PDA

View Full Version : Demaryius Thomas, Broncos still searching for middle ground as deadline nears

Pages : [1] 2

Denver Native (Carol)
07-07-2015, 04:19 PM
John Elway, the quarterback, excelled at coloring outside the lines. No one improvised better with alarms blaring and seconds ticking down to conclusion.

John Elway, the general manager, excels with strong football acumen, unique business perspective and discipline.

He signed, drafted or negotiated a contract with every player on the Broncos' current roster. Except for one: wide receiver Demaryius Thomas.

The Broncos placed their $12.82 million franchise tag on Thomas in March and have until 2 p.m. on July 15 to secure a long-term deal. If not, Thomas can sign the one-year contract and play on the guaranteed tag this season. Elway sits two-for-two in these situations, having worked out deals with kicker Matt Prater and left tackle Ryan Clady.

rest - http://www.denverpost.com/broncos/ci_28447139/demaryius-thomas-broncos-still-searching-middle-ground-deadline

weazel
07-07-2015, 04:20 PM
gotta get this done

Valar Morghulis
07-07-2015, 04:36 PM
Leave him franchised

UnderArmour
07-07-2015, 04:41 PM
He's good, but he isn't worth Calvin Johnson money. The only player Elway can give a $16 million+ annual contract to right now is Von Miller, and that's only if he produces big next year. The Lions had to pay Calvin because of the ridiculous rookie contract situation coupled with his franchise tag number. Dez Bryant and DT are finding out there is no way they are going to match Megatron's deal. Best case scenario is for Dez to be signed by this weekend so Elway and DT's agent can just copy it.

underrated29
07-07-2015, 04:48 PM
Im sure we will get him for around 14mil per

BroncoJoe
07-07-2015, 05:30 PM
But we don't sign drafted players to new contracts!

Sincerely,

MO

BroncoWave
07-07-2015, 08:04 PM

Sincerely,

MO

This will be a nice post if we actually sign DT. But until then, he ain't wrong.

SR
07-07-2015, 08:19 PM
IMO, he will sign his tag this year and walk next year to continue the streak of not signing home grown talent.

Denver Native (Carol)
07-07-2015, 08:30 PM
from Yahoo article:

Could a deal for Dez Bryant with the Dallas Cowboys in the next days create a more realistic ballpark for Thomas? Sure. And there's no question both Bryant and Thomas deserve more than the No. 2 earning wide receiver, Mike Wallace, whose contract has created umpteen headaches for NFL negotiators the league around.

full article - http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/nfl-shutdown-corner/report--demaryius-thomas-wants-calvin-johnson-money--and-good-luck-with-that-154223200.html

MOtorboat
07-07-2015, 08:56 PM

Sincerely,

MO

I'm not really sure what to tell you here, Joe, because the Broncos have signed three players to a second contract or an extension in the last 10 drafts. Two (Chris Kuper and Ryan Clady) were signed by McDaniels and one (Virgil Green) was signed by Elway.

VonDoom
07-07-2015, 09:52 PM
I'm not really sure what to tell you here, Joe, because the Broncos have signed three players to a second contract or an extension in the last 10 drafts. Two (Chris Kuper and Ryan Clady) were signed by McDaniels and one (Virgil Green) was signed by Elway.

That's a terrible trend.

BroncoWave
07-07-2015, 09:55 PM

Damn, I had no idea it was that bad. That's incredibly poor. I wonder what the stats are on that for other top teams like the Pats, Steelers, Packers, etc over that time.

MOtorboat
07-07-2015, 10:06 PM
Someone will counter with Chris Harris. Four in 10 years still isn't good IMO.

BroncoWave
07-07-2015, 10:09 PM
If I had to put money on it right now, we let DT walk but give Miller an extension next year. I'd honestly rather extend Miller if I could only pick one, but it would be nice to keep both.

EMB6903
07-08-2015, 12:02 AM
If I had to put money on it right now, we let DT walk but give Miller an extension next year. I'd honestly rather extend Miller if I could only pick one, but it would be nice to keep both.

I'm totally fine with letting DT walk.

I'd rather sign Von and Malik to long term extensions.

I'm a big fan of DT just not sold on paying any wr 10+ mil per year.

dogfish
07-08-2015, 12:14 AM

dumervil, chris harris, colquitt, prater, just off the top of my head. . . plus david bruton. . . yea, pretty bad, though. . . denver has been terrible at drafting for a long time now, through several regimes. . .

MOtorboat
07-08-2015, 12:17 AM
dumervil, chris harris, colquitt, prater, just off the top of my head. . .

You got me on Dumervil. None of the rest were drafted. I was specific about that for a reason, because that's what Elway said in his initial press conference.

MOtorboat
07-08-2015, 12:18 AM
Dumervil was also drafted by Shanahan and signed by McDaniels. So we're still on 1 for Elway.

EMB6903
07-08-2015, 12:20 AM
Someone will counter with Chris Harris. Four in 10 years still isn't good IMO.

David bruton, Elvis Dumervil...

dogfish
07-08-2015, 12:23 AM
Dumervil was also drafted by Shanahan and signed by McDaniels. So we're still on 1 for Elway.

well, if you're just grading elway, it's probably fair to mention that he's only HAD one of his draft classes come up for extensions. . . guys like von and roby will get extended when their time comes. . . you can't blame him for letting julius thomas and rahim moore go given the circumsances. . . but yea, we do need to draft better. . .

MOtorboat
07-08-2015, 12:23 AM
So we're all the way up to 5 and 4 were signed by McDaniels. 5 in 10 years is still a terrible number.

MOtorboat
07-08-2015, 12:25 AM
well, if you're just grading elway, it's probably fair to mention that he's only HAD one of his draft classes come up for extensions. . . guys like von and roby will get extended when their time comes. . . you can't blame him for letting julius thomas and rahim moore go given the circumsances. . . but yea, we do need to draft better. . .

I assume after Manning retires he'll sign a few more home grown players and as long as they win its fine. But to me, it's a little troubling that only 5 players in 10 years got a 2nd contract.

EMB6903
07-08-2015, 12:25 AM

Elways draft picks just hit the market this year. Franklin and rahim got paid. there were teams that valued Elways picks.

Dapper Dan
07-08-2015, 12:29 AM
For reference, here are the Broncos' drafts since 2005.

2014 1 Bradley Roby DB
2014 2 Cody Latimer WR
2014 3 Michael Schofield OL
2014 5 Lamin Barrow LB
2014 6 Matt Paradis OL
2014 7 Corey Nelson LB
2013 1 Sylvester Williams DT
2013 2 Montee Ball RB
2013 3 Kayvon Webster DB
2013 5 Quanterus Smith DE
2013 5 Tavarres King WR
2013 6 Vinston Painter OL
2013 7 Zac Dysert QB
2012 2 Derek Wolfe DT
2012 2 Brock Osweiler QB
2012 3 Ronnie Hillman RB
2012 4 Omar Bolden DB
2012 4 Philip Blake OL
2012 5 Malik Jackson DT
2012 6 Danny Trevathan LB
2011 1 Von Miller LB
2011 2 Rahim Moore DB
2011 2 Orlando Franklin OL
2011 3 Nate Irving LB
2011 4 Quinton Carter DB
2011 4 Julius Thomas TE
2011 6 Mike Mohamed LB
2011 7 Virgil Green TE
2011 7 Jeremy Beal DL
2010 1 Demaryius Thomas WR
2010 1 Tim Tebow QB
2010 2 Zane Beadles G
2010 3 J.D. Walton C
2010 3 Eric Decker WR
2010 5 Perrish Cox DB
2010 6 Eric Olsen C
2010 7 Syd'Quan Thompson DB
2010 7 Jammie Kirlew DE
2009 1 Knowshon Moreno RB
2009 1 Robert Ayers DE
2009 2 Alphonso Smith DB
2009 2 Darcel McBath DB
2009 2 Richard Quinn TE
2009 4 David Bruton DB
2009 4 Seth Olsen G
2009 5 Kenny McKinley WR
2009 6 Tom Brandstater QB
2009 7 Blake Schlueter C
2008 1 Ryan Clady T
2008 2 Eddie Royal WR
2008 4 Kory Lichtensteiger C
2008 4 Jack Williams DB
2008 5 Ryan Torain RB
2008 5 Carlton Powell DT
2008 6 Spencer Larsen LB
2008 7 Josh Barrett DB
2008 7 Peyton Hillis FB
2007 1 Jarvis Moss DE
2007 2 Tim Crowder DE
2007 3 Ryan Harris T
2007 4 Marcus Thomas DT
2006 1 Jay Cutler QB
2006 2 Tony Scheffler TE
2006 4 Brandon Marshall WR
2006 4 Elvis Dumervil DE
2006 4 Domenik Hixon WR
2006 5 Chris Kuper OG
2006 6 Greg Eslinger C
2005 2 Darrent Williams DB
2005 3 Karl Paymah DB
2005 3 Domonique Foxworth DB
2005 3 Maurice Clarett RB
2005 6 Chris Myers G
2005 7 Paul Ernster K

topscribe
07-08-2015, 12:30 AM
Not a big Woody fan, but I like what he said about DT: Franchise him twice then get rid of him.
The Broncos are much deeper at WR than the average fan seems to think. And I would rather
see them develop the interior lines and, of course, future QB.

MOtorboat
07-08-2015, 12:34 AM
Not a big Woody fan, but I like what he said about DT: Franchise him twice then get rid of him.
The Broncos are much deeper at WR than the average fan seems to think. And I would rather
see them develop the interior lines and, of course, future QB.

Only if Latimer steps up. If he doesn't, the position is quite shallow past Sanders and Thomas.

dogfish
07-08-2015, 12:38 AM
I assume after Manning retires he'll sign a few more home grown players and as long as they win its fine. But to me, it's a little troubling that only 5 players in 10 years got a 2nd contract.

i don't disagree with you in theory, but that's what happens when you have bad management. . . your boy mcdaniels is more to blame than anyone-- he shipped out most of our recent draft picks with zero effort at developing them, and then left elway with a bunch of garbage besides DT and decker. . . with the roster getting basically gutted twice in five years, yea, it is gonna look that way. . .

if elway brings in some journeyman vet after manning, i will very much share your concern. . . but i think the unprecedented opportunity to get PFE was a MORE than understandable reason for diverting from the draft-and-develop strategy. . . i'd be a lot more disappointed if we wouldn't try to make a run under the circumstances. . . this can potentially be a very different conversation in three years, but for now i'm not sweating it too badly. . . i would guess that at least one of wolfe and jackson earns an extension this coming off-season, and i bet trevathan would have been in line for one if his knee had held up. . . sylvester williams is another candidate. . . i think we'll see it happening in the next couple of years. . .

MOtorboat
07-08-2015, 12:41 AM
i don't disagree with you in theory, but that's what happens when you have bad management. . . your boy mcdaniels is more to blame than anyone-- he shipped out most of our recent draft picks with zero effort at developing them, and then left elway with a bunch of garbage besides DT and decker. . . with the roster getting basically gutted twice in five years, yea, it is gonna look that way. . .

if elway brings in some journeyman vet after manning, i will very much share your concern. . . but i think the unprecedented opportunity to get PFE was a MORE than understandable reason for diverting from the draft-and-develop strategy. . . i'd be a lot more disappointed if we wouldn't try to make a run under the circumstances. . . this can potentially be a very different conversation if three years, but for now i'm not sweating it too badly. . . i would guess that at least one of wolfe and jackson earns an extension this coming off-season, and i bet trevathan would have been in line for one if his knee had held up. . . sylvester williams is another candidate. . . i think we'll see it happening in the next couple of years. . .

Elway has let go of much better talent than McDaniels, so let's not get too crazy.

I'll completely reserve judgment as long as Elway wins and until Manning retires, but I'll definitely point it out that the track record has not been good, and it's actually been worse with Elway.

topscribe
07-08-2015, 12:44 AM
Only if Latimer steps up. If he doesn't, the position is quite shallow past Sanders and Thomas.
Well, it would appear that way, but it is my understanding that Norwood and Fowler really
impressed. I mean, look at the WR corps of the Patriots and Seahawks, respectively --
the SB champions of the last two years, as you know. How much fear to they strike in the
hearts of opposing secondaries?

MOtorboat
07-08-2015, 12:51 AM
Well, it would appear that way, but it is my understanding that Norwood and Fowler really
impressed. I mean, look at the WR corps of the Patriots and Seahawks, respectively --
the SB champions of the last two years, as you know. How much fear to they strike in the
hearts of opposing secondaries?

We have two sure things. And three maybes. And nothing at tight end. I'm not worried about how the Seahawks roster or Patriots rosters looked in the past. That Seahawks roster had better receivers than Norwood or Fowler (I'll admit, I know nothing about Fowler), for sure and the Broncos don't have Gronk, they jettisoned that option.

topscribe
07-08-2015, 12:55 AM
We have two sure things. And three maybes. And nothing at tight end. I'm not worried about how the Seahawks roster of Patriots rosters looked in the past. That Seahawks roster had better receivers than Norwood or Fowler (I'll admit, I know nothing about Fowler), for sure and the Broncos don't have Gronk, they jettisoned that option.
Well, Mo, Daniels is a two-time Pro-Bowler. I would think that is a bit better than
"nothing" at TE. And the FO seems to have a very high opinion of Green, judging
from the contract they gave him (but then, there's the Colquitt contract, so one
would have to wonder). But two years' of franchise tags on DT ought to be
enough to prepare the position for the future, shouldn't it?

MOtorboat
07-08-2015, 12:59 AM
Well, Mo, Daniels is a two-time Pro-Bowler. I would think that is a bit better than
from the contract they gave him (but then, there's the Colquitt contract, so one

Sorry, I'm not sold on Daniels. Green was fantastic at keeping the shitastic offensive line usable last year, so there's that.

topscribe
07-08-2015, 01:02 AM
Sorry, I'm not sold on Daniels. Green was fantastic at keeping the shitastic offensive line usable last year, so there's that.
Well, we can always hope. But at least we can have DT this year through the blessing of Franchise.

MOtorboat
07-08-2015, 01:03 AM
Well, we can always hope. But at least we can have DT this year through the blessing of Franchise.

For this year, yes. I imagine Miller will be Franchised next year, so it would be nice if Denver would get a deal done with Thomas now.

topscribe
07-08-2015, 01:07 AM
For this year, yes. I imagine Miller will be Franchised next year, so it would be nice if Denver would get a deal done with Thomas now.
I think DT and Dez Bryant are playing a waiting game on each other . . .

dogfish
07-08-2015, 01:15 AM
Elway has let go of much better talent than McDaniels, so let's not get too crazy.

stop it, MO. . . jay cutler was awesome!

MOtorboat
07-08-2015, 01:24 AM
I think DT and Dez Bryant are playing a waiting game on each other . . .

I'd agree. I've also read that Mike Wallace's contract has basically ****** up all other wide receiver negotiations.

MOtorboat
07-08-2015, 01:24 AM
stop it, MO. . . jay cutler was awesome!

Something like that.

MOtorboat
07-08-2015, 01:39 AM
Ironically, it was in this thread...

from Yahoo article:

full article - http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/nfl-shutdown-corner/report--demaryius-thomas-wants-calvin-johnson-money--and-good-luck-with-that-154223200.html

Magnificent Seven
07-08-2015, 02:28 AM
Trade DT for Dez Bryant? :D

MOtorboat
07-08-2015, 02:33 AM
Trade DT for Dez Bryant? :D

Hell no.

SR
07-08-2015, 04:11 AM
I'm totally fine with letting DT walk. I'd rather sign Von and Malik to long term extensions. I'm a big fan of DT just not sold on paying any wr 10+ mil per year.

Unfortunately for you, all premier WRs are gonna make over $10M per in today's NFL. Saying you're "totally fine" letting an all pro talent like DT walk because of a personal opinion about how much a WR makes is silly. DT is one of the top five beat at his position and should be paid accordingly. Peyton will be gone soon and who ever the new QB is after that will need someone like DT to lean on.

Dapper Dan
07-08-2015, 04:39 AM
No WR making $10 million or more has a Super Bowl ring. Hopefully DT will be the one. We'll see.

BroncoWave
07-08-2015, 06:39 AM

I'll completely reserve judgment as long as Elway wins and until Manning retires, but I'll definitely point it out that the track record has not been good, and it's actually been worse with Elway.

Oh shit, it just got real in here!

BroncoJoe
07-08-2015, 06:58 AM
MO, are you more upset we're not re-signing guys we drafted or that we're drafting poorly?

If it's the not re-signing - who exactly have we let go that you believe we should have re-signed?

Cugel
07-08-2015, 07:24 AM

It's possibly better for the Broncos to re-sign Miller to a long-term extension and franchise DT again. But, he might not sign a second franchise contract. In fact, he might sit out the season this year and refuse to sign the franchise tender, but that is unlikely.

It will be tough though to get Miller's huge contract re-done by the start of the March free-agency period though, which would be necessary if they were to use the franchise tag on DT again.

So, the most probable scenario is DT signing the franchise contract this season, becoming an unrestricted FA next year, and the Broncos would have to compete with other teams to re-sign him. They might possibly succeed because DT is not going to get more money than Megatron from ANYBODY. If that's what he really wants, he's flat not going to get it. Period.

So, if the Broncos offered him somewhere around $14 million a year they might well be competitive with what other teams would offer.

However, if Peyton retires at the end of this season, the Broncos are going to be re-building next year anyway with a rookie QB who has probably never started an NFL game in Brock Osweiler. So, would they want to commit such a huge amount of their budget to one WR?

Possibly not. Like Julius Thomas last year, it's likely that D.T. is playing his last year in Denver and they will not re-sign him long-term.

If the team is going to suck in Brocks' first year anyway, because he's a rookie and rookie QBs are not ever great, it probably doesn't even make sense to pay any WR that much money to begin with.

Cugel
07-08-2015, 07:26 AM

Daniels is pretty old though, and it's questionable how much he has left. As for re-signing DT to a second franchise tag contract, that's unlikely for the reasons I point out in my post directly above.

BroncoWave
07-08-2015, 07:53 AM
Mo's post led me to do a little research. I wanted to see how many of our drafted players over the last 10 years have been pro bowlers, and who we signed compared to who we let go. And I want to see how that breaks down by regime. Fun little experiment.

Pro Bowlers:

Elvis Dumervil
Brandon Marshall
Jay Cutler
Ryan Clady
Demaryius Thomas
Julius Thomas

So in terms of pro bowlers drafted, the McD regime had 4 players up for new deals and retained two, a 50% rate. The Elway regime has only had two so far, and is 0/1 with a franchise tag on the other. So really, there is still to little data to reach any sort of determination here.

Let's expand the criteria to players who were consistent starters to see the talent retained/let go.

Chris Kuper
Elvis Dumervil
Brandon Marshall
Tony Scheffler
Jay Cutler
Ryan Harris
Ryan Clady

These were the draftees who were solid starters and came up for a second deal under McDaniels. He signed Kuper, Doom, and Clady to new deals, so that's 3/7 or 43%.

Eddie Royal
David Bruton
Knowshon Moreno
Eric Decker
Virgil Green
Julius Thomas
Nate Irving
Orlando Franklin
Rahim Moore

These are the draftees who have been solid starters and come up for a new contract under Elway. He kept Bruton and Virgil Green (and I'm stretching to call Green a solid starter, we just don't know yet) and let the rest go. So that's 2/9, or 22%.

So looking at these stats (again, not too much data and there are other variables to consider), McD kept almost twice as high of a percentage of drafted players who have become solid starters as Elway has so far.

So before everyone jumps down my throat, I am not in any way saying McD was a better exec than Elway. That is obviously not true given the team success during each guy's tenure.

But when you think of the narrative of "OMG McD let all our talent go!!11!!!1!!!", it's actually not all that true at least compared to the talent Elway has let go.

As Mo has said, though, Elway's strategy of bringing in other free agents over keeping our own guys has obviously worked so far. Can't argue with the success at all. But I will be really, really interested in seeing how that strategy plays out once we don't have Manning in town any more. I would hope at that point he puts more of a focus on developing and keeping our own draft picks.

BroncoWave
07-08-2015, 08:02 AM
One more little tidbit I had not thought of. Here is what McDaniels got in return for those 4 guys he let go:

Marshall: 2 2nd round picks
Cutler: Kyle Orton, 2 1st round picks, 3rd round pick
Scheffler: 5th round pick
Harris: nothing

Here is what Elway got in return for the guys he has let go so far:

Nothing, they all left as free agents.

So not only did McD ship out less talent than Elway has, but he got 6 draft picks (4 of which were in the first two rounds) and Orton as compensation.

It's really interesting to look at this stuff in hindsight.

BroncoJoe
07-08-2015, 08:09 AM
I'd be curious to see who we (Elway) replaced those guys with, because if it was an upgrade then the point of letting our "home-grown talent" leave is almost moot. It's more of a bad drafting scenario.

BroncoWave
07-08-2015, 08:51 AM
I'd be curious to see who we (Elway) replaced those guys with, because if it was an upgrade then the point of letting our "home-grown talent" leave is almost moot. It's more of a bad drafting scenario.

Elway certainly has the upper hand in bringing in quality free agents as replacements, no argument there. That's by far been his strongest quality.

The class he lost this offseason does worry me a bit, though. I'm not sure we've replaced JT, Franklin, Moore, or Irving with better or comparable players. That remains to be seen though, so too early to deliver any sort of verdict.

He definitely upgraded Royal with Welker and Decker with Sanders though. No doubt there. As far as Moreno, he's lucky CJ came along, because I'm not convinced Montee Ball, the guy we used a high draft pick on, is better.

BroncoJoe
07-08-2015, 09:30 AM
Elway certainly has the upper hand in bringing in quality free agents as replacements, no argument there. That's by far been his strongest quality.

The class he lost this offseason does worry me a bit, though. I'm not sure we've replaced JT, Franklin, Moore, or Irving with better or comparable players. That remains to be seen though, so too early to deliver any sort of verdict.

He definitely upgraded Royal with Welker and Decker with Sanders though. No doubt there. As far as Moreno, he's lucky CJ came along, because I'm not convinced Montee Ball, the guy we used a high draft pick on, is better.

Unlike MO, I'm not too worried about replacing JT - I think we have a good stable of TE's that may not replace his production, but their blocking will definitely help the running game and the WR's and Slot guys will make up for his TD production. Our TE's will have plenty of catches too - remember who our QB is...

Franklin - not sure. That's a wait and see game.

Moore - there are plenty of people that aren't sorry to see him go. I'm indifferent, but with Wade in charge, I'm very confident in our defense and I think we have a good enough defensive backfield where he won't really be missed. At all.

Irving - Don't know. He got injured last year and was placed on IR (knee, IIRC). I think LB might be our weakest position on defense, but again, with Wade here I remain confident.

Moreno - I was sad to see him leave, and until CJ came along, it was a justifiable sadness. That said, he got injured (again) last year and really only had one good year of production. I think with the new system, I really like our RB situation.

BroncoWave
07-08-2015, 09:50 AM
And even though he doesn't factor into re-signing drafted players, Elway deserves a ton of credit for the extension he got for Harris. He locked up a top 5 CB for WAY less than he would have commanded on the open market this offseason. That was a baller move. Easily his best roster move as our GM other than signing Manning IMO.

EastCoastBronco
07-08-2015, 10:00 AM
I love DT but if he's looking for Calvin Johnson type dollars he better smarten up and start playing like Emanuel Sanders...;-)

Buff
07-08-2015, 10:14 AM
And even though he doesn't factor into re-signing drafted players, Elway deserves a ton of credit for the extension he got for Harris. He locked up a top 5 CB for WAY less than he would have commanded on the open market this offseason. That was a baller move. Easily his best roster move as our GM other than signing Manning IMO.

I've heard this narrative a few times - and I'm not saying it's wrong - but what evidence is there that this was a steal of a contract? It seems more like the market rate for Harris.

Northman
07-08-2015, 10:23 AM
Unlike MO, I'm not too worried about replacing JT - I think we have a good stable of TE's that may not replace his production, but their blocking will definitely help the running game and the WR's and Slot guys will make up for his TD production. Our TE's will have plenty of catches too - remember who our QB is...

Franklin - not sure. That's a wait and see game.

Moore - there are plenty of people that aren't sorry to see him go. I'm indifferent, but with Wade in charge, I'm very confident in our defense and I think we have a good enough defensive backfield where he won't really be missed. At all.

Irving - Don't know. He got injured last year and was placed on IR (knee, IIRC). I think LB might be our weakest position on defense, but again, with Wade here I remain confident.

Moreno - I was sad to see him leave, and until CJ came along, it was a justifiable sadness. That said, he got injured (again) last year and really only had one good year of production. I think with the new system, I really like our RB situation.

Pretty much.

Oh, and McD still sucks. Thats for Wave.

BroncoWave
07-08-2015, 11:27 AM
I've heard this narrative a few times - and I'm not saying it's wrong - but what evidence is there that this was a steal of a contract? It seems more like the market rate for Harris.

How is it not a steal of a deal? Look at this chart. He's currently the 14th highest paid CB in football and we have him locked in until the year 2020. By all advanced metrics last year, he was a top 5 CB. PFF had him as their #3 overall player in the NFL last season from what I just saw on twitter.

We're getting him for 8.5 mil a year when the top paid guys are getting around 14. And only 10 million dollars of his deal is guaranteed compared to over 20 million for most of the top guys.

By what metric exactly is this not a steal of a contract?

http://overthecap.com/position/cornerback/

MOtorboat
07-08-2015, 12:34 PM
MO, are you more upset we're not re-signing guys we drafted or that we're drafting poorly?

If it's the not re-signing - who exactly have we let go that you believe we should have re-signed?

Off the top of my head, Decker, Moreno, Thomas, Beadles, Franklin, Woodyard would all start on this team this year. The money that could have signed them is sunk into Talib, Sanders, Ward and Ware. Of those that really stick out to me, the two offensive linemen do.

I'm not sold on whether or not Denver is better with the former group or the latter group, and as I said as long as the wins continue to pile up its not an issue, but I think it should be pointed out.

Buff
07-08-2015, 12:39 PM
How is it not a steal of a deal? Look at this chart. He's currently the 14th highest paid CB in football and we have him locked in until the year 2020. By all advanced metrics last year, he was a top 5 CB. PFF had him as their #3 overall player in the NFL last season from what I just saw on twitter.

We're getting him for 8.5 mil a year when the top paid guys are getting around 14. And only 10 million dollars of his deal is guaranteed compared to over 20 million for most of the top guys.

By what metric exactly is this not a steal of a contract?

http://overthecap.com/position/cornerback/

Well I guess I question whether some other team would have really paid him like a #1 on the open market. Relative to his production last year, it looks like a good deal, but do we really think Harris is a Top 5 NFL DB? I love the guy - and am happy about the deal - I'm just wondering if we may have gone overboard hailing this as a steal of a deal. It kind of feels like the market rate for a high end #2.

Valar Morghulis
07-08-2015, 12:40 PM
I really liked Woodyard - i was disappointed we let him walk, but from previous threads on here, i realised i was in the minority, i was a big Decker fan (still am) - but to be fair i could not really care less about the rest. Granted i would have prefered that we replaced Franklin - but the dude just haemorrhaged penalty yards!

Buff
07-08-2015, 12:52 PM
I really liked Woodyard - i was disappointed we let him walk, but from previous threads on here, i realised i was in the minority, i was a big Decker fan (still am) - but to be fair i could not really care less about the rest. Granted i would have prefered that we replaced Franklin - but the dude just haemorrhaged penalty yards!

Woodyard remains the most overrated Bronco in recent history. (Actually, this would make a good thread).

Great guy - solid team captain - consistently got destroyed in the run game and beat in pass coverage. But then he'd make some impressive open field tackle and everyone would sing his praises.

BroncoWave
07-08-2015, 01:04 PM
Well I guess I question whether some other team would have really paid him like a #1 on the open market. Relative to his production last year, it looks like a good deal, but do we really think Harris is a Top 5 NFL DB? I love the guy - and am happy about the deal - I'm just wondering if we may have gone overboard hailing this as a steal of a deal. It kind of feels like the market rate for a high end #2.

His production was on par with Revis and Sherman. Where are you seeing his production as a high end #2 instead of a high end #1?

DenBronx
07-08-2015, 01:10 PM

if elway brings in some journeyman vet after manning, i will very much share your concern. . . but i think the unprecedented opportunity to get PFE was a MORE than understandable reason for diverting from the draft-and-develop strategy. . . i'd be a lot more disappointed if we wouldn't try to make a run under the circumstances. . . this can potentially be a very different conversation if three years, but for now i'm not sweating it too badly. . . i would guess that at least one of wolfe and jackson earns an extension this coming off-season, and i bet trevathan would have been in line for one if his knee had held up. . . sylvester williams is another candidate. . . i think we'll see it happening in the next couple of years. . .

Wtf? Is this Chinese? Anyone understand this statement?

Anyone???

DenBronx
07-08-2015, 01:14 PM

Off the top of my head, Decker, Moreno, Thomas, Beadles, Franklin, Woodyard would all start on this team this year. The money that could have signed them is sunk into Talib, Sanders, Ward and Ware. Of those that really stick out to me, the two offensive linemen do.

I'm not sold on whether or not Denver is better with the former group or the latter group, and as I said as long as the wins continue to pile up its not an issue, but I think it should be pointed out.

Franklin and Julius are the only guys that would start. Sanders would have to move over to slot for Decker to get his old spot back. Noway Moreno beats out CJ and the rest of those guys are backups.

Valar Morghulis
07-08-2015, 01:14 PM
I pick Harris over Talib all day.

Valar Morghulis
07-08-2015, 01:15 PM
Woodyard remains the most overrated Bronco in recent history. (Actually, this would make a good thread).

Great guy - solid team captain - consistently got destroyed in the run game and beat in pass coverage. But then he'd make some impressive open field tackle and everyone would sing his praises.

Talib is the most over rated Bronco in recent years

Buff
07-08-2015, 01:16 PM
His production was on par with Revis and Sherman. Where are you seeing his production as a high end #2 instead of a high end #1?

I'm under the impression that he's viewed around the league as a UDFA who is slightly undersized and has benefited a bit from the system, and is a good player, but not someone that teams would pay #1 money and feel confident that he could follow around a #1 WR. And that's how he was viewed by our coaching staff last year (Talib "covered" TY Hilton in the playoff game).

Again, I love the guy and he deserved to get paid, I'm just not so sure that his contract is a steal of a deal.

http://www.footballoutsiders.com/film-room/2014/film-room-chris-harris

MOtorboat
07-08-2015, 01:35 PM
Franklin and Julius are the only guys that would start. Sanders would have to move over to slot for Decker to get his old spot back. Noway Moreno beats out CJ and the rest of those guys are backups.

Probably not. Really the only debate comes with Moreno. The rest would easily be starters.

MOtorboat
07-08-2015, 01:35 PM

Anyone???

What the **** was I not clear about?

DenBronx
07-08-2015, 02:21 PM

Anyone???

What the **** was I not clear about?

I read that post wrong. Sorry, I had just woke up. Lol

Yeah Elway has definitely let better talent walk out the door. Somehow he manages to find replacements very quickly. This offseason has me more on edge than most bc we did lose alot of good players. His drafts have been so so but he definitely hits the mark with free agents. This year we didn't really get any good FAs mainly because I think our coaching staff is wanting our younger guys to step up.

underrated29
07-08-2015, 03:16 PM
Probably not. Really the only debate comes with Moreno. The rest would easily be starters.

no effin way mo. Decker does not start of Manny Sanders. Maybe when we go 3 wide he would over Latimer but thats a stretch
Moreno does not start over CJ, id argue ball too.
Beadles may start over shelly smith. Id give him the nod but only because Ive never seen shelly play before. And he goes by shelly
Franklin would start. No doubt.
Woody? Who does he start over? Trevathan?- no way in hell. Marshall? Doubtful. Woody sucked at MLB. at WLB he was fine till Trevs moved him inside.

So out of your list I only see 2 potential starters. 1 for sure.

underrated29
07-08-2015, 03:17 PM
I read that post wrong. Sorry, I had just woke up. Lol

Yeah Elway has definitely let better talent walk out the door. Somehow he manages to find replacements very quickly. This offseason has me more on edge than most bc we did lose alot of good players. His drafts have been so so but he definitely hits the mark with free agents. This year we didn't really get any good FAs mainly because I think our coaching staff is wanting our younger guys to step up.

That and we are returning 10 out of 11 pro bowlers....There is not a lot we can do to improve the team without putting ourselves in salary cap hell

VonDoom
07-08-2015, 03:49 PM
I wish we had kept Franklin, especially given the current state of our line. I'm not too unhappy about anyone else leaving recently, even JT, who I liked a lot. But I didn't want to pay him top dollar so we'll make due without him.

I'm under the impression that he's viewed around the league as a UDFA who is slightly undersized and has benefited a bit from the system, and is a good player, but not someone that teams would pay #1 money and feel confident that he could follow around a #1 WR. And that's how he was viewed by our coaching staff last year (Talib "covered" TY Hilton in the playoff game).

Again, I love the guy and he deserved to get paid, I'm just not so sure that his contract is a steal of a deal.

http://www.footballoutsiders.com/film-room/2014/film-room-chris-harris

Harris still seems to be the best kept secret in the league (his peers didn't put him in the top 100 players, which is criminal). But he's our #1 in my mind, even if Talib is 1A. I'm still pissed that our inept coaches didn't put him on Hilton in that game, though. That's the kind of receiver that Harris is made to cover.

Northman
07-08-2015, 05:41 PM
no effin way mo. Decker does not start of Manny Sanders. Maybe when we go 3 wide he would over Latimer but thats

Uh, your kidding right? Decker is better than Latimer and would certainly be in the 3 wide. Sanders would move to slot like he is doing this year because of his speed but Decker is a great #2 receiver. His production both here and in NY is proof of that.

SR
07-08-2015, 05:52 PM
Uh, your kidding right? Decker is better than Latimer and would certainly be in the 3 wide. Sanders would move to slot like he is doing this year because of his speed but Decker is a great #2 receiver. His production both here and in NY is proof of that.

How can you so certainly conclude that Decker is better? What do you have to compare him to? Silly comment.

underrated29
07-08-2015, 05:53 PM

Decker over Sanders? no way. Decker would move to the slot if they were both still here. Decker may be over latimer, but latimer is also an unknown so we cant measure that. But we are not going to be running a ton of 3wr....So decker would not start over manny sanders.

MOtorboat
07-08-2015, 06:03 PM
no effin way mo. Decker does not start of Manny Sanders. Maybe when we go 3 wide he would over Latimer but thats a stretch
Beadles may start over shelly smith. Id give him the nod but only because Ive never seen shelly play before. And he goes by shelly
Woody? Who does he start over? Trevathan?- no way in hell. Marshall? Doubtful. Woody sucked at MLB. at WLB he was fine till Trevs moved him inside.

We disagree.

BroncoJoe
07-08-2015, 06:06 PM
We disagree.

Great rebuttal.

:heh:

MOtorboat
07-08-2015, 06:10 PM
Most consecutive seasons of 1400 yards receiving (Entire NFL history)
Marvin Harrison 4
Demaryius Thomas 3
Calvin Johnson 3
Jerry Rice 3

BroncoJoe
07-08-2015, 06:12 PM
Marvin Harrison 4
Demaryius Thomas 3
Calvin Johnson 3
Jerry Rice 3

I hope we pay the man, but I also hope we don't break the bank on him. It'll be nice to get rid of Manning's contract - don't want another one.

Northman
07-08-2015, 06:20 PM
Decker over Sanders? no way. Decker would move to the slot if they were both still here. Decker may be over latimer, but latimer is also an unknown so we cant measure that. But we are not going to be running a ton of 3wr....So decker would not start over manny sanders.

I said Decker over Latimer. And Sanders would be in the slot because his speed is most useful there.

Northman
07-08-2015, 06:22 PM
How can you so certainly conclude that Decker is better? What do you have to compare him to? Silly comment.

Its silly to point out that Decker is a starter over Latimer and his stats show him to be a great #2? What are you smoking?

BroncoJoe
07-08-2015, 06:25 PM
http://i1.wp.com/www.totalsportsblog.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/01/Eric-Decker-Turf-Monster.gif?resize=630%2C355

http://i1.wp.com/www.totalsportsblog.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/01/DeckerTurfMonsterMondayNight.gif?resize=550%2C310

Northman
07-08-2015, 06:27 PM
http://i1.wp.com/www.totalsportsblog.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/01/Eric-Decker-Turf-Monster.gif?resize=630%2C355

http://i1.wp.com/www.totalsportsblog.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/01/DeckerTurfMonsterMondayNight.gif?resize=550%2C310

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aEYxfRVChb4

:D

BroncoJoe
07-08-2015, 06:33 PM
I liked Decker, but he's gone. Like an old girlfriend - let it go.

I'd still rather have Sanders, but it might be to prove I'm not racist. Not sure.

Northman
07-08-2015, 06:48 PM
I liked Decker, but he's gone. Like an old girlfriend - let it go.

I'd still rather have Sanders, but it might be to prove I'm not racist. Not sure.

Ermmm, i have let it go homie. I wasnt the one that brought him up and i love Sanders just fine. I just took issue with UR's assertion that Decker sucked or was only as good as a guy who has played maybe 2 games. Thats just silly (stealing SR's tagline).

DenBronx
07-08-2015, 07:08 PM
I do miss the combo of DT, Decker, Welker, Julius and Moreno.That offense was insane and could score at will. It saddens me we couldn't of somehow kept JT. We have some decent TEs now but none of them are on JTs level. He was Mannings favorite red zone target and that is a concern.

Saying that, Sanders was a steal and made me quickly forget about Decker. Who plays slot now that Welker won't be coming back? Hopefully not Sanders. He is a burner and great as a flanker. Putting him in slot and Latimer as the #2 I think would be a huge mistake.

VonDoom
07-08-2015, 07:40 PM
I do miss the combo of DT, Decker, Welker, Julius and Moreno.That offense was insane and could score at will. It saddens me we couldn't of somehow kept JT. We have some decent TEs now but none of them are on JTs level. He was Mannings favorite red zone target and that is a concern.

Saying that, Sanders was a steal and made me quickly forget about Decker. Who plays slot now that Welker won't be coming back? Hopefully not Sanders. He is a burner and great as a flanker. Putting him in slot and Latimer as the #2 I think would be a huge mistake.

The Decker / Sanders thing is moot because we wouldn't have gotten Sanders if BDD was still here.

To answer your question, Kubiak has said that Sanders will play more in the slot in three wide formations. Remember, though, our base personnel will be 2 TE, 2 WR, and in that case, the #2 WR will be Sanders. This just gets him on the field for the most snaps, which is a good thing

underrated29
07-08-2015, 09:32 PM
We disagree.

Marvin Harrison 4
Demaryius Thomas 3
Calvin Johnson 3
Jerry Rice 3

Is this to counter what I posted or are you using this as a different argument towards someone else or for DT?

underrated29
07-08-2015, 09:34 PM
Ermmm, i have let it go homie. I wasnt the one that brought him up and i love Sanders just fine. I just took issue with UR's assertion that Decker sucked or was only as good as a guy who has played maybe 2 games. Thats just silly (stealing SR's tagline).

I didn't say that tho. I said no way he starts over sanders.

MOtorboat
07-08-2015, 09:45 PM
Is this to counter what I posted or are you using this as a different argument towards someone else or for DT?

Well, the six starters is completely unrelated to Thomas because Thomas is one of the best three receivers in the league and starts on any team, so yes, the posts are totally unrelated. I happened to be watching NFL Live only a few seconds after that post when they flashed the stat about Thomas, so I made a second post.

Northman
07-08-2015, 10:01 PM
I didn't say that tho. I said no way he starts over sanders.

You also implied he might not beat out Latimer which is false.

DenBronx
07-08-2015, 10:03 PM

The Decker / Sanders thing is moot because we wouldn't have gotten Sanders if BDD was still here.

To answer your question, Kubiak has said that Sanders will play more in the slot in three wide formations. Remember, though, our base personnel will be 2 TE, 2 WR, and in that case, the #2 WR will be Sanders. This just gets him on the field for the most snaps, which is a good thing

I expected that but I still don't like Sanders in the slot.

underrated29
07-08-2015, 11:49 PM
Well, the six starters is completely unrelated to Thomas because Thomas is one of the best three receivers in the league and starts on any team, so yes, the posts are totally unrelated. I happened to be watching NFL Live only a few seconds after that post when they flashed the stat about Thomas, so I made a second post.

Ok, just checking.

You also implied he might not beat out Latimer which is false.

No I didn't. Here is my post:

Ah, poor grammar on my part. I see what you mean. I meant it's a stretch to put decker over sanders, not him starting over latimer.

EMB6903
07-09-2015, 12:12 AM
Unfortunately for you, all premier WRs are gonna make over $10M per in today's NFL. Saying you're "totally fine" letting an all pro talent like DT walk because of a personal opinion about how much a WR makes is silly. DT is one of the top five beat at his position and should be paid accordingly. Peyton will be gone soon and who ever the new QB is after that will need someone like DT to lean on.

DT should be paid well over 10+ per year I just hope Denver isn't dumb enough to be the team that gives it to him. He will easily make 13+

With how polished WRs are coming from college these days you can get " premier " production in there rookie contracts ( DT, Dez, green, jones, Gordon, Hilton) Hell Watkins, Benjamin, beckham, and Evans showed us they couldn't be defended as rookies.

I think it's stupid to invest that much money in a WR when they are becoming much easier to find these days.

Unfortunately both of our opinions don't matter

SoCalImport
07-09-2015, 03:53 AM
I just hope this doesn't get drawn out so long as to foster bad feelings between player/agent and the organisation. We have the ability to pay what Bryant gets in Dallas so let's do that and move on.

Valar Morghulis
07-09-2015, 04:34 AM
If they are high on Brock as they claim to be - pay DT.

I just don't want a Larry Fitzgerald style situation where we have an elite receiver getting over paid because his production dips because no one can throw him the ball

Buff
07-09-2015, 10:26 AM
I just hope this doesn't get drawn out so long as to foster bad feelings between player/agent and the organisation. We have the ability to pay what Bryant gets in Dallas so let's do that and move on.

I'm speculating wildly here:

I suspect there are already bad feelings. Elway didn't draft DT, DT was sort of a "John Fox guy", he has a bit of a history with drops and injuries to be a top paid WR. Elway basically came out and said that he doesn't think much of DT's hold out (which you'd expect any GM to say).

Not saying all of this can't be overcome and water under the bridge - but it's probably more contentious than the two sides let on.

I just don't want a Larry Fitzgerald style situation where we have an elite receiver getting over paid because his production dips because no one can throw him the ball

Nobody, other than you, is as high on Brock as they claim to be. ;)

Al Wilson 4 Mayor
07-09-2015, 10:36 AM
I'm speculating wildly here:

I suspect there are already bad feelings. Elway didn't draft DT, DT was sort of a "John Fox guy", he has a bit of a history with drops and injuries to be a top paid WR. Elway basically came out and said that he doesn't think much of DT's hold out (which you'd expect any GM to say).

Not saying all of this can't be overcome and water under the bridge - but it's probably more contentious than the two sides let on.

I don't know if there's hard feelings. I just think DT is likely to price himself out of Denver. He wants to create a large compound for his whole family in Georgia, so he is not likely to be interested in giving Denver a reduced deal.

He's also stated for several years he thinks he is more valuable than Dez. His opinion is he and Dez have similar skill sets, but he's not a headcase like Dez. I've heard him communicate those sentiments once when he was drafted, and then again at some point in the last 12 months.

I look for DT to wait for Dez's deal to get done, then ask for more.

Al Wilson 4 Mayor
07-09-2015, 10:39 AM

I think Larry's situation has more to do with Larry being past his prime. He put up big numbers for years receiving from journeymen QB's. He's not even the #1 in AZ anymore.

Buff
07-09-2015, 10:46 AM
I don't know if there's hard feelings. I just think DT is likely to price himself out of Denver. He wants to create a large compound for his whole family in Georgia, so he is not likely to be interested in giving Denver a reduced deal.

He's also stated for several years that he thinks he is more valuable than Dez. His opinion is that he and Dez have similar skill sets, but he's not a headcase like Dez. I look for DT to wait for Dez's deal to get done, then ask for more.

Either way, now that this has stretched out this long, I'm thinking there will never be a long term deal for DT in Denver.

It's cheaper for us to franchise DT this year anyway, and we've only got a maximum of 2 years left with Manning - I think he plays this year on the franchise tag and then gets overpaid in free agency next year.

Valar Morghulis
07-09-2015, 10:53 AM
Nobody, other than you, is as high on Brock as they claim to be. ;)

I think Brock is a turd and that he never becomes our starter. Ever. Hope I am wrong.

There, put that in your pipe and smoke it.

Northman
07-09-2015, 12:17 PM
I think Brock is a turd and that he never becomes our starter. Ever. Hope I am wrong.

I was going to say you werent one of the one's in his corner thats for sure. lmao

topscribe
07-09-2015, 12:55 PM

Why do you say that? You haven't seen him play. Nobody has. I don't see how
we can arrive at an opinion until we see it.

Valar Morghulis
07-09-2015, 01:13 PM
Why do you say that? You haven't seen him play. Nobody has. I don't see how
we can arrive at an opinion until we see it.

I watched him in college, I watched him in pre season, I watched him take limited snaps in the regular season.

I have formed my opinion of him based on that.

Call it intuition. The same intuition that tells me latimer is going to out play DT this year.

No idea if it will be accurate - don't care either.

No idea why making a prediction is about a player based on what I have seen is any different to any of the other discussions that takes place on this message board.

I am confident on this one. I bet anyone he never becomes the Broncos starter.

Canmore
07-09-2015, 01:24 PM
I watched him in college, I watched him in pre season, I watched him take limited snaps in the regular season.

Call it intuition. The same intuition that tells me latimer is going to out play DT this year.

No idea why making a prediction is about a player based on what I have seen is any different to any of the other discussions that takes place on this message board.

That is a bet I would take. He will start. How long? No clue.

Valar Morghulis
07-09-2015, 01:28 PM
That is a bet I would take. He will start. How long? No clue.

He gets beaten out in training camp next year (if manning leaves) - my prediction.

Canmore
07-09-2015, 01:45 PM
He gets beaten out in training camp next year (if manning leaves) - my prediction.

You maybe right. I just don't think so.

#nocrystalball

topscribe
07-09-2015, 02:16 PM

As a University of Arizona fan here in Tucson, I watched Brock in college, too.
That is why I like him now. He was very raw in college, so I let him slide on
some of his bone-headed plays. But he exhibited extraordinary talent. I'll give
him the benefit of the doubt until he proves otherwise. And remember, Elway,
a former QB, likes him a lot, and so does another former QB, who now
happens to be our head coach.

Regarding Latimer, I like him a lot. But not better than DT. I don't see him
overtaking either DT or Sanders, except that Sanders may go to the slot to
get all three onto the field.

Valar Morghulis
07-09-2015, 02:20 PM
As a University of Arizona fan here in Tucson, I watched Brock in college, too.
That is why I like him now. He was very raw in college, so I let him slide on
some of his bone-headed plays. But he exhibited extraordinary talent. I'll give
him the benefit of the doubt until he proves otherwise. And remember, Elway,
a former QB, likes him a lot, and so does another former QB, who now
happens to be our head coach.

Regarding Latimer, I like him a lot. But not better than DT. I don't see him
overtaking either DT or Sanders, except that Sanders may go to the slot to
get all three onto the field.

Well you would have saw more of him than I did, so you may be better placed to judge, but my assessment is not favorable.

But that is what is so good about footballing opinions - they are like ass holes, everyone has one.

topscribe
07-09-2015, 02:58 PM
Well you would have saw more of him than I did, so you may be better placed to judge, but my assessment is not favorable.

But that is what is so good about footballing opinions - they are like ass holes, everyone has one.
Well, that's true, my friend. But I'm really more on the "we'll see" mode, as
I'm sure you are, too. I just have positive hopes right now.

Northman
07-09-2015, 02:59 PM
I saw Oz in a handful of college games, the win vs USC was very impressive for me but even in the losses i saw things from him that i think will pay off at the pro level. Is for certain? No. But i really dont see anyone on the roster who can out do him nor we wont be drafting very high next year to get a solid starter so i think for at least one year its Oz or bust. Which makes sense, if they gave Tebow of all people a chance to win the job than Oz should get at least a year to see what he can do. If he sucks, you just move on.

Buff
07-09-2015, 03:04 PM
I saw him smoke my buffs by like 50 points. But there are guys who are bagging groceries who have done that.

Northman
07-09-2015, 03:18 PM
I saw him smoke my buffs by like 50 points. But there are guys who are bagging groceries who have done that.

Im not really a Buffs fan but i do kind of miss the days when they would beat teams like the Huskers on a regular basis. Those were fun times.

VonDoom
07-13-2015, 12:40 PM
Per PFT, not likely that a deal is reached with DT before Wednesday:

Per a source with knowledge of the situation, it’s currently “not likely” that the Broncos and Thomas will work out a new contract before the close of business on Wednesday.

It means that Thomas and the Broncos thereafter would be able to do only a one-year contract. The terms could be changed; the Broncos could, in theory, offer more than the $12.8 million tender to get him to show up for training camp, or they could promise not to use the franchise tag on him in 2016.

The rest: http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2015/07/13/demaryius-thomas-deal-not-likely-at-this-point/

Mike
07-13-2015, 12:54 PM
Per PFT, not likely that a deal is reached with DT before Wednesday:

The rest: http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2015/07/13/demaryius-thomas-deal-not-likely-at-this-point/

And I am ok with that. Thomas is a great WR. But he plays soft, struggles against physical DBs, and just disappears at times. I wouldn't want Denver to commit big money to him. Cap him, move on next year with the rebuild. Save the money and use it on fixing the o-line and Miller next year.

Valar Morghulis
07-13-2015, 01:03 PM
And I am ok with that. Thomas is a great WR. But he plays soft, struggles against physical DBs, and just disappears at times. I wouldn't want Denver to commit big money to him. Cap him, move on next year with the rebuild. Save the money and use it on fixing the o-line and Miller next year.

i dont see him as soft, but i do worry about his drops and his ego - if he thinks he really is worth calvin money.

Al Wilson 4 Mayor
07-13-2015, 01:44 PM

Carroll College could smoke the Buffs.

topscribe
07-13-2015, 02:07 PM
Carroll College could smoke the Buffs.
It's a shame. I still remember when CU shared the National Championship.

But that was a long time ago . . .

Denver Native (Carol)
07-13-2015, 02:15 PM
Vic Lombardi ‏@VicLombardi 3h

Vic Lombardi retweeted Mad Bear

Yes.

Vic Lombardi added,
Mad Bear @MadBear11
@VicLombardi Vic do you think there will be a deal this week?

Vic Lombardi retweeted John Lee

Missing games would be outright dumb, by any player due 12.8-million.

Vic Lombardi added,

@VicLombardi has DT said anything about missing camp or games?

Looks like the Dez Bryant camp is doing all the heavy lifting to set the market for the DT camp. Dez forcing the issue for both parties.

Vic Lombardi retweeted
Ed Werder ‏@Edwerderespn 4h

Sources: @DezBryant personally called Cowboys EVP Stephen Jones to say he won't attend camp, will miss real games unless signed by Wed.

VonDoom
07-13-2015, 02:27 PM
Yeah, I have no idea how this is going to play out, but Dez has thrown the gauntlet while DT is staying quiet:

Dez Bryant ‏@DezBryant 31m31 minutes ago

As much as I love football...on my beautiful babies.. I apologize #cowboynation but I will not be there if no deal #fact

TXBRONC
07-13-2015, 02:32 PM
Yeah, I have no idea how this is going to play out, but Dez has thrown the gauntlet while DT is staying quiet:

Dez Bryant ‏@DezBryant 31m31 minutes ago

As much as I love football...on my beautiful babies.. I apologize #cowboynation but I will not be there if no deal #fact

I'm not surprised that Dez is being vocal about it.

DenBronx
07-13-2015, 02:37 PM
DT is the ONE Bronco that needs to get paid. But I hope he isn't falling for the Dez Bryant tactics. Elway needs to get this deal done by tomorrow night.

ShaneFalco
07-13-2015, 02:39 PM
yea dez is tweeting about it

SR
07-13-2015, 02:39 PM
DT is the ONE Bronco that needs to get paid. But I hope he isn't falling for the Dez Bryant tactics. Elway needs to get this deal done by tomorrow night.

Won't happen

Buff
07-13-2015, 02:40 PM
Elway is to be commended for taking a hard line with DT. It would be bad business to give him more $$ than the franchise tag will pay him this year, which is what DT is asking for. We've got a run first head coach and a 40 year old QB. DT has had drop and injury issues.

I just don't see him getting paid here... Ever.

DenBronx
07-13-2015, 03:32 PM
That will be 3-4 Broncos gone that should of stayed here. I will seriously have a meltdown of DT isn't here past 2016. We can tag him again next year but that will be alot higher cost.

Simple Jaded
07-13-2015, 03:51 PM
Josh McDaniels, the gift that keeps on giving. The one thing he got right still causing brain damage 5 years later.

Trade him.

DenBronx
07-13-2015, 06:16 PM
Just got a notification saying that the Cowboys and Broncos were sent conclusion letters from the NFLPA. Not sure what that means.

VonDoom
07-13-2015, 07:09 PM
I know it's a common trend to crap on ex-Broncos or even Broncos who look like they're headed for the door. But why are we suddenly turning on DT here? He's been one of the most productive receivers in team history, even before Manning got here. He was a first round pick and has played like one. He deserves to be paid. The "Calvin Johnson money" thing has become a talking point - it's just the start of a negotiation, not an ultimatum as far as I can see. He's a top five WR in the league and should be paid as such. I understand the argument for letting him walk, but Manning is likely gone soon and the cap keeps going up. Why do you care if he's going to get $40 million guaranteed?

Long term contracts like this are structured in such a way that it might actually SAVE cap money this year and most of the guaranteed money would be paid up in probably three years. Is he not still going to be a top WR in three years? At that point, if the contract becomes too much of a burden, you let him go or restructure. I just don't know why people want our home grown draft picks to walk because they want to be paid as the top players that they are. We can't keep everyone, but there's no reason to think we can't keep both DT and Von (as I've seen some arguments say we need to "save that money for Von"). Most other teams managed to actually, you know, sign their players to second contracts. To risk not doing so in most instances means that we need to be lights out in the draft, which is yet to be seen under Elway. Being smart with money is one thing, but loyalty to your core players is important too, and DT is a core player, IMO.

Denver Native (Carol)
07-13-2015, 07:27 PM
I know it's a common trend to crap on ex-Broncos or even Broncos who look like they're headed for the door. But why are we suddenly turning on DT here? He's been one of the most productive receivers in team history, even before Manning got here. He was a first round pick and has played like one. He deserves to be paid. The "Calvin Johnson money" thing has become a talking point - it's just the start of a negotiation, not an ultimatum as far as I can see. He's a top five WR in the league and should be paid as such. I understand the argument for letting him walk, but Manning is likely gone soon and the cap keeps going up. Why do you care if he's going to get $40 million guaranteed?

Long term contracts like this are structured in such a way that it might actually SAVE cap money this year and most of the guaranteed money would be paid up in probably three years. Is he not still going to be a top WR in three years? At that point, if the contract becomes too much of a burden, you let him go or restructure. I just don't know why people want our home grown draft picks to walk because they want to be paid as the top players that they are. We can't keep everyone, but there's no reason to think we can't keep both DT and Von (as I've seen some arguments say we need to "save that money for Von"). Most other teams managed to actually, you know, sign their players to second contracts. To risk not doing so in most instances means that we need to be lights out in the draft, which is yet to be seen under Elway. Being smart with money is one thing, but loyalty to your core players is important too, and DT is a core player, IMO.

:salute::salute::salute:

Ziggy
07-13-2015, 08:15 PM
With a contract deadline now down to less than 48 hours, the Broncos and Thomas' agent, Todd France, have recently exchanged proposals, according to multiple NFL sources.

The Broncos' offer is substantially more than the contract of Minnesota's Mike Wallace, who is currently the league's second-highest paid receiver with a deal that averages $12 million a year.

The highest-paid receiver is Detroit's Calvin Johnson, who is making better than $16.2 million a year. Contrary to reports, Thomas is not seeking Calvin Johnson money. Thomas is seeking a deal that would exceed Johnson's contract, according to sources.
http://www.9news.com/story/sports/2015/07/13/demaryius-thomas-denver-broncos/30110587/

If this is true, he'll be gone after this season.

DenBronx
07-13-2015, 08:43 PM
Thomas is stupid if he thinks he will get more than Calvin Johnson. I just wish this knucklehead would get his butt in camp.

Broncos reportedly just offered Thomas north of 12 mill a year. No word on if he is considering it or not. But Klis said right out of the gate the deal will have to be 28 mill for the first 2 years because that's what the franchise tags would average out to.

Report: Broncos offer Demaryius Thomas more than $12 million per year | ProFootballTalk (via http://ble.ac/teamstream-) http://teamstre.am/1O8qEP2

Denver Native (Carol)
07-13-2015, 09:00 PM
Hopefully this is all just part of negotiating, and a common ground will be reached.

DenBronx
07-13-2015, 09:27 PM
Yeah but it's getting pretty ugly now.

Hope Vons deal goes alot smoother than this one.

Denver Native (Carol)
07-13-2015, 09:38 PM
Just got a notification saying that the Cowboys and Broncos were sent conclusion letters from the NFLPA. Not sure what that means.

Probably this

Source: Collusion evidence comes from conversation between Dez Bryant and Stephen Jones

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2015/07/13/source-collusion-evidence-comes-from-conversation-between-dez-bryant-and-stephen-jones/

DenBronx
07-13-2015, 09:47 PM
This is why I never buy current player jerseys anymore. You don't know how long they will be here. Throwbacks 4TW!

Ziggy
07-13-2015, 10:10 PM

I don't know DB. I think that Von's deal is going to be far more complicated. He's one strike away from a season long suspension, so the Broncos are going to have to put language in the contract that protects them if he ever slips up again.

Cugel
07-13-2015, 11:08 PM
I don't know DB. I think that Von's deal is going to be far more complicated. He's one strike away from a season long suspension, so the Broncos are going to have to put language in the contract that protects them if he ever slips up again.

That won't be the problem to put a clause in his contract voiding certain guarantees if he gets suspended for substance abuse.

The problem will be that it will take at least until July or August of 2016 to get a new deal negotiated with Von Miller, and he's going to have to be franchised in the mean time.

Obviously, the Broncos cannot allow Von to hit FA, but they will only have about a month before FA starts. The very last thing they ever want is to have to compete with other teams for him. So, they will need to franchise Von and then work out a long-term deal.

Von will want to see what other FAs get, so he can establish his market value. That alone will preclude his signing a contract offer prior to the start of FA. So, the Broncos will HAVE to franchise him, which means they cannot franchise D.T. for a second season since they only get ONE franchise tender.

So, they will have to either sign D.T. before this season to a long-term deal, or else let him play out his contract and then become an UFA and go elsewhere for the bigger $, like they did with Julius Thomas. Not good.

But, if Peyton retires after this season, they may want to let D.T. go anyway, and then just starting Sanders and Latimer. They might want to do that long term because of the salary cap implications of paying D.T. $14 million plus a year.

Al Wilson 4 Mayor
07-14-2015, 12:11 AM
NFL Network is reporting that it's closer to Calvin money than Wallace money and he would be the 2nd highest paid WR in the league.

I suppose that means it's north of 14 per.

A deal may get done yet....

DenBronx
07-14-2015, 01:03 AM
NFL Network is reporting that it's closer to Calvin money than Wallace money and he would be the 2nd highest paid WR in the league.

I suppose that means it's north of 14 per.

A deal may get done yet....

I believe tomorrow is the deadline.

DenBronx
07-14-2015, 01:07 AM

Complicated but alot cheaper bc of his record I think. More incentive based so it's only language and I think agents and the front office have alot of experience dealing with those type of deals. Millers stayed out of trouble lately and I think he continues that pattern. Other than DT and Harris Jr. I think VM is essential to the team post Manning more than other players. Both players I want to stay here a very long time.

Cugel
07-14-2015, 06:46 AM
Complicated but alot cheaper bc of his record I think. More incentive based so it's only language and I think agents and the front office have alot of experience dealing with those type of deals. Millers stayed out of trouble lately and I think he continues that pattern. Other than DT and Harris Jr. I think VM is essential to the team post Manning more than other players. Both players I want to stay here a very long time.

Miller's suspensions in the past are not going to affect his contract price in the slightest. The team can put a "conduct" clause into his contract voiding all or a portion of his signing bonus if he again runs afoul of the NFL drug policy, or is otherwise disciplined by the league for off-field conduct. Miller is not going to resist that, because he is trying to show teams that his problems are behind him and that he's not going to run into any further difficulties. He knows that to get busted again for weed for instance would cost him tens of millions of dollars.

That's how that issue gets handled. As for his contract price, it's been reported in the Denver Post that the STARTING point for negotiations will be at $14 million a year. It will quickly escalate from there, with Miller getting a contract north of $15 million. He'll probably want something like $16 million a year, which is franchise QB money, but he might not get it. But, something like $15 million is about right.

Of course, this supposes that he has a good season this year and stays injury free. He's not going to command that kind of money if he goes out and has a disappointing season with 10 sacks or something, or gets hurt and misses the season again. If that happens, he's going to be stuck somewhere around $10-12 million. If he got popped for weed again, he'd get a 1 year suspension and his career would be in jeopardy. But, teams in FA wouldn't be trying to negotiate on the basis that he might get arrested. They'd simply assume he won't and put a conduct clause into his contract to protect themselves in case he does. His contract amount would be set determined by what other teams would offer him in FA, which will be by reference to what other teams offer other top defensive FAs.

Buff
07-14-2015, 09:53 AM

It's 99% cap driven for me. We can franchise him this year for less than it would cost to extend him - so it makes total sense to let him play out the year on the franchise tag and buy ourselves more time and preserve our salary cap flexibility. Worst case scenario, we are faced with the same decision next year.

Further, I think there are legitimate questions about committing 10% of our cap over the next 3-5 years to a one player - an injury prone WR - in a run-first offense with QB question marks.

Al Wilson 4 Mayor
07-14-2015, 10:00 AM
It's 99% cap driven for me. We can franchise him this year for less than it would cost to extend him - so it makes total sense to let him play out the year on the franchise tag and buy ourselves more time and preserve our salary cap flexibility. Worst case scenario, we are faced with the same decision next year.

Further, I think there are legitimate questions about committing 10% of our cap over the next 3-5 years to a one player - an injury prone WR - in a run-first offense with QB question marks.

Has he missed time the last 3 years? I don't think it's accurate to call him injury prone.

BroncoJoe
07-14-2015, 10:07 AM

I'd also guess they want to see what Peyton does next year. I think he still has one year left on his contract, IIRC. That'd be a ton of money tied up between two players, with Von coming up the following year.

Buff
07-14-2015, 10:09 AM
Has he missed time the last 3 years? I don't think it's accurate to call him injury prone.

He busted his shoulder in the super bowl (and continued to play - to his credit). And this year he said he had an ankle that bothered him the final month of the season.

Not questioning his toughness - but after missing significant time his first two seasons - I think it's entirely fair to call him injury prone.

Valar Morghulis
07-14-2015, 10:11 AM
He busted his shoulder in the super bowl (and continued to play - to his credit). And this year he said he had an ankle that bothered him the final month of the season.

Not questioning his toughness - but after missing significant time his first two seasons - I think it's entirely fair to call him injury prone.

did he not also have a finger problem at the start of last season that restricted his ability? - i could be wrong

Denver Native (Carol)
07-14-2015, 03:25 PM
Vic Lombardi ‏@VicLombardi 14m

I'm told the Broncos are continuing to have constructive discussion with the DT camp. Good sign. At least they're talking.

nevcraw
07-14-2015, 03:41 PM

hardly fair Buff -- all players play through injuries - that doesn't make him injury prone. and surviving 3 years without missing time would say he's not. his first 2 years in football terms is like a decade ago..

Magnificent Seven
07-14-2015, 03:52 PM
Bring Wes Welker back if they didn't work out with D.T.

Move Sanders to # 1 WR. Welker can be # 2 WR, and Cody Latimer or Andre Caldwell could be # 3.

VonDoom
07-14-2015, 03:56 PM

Move Sanders to # 1 WR. Welker can be # 2 WR, and Cody Latimer or Andre Caldwell could be # 3.

First of all, DT is playing for the Broncos this year one way or the other. I doubt he pulls any hold out drama like Dez.

Second, that WR corps is weak. No one in the NFL wants Welker right now, Caldwell is a decent veteran and we have no idea what Latimer is yet. If DT really leaves, we'll need to prioritize WR next year, but let's hope it doesn't come to that.

Al Wilson 4 Mayor
07-14-2015, 04:01 PM

After 3 highly productive years I don't think it's an accurate label, but I understand you're point

TXBRONC
07-14-2015, 05:28 PM

No not even close. Injury prone has always meant a player who gets hurt and can't stay on the field.

silkamilkamonico
07-14-2015, 07:08 PM
Who cares what he is. The dudes plays the most overrated position in the NFL.

Denver Native (Carol)
07-14-2015, 08:42 PM
Vic Lombardi ‏@VicLombardi 1m

From what I'm told, Broncos are just north of 40-m guaranteed. DT camp wants closer to 50.

Denver Native (Carol)
07-14-2015, 08:50 PM
from article:

No one disputes Thomas' talent. Since 2012, he ranks second with 4,483 receiving yards, 50 shy of Johnson's total. Thomas finished with 1,619 last season, second best in the NFL. Those statistics explain why he believes he deserves to be compensated like Johnson. In addition, the salary cap has increased 18 percent since Johnson's deal, so even matching his money would be taking less than a cost of living increase.

Johnson, though, used leverage that no longer exists with rookie contracts in the new collective bargaining agreement, leaving the industry to view his deal as an outlier.

full article - http://www.denverpost.com/broncos/ci_28484076/broncos-waiting-see-if-demaryius-thomas-will-accept

tomjonesrocks
07-14-2015, 08:51 PM
Vic Lombardi ‏@VicLombardi 1m From what I'm told, Broncos are just north of 40-m guaranteed. DT camp wants closer to 50.

Well I'm glad they are trying.

DenBronx
07-14-2015, 09:09 PM
Who cares what he is. The dudes plays the most overrated position in the NFL.

Maybe that's a correct statement and if Manning was alot younge I wouldn't care. But most likely Manning is going to hang em up in a year or two. I'd much rather keel DT even if we overpay him because I'm already dreading who our next QB will be, at least high profile players help keep your team respectable.

Besides, it's not your money anyway and we will have the cap room post Manning. Not sure what the big deal is for a top 5 NFL WR. :shrugs:

SR
07-14-2015, 09:09 PM

It won't happen. I'm really disappointed that DT has let it get this far.

DenBronx
07-14-2015, 10:05 PM

It won't happen. I'm really disappointed that DT has let it get this far.

Over 40 mill guaranteed and north of 14 mill a year sounds like a really really good deal on our end. I never expected this from DT. Sounds like the Broncos are being more than fair to him and their offer.

tomjonesrocks
07-14-2015, 10:16 PM
Over 40 mill guaranteed and north of 14 mill a year sounds like a really really good deal on our end. I never expected this from DT. Sounds like the Broncos are being more than fair to him and their offer.

I hope tomorrow we have the first unexpected good news of the offseason.

aberdien
07-14-2015, 10:35 PM
I always thought DT was kind of an inconsistent clutz. Then he kinda changed my mind. But I'm not sure if he is worth that much.

Simple Jaded
07-14-2015, 11:55 PM
Trade him to Cleveland for a 1st rnd pick and Alex Mack.

Mike
07-15-2015, 08:17 AM

Caldwell shouldn't make an NFL roster. He stinks. And Welker is not dependable because of his concussion problems. If Denver has to rely on either of those two for playing time then that means bad things for Manning and Denver.

VonDoom
07-15-2015, 08:55 AM
Latest "updates" - seems like it's not happening today:

Ian Rapoport ‏@RapSheet 46m46 minutes ago

Barring a significant turn, a long-term deal is not expected for the #Broncos & star WR Demaryius Thomas. When will they see him next?

Troy Renck ‏@TroyRenck 26m26 minutes ago

No movement yet toward a compromise. If no deal it is increasingly likely that DT will hold out. Deadline at 2 pm

Vic Lombardi ‏@VicLombardi 24m24 minutes ago

Broncos not budging from their offer to DT. Interested to see how the DT camp responds as the deadline approaches. Either way, he's playing.

BroncoWave
07-15-2015, 09:21 AM
Holding out (at least for regular season games) makes zero sense for a franchise tagged player. After the deadline, Denver literally cannot sign him to an extension per the rules, so missing games accomplishes absolutely nothing, other than costing yourself money for each game you miss.

BroncoWave
07-15-2015, 09:27 AM
Caldwell shouldn't make an NFL roster. He stinks. And Welker is not dependable because of his concussion problems. If Denver has to rely on either of those two for playing time then that means bad things for Manning and Denver.

Yeah, if Wes Welker and Andre Caldwell are 2 of our top 3 receiving options, this team is up shit creek.

VonDoom
07-15-2015, 09:28 AM
Holding out (at least for regular season games) makes zero sense for a franchise tagged player. After the deadline, Denver literally cannot sign him to an extension per the rules, so missing games accomplishes absolutely nothing, other than costing yourself money for each game you miss.

Agreed. It's all a game of chicken right now and he can hold out through training camp if he wants to prove a point. But missing any games doesn't make sense. At that point, there's nothing anyone can do, so why throw away money?

Denver Native (Carol)
07-15-2015, 10:08 AM
Mike Klis ‏@MikeKlis 4m

You'd think if a deal between Broncos and Demaryius Thomas were to get done, they'd start hammering out details and language by now. #9news

Mike Klis ‏@MikeKlis 6m

This doesn't sound good: As of 9 AM MDT there's been no communication between Broncos and Demaryius Thomas' agent Todd France. #9news

Valar Morghulis
07-15-2015, 10:08 AM

I am a stupid Brit and even i know how bad an idea this is.

Wes Welker will never be a number 1 WR as long has he has a hole in his arse

I like Cody Latimer - and think he will rise this year

andre cadwell was someone i touted quite highly last off season, but last year he suck ass holes - hard. I think i have a better shot of making the #3 than he does.

Unless your post was sarcastic, in which case, please ignore all of the above and "lol, good one"

Al Wilson 4 Mayor
07-15-2015, 10:14 AM
He will be able to find a bottom feeder on the east coast who will pay him if Denver doesn't.

I don't expect DT to return if he doesn't sign today. He'll play under the franchise tag this year and be gone next.

Buff
07-15-2015, 10:17 AM
Can a tagged player still be traded after today's deadline?

Northman
07-15-2015, 10:19 AM
I am a stupid Brit and even i know how bad an idea this is.

Wes Welker will never be a number 1 WR as long has he has a hole in his arse

I like Cody Latimer - and think he will rise this year

andre cadwell was someone i touted quite highly last off season, but last year he suck ass holes - hard. I think i have a better shot of making the #3 than he does.

Unless your post was sarcastic, in which case, please ignore all of the above and "lol, good one"

Agreed.

Denver Native (Carol)
07-15-2015, 10:21 AM
Possibly DT's agent is waiting to see what comes out of this

Vic Lombardi retweeted
NFLonCBS ‏@NFLonCBS 2h

The Cowboys have reportedly upped their offer to Dez Bryant:
http://cbsprt.co/1fIVhPM

Northman
07-15-2015, 10:27 AM
There are still some FA WR's in the market if worse comes to worse. Lance Moore, Robert Meachum, Greg Little, Kevin Olgetree, even Hakeem Nicks (at least according to NFL.com who is also saying Welker is back with Miami anyway).

Valar Morghulis
07-15-2015, 10:30 AM
OK - i am at the point where i really don't want to pay him.

The deal we have is better than fair - Elway has been masterful in contract negotiations in the past - I really liked DRC, but loved the way The Duke handled that - i hope he stands firm.

14 mil a year - and north of 40 mil guaranteed but not a penny more.

I think we need him him this year - so unless the trade offer was unbelievable, i would rather have him on franchise for this year - let him play for his big pay day elsewhere.

VonDoom
07-15-2015, 10:32 AM
Possibly DT's agent is waiting to see what comes out of this

Vic Lombardi retweeted
NFLonCBS ‏@NFLonCBS 2h

The Cowboys have reportedly upped their offer to Dez Bryant:
http://cbsprt.co/1fIVhPM

This makes it sound like our offer to DT is already better than the offer to Bryant:

Ian Rapoport ‏@RapSheet 11m11 minutes ago

From @Rand_Getlin & me: #Cowboys increased their offer to Dez Bryant beyond $13M, making a strong push. Bryant is more optimistic than ever

If the 14 million for DT rumors are true, that is. The guaranteed money is still the kicker in both cases, though.

tomjonesrocks
07-15-2015, 11:12 AM
Klis saying no talks happening. 4 hours left.

Rapoport saying DT will miss all of camp and maybe some games.

Great offseason.

Northman
07-15-2015, 11:26 AM
Great offseason.

It is what it is, shit happens.

Buff
07-15-2015, 11:29 AM
If he's serious about missing the preseason, I'd prefer to trade him. History says that he'll come in out of football shape and get injured, limiting his value to us this season anyway... And if we're not going to sign him past this year, I'd prefer to see if we could get a 1st or 2nd rounder from some team (unlikely since any team trading for him would also have to pay him). If we can't get a 1st or 2nd rounder, then we may as well retain him to try and nab a compensatory pick...

But I'm not even sure if trades are allowed after today's deadline.

underrated29
07-15-2015, 11:40 AM
DT just went the DRC route. Elway doesnt blink. He makes offers and negotiates, once he is done he is done. So long DT, it was nice having you here. I am hoping you and your agent pull your head out of your ass real quick like because Id like to see you stay........btw- hello Cody Latimer! Welcome aboard

Northman
07-15-2015, 11:42 AM
Could still work out but if DT is looking for CJ money he wont get it nor should he. He isnt quite there yet but im sure some team will over-pay him for his services.

DenBronx
07-15-2015, 11:54 AM
DT just went the DRC route. Elway doesnt blink. He makes offers and negotiates, once he is done he is done. So long DT, it was nice having you here. I am hoping you and your agent pull your head out of your ass real quick like because Id like to see you stay........btw- hello Cody Latimer! Welcome aboard

That's what im affraid of. Elway doesn't budge on things like this. Means if DT leaves next offseason then Elway will shop the market for a bargain WR just like he did after we lost Decker. Bet we could even get 2 solid WRs at that cost.

Valar Morghulis
07-15-2015, 12:02 PM
That's what im affraid of. Elway doesn't budge on things like this. Means if DT leaves next offseason then Elway will shop the market for a bargain WR just like he did after we lost Decker. Bet we could even get 2 solid WRs at that cost.

I would liked us to have taken a run at Torey Smith this year - he is playing for about 6 mil a year. He is not elite - but in a run first offence, someone of that ability, for that salary is what we should be looking at going forward

DenBronx
07-15-2015, 12:04 PM
Meanwhile Cowboys up their offer to Dez at a little more than 13 mill a year.

DenBronx
07-15-2015, 12:07 PM

I would liked us to have taken a run at Torey Smith this year - he is playing for about 6 mil a year. He is not elite - but in a run first offence, someone of that ability, for that salary is what we should be looking at going forward

Since we already have Sanders I like a big target WR like DT, Colston, T.O., Brandon Marshall type of WR. Too many speed guys isn't necessarily a good thing, you need that big body, redzone guy too and those are harder to find. DT has a combination of both which makes him valuable. I don't even care if we overpay him because he also stays out of trouble off the field. He deserves it but he's ticking me off a little.

Denver Native (Carol)
07-15-2015, 12:25 PM
Vic Lombardi ‏@VicLombardi 42m

DT told certain people he wouldn't let the deadline pass without signing. We'll see. I'm riding Lookout. Please fax me if something happens.

Northman
07-15-2015, 12:26 PM
Vic Lombardi ‏@VicLombardi 42m

DT told certain people he wouldn't let the deadline pass without signing. We'll see. I'm riding Lookout. Please fax me if something happens.

What if the fax machine breaks?

Magnificent Seven
07-15-2015, 12:42 PM
D.T. is that way. :sad:

DenBronx
07-15-2015, 12:54 PM
If they have another fax snafu then I this place will be on meltdown 24/7

GEM
07-15-2015, 12:55 PM

:laugh: There was an invisible man on him in both clips, right?

Buff
07-15-2015, 12:56 PM
Speaking of the fax snafu - why hasn't the real story ever come out that Elvis purposely waited to send the fax to force his way into free agency? It's so obvious I don't know why the Broncos never called him out.

VonDoom
07-15-2015, 12:58 PM
D.T. is that way. :sad:

I think what you mean is 99% of players are "that way."

GEM
07-15-2015, 12:59 PM

Latimer outplay DT? :laugh: Dude can't even figure out the playbook. DT went from not even knowing a single pass play to one of the top 5 in the league. No way.

GEM
07-15-2015, 01:02 PM
That will be 3-4 Broncos gone that should of stayed here. I will seriously have a meltdown of DT isn't here past 2016. We can tag him again next year but that will be alot higher cost.

That's ok, you have meltdowns all the time. :D

Al Wilson 4 Mayor
07-15-2015, 01:02 PM
Latimer outplay DT? :laugh: Dude can't even figure out the playbook. DT went from not even knowing a single pass play to one of the top 5 in the league. No way.

Yeah, I won't be holding my breath for anyone to be outplaying DT anytime soon.

Al Wilson 4 Mayor
07-15-2015, 01:04 PM
We might have to tag Von next year. If DT doesn't sign today he'll likely be gone next year.

Magnificent Seven
07-15-2015, 01:09 PM
I think what you mean is 99% of players are "that way."

Yup! It sucks.

Valar Morghulis
07-15-2015, 01:13 PM
We might have to tag Von next year. If DT doesn't sign today he'll likely be gone next year.

I think Von gets the deal done. I think he might relish being the leader, mentoring Ray - and being paid well over being paid better somewhere else - i also think he rewards denvers loyallty in his off field issues by signing a huge - but fair deal. Chris Harris style

LOL - as Buff once commented about me, a major character flaw is making outrageous baseless predictions......but i stand by this one.

I think DT plays the franchise tag this year, performs well, but the dominance of Latimer and Sanders mean we dont offer DT an improved offer next year. We all feel optimistic about moving forward without him - and everyone goes back and quotes this post - hailing me as some kind of modern day nostradamous - but not french

DenBronx
07-15-2015, 01:15 PM

That's ok, you have meltdowns all the time. :D

I'm like an ice cube on a hot sidewalk when my fav players leave the team.

Denver Native (Carol)
07-15-2015, 01:30 PM
Ian Rapoport ‏@RapSheet 25m

The #Cowboys are making real progress toward a long-term deal with Dez Bryant. Everyone, it appears, it optimistic now.

Al Wilson 4 Mayor
07-15-2015, 01:36 PM
I think Von gets the deal done. I think he might relish being the leader, mentoring Ray - and being paid well over being paid better somewhere else - i also think he rewards denvers loyallty in his off field issues by signing a huge - but fair deal. Chris Harris style

LOL - as Buff once commented about me, a major character flaw is making outrageous baseless predictions......but i stand by this one.

I think DT plays the franchise tag this year, performs well, but the dominance of Latimer and Sanders mean we dont offer DT an improved offer next year. We all feel optimistic about moving forward without him - and everyone goes back and quotes this post - hailing me as some kind of modern day nostradamous - but not french

:laugh:

I love you Dave

Denver Native (Carol)
07-15-2015, 01:38 PM
Ian Rapoport ‏@RapSheet 1m

Source: The #Cowboys and Dez Bryant are finalizing a long-term contract extension. It’s happening.

HOPEFULLY DT's camp will now get one done

VonDoom
07-15-2015, 01:45 PM
Ian Rapoport ‏@RapSheet 1m

Source: The #Cowboys and Dez Bryant are finalizing a long-term contract extension. It’s happening.

HOPEFULLY DT's camp will now get one done

Yeah, I hope this breaks the stalemate with us and DT. I'm a little worried that the numbers on Bryant's deal might end up being lower than our current offer to DT, which he has already balked at signing. We shall see. I'm leaving Twitter open until 4:00 ET :D

GEM
07-15-2015, 01:49 PM
Well.....if Dez gets his done and DT doesn't, makes me rethink my opinion on Dez vs. DT and DT being the better guy. Although I still wouldn't want Dez's circus act anywhere near my team. :laugh:

Denver Native (Carol)
07-15-2015, 01:52 PM
Ian Rapoport ‏@RapSheet 5m

Dez Bryant and the #Cowboys will be signing a 5-year deal, I’m told. They are putting the finishing touches on it

VonDoom
07-15-2015, 01:53 PM
This is basically what I was trying to say:

Troy Renck ‏@TroyRenck 24s24 seconds ago

If Bryant takes deal it could spur action w DT. It all depends on what Bryant takes. He was moving toward #Cowboys. DT hasn't moved yet

Northman
07-15-2015, 01:56 PM
How much time does DT have left and are they even talking?

Buff
07-15-2015, 01:58 PM
How much time does DT have left and are they even talking?

Deadline is 4pm ET. So 1 hour. Ball is in DT's court.

MOtorboat
07-15-2015, 01:59 PM
It's not all on Thomas. If everyone else gets a deal done except the Broncos, the team is equally if not more so, responsible for it not getting done.

Valar Morghulis
07-15-2015, 02:02 PM
It's not all on Thomas. If everyone else gets a deal done except the Broncos, the team is equally if not more so, responsible for it not getting done.

what do you think DT is worth MO?

Would you like us to pay upward of 14 mil a year on him with nearly 50 guaranteed - serious question

UnderArmour
07-15-2015, 02:02 PM

From the look of things, Elway just gave DT an offer and said take it or leave it. DT said he was going to leave it, and Elway moved on. Unless DT is within 5 minutes of Broncos HQ when Dez's deal leaks, it's not happening.

Northman
07-15-2015, 02:05 PM

If DT is asking more than he is worth it is totally on him.

VonDoom
07-15-2015, 02:11 PM
From the look of things, Elway just gave DT an offer and said take it or leave it. DT said he was going to leave it, and Elway moved on. Unless DT is within 5 minutes of Broncos HQ when Dez's deal leaks, it's not happening.

There's always a fax ...

If DT is asking more than he is worth it is totally on him.

Agreed. I'm not going to knock the guy for wanting more money but it sounds like the Broncos made a competitive offer and he didn't take it. Bryant's deal is apparently:

Ian Rapoport ‏@RapSheet 1m1 minute ago

The #Cowboys and Dez Bryant have an agreement in principle on a 5-year, $70M deal, per sources.

... which is $14 million AAV. That's reportedly what we offered DT annually.

VonDoom
07-15-2015, 02:12 PM
Bryant's deal has $45 million guaranteed. We read that the Broncos offered DT upwards of $40. So let's see if anything changes.

If we offered this exact deal to DT and he took it, would people here complain? I think that's a good deal for both sides.

VonDoom
07-15-2015, 02:18 PM
Michael Tanier ‏@MikeTanier 1m1 minute ago

I pity the poor #Broncos intern who has to keep whiting out "Bryant" and replacing it with "Thomas" on contracts for the next 44 minutes.

:lol:

Northman
07-15-2015, 02:26 PM
From everything ive been reading the Broncos and Thomas are still not talking. Looks like he wont make it.

MOtorboat
07-15-2015, 02:34 PM
what do you think DT is worth MO?

Would you like us to pay upward of 14 mil a year on him with nearly 50 guaranteed - serious question

The per year doesn't really matter. The guarantee has to meet or beat $45 million now. If the Broncos won't offer that. That's on Denver, because that is Thomas' value.

VonDoom
07-15-2015, 02:38 PM
From everything ive been reading the Broncos and Thomas are still not talking. Looks like he wont make it.

Don't bet on it:

Adam Schefter ‏@AdamSchefter 2m2 minutes ago

Denver and Demaryius Thomas reach agreement on matching 5-year, $70 million deal that includes $43.5M GTD, per source.

Vic Lombardi ‏@VicLombardi 2m2 minutes ago

I'm told it's done. Quote: "Yes".

VonDoom
07-15-2015, 02:39 PM
Vic Lombardi ‏@VicLombardi 17s17 seconds ago

Broncos were offering just over $40 guaranteed. When the Bryant numbers came out, they upped the ante.

But but but ... collusion!

Buff
07-15-2015, 02:40 PM
I guess I'm glad it's done - guy is an elite talent with minor drama. Just hope it doesn't prevent us from retaining Von next year.

Timmy!
Ha. Nostratimmy bitches.

MOtorboat
Good.

Magnificent Seven
07-15-2015, 02:41 PM
20 minutes left to go.

Make an agreement or fold your tent down and get the f*** out of Broncos Country.

MOtorboat
07-15-2015, 02:41 PM
I guess I'm glad it's done - guy is an elite talent with minor drama. Just hope it doesn't prevent us from retaining Von next year.

That is nothing more than a terrible excuse if it occurs that way.

VonDoom
07-15-2015, 02:43 PM
20 minutes left to go.

Make an agreement or fold your tent down and get the f*** out of Broncos Country.

Hit refresh.

GEM
07-15-2015, 02:43 PM
Stay the **** in Broncos Country!! :D

GEM
07-15-2015, 02:44 PM
Haha....and the song that is playing on playlist coincidentally.....Happy! :laugh:

y6Sxv-sUYtM

VonDoom
07-15-2015, 02:45 PM

It shouldn't, as we were talking about earlier. If Manning is still around in 2016, then things might be tougher. Even still, if Ware is gone (likely), that frees up $10 million right there and Manning won't be around forever, so they could backload Von's deal.

Edit: Besides Manning (and now DT), the next three highest cap figures next year are Ware, Clady and Talib. Any one (or more) of those guys could be cut next year. Not saying they SHOULD but if they need money, they're going to start from the top. The money will be there for Von.

Magnificent Seven
07-15-2015, 02:46 PM
Adam Schefter ‏@AdamSchefter 10m10 minutes ago
Denver and Demaryius Thomas reach agreement on matching 5-year, $70 million deal that includes $43.5M GTD, per source.

Spiritguy
07-15-2015, 02:48 PM
but did the fax go through in time? lol

Northman
07-15-2015, 02:49 PM
but did the fax go through in time? lol

Good question.

Denver Native (Carol)
07-15-2015, 02:53 PM
Vic Lombardi ‏@VicLombardi 2m

DT gets less than Dez in guaranteed money, but I'd love to see the fine print of Dez's contract. Sure it's filled with clauses.

Vic Lombardi ‏@VicLombardi 8m

Vic Lombardi retweeted DocT

Because time and the threat of not playing is all the players have. Teams have the hammer. Saying it all along.

Vic Lombardi added,
DocT @tdswg
.@VicLombardi But why does it have to come down to the last second? #GameOfChicken

Vic Lombardi ‏@VicLombardi 13m

Broncos were offering just over $40 guaranteed. When the Bryant numbers came out, they upped the ante.

Vic Lombardi ‏@VicLombardi 14m

Broncos and DT have agreed to a contract extension. Stil needs to be signed. According to Shefter it's $43.5 guaranteed.

Denver Native (Carol)
07-15-2015, 02:54 PM
Vic Lombardi ‏@VicLombardi 53s

Need to see the fine print of DT's contract to determine the real guarantees. I'm guessing the last two years are a wash. 3-yr deal.

Northman
07-15-2015, 02:56 PM
Denver was messing with his Quan.

http://www.snakkle.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/12/cuba-gooding-GC.jpg

VonDoom
07-15-2015, 02:57 PM
Troy Renck ‏@TroyRenck 6m6 minutes ago

Deal in place for DT. 5-year,. $70 million with $35 million fully guaranteed over first two years. $43.5 million overall guarantee

Lindsay Jones ‏@bylindsayhjones 5m5 minutes ago

Demaryius Thomas' deal is being finalized and signed electronically. He isn't at Dove Valley.

Denver Native (Carol)
07-15-2015, 02:59 PM
Mike Klis ‏@MikeKlis 8m

Demaryius Thomas gets whopping $35 mill skill/injury/cap guar and 43.5 mill total guarantee 9news

Mike Klis ‏@MikeKlis 11m

Demaryius Thomas agrees with Broncos in 5year 70 mill deal per NFL source #9news

Denver Native (Carol)
07-15-2015, 02:59 PM
Vic Lombardi ‏@VicLombardi 33s

Negotiations never got hostile. Numbers didn't change until today. But Broncos and DT camp were communicating.

MOtorboat
07-15-2015, 03:00 PM
Lindsay Jones ‏@bylindsayhjones 5m5 minutes ago

Demaryius Thomas' deal is being finalized and signed electronically. He isn't at Dove Valley.

I hope the Broncos have a better feel for modern electronics than they do for 1990s electronics.

CoachChaz
07-15-2015, 03:04 PM
This wont be good news for us next year...

http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/13260695/kansas-city-chiefs-sign-justin-houston-landmark-deal

Northman
07-15-2015, 03:08 PM
This wont be good news for us next year...

http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/13260695/kansas-city-chiefs-sign-justin-houston-landmark-deal

Yep, thats for sure. One can only hope we are able to clear enough money from other high priced players leaving to try and keep him. I hope these big contracts dont come to bite us in the ass.

VonDoom
07-15-2015, 03:13 PM
Yep, thats for sure. One can only hope we are able to clear enough money from other high priced players leaving to try and keep him. I hope these big contracts dont come to bite us in the ass.

I mentioned this on the last page. A lot will depend on Manning, but I could definitely see them cutting Ware, Clady and/or Talib (the next big earners on the list) if money is needed. Von will be priority #1 next year. There's no way they'll let themselves be hamstrung because of other "big" contracts.

Also, to that point:

Bart Hubbuch ‏@BartHubbuch 21s21 seconds ago

The Cowboys and Broncos got off cheap. The salary cap is about to go way up, making these deals look like steals very quickly.

$14 million is now the market rate for top WR. AJ Green and Julio Jones will top it next year. That's life in the NFL.

DenBronx
07-15-2015, 03:15 PM
Mike Klis ‏@MikeKlis 8m

Demaryius Thomas gets whopping $35 mill skill/injury/cap guar and 43.5 mill total guarantee 9news

Mike Klis ‏@MikeKlis 11m

Demaryius Thomas agrees with Broncos in 5year 70 mill deal per NFL source #9news

I'm a happy Broncos fan today. :)

So glad this is over and done with.

Buff
I hope the Broncos have a better feel for modern electronics than they do for 1990s electronics.

As I said in another thread and have maintained all along - Elvis purposely delayed his fax fully knowing the implications. There is no doubt in my mind.

Northman
Well, they always say the cap will go up but it seems like the last few years we have been to damn close to the cap in terms of money available so we shall see how it plays out.

GEM
07-15-2015, 03:16 PM
Denver was messing with his Quan.

http://www.snakkle.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/12/cuba-gooding-GC.jpg

I watched that the other night. :laugh:

Spiritguy
07-15-2015, 03:17 PM
The Cowboys and Broncos got off cheap. The salary cap is about to go way up, making these deals look like steals very quickly.

$14 million is now the market rate for top WR. AJ Green and Julio Jones will top it next year. That's life in the NFL.

If the cap keeps going up and up I wonder how long it will take before tickets get too expensive for most of us? Already not affordable for a lot of families.

GEM
07-15-2015, 03:19 PM
If the cap keeps going up and up I wonder how long it will take before tickets get too expensive for most of us? Already not affordable for a lot of families.

They already are! There's no way in hell I'd be able to take me and my brood to a game. Just not possible, even at the current $85 face value tix.

Northman
07-15-2015, 03:28 PM
The only time ive been able to attend games is when ive been offered free tickets.