PDA

View Full Version : Several Bronco defensive players in contract year

Northman
07-07-2015, 04:56 AM
http://espn.go.com/blog/denver-broncos/post/_/id/13702/several-broncos-defensive-players-will-deal-with-contract-year-in-15

ENGLEWOOD, Colo. – The thing about the football business is there is the football and there is the business.And in terms of football, the Denver Broncos (http://espn.go.com/nfl/team/_/name/den/denver-broncos) believe they are a team worthy of being in Super Bowl conversations. But in the business of their business, they face the prospect of it being the Year of the Contract on defense, as six players who have started games for the team are poised for unrestricted free agency at season's end, including Pro Bowl linebacker Von Miller (http://espn.go.com/nfl/player/_/id/13976/von-miller).

When all is said and done in 2015, decisions will be made about who stays and who goes, but as the Broncos closed out their offseason program in recent weeks, it was clear all involved want, and need, it to be a win-win situation, as in the Broncos win and the contracts follow.

Or as defensive end Derek Wolfe (http://espn.go.com/nfl/player/_/id/14964/derek-wolfe) put it: “My main goal is winning a Super Bowl. That’s all I care about right now. If we win a Super Bowl, everybody gets paid. That’s our goal right now as a team."

DenBronx
07-07-2015, 05:00 AM
Bye Wolfe.

Thanks Miller for taking a hometown discount.

Cugel
07-08-2015, 07:35 AM
Thomas has the franchise-player tag at the moment, but if the Broncos work out a long-term deal with Thomas before July 15, that franchise player tag could conceivably be used on Miller next offseason. If no deal is worked out with Thomas, the Broncos will have two of their elite players with expiring contracts and one franchise-player tag to use.

This choice is no choice at all. The Broncos would use the franchise tag on Miller, not DT. DT they could live without. It would severely hurt them to lose him, but they could get by with Emanuel Sanders and Cody Latimer as their starting WRs. They would then need to either draft or sign a third WR in FA, which they could probably do.

But, losing Miller would be losing the 2nd best defensive player in the NFL behind only JJ Watt. They simply cannot allow that to happen. Of course, this could change if Miller has a mediocre season this year. But, I don't expect that to happen. He was recovering from injury last year, and had an off year. This defense is going to be a lot more aggressive and Miller will definitely benefit from being an outside LB in a 3-4.

He's also lighter and should be poised for a big year if he stays healthy.

As for the rest of the FAs, the Broncos may or may not want to re-sign Derek Wolfe for more money. So far he's done nothing special. They probably would make a serious effort to re-sign Malik Jackson though whom they like very much.

Buff
07-08-2015, 10:24 AM
There was a stupid headline on the Denver Post the other day that was something to the effect of "What should the Broncos do with Von Miller next year?"

You ******* resign him at all costs, no matter what. That's what you do.

sneakers
07-12-2015, 05:48 AM
see if he stays healthy this year

Al Wilson 4 Mayor
07-12-2015, 03:15 PM
There was a stupid headline on the Denver Post the other day that was something to the effect of "What should the Broncos do with Von Miller next year?"

I don't know where you get that. I was thinking they should invite him to go for long walks in the park.

Cugel
07-14-2015, 07:03 AM

They're certainly going to try. The Broncos haven't had a #2 overall draft pick EVER before. The highest previous Broncos draft picks were the #4 pick they traded for John Elway, and the #4 pick of the draft they wasted on bust LB Mike Croel. Miller is a freak athlete who only comes around once in a decade or so.

There hasn't been a LB with his speed and athleticism since Derrick Thomas. Derrick Thomas had 20 sacks one year. Miller could approach that if he stays healthy and is in the right defensive system. You just don't let a player like that walk.

NightTerror218
07-16-2015, 06:20 PM
Bye Wolfe.

Thanks Miller for taking a hometown discount.

I don't think he is going anywhere. I will get paid but team friendly salary. He is a great low key DE. Very solid against the run and can get pressure too. Von said there were many ti.es where Wolfe was a split second to late a millet beat him to QB. I think Von and Wolfe will have break out seasons this year.

Simple Jaded
07-17-2015, 05:57 PM
Cameron Hayward just got about $9.5 MM/per, that's what Jackson and Wolfe could be aiming for next year after a season in Phillips 3-4, most likely Jackson. It'd be nice if Denver could get him locked up sooner than later.

Jsteve01
07-18-2015, 12:35 AM
Cameron Hayward just got about $9.5 MM/per, that's what Jackson and Wolfe could be aiming for next year after a season in Phillips 3-4, most likely Jackson. It'd be nice if Denver could get him locked up sooner than later. I keep referring back to our combined practices with the Texans last year. One of their beat writers commented throughout camp that Wolf was the unsung hero of the Broncos defense. we really need this year to evaluate both he and Jackson because I think much more was lost to the weight loss and body trauma that he endured two years ago than we really will ever understand. this year will tell us much

Simple Jaded
07-18-2015, 04:39 PM
I keep referring back to our combined practices with the Texans last year. One of their beat writers commented throughout camp that Wolf was the unsung hero of the Broncos defense. we really need this year to evaluate both he and Jackson because I think much more was lost to the weight loss and body trauma that he endured two years ago than we really will ever understand. this year will tell us much

I think they're both gonna breakout in this 3-4, keeping both would be tough regardless.

Buff
07-21-2015, 11:36 AM
I have not been very high on Wolfe the last couple years as he just seemed to disappear for long stretches, but he gave an interesting interview this offseason where he said that much of what he was asked to do by Del Rio was to stay home and complement Von Miller. He said that the new defense is much more intuitive for him and he's asked to attack much more as opposed to reacting based on what his teammates are doing.

I expect him to look more like his rookie season where he's pressuring the QB and more active.

BroncoJoe
07-21-2015, 11:43 AM
I have not been very high on Wolfe the last couple years as he just seemed to disappear for long stretches, but he gave an interesting interview this offseason where he said that much of what he was asked to do by Del Rio was to stay home and complement Von Miller. He said that the new defense is much more intuitive for him and he's asked to attack much more as opposed to reacting based on what his teammates are doing.

I expect him to look more like his rookie season where he's pressuring the QB and more active.

Man, I sure hope so. He's been one of the most over-hyped players by Broncos fans.

Al Wilson 4 Mayor
07-21-2015, 11:54 AM
I think Wolfe is a good player. I never claimed he was an all pro, but a good player nevertheless.

Sometimes I wonder if his drop in numbers has a little to do with the difference between Del Rio's scheme and Allen's.

TXBRONC
07-23-2015, 11:12 AM
I think Wolfe is a good player. I never claimed he was an all pro, but a good player nevertheless.

Sometimes I wonder if his drop in numbers has a little to do with the difference between Del Rio's scheme and Allen's.

Same here. I've also said that I think he can get 6 to 8 a season and iirc that is what he did his rookie season.

SR
07-23-2015, 11:27 AM
I think Wolfe is a good player. I never claimed he was an all pro, but a good player nevertheless. Sometimes I wonder if his drop in numbers has a little to do with the difference between Del Rio's scheme and Allen's.

Second ranked against the run according to PFF.

TXBRONC
07-23-2015, 12:12 PM
Second ranked against the run according to PFF.

How about that.

Cugel
07-27-2015, 07:06 PM
No question Wolfe is a stout run defender, and that's what you need in a 3-4 DE. He's a mauler too which is also what you need. I expected him to have a big year.

Now, missing 4 games is going to set him back considerably. It takes time to get in football shape, and everybody else is going to be in mid-season form before he even gets started. That might mean it's the 5th or 6th game of the season before he gets into the swing of things.

Happened to Von Miller last year and he had an off-year.

TXBRONC
07-27-2015, 09:23 PM
No question Wolfe is a stout run defender, and that's what you need in a 3-4 DE. He's a mauler too which is also what you need. I expected him to have a big year.

Now, missing 4 games is going to set him back considerably. It takes time to get in football shape, and everybody else is going to be in mid-season form before he even gets started. That might mean it's the 5th or 6th game of the season before he gets into the swing of things.

Happened to Von Miller last year and he had an off-year.

You mean 2013 don't you because last year Miller had some good numbers 14 sacks included.

Cugel
07-28-2015, 11:47 AM
You mean 2013 don't you because last year Miller had some good numbers 14 sacks included.

Well, frankly, he had 2 off years. 14 sacks for a guy who should be up around 18+ with his talent, and most of all he disappeared in the playoff game completely.

He was heavier last year and it hurt his burst. He no longer had the zip he had previously. He's lost weight this off-season and claims he's faster, so we'll see if that positively impacts his play.

He's much better suited to being an OLB in a 3-4 than lining up in a 4-3.

TXBRONC
07-28-2015, 08:04 PM
Well, frankly, he had 2 off years. 14 sacks for a guy who should be up around 18+ with his talent, and most of all he disappeared in the playoff game completely.

He was heavier last year and it hurt his burst. He no longer had the zip he had previously. He's lost weight this off-season and claims he's faster, so we'll see if that positively impacts his play.

He's much better suited to being an OLB in a 3-4 than lining up in a 4-3.

He played in nine games in 2013 so no he didn't miss two seasons and injured in the second to the last game of the season which was in Houston. No he wasn't heavier last season he was lighter in 2014 it was talked about in camp last year how Miller had trimmed down. I don't know of any elite pass rushers who get 18 every season and give the fact he was coming off an acl injury and consider when he was injured in 2013 and takes about a year to heal well his numbers are pretty good.

SR
07-28-2015, 08:11 PM
He played in about eight games in 2013 so no he didn't miss two season and no he wasn't heavier last season he was lighter in 2014 he was heavier in 2013 because of the layoff. I don't know of any elite pass rushers that does that every year that are going have 18 or more sacks year and year out.

Watch out TX, he might call you an idiot.

TXBRONC
07-28-2015, 08:24 PM
Watch out TX, he might call you an idiot.

He might but Bosco is far worse to deal with.

Cugel
07-30-2015, 07:43 AM
He played in nine games in 2013 so no he didn't miss two seasons and injured in the second to the last game of the season which was in Houston. No he wasn't heavier last season he was lighter in 2014 it was talked about in camp last year how Miller had trimmed down. I don't know of any elite pass rushers who get 18 every season and give the fact he was coming off an acl injury and consider when he was injured in 2013 and takes about a year to heal well his numbers are pretty good.

Didn't say he missed two seasons. He just underwhelmed last year. Compare the year he had with 14 sacks to Justin Houston who had 22! He and DeMarcus Ware were total non-factors in the playoff loss. I can't remember hearing their names once. So, not a great season. Maybe the injury the previous year slowed him down, maybe not.

Hopefully the new scheme will help him this season. He needs to have a big year if he wants that $16 million a season that would make him the highest paid defensive player.

TXBRONC
07-30-2015, 08:28 AM
Didn't say he missed two seasons. He just underwhelmed last year. Compare the year he had with 14 sacks to Justin Houston who had 22! He and DeMarcus Ware were total non-factors in the playoff loss. I can't remember hearing their names once. So, not a great season. Maybe the injury the previous year slowed him down, maybe not.

Hopefully the new scheme will help him this season. He needs to have a big year if he wants that $16 million a season that would make him the highest paid defensive player.

Justin Houston wasn't coming off a acl tear. Also getting 14 sack is still considered a very good season. If you think Houston or even Watt are going to get 18 or more sack year in and year out tben you are mistaken.

Cugel
07-31-2015, 06:28 PM
Justin Houston wasn't coming off a acl tear. Also getting 14 sack is still considered a very good season. If you think Houston or even Watt are going to get 18 or more sack year in and year out tben you are mistaken.

I certainly hope Houston doesn't get any against the Broncos! As for Watt, I would not bet against the best defensive player in the NFL, hands down. He's just a total beast. Getting 20 sacks again? What I want to know is "who's going to stop him?"

Every team he plays knows that they have to get him blocked or he's going right into a gap and rip their QB's head off. He does it anyway. Barring injury, I don't know what's likely to change this season.

Check this video:

Watt - "All I know is, you mess with me, you've got problems! I don't care who they put in there at OT! Whoo!" (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I9DTz87KVPQ)

"That guy ain't blocked me one time! There's no way I'm moving, I'm lining up here!"

[To the ref:] "Are you kidding me? Are you kidding me? I'm beating these guys like a drum out here!"

He was the first NFL player to have 20 or more sacks in 2 NFL seasons. In four years 58 sacks? Not exactly a huge drop off expected.