who do we keep?" game - Jackson takes an early edge on Wolfe before the season even starts.

TXBRONC
07-24-2015, 01:41 PM
While I believe Wolfe is sincere like he said he's still responsible for his actions.

Buff
07-24-2015, 01:43 PM
The unfortunate part is that his performance was never actually enhanced.

Makes sense how he was able to put 30 pounds back on in a short period.

TXBRONC
07-24-2015, 01:46 PM
The unfortunate part is that his performance was never actually enhanced.

Makes sense how he was able to put 30 pounds back on in a short period.

He said he took during the offseason. Which one this one or the one they just completed?

Denver Native (Carol)
07-24-2015, 01:47 PM
ENGLEWOOD, Colo. -- The Broncos will lose defensive end Derek Wolfe to a four-game suspension for a violation of the NFL's policy on performance-enhancing drugs, the league announced Friday.

Wolfe can remain with the team throughout training camp and the preseason, but will begin serving his suspension on Sept. 5 at 2 p.m. MDT, when the roster must be trimmed to 53 players. He cannot return to the team until Monday, Oct. 5, one day after the Broncos' Week 4 game against the Minnesota Vikings.

In a statement, Wolfe offered his "most sincere apology" to the Broncos organization, teammates and fans. He noted that the suspension was caused by medication that he took.

"During the offseason I took a medication which is on the banned substance list," he said in the statement. "The medication is not a substance which would enhance my on-field performance in any way and I genuinely was unaware that it was prohibited, but players are responsible for what is in their bodies.

"I will certainly exercise far greater caution in the future and will seek advice relating to the permissibility of any and all medications."

Without Wolfe, a greater burden will fall upon a group of defensive ends led by veterans Malik Jackson and Vance Walker.

rest - http://www.denverbroncos.com/news-and-blogs/article-1/Derek-Wolfe-suspended-for-violation-of-league-policy/8d83fd1d-f48d-401f-8c44-63de636dfc0b

Denver Native (Carol)
07-24-2015, 01:49 PM
Vic Lombardi ‏@VicLombardi 1h

Vic Lombardi retweeted Zombyboy

No. Wolfe only Bronco. Other NFL players to follow.

Vic Lombardi added,

@VicLombardi That stinks. Really disappointing. But, to clarify, are you saying that there are more suspensions coming for Broncos players?

Vic Lombardi ‏@VicLombardi 1h

NFL sources: Broncos Derek Wolfe suspended 4 games for PED violation. Other NFL suspensions coming down as well.

VonDoom
07-24-2015, 01:50 PM
Troy Renck ‏@TroyRenck 1h1 hour ago

No charges have been filed on Antonio smith. As of now I expect in camp. If not team would likely have to cut. Otherwise can file grievance

Lindsay Jones ‏@bylindsayhjones 1h1 hour ago

Once a suspension (like Wolfe's) is announced by league/team, it means appeal is over (or didn't happen).

Lindsay Jones ‏@bylindsayhjones 59m59 minutes ago

All players have access to direct email/phone to doctor that operates drug program for questions about substances. Ignorance not an excuse.

Andrew Mason ‏@MaseDenver 51m51 minutes ago

A potential beneficiary of the Wolfe suspension: Kenny Anunike. Opens a spot up front on the post-camp 53; w/ a strong camp it could be his.

TXBRONC
07-24-2015, 01:56 PM
Troy Renck ‏@TroyRenck 1h1 hour ago

No charges have been filed on Antonio smith. As of now I expect in camp. If not team would likely have to cut. Otherwise can file grievance

Lindsay Jones ‏@bylindsayhjones 1h1 hour ago

Once a suspension (like Wolfe's) is announced by league/team, it means appeal is over (or didn't happen).

Lindsay Jones ‏@bylindsayhjones 59m59 minutes ago

All players have access to direct email/phone to doctor that operates drug program for questions about substances. Ignorance not an excuse.

Andrew Mason ‏@MaseDenver 51m51 minutes ago

A potential beneficiary of the Wolfe suspension: Kenny Anunike. Opens a spot up front on the post-camp 53; w/ a strong camp it could be his.

Yeah it does give player Anunike an opportunity but I don't if he's better than Wolfe.

Denver Native (Carol)
07-24-2015, 02:03 PM
But the biggest challenge for the defensive line without Wolfe could come against the run. The Broncos' new 3-4 alignment will face some challenges in an opening four-game stretch that includes three elite running backs: Baltimore's Justin Forsett, Kansas City's Jamaal Charles and Minnesota's Adrian Peterson.

With formidable runners like those on the docket, some of the task of replacing Wolfe against the run will fall on the Broncos' linebackers and safeties. The inside linebackers will have to engage with more interior offensive linemen than they did last year in the 4-3 alignment, so the Broncos will need outside linebackers Von Miller, DeMarcus Ware and Shane Ray and safety T.J. Ward to be active and aggressive against the run.

Replacing Wolfe's production -- especially against the run -- will take a collective effort, but with Jackson up front and Pro Bowlers at linebacker and safety, the Broncos should be up to it.

http://www.denverbroncos.com/news-and-blogs/article-1/Derek-Wolfe-suspended-for-violation-of-league-policy/8d83fd1d-f48d-401f-8c44-63de636dfc0b

Al Wilson 4 Mayor
07-24-2015, 02:07 PM
We can just start Austin at NT and move Sly to DE in base packages if the situation against the run is really that dire. I wouldn't sell Antonio Smith short however

Valar Morghulis
07-24-2015, 02:16 PM
what a moron

i dont believe him for a second, surely no one can be that stupid.

"hmm, i am a professional athlete, i need some medication, hmmmm maybe i could ask one of the many doctors i have access to in connection with my profession......nah, i will just take some other shit that i dont really know what it is or what it does"

VonDoom
07-24-2015, 02:19 PM
Yeah it does give player Anunike an opportunity but I don't if he's better than Wolfe.

We're looking for silver linings here, right? At this point, there's nothing we can do about Wolfe, so it might be nice if a young guy steps up and gets some game action out of the deal.

We can just start Austin at NT and move Sly to DE in base packages if the situation against the run is really that dire. I wouldn't sell Antonio Smith short however

Again, I'm not sure if Smith is going to be on this team, given his current off the field situation. We could sure use him but I don't think we can count on him being there.

Valar Morghulis
07-24-2015, 02:26 PM
No waay Smith plays this year - dude will be in court

Denver Native (Carol)
07-24-2015, 02:39 PM
Meanwhile, Antonio Smith, also a free-agent acquisition on the Broncos' defensive line, could return to the team for the start of training camp. Smith sat out the Broncos voluntary offseason workouts as Texas prosecutors continued to investigate criminal abuse allegations against him. He hasn't been charged.

If the status of his case doesn't change by Thursday, when veterans are to report to camp, Smith is likely to be there unless the Broncos recommend he stay away. In that case, however, the Broncos could not fine or penalize him for his absence. If Smith decides to challenge any team request that he stay away, he would have to involve the players' association.

http://www.denverpost.com/broncos/ci_28533412/derek-wolfe-suspended-four-games-violating-nfl-performance-enhancing-drugs-policy

Al Wilson 4 Mayor
07-24-2015, 02:49 PM
what a moron

i dont believe him for a second, surely no one can be that stupid.

"hmm, i am a professional athlete, i need some medication, hmmmm maybe i could ask one of the many doctors i have access to in connection with my profession......nah, i will just take some other shit that i dont really know what it is or what it does"

I honestly wasn't overly surprised considering the reports he had trouble putting weight on after the spine injury. I'm disappointed, but I'm not going to berate the guy after everything he's been through.

BroncoWave
07-24-2015, 04:27 PM
Well if he's the only Bronco player hit by these suspensions I can live with that. Of all the positions we could afford to lose someone at, that is pretty high up on the list.

Cugel
07-24-2015, 05:52 PM
We don't know if Texas authorities are really going to indict Antonio Smith or not. Continuing investigation simply means he's a person of interest at this point. They will not be in a huge hurry to decide either, depending on whether there are other potential targets of inquiry and other possible indictments pending or whether the negotiation focuses solely on him.

The complaint is definitely a FELONY in nature - and if he's guilty, it would most certainly end his career.

The complaint filed against Broncos DE Antonio Smith in November is "sexual in nature."
NBC Denver reported Thursday morning that Smith is being investigated for child abuse. The Fort Bend (Texas) County Sheriff's department conducted an investigation before passing its findings onto the DA's office in February. It's unclear if the DA plans to press charges. The Broncos say they are "aware" of the situation. May 21 - 5:35 PM

When a 34 year old player is accused of child abuse of a sexual nature, it probably means he's accused of statutory rape - having sex with a minor. The other possibility is something as horrible as Jerry Sandusky. But, that's probably a very low order of probability here.

The question is why the Ft. Bend, TX DA's office has taken 5 months to make a determination whether to file charges or not. It sounds like there's some complication with the complaint, because normally, they would file charges quicker than that.

On the other hand, if it's a difficult investigation that might explain the delay. In either case, it's not good.

The fact that the Broncos "are aware of the situation" but Smith hasn't been cut yet, could indicate they are awaiting the decision whether to prosecute or not before making a decision whether to sever ties with Smith or not.

Dzone
07-24-2015, 07:45 PM
No big deal. Wolfe is mediocre at best.

tomjonesrocks
07-24-2015, 07:52 PM
GD it Derek. You're a likable cat and been through a lot but if you're going to go this way don't ******* get caught.

Had hopes for an above-average year for Wolfe transitioning to the Phillips 3-4 but he's not the kind of player worth making these kind of headlines for.

Sheesh.

Easy for me to say when it's his NFL career that hangs in the balance -- but get your shit together, Wolfe.

SR
07-24-2015, 08:34 PM

He was the number two ranked end against the run in the NFL last season. He's awesome against the run. Just because he doesn't get double digit sacks and you don't hear his name every play doesn't mean he isn't making a difference.

Denver Native (Carol)
07-24-2015, 08:56 PM

Wolfe accounted for 1.5 sacks last season along with a respectable 23 quarterback hurries. His strength is stopping the run, with only Seattle's Michael Bennett grading out higher in that category among 4-3 ends in 2014, per Pro Football Focus.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000503455/article/broncos-de-derek-wolfe-dealt-fourgame-suspension

Jsteve01
07-24-2015, 09:14 PM

He was the number two ranked end against the run in the NFL last season. He's awesome against the run. Just because he doesn't get double digit sacks and you don't hear his name every play doesn't mean he isn't making a difference. beat me to the punch. Not flashy but a hoss.

Northman
07-24-2015, 09:28 PM
He was the number two ranked end against the run in the NFL last season. He's awesome against the run. Just because he doesn't get double digit sacks and you don't hear his name every play doesn't mean he isn't making a difference.

Meh, i wouldnt pump him up too much either. I think some people just have a soft spot because of some of the unfortunate things that have happened to him in the past. He certainly will be missed because there really isnt a more suitable replacement but he wont be the missing link to the defense either.

SR
07-24-2015, 09:53 PM
Meh, i wouldnt pump him up too much either. I think some people just have a soft spot because of some of the unfortunate things that have happened to him in the past. He certainly will be missed because there really isnt a more suitable replacement but he wont be the missing link to the defense either.

I don't have a soft spot for the guy but to deny that he brings something to the table is ignorant. Your assessment is fair, though.

ShaneFalco
07-24-2015, 10:21 PM
what a liar, no respect for ped users. Every one of them is using this as an excuse now. People are cheating.Its possible Wolfe is one of them. Wouldnt care if they cut him.

ShaneFalco
07-24-2015, 10:23 PM
http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000503455/article/broncos-de-derek-wolfe-dealt-fourgame-suspension

easy to focus on the run when you got ware and miller on the pass.

sneakers
07-24-2015, 11:25 PM
Any puns you can think of involving wolves?

NightTerror218
07-25-2015, 12:31 AM
what a liar, no respect for ped users. Every one of them is using this as an excuse now. People are cheating.Its possible Wolfe is one of them. Wouldnt care if they cut him.

You do realize any drug is considered a ped. Welker was hit with ped suspension from the derby last year.

Simple Jaded
07-25-2015, 02:31 AM
When you violate the Drug Abuse policy you're all good but when you violate the PED policy you gotta go. -- Pearls of pure wisdom from Shane Chronic.

ShaneFalco
07-25-2015, 02:38 AM
There is a difference between taking something to cheat, versus smoking a j at home.

Pure wisdom indeed.

Canmore
07-25-2015, 04:41 AM
There is a difference between taking something to cheat, versus smoking a j at home.

Pure wisdom indeed.

Really? It's against the CBA and hurts the team. They both are incredibly selfish.

ShaneFalco
07-25-2015, 05:26 AM
Taking something with the intent to cheat versus....

you know what.... **** it.

Valar Morghulis
07-25-2015, 05:30 AM

Pure wisdom indeed.

Sorry Shane, but in this case - if you are a professional athlete, both are as bad as each other. These things are bigger than the individual - it hurts the team.

I could not give a **** about who takes what drugs - but if you are part of an organisation that makes it clear it is not tolerated, then it should not be tolerated. Even the military, i dont believe all this shit about flash backs whilst carrying a weapon, or drug induced depression raising suicide levels or even that drugs would limit the fighting force.....but it does not matter what i believe, once you sign the contract, you play by their rules - and if you dont, well hell mend you. For me, same is true here - i am mega pissed off with Wolfe right now. not because i am anti-drugs, but because i am anti stupidity and anti selfishness.

I hope Jackson has a beast of a year and gets paid like a mutha******

ShaneFalco
07-25-2015, 05:51 AM
You do realize any drug is considered a ped. Welker was hit with ped suspension from the derby last year.

That is true, I just feel like everytime a guy gets caught now, they use the same excuse Wolfe did. We call the seahawks the pedhawks, but I think a lot of players get off with this excuse. There are cheaters, not everyone just takes something that is off the list.

Dave i just think taking something to enhance muscle mass in a physical sport is the worst type of cheating.

SR
07-25-2015, 07:52 AM

Irony in its purest form here folks

Shazam!
07-25-2015, 12:42 PM
Broncos will be fine guys, it's at least a position where there is a lotta depth.

Timmy!
07-25-2015, 12:58 PM
Any puns you can think of involving wolves?

There is a Wolfe stuck under a bus in here?

nevcraw
07-25-2015, 12:59 PM
Sucks - I think he would have had a hell of a year but now he will have to play hard from 5 on. mostly the is teams needs less distractions and more focus on getting their stuff straight.. lot's of questions and certainly not the front runners of anything right now. which maybe good, they need to earn every win and be battle tested if the will get o playoffs or even win a game.

Valar Morghulis
07-25-2015, 01:00 PM
Dave i just think taking something to enhance muscle mass in a physical sport is the worst type of cheating.

Maybe from a moral standpoint - but this is not about morality or ethics, it is about the consequences to the team.

ShaneFalco
07-25-2015, 02:15 PM
I never said they were different in terms of consequences because of the rules. Like I said, taking steroids when your a pro athlete, is the worst type of cheating to me. The integrity of the game matters at that point because you will have players with an unnatural physical advantage over other players

Al Wilson 4 Mayor
07-25-2015, 02:34 PM
That is true, I just feel like everytime a guy gets caught now, they use the same excuse Wolfe did. We call the seahawks the pedhawks, but I think a lot of players get off with this excuse. There are cheaters, not everyone just takes something that is off the list.

Yes, however I can understand why he did it after he had trouble keeping eight on related to the spinal injury

I'm not justifying it, but I understand why he might have justified to himself.

Simple Jaded
07-25-2015, 10:08 PM
I hear they're finally gonna drug test gaming, smh, is nothing sacred?

ShaneFalco
07-25-2015, 10:09 PM
yea they are. for speed. Because people were taking adderoll and ritalin before the competitions.

Simple Jaded
07-25-2015, 10:15 PM
Check for hippy lettuce too.

TXBRONC
07-26-2015, 06:52 PM
We're looking for silver linings here, right? At this point, there's nothing we can do about Wolfe, so it might be nice if a young guy steps up and gets some game action out of the deal.

Again, I'm not sure if Smith is going to be on this team, given his current off the field situation. We could sure use him but I don't think we can count on him being there.

There is nothing wrong with looking for a silver lining.

TXBRONC
07-26-2015, 09:52 PM
When you violate the Drug Abuse policy you're all good but when you violate the PED policy you gotta go. -- Pearls of pure wisdom from Shane Chronic.

Chronic's idea of wisdom is generally in opposition to the rest of the world.

ShaneFalco
07-26-2015, 10:53 PM
I know right??? Obviously the rest of the world thinks using steroids is the same as substance abuse.

i am also glad that you speak for the world. And not just the 7 neo con hicks on this forum.

SR
07-26-2015, 11:22 PM
I know right??? Obviously the rest of the world thinks using steroids is the same as substance abuse. i am also glad that you speak for the world. And not just the 7 neo con hicks on this forum.

Let's not turn this thread in to name calling and baiting.

TXBRONC
07-27-2015, 07:49 AM
I know right??? Obviously the rest of the world thinks using steroids is the same as substance abuse.

i am also glad that you speak for the world. And not just the 7 neo con hicks on this forum.

I don't speak for the rest of the rest of the world but neither do I go on cursades trying tell people how and what to think.

ShaneFalco
07-27-2015, 05:18 PM
Maybe you should reread the thread and see who really brought it up then

TXBRONC
07-27-2015, 06:05 PM
Maybe you should reread the thread and see who really brought it up then

Nah, why don't we just move on.

Cugel
07-27-2015, 06:40 PM
You guys realize that Wolfe was NOT popped for taking PEDs the drug he was accused of taking is actually a "masking agent", that is a drug that has the secondary effect of making it more difficult to detect the presence of PEDs in the blood-stream, not a PED itself.

So, by inference, maybe he was perhaps taking some PEDs but there's zero direct evidence of that.

It's not that he was caught taking some drug that gave him a competitive advantage, it gave zero competitive advantage. You can't jump to the conclusion that he WAS taking PEDs, it's just that the league has said "no drugs that might qualify as masking agents even if they have an otherwise legitimate medical use."

You can understand the league rule.

But, it's not as if Wolfe was accused of having raped some drunk girl in the women's room of a club, been caught at the airport with "the Original Whizzinator" in his bag, or run over a meter-maid with his car because she dared to write him a parking ticket.

Bonus points if you can identify the NFL players those things happened to: Answer below:

1. Aaron Rodgers.
2. Onterio Smith
3. Randy Moss

SR
07-27-2015, 06:42 PM
It's not safe to assume he was taking PED when he was caught taking a masking agent? Right.

Cugel
07-27-2015, 06:46 PM
It's not safe to assume he was taking PED when he was caught taking a masking agent? Right.

The masking agent has a legitimate medical use as well, and it has to be prescribed and pass through FDA trials. It's not as if the ONLY use for that drug is to mask the presence of PEDs in athletes.

The league has an impossible task trying to administer the drug policy if players can point to some legitimate medical need for a drug, but that drug has the side-effect of acting as a masking agent. So, they make it a black and white rule.

Understandable. He violated the rule. Period.

But, no that does NOT prove that he was taking a performance enhancing drug at all.

In fact the league did not so find. Whether he did or not is totally irrelevant in this case. They didn't have to prove that to suspend him.

SR
07-27-2015, 07:21 PM
The masking agent has a legitimate medical use as well, and it has to be prescribed and pass through FDA trials. It's not as if the ONLY use for that drug is to mask the presence of PEDs in athletes. The league has an impossible task trying to administer the drug policy if players can point to some legitimate medical need for a drug, but that drug has the side-effect of acting as a masking agent. So, they make it a black and white rule. Understandable. He violated the rule. Period. But, no that does NOT prove that he was taking a performance enhancing drug at all. In fact the league did not so find. Whether he did or not is totally irrelevant in this case. They didn't have to prove that to suspend him.

Yeah. I remember a certain Avalanche goalie getting busted for taking propecia. In his early 20s. Sure he was.

ShaneFalco
07-27-2015, 07:27 PM
Cug i think in an age when a player can call a doctor and ask about any product with a 5 min phone call.

Its inexcusable for guy after guy, to use this an excuse. People do use PEDs. Not a new thing.

Cugel
07-27-2015, 07:34 PM
Yeah. I remember a certain Avalanche goalie getting busted for taking propecia. In his early 20s. Sure he was.

:laugh: Hey, I knew this guy who was losing his hair in high-school at the age of 17, so you never know!

Probably bald as a cucumber by now.

SR
07-27-2015, 07:40 PM
:laugh: Hey, I knew this guy who was losing his hair in high-school at the age of 17, so you never know! Probably bald as a cucumber by now.

If you knew which goalie I was talking about, most men in this world were jealous of his hair. His hair was better than Uncle Jesse from Full House.

Simple Jaded
07-27-2015, 11:41 PM
But, it's not as if Wolfe was accused of having raped some drunk girl in the women's room of a club, been caught at the airport with "the Original Whizzinator" in his bag, or run over a meter-maid with his car because she dared to write him a parking ticket.

Bonus points if you can identify the NFL players those things happened to: Answer below:

1. Aaron Rodgers.
2. Onterio Smith
3. Randy Moss

Wait? You're saying Rodgers raped a chick in a bathroom?

Denver Native (Carol)
07-28-2015, 10:23 AM
http://www.1043thefan.com/2015/07/28/derek-wolfe-fan-morning-show/

Al Wilson 4 Mayor
07-28-2015, 10:39 AM
http://www.1043thefan.com/2015/07/28/derek-wolfe-fan-morning-show/

Did you listen to it Carol? Would you be willing to provide a recap?

Buff
07-28-2015, 10:42 AM
Did you listen to it Carol? Would you be willing to provide a recap?

In which he awkwardly tries to explain away some mysterious pill he took that caused him to fail his test. Painful charade - we know he's lying, he knows he's lying, but I guess this is standard protocol for a guy to deny so that he can get paid down the road.

Cugel
07-28-2015, 11:49 AM
Wait? You're saying Rodgers raped a chick in a bathroom?

Total Brain Fart.

The minute I looked back on that I realized I wrote Aaron Rodgers rather than Ben Roethlisberger. No excuses.

But, it was a star QB with a SB ring that did it still, and he's still in the league with basically no repercussions.

And Randy Moss never seemed to have anything happen at all to him for running over the meter-maid. I can't see that what I think was the most outrageous incident ever involving a football player was even disciplined. '

Most fans don't even know about it at all! He saw her writing him a parking ticket and tried to smooth talk her out of it - because he's a super-celebrity, don't you know and the rules don't apply to important people like him. Only she ignored him and kept writing the ticket.

And that set him totally off. "Don't you know who I am!?" He got in his car and started driving off, right over her.

Nothing seemed to happen to him at all. I think he was charged with a misdemeanor that he got rid of somehow and I can't find that anybody much cared.

SR
07-28-2015, 11:52 AM
Total Brain Fart. The minute I looked back on that I realized I wrote Aaron Rodgers rather than Ben Roethlisberger. No excuses. But, it was a star QB with a SB ring that did it still, and he's still in the league.

Remember, you called me an idiot yesterday.

Cugel
07-28-2015, 11:59 AM
In which he awkwardly tries to explain away some mysterious pill he took that caused him to fail his test. Painful charade - we know he's lying, he knows he's lying, but I guess this is standard protocol for a guy to deny so that he can get paid down the road.

There was no point in his lying, because the league rules are that the penalty for taking a drug on the banned substances list because it's a masking agent, is exactly the same as for taking a banned substance that is a PED. Same penalty - in this case 4 game suspension for a 1st time offense.

They made it a blanket rule so that they didn't have to deal with all the permutations of "I didn't know it was on the list and I was just taking a prescribed medication."

So, if he's lying, it's was a worthless lie. He might as well have admitted the truth and said "I took some PEDs in order to recover from my back injury and severe nerve damage that threatened my career."

The penalty wouldn't have been any worse.