PDA

View Full Version : Supplemental Draft on 7/9 - Isaiah Battle

VonDoom
07-02-2015, 03:55 PM
The supplemental draft is usually a complete non-event (rare in the NFL!) but this year, Clemson OT Isaiah Battle has a chance to be selected. I keep seeing articles like this about him, so I wondered what everyone thought. Any interest in this guy? I don't know that much about him to be honest. We know we could use the help on the OL, and we also know it's unlikely that Elway will actually do this, but I wanted to get some opinions. What round would be acceptable to get him in, if we were going to try?

Of this year's eligble players, Battle is by far the most likely to see a team sacrifice one of its 2016 draft picks for his services. The 6-foot-6, 300-pounder worked at both tackle spots for Clemson, starting 15 games over the last two seasons. Battle's potential as a left tackle also helps his status.

Battle said last week that he had to enter the supplemental draft because he had "some family matters to address," including the impending birth of his child.

Although he's raw, his quickness, footwork and the potential to add 10 to 20 pounds to his frame could make him the first supplemental pick since 2012, when the Cleveland Browns used a second-round choice on talented but troubled wide receiver Josh Gordon -- the 11th player selected in an 11-year run of the supplemental draft.

http://www.denverbroncos.com/news-and-blogs/article-1/Seven-players-eligible-for-supplemental-draft/f7e1b771-6509-46eb-9125-569dd153797a

BroncoJoe
07-02-2015, 03:59 PM
Oh man. Bobby Humphrey. What a career he could have had.

tomjonesrocks
07-02-2015, 05:23 PM
At this point Denver seems so confident and/or stubborn to stick with the unheralded names they have would be stunned to see any interest.

Simple Jaded
07-02-2015, 09:52 PM
Battle is the athlete we keep hearing the Broncos OL is supposed to be, plus he doesn't have T-Rex arms (cause even ZBS lineman have to play pass pro).

Plus, plus he likes the hippy lettuce so he should fit right in.

Edit, keep in mind that the Broncos should have some nice comp picks again next year so they'll have extra picks to utilize in the sup draft if they're wise. This is a chance to further fortify your biggest question mark with homegrown talent a year ahead of schedule, they should take it.

Al Wilson 4 Mayor
07-02-2015, 09:59 PM

Didn't he have 1100 yards his rookie year?

Simple Jaded
07-02-2015, 10:07 PM
It was so much fun to watch Humphrey his rookie year, after watching Sammie Winder 2 1/2 yards/cloud of dust and Gerald Wilhite trip over his own feet.

VonDoom
07-02-2015, 10:10 PM
Battle is the athlete we keep hearing the Broncos OL is supposed to be, plus he doesn't have T-Rex arms (cause even ZBS lineman have to play pass pro).

Plus, plus he likes the hippy lettuce so he should fit right in.

Edit, keep in mind that the Broncos should have some nice comp picks again next year so they'll have extra picks to utilize in the sup draft if they're wise. This is a chance to further fortify your biggest question mark with homegrown talent a year ahead of schedule, they should take it.

I had a feeling that this would be your stance. I'm with you on this one. Guy probably would have been a high pick this year; getting him for a mid rounder next year with our comp picks makes sense.

Give me Battle/Mathis(why not? I'm dreaming here)/Gradkowski, I guess/Vasquez/Sambrailo

Simple Jaded
07-02-2015, 10:23 PM
I had a feeling that this would be your stance. I'm with you on this one. Guy probably would have been a high pick this year; getting him for a mid rounder next year with our comp picks makes sense.

Give me Battle/Mathis(why not? I'm dreaming here)/Gradkowski, I guess/Vasquez/Sambrailo

I'm thinking rookie bookends might not be ideal but with vets like Mathis and Vasquez next to them it'd be mitigated somewhat. Vets like Clark and Harris behind them, I like it.

Simple Jaded
07-02-2015, 11:00 PM
Battle/Clark at LT, Smith at LG, Paradis at C, Vasquez at RG and Sambrailo at RT.

I think this is the single best OL Denver could realistically field in 2015, they'd probably have to make cap room for Mathis but it'd be worth it, imo.

Dream scenario.

Battle or Sambrailo LT.
Mathis LG.
Smith C.
Vasquez RG
Schofield or Sambrailo RT

ShaneFalco
07-03-2015, 08:46 AM
Do it

Simple Jaded
07-03-2015, 12:33 PM
JoqDYcCDOTg

VonDoom
07-09-2015, 12:57 PM
Rams got him in the 5th round. I wonder if we had bid anything. We don't have our 4th rounder next year and that was about where I thought he would go.

ShaneFalco
07-09-2015, 01:22 PM
super pumped. Rams needed the help badly on o line. I am surprised Denver did not try.

VonDoom
07-09-2015, 01:59 PM
super pumped. Rams needed the help badly on o line. I am surprised Denver did not try.

I'm honestly not sure if they "tried" or not. Remember, the Broncos don't have a 4th round pick next year and their 5th was after the Rams' pick in the supplemental formula. So the only way they would have gotten him was to bid their 3rd, which I guess they didn't want to do.

ShaneFalco
07-09-2015, 02:10 PM
why dont they have a 4th next year?

I dont remember losing it.

VonDoom
07-09-2015, 02:37 PM
why dont they have a 4th next year?

I dont remember losing it.

Flipped it for Baltimore's 5th and Gradkowski.

Simple Jaded
07-11-2015, 02:08 PM
Smart bid by Rams, nobody was giving a 3rd for Battle.

sneakers
07-12-2015, 04:59 AM

I forget what happened to him....was he traded to Miami or was that Gaston Green?

TXBRONC
07-12-2015, 08:18 AM
I forget what happened to him....was he traded to Miami or was that Gaston Green?

He was trade for Sammy Smith (I think that was his last name.) I don't think he ever played down for Denver because he ended up with a groin injury. IIRC Green was a free agent who came from the Rams.

Al Wilson 4 Mayor
07-12-2015, 10:44 AM

Yes, Miami. He didn't fair very well there if I remember correctly.

Cugel
07-17-2015, 11:50 AM
At this point Denver seems so confident and/or stubborn to stick with the unheralded names they have would be stunned to see any interest.

Elway is very confident in his draft picks. Slyvester Williams, Matt Paradis, Michael Schofield, they're all starters in Elway's eyes.

That was the biggest conflict between Elway and Fox & Del Rio. The coaches took a look at these players and didn't want them at all. They couldn't very well just cut Elway's picks, but they didn't even suit them up all season. Elway was angry that the coaches didn't develop these players more, while Fox's attitude was "they suck."

So, this season we'll get to see whether guys like Schofield and Sly make an impact or not. At present it's uncertain who was right, Fox or Elway. If it's Fox, then this is going to be a long season.

Simple Jaded
07-17-2015, 05:50 PM
Elway is very confident in his draft picks. Slyvester Williams, Matt Paradis, Michael Schofield, they're all starters in Elway's eyes.

That was the biggest conflict between Elway and Fox & Del Rio. The coaches took a look at these players and didn't want them at all. They couldn't very well just cut Elway's picks, but they didn't even suit them up all season. Elway was angry that the coaches didn't develop these players more, while Fox's attitude was "they suck."

So, this season we'll get to see whether guys like Schofield and Sly make an impact or not. At present it's uncertain who was right, Fox or Elway. If it's Fox, then this is going to be a long season.

Dude, isn't it at least slightly possible that Fox/Del Rio liked the players as much as the FO, maybe even had a hand in the selection, but they just don't like playing rookies? Or didn't think rpthese rookies were SB-or-bust ready?

You talk like you're in these meetings, I'm willing to bet you're not.