PDA

View Full Version : Manning methodical in decision to return

VonDoom
07-21-2015, 09:30 PM
As Manning wrapped up his offseason work last month, with training camp on the horizon, he broke down why he decided to return for his 18th NFL season. In the end it came down to mind, body and spirit.

The first step, of course, was finding out whether the Broncos -- who had parted ways with coach John Fox and several assistants after that early playoff departure in January -- wanted him back.

"There were two times in my career when I didn't really know what was going to happen, it was four years ago with the [neck] injury with the Colts and then this past offseason, kind of what direction are they heading in here and am I a part of it?" Manning said. "There was a bit of that unknown. ... I think people like to know what's going on, what direction they're going, where I fit in, do I fit in?

http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/13267788/denver-broncos-quarterback-peyton-manning-went-checklist-returning

Valar Morghulis
07-22-2015, 12:37 AM
2015 mvp.

TXBRONC
07-22-2015, 08:23 AM
I wouldn't be surprised if he retires at the end of the season.

Magnificent Seven
07-22-2015, 11:20 PM
I wouldn't be surprised if he retires at the end of the season.

Season 2016 will be Manning's final season. Not this season.

CrazyHorse
07-26-2015, 06:09 AM

I hope so. I'd love nothing more for him to retire with back to back Super Bowls just like Elway.

Valar Morghulis
07-26-2015, 06:12 AM
I hope so. I'd love nothing more for him to retire with back to back Super Bowls just like Elway.

Yeah - me too, it would be such a nice way to cement the legacy of one of the classiest guys ever. Then he could retire a Bronco #****thecolts

Cugel
07-28-2015, 12:07 PM

He said all along that he intended to play out his contract, and his contract extends through next season. He reiterated that insistence during last season - right up to the time when he got hurt and his performance fell off.

Then the team lost a playoff game to Indy because all the coaches were packing their bags to get an early start out of town, because they didn't want to miss out on their next coaching jobs. So, naturally, Peyton questioned whether he should come back.

His coming back in 2016 will simply depend on whether he plays well in 2015, and that depends almost entirely on the OL.

Can they block or not?

I suppose there's even a chance that he could return and play in 2017 if this new system works. I would bet against it now, but it could certainly happen that Elway would replay that conversation he had with Mike Shanahan where Shanny was trying to convince John to come back for 1 more year in 1999 - only, in an ironical twist, with Elway on the other side of the conversation.