PDA

View Full Version : PFT Report: Broncos tried to trade Manning to Texans this offseason

BroncoWave
06-23-2015, 07:36 PM
Interesting...

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2015/06/23/report-broncos-tried-to-trade-peyton-manning-to-texans/

According to Benjamin Allbright of 94.1 FM in Denver, the Broncos tried to trade Manning to Houston during the offseason. He cites “two unrelated official sources” for the report, adding that “certain elements” of the Broncos organization wanted the Brock Osweiler era to start in 2015.

My first reaction was to scoff, but then I remembered this item from PFT regarding the presence of a no-trade clause for 2015 in Manning’s revised contract. Manning didn’t need to ask for a no-trade clause unless he feared that his restructured contract, with a base salary of only $15 million, would make another team more likely to do the deal.

Davii
06-23-2015, 07:49 PM
I don't buy it and Patrick Smyth just tweeted

@PSmyth12 Here's one for the record - The speculation is false, and your report is inaccurate. https://t.co/Epge4WkOrX

BroncoWave
06-23-2015, 07:49 PM
On the other side of the token, Vic and Mason are both saying their sources say there is no truth to this rumor.

BroncoWave
06-23-2015, 07:54 PM
I remember saying when the news of him getting a no-trade clause came out that there would be no reason to request that unless he thought there was a chance Denver might try to trade him. Not saying this report is definitely accurate, but it would back up that thought.

VonDoom
06-23-2015, 08:07 PM
Seems really unlikely to me. Albright is looking for clicks. Too random to come out now, I suspect.

Bill Barnwell ‏@billbarnwell 34m34 minutes ago

Also also seems weird that the Broncos would have wanted to move on from Peyton Manning yet only offered him to one other team.

Vic Lombardi ‏@VicLombardi 25m25 minutes ago

Did some digging on the Peyton story. According to my sources, the Broncos never tried to trade him. Certainly tried to cut more salary.

Andrew Mason ‏@MaseDenver 18m18 minutes ago

Hearing from people close to the situation that there's no truth to rumors that the @Broncos tried to trade Peyton Manning this offseason.

Mike Klis ‏@MikeKlis 12m12 minutes ago

Let's get this straight: Guy who's radio station is no longer on air reports Peyton Manning trade to Houston. And it spreads. What a biz.

Mike Klis ‏@MikeKlis 7m7 minutes ago

Tom Condon, Peyton Manning's agent, to 9News: "I've never spoken to Denver or Houston regarding a PM trade." #9News #9Sports

Mike Klis ‏@MikeKlis 6m6 minutes ago

Tom Condon would be involved if there was proposed Peyton Manning deal because contract would have to be re-negotiated for deal to happen

John McClain

@McClain_on_NFL

Sorry this took so long, but I wanted to talk with 3 Texans sources I trust about Manning report. All tell me it's not true.

BroncoWave
06-23-2015, 08:11 PM
Apparently a totally different guy said the same thing (that Denver discussed Manning trade) on this podcast:

http://www.nfl.com/podcasts?id=230170e51c0ca1ea274d26e19c447f24

I'm listening to it now to see what part of the podcast it's on.

So now in one hand you have Peyton asking for a no-trade clause, and in the other hand you have multiple guys saying sources told them about trade talks.

Maybe it's just a giant coincidence and all these guys are lying or misinformed, or maybe where there's smoke there's fire.

BroncoWave
06-23-2015, 08:14 PM
Apparently a totally different guy said the same thing (that Denver discussed Manning trade) on this podcast:

http://www.nfl.com/podcasts?id=230170e51c0ca1ea274d26e19c447f24

I'm listening to it now to see what part of the podcast it's on.

So now in one hand you have Peyton asking for a no-trade clause, and in the other hand you have multiple guys saying sources told them about trade talks.

Maybe it's just a giant coincidence and all these guys are lying or misinformed, or maybe where there's smoke there's fire.

Skip to 16:22 of this podcast to hear the guy talk about the Manning stuff. Basically saying the exact same stuff Allbright said.

Poet
06-23-2015, 09:07 PM
I wish they traded him to the Bengals. :mad:

Although it would be fun to see Brock start.

tomjonesrocks
06-23-2015, 09:16 PM
False/True or not that story is not good.

Hopefully it's something Elway and Manning are laughing about right now. Ugh

VonDoom
06-23-2015, 09:17 PM
I just don't like when rumors can fly around with no substantive information to back it up - who initiated these talks? What were the Broncos looking to get in exchange? Who backed out? Without details, this is just wild speculation, given that every other "source" has denied it, as well as the Broncos and Tom Condon. Plausible? Sure. Did it happen? I don't see it given what we know.

On the other hand, I hope that if it DID happen, it went something like this:

Elway: "We'll trade you Manning for Watt straight up. No? Well, it was worth a shot. Forget I mentioned it, in that case."

Davii
06-23-2015, 09:18 PM
Bogus story to get attention

MOtorboat
06-23-2015, 09:24 PM
Feigning the "oh, it's late in the day, I don't know if I can get an official comment" tweet was gold. Patrick Smyth's comeback was hilarious.

Like every media person in town couldn't reach Patrick Smyth at any hour of the day...lol.

BroncoWave
06-23-2015, 09:25 PM
Bogus story to get attention

This same guy also reported Bradford to the Eagles before pretty much anyone else. And as you see from my link I posted, basically the exact same thing was said on an NFL.com podcast 3 weeks ago. So either two totally separate people are making up the exact same story, or maybe just maybe there is a little something to it.

I'm not saying it definitely happened, but between two people reporting it and Manning getting the no-trade clause, it seems like a little more than just some random dude trying to get attention.

BroncoWave
06-23-2015, 09:27 PM
It is possible that the same "source" floated the same story to both guys and maybe he is misinformed, but I have a hard time believing that two different people just made up this story for attention.

BroncoWave
06-23-2015, 09:28 PM
Feigning the "oh, it's late in the day, I don't know if I can get an official comment" tweet was gold. Patrick Smyth's comeback was hilarious.

Like every media person in town couldn't reach Patrick Smyth at any hour of the day...lol.

To be fair, of course anyone involved with the Broncos is going to deny it publicly. It's not like anyone is going to come out on the record and say "Yeah, we tried to trade Peyton".

FanInAZ
06-23-2015, 10:02 PM
Elway: "We'll trade you Manning for Watt straight up. No? Well, it was worth a shot. Forget I mentioned it, in that case."

If the Texans GM did agree to that, he'd be lunched at midfield at half time of the home opener.

In all seriousness, can anyone think of a logical trade of Manning that we could make with anybody. We take a major downgrade at QB, they get a player that's probably a year or 2 away from retirement.

MOtorboat
06-23-2015, 10:08 PM
To be fair, of course anyone involved with the Broncos is going to deny it publicly. It's not like anyone is going to come out on the record and say "Yeah, we tried to trade Peyton".

Right. I'm not disagreeing with that. His little excuse that he might not get ahold of anyone is the funny part to me.

Dapper Dan
06-23-2015, 10:09 PM

So a couple people say it happened and a lot of people say it didn't. Then you have the luxury of throwing out all of the people saying it didn't happen.

VonDoom
06-23-2015, 10:10 PM
If the Texans GM did agree to that, he'd be lunched at midfield at half time of the home opener.

In all seriousness, can anyone think of a logical trade of Manning that we could make with anybody. We take a major downgrade at QB, they get a player that's probably a year or 2 away from retirement.

Obviously, I was joking. I can't see what fair value would be for Manning at this point

Dapper Dan
06-23-2015, 10:10 PM
Obviously, I was joking. I can't see what fair value would be for Manning at this point

Lol. Don't tell people you're joking. Say you have sources.

Denver Native (Carol)
06-23-2015, 10:11 PM
If this really happened, someone, or everyone locally would have been all over it.

Vic Lombardi ‏@VicLombardi 3h

Did some digging on the Peyton story. According to my sources, the Broncos never tried to trade him. Certainly tried to cut more salary.

Denver Native (Carol)
06-23-2015, 10:16 PM
Mike Klis ‏@MikeKlis 2h

Broncos GM John Elway text to me on Peyton Manning rumored trade proposal to Houston Texans: "Not true." #9News #9Sports

Mike Klis retweeted
John McClain ‏@McClain_on_NFL 2h

Sorry this took so long, but I wanted to talk with 3 Texans sources I trust about Manning report. All tell me it's not true.

Mike Klis ‏@MikeKlis 2h

Tom Condon would be involved if there was proposed Peyton Manning deal because contract would have to be re-negotiated for deal to happen

Mike Klis ‏@MikeKlis 2h

Tom Condon, Peyton Manning's agent, to 9News: "I've never spoken to Denver or Houston regarding a PM trade." #9News #9Sports

Mike Klis ‏@MikeKlis 2h

Let's get this straight: Guy who's radio station is no longer on air reports Peyton Manning trade to Houston. And it spreads. What a biz.

Mike Klis ‏@MikeKlis 3h

When Broncos were negotiating Peyton Manning paycut, I'm sure all kinds of things were said. But Manning was never going anywhere. #9News

FanInAZ
06-23-2015, 10:32 PM

I know you were joking. Actually, you beat me to the punch.

FanInAZ
06-23-2015, 10:34 PM
Lol. Don't tell people you're joking. Say you have sources.

My sources are better then his sources. :nod:

Davii
06-23-2015, 10:47 PM
Mike Klis ‏@MikeKlis 2h

Broncos GM John Elway text to me on Peyton Manning rumored trade proposal to Houston Texans: "Not true." #9News #9Sports

Mike Klis retweeted
John McClain ‏@McClain_on_NFL 2h

Mike Klis ‏@MikeKlis 2h

Mike Klis ‏@MikeKlis 2h

Mike Klis ‏@MikeKlis 2h

Mike Klis ‏@MikeKlis 3h

When Broncos were negotiating Peyton Manning paycut, I'm sure all kinds of things were said. But Manning was never going anywhere. #9News

All this above....

If there were even a minute shred of truth to this more people would know. Look at the Cutler trade, that blew up when McDouchsickle lied about it. You really think the organization would let that happen? You really think it wouldn't be 10000x the story the Cutler trade fiasco was?

Come on, be serious.

tomjonesrocks
06-23-2015, 10:54 PM
Mike Klis ‏@MikeKlis 2h Broncos GM John Elway text to me on Peyton Manning rumored trade proposal to Houston Texans: "Not true." #9News #9Sports Mike Klis retweeted John McClain ‏@McClain_on_NFL 2h Sorry this took so long, but I wanted to talk with 3 Texans sources I trust about Manning report. All tell me it's not true. Mike Klis ‏@MikeKlis 2h Tom Condon would be involved if there was proposed Peyton Manning deal because contract would have to be re-negotiated for deal to happen Mike Klis ‏@MikeKlis 2h Tom Condon, Peyton Manning's agent, to 9News: "I've never spoken to Denver or Houston regarding a PM trade." #9News #9Sports Mike Klis ‏@MikeKlis 2h Let's get this straight: Guy who's radio station is no longer on air reports Peyton Manning trade to Houston. And it spreads. What a biz. Mike Klis ‏@MikeKlis 3h When Broncos were negotiating Peyton Manning paycut, I'm sure all kinds of things were said. But Manning was never going anywhere. #9News

Good.

The cut salary thing was bold enough. Elway apparently is a cold businessman. This would be a potential mess.

sneakers
06-23-2015, 11:28 PM
digging for some offseason stories

topscribe
06-24-2015, 12:16 AM
It is possible that the same "source" floated the same story to both guys and maybe he is misinformed, but I have a hard time believing that two different people just made up this story for attention.I give Allbright the benefit of the doubt that he was sincere at the time. I just think he didn't cover all the bases.

underrated29
06-24-2015, 12:40 AM
I posted this at the mane, but the official site has a thread on this from like 2 months ago....why it's just now making rounds is stupid and lends to the likelihood of it being false

BroncoWave
06-24-2015, 07:39 AM
So a couple people say it happened and a lot of people say it didn't. Then you have the luxury of throwing out all of the people saying it didn't happen.

My only point is that of course everyone involved with the Broncos is going to deny it now. That doesn't mean they are lying, but they're going to deny it either way. The next time a team doesn't deny the story across the board when a story like this arises will be the first.

MasterShake
06-24-2015, 08:31 AM
As much scrutiny as there was during that whole time frame with the rumblings of pay cuts and whether or not Manning was going to retire, I'm sure someone with much better sources would have gotten wind of a story that big at the time. They may have entertained a phone call or two but I doubt they ever considered ever trading Manning. The focus always seemed to be the paycut.

BroncoWave
06-24-2015, 08:36 AM
As much scrutiny as there was during that whole time frame with the rumblings of pay cuts and whether or not Manning was going to retire, I'm sure someone with much better sources would have gotten wind of a story that big at the time. They may have entertained a phone call or two but I doubt they ever considered ever trading Manning. The focus always seemed to be the paycut.

And it could be something just as simple as that. Houston called sniffing around, and maybe it was entertained for a second, but no serious talks ever emerged. And even something as small as that would be enough to validate the guy's story.

I still stick to the point that unless Manning thought there was a non-zero chance of a trade, he doesn't ask for a no-trade clause.

OrangeHoof
06-24-2015, 08:43 AM
The Texans have never been even remotely close to having the cap room to squeeze a Peyton Manning salary into their salary cap so any discussions (if there ever were any) could not have gone very far. To make it work (between Jan-Mar '15), the Broncos would have had to agree to take Andre Johnson and Arian Foster or Duane Brown (no chance they trade J.J. Watt) so Peyton would have shown up in Houston with no weapons or no protection.

IOW, it would have been unworkable for the Texans and not very workable either for the Broncos.

Northman
06-24-2015, 08:57 AM
The Broncos and Mannings agent have denied this entirely.

Northman
06-24-2015, 09:08 AM

I thought that was hilarious too.

ShaneFalco
06-24-2015, 09:33 AM
tebow tebow tebow

SR
06-24-2015, 09:42 AM
tebow tebow tebow

Third string, third string, third string

Buff
06-24-2015, 09:56 AM
Regardless of whether it's true or not - I actually think the rumor is a positive development. PFM basically got to run the team for 3 years, and dictate free agency decisions, and call the offense, and basically do whatever he wanted...

Now his pay has been cut, his ego has been diminished and I'd think he's probably been humbled just a tad. He should be able to focus more on being just another teammate, playing with a chip on his shoulder as a bit of an underdog instead of the front runner with all of the expectations and leadership burden squarely on him.

SoCalImport
06-24-2015, 10:14 AM
Non-issue

FanInAZ
06-24-2015, 10:26 AM
tebow tebow tebow

I think our punt protection is just fine, maybe your Rams ST can use him.

Cugel
06-24-2015, 02:12 PM
On the other side of the token, Vic and Mason are both saying their sources say there is no truth to this rumor.

Clearly this is total B.S. Why would Peyton agree to be traded to a new team for his final season? It makes zero sense that he would permit a trade. He could just retire instead.

According to Forbes magazine, he's got over $115 million, so the money means nothing to him. He's got a SB ring and played in 3 SBs. He's been on the All-Pro team many times. He's set all the passing records. He's really got nothing left to prove. He's still playing because he wants one last chance at a SB ring. But, getting traded in his last season? No way he'd agree to that.

During the negotiations over his contract renewal, Peyton reportedly wanted to know that the Broncos really wanted him, and was questioning how he would fit into the new offense before he would commit to coming back for a new season.

If he didn't like the answers, he wasn't going to sign a new contract, and he could just walk away, as he clearly considered doing after the season.

Of course, the Broncos might have tried to trade him anyway, but Peyton would have to agree to a new contract with the new team, so he had total leverage. The team might be able to recover a portion of his signing bonus if he refused to report after a trade, as the Dolphins did with Jake Plummer, but a few million $ for Peyton is pocket change.

All in all, these rumors have been denied by the Broncos, have been denied by virtually everybody, and are clearly absurd on their face.

Peyton would have no incentive to agree to a trade, and without his consent, no trade could be completed.

Then there's Brock Osweiler. It would be insane for the Broncos to rush to the Brock Osweiler era when it's obvious they don't think he's anything special.

If they DID think Brock was their Franchise QB of the Future, they would have let Peyton retire and started the Osweiler era. The fact they didn't do that proves that, while they are going to give Brock the inside track for a starting job next season, they don't believe they have the next Aaron Rogers waiting in the wings. If they did he would be starting this season.

Cugel
06-24-2015, 02:18 PM
The Texans have never been even remotely close to having the cap room to squeeze a Peyton Manning salary into their salary cap so any discussions (if there ever were any) could not have gone very far. To make it work (between Jan-Mar '15), the Broncos would have had to agree to take Andre Johnson and Arian Foster or Duane Brown (no chance they trade J.J. Watt) so Peyton would have shown up in Houston with no weapons or no protection.

IOW, it would have been unworkable for the Texans and not very workable either for the Broncos.

All arguments about compensation fail for the simple reason that Peyton doesn't want to be traded and could simply retire if the team tried to trade him. He CHOSE the Broncos out of at least 10 teams engaged in a bidding war to sign him as a FA. Why would he let the team dictate his fate now?

He was carefully considering retirement after the season. He had multiple talks with John Elway and Kubiak before he would agree to re-do his contract. And Elway stated publicly that it was a "feeling out" process between Peyton and the team as to whether the team really wanted him back, and what his role would be exactly in the new offense.

In short, the Broncos had to SELL PEYTON on coming back for one more year, demonstrate to him that they really wanted him back, and agree on contract terms. It was NOT a given that he would return this season.

So, how could the team convince Peyton to report to a new team after trading him?

BroncoWave
06-24-2015, 02:56 PM
A ratio station in Houston is now reporting it as well. Are they making it up too?

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2015/06/24/new-report-calls-broncos-texans-talks-about-manning-very-preliminary/

BroncoJoe
06-24-2015, 03:06 PM
Clearly this is total B.S. Why would Peyton agree to be traded to a new team for his final season? It makes zero sense that he would permit a trade. He could just retire instead.

According to Forbes magazine, he's got over $115 million, so the money means nothing to him. He's got a SB ring and played in 3 SBs. He's been on the All-Pro team many times. He's set all the passing records. He's really got nothing left to prove. He's still playing because he wants one last chance at a SB ring. But, getting traded in his last season? No way he'd agree to that.

During the negotiations over his contract renewal, Peyton reportedly wanted to know that the Broncos really wanted him, and was questioning how he would fit into the new offense before he would commit to coming back for a new season.

If he didn't like the answers, he wasn't going to sign a new contract, and he could just walk away, as he clearly considered doing after the season.

Of course, the Broncos might have tried to trade him anyway, but Peyton would have to agree to a new contract with the new team, so he had total leverage. The team might be able to recover a portion of his signing bonus if he refused to report after a trade, as the Dolphins did with Jake Plummer, but a few million $ for Peyton is pocket change.

All in all, these rumors have been denied by the Broncos, have been denied by virtually everybody, and are clearly absurd on their face.

Peyton would have no incentive to agree to a trade, and without his consent, no trade could be completed.

Then there's Brock Osweiler. It would be insane for the Broncos to rush to the Brock Osweiler era when it's obvious they don't think he's anything special.

If they DID think Brock was their Franchise QB of the Future, they would have let Peyton retire and started the Osweiler era. The fact they didn't do that proves that, while they are going to give Brock the inside track for a starting job next season, they don't believe they have the next Aaron Rogers waiting in the wings. If they did he would be starting this season.

All arguments about compensation fail for the simple reason that Peyton doesn't want to be traded and could simply retire if the team tried to trade him. He CHOSE the Broncos out of at least 10 teams engaged in a bidding war to sign him as a FA. Why would he let the team dictate his fate now?

He was carefully considering retirement after the season. He had multiple talks with John Elway and Kubiak before he would agree to re-do his contract. And Elway stated publicly that it was a "feeling out" process between Peyton and the team as to whether the team really wanted him back, and what his role would be exactly in the new offense.

In short, the Broncos had to SELL PEYTON on coming back for one more year, demonstrate to him that they really wanted him back, and agree on contract terms. It was NOT a given that he would return this season.

So, how could the team convince Peyton to report to a new team after trading him?

You have a great imagination.

Buff
06-24-2015, 03:13 PM

You are naive to think that Manning isn't money motivated. He would have accepted a trade and collected his $20 million if we would have traded him to Jacksonville or Oakland. Granted, if the receiving team demanded a restructured contract then that might have changed things... But this idea that Manning would be content to hang it up just goes against everything we know about the guy.

Northman
06-24-2015, 03:17 PM
A ratio station in Houston is now reporting it as well. Are they making it up too?

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2015/06/24/new-report-calls-broncos-texans-talks-about-manning-very-preliminary/

The link states they have no idea what the truth is and they are only going on earlier reports from somewhere else. Basically, they are rehashing information from before but its already been squashed by the club and Manning's agent. I mean seriously? You are going to believe some random joe over the organization?

BroncoJoe
06-24-2015, 03:18 PM
The link states they have no idea what the truth is and they are only going on earlier reports from somewhere else. Basically, they are rehashing information from before but its already been squashed by the club and Manning's agent. I mean seriously? You are going to believe some random joe over the organization?

Please do not use my name in that manner. tia.

Joe's are typically very reliable.

Timmy!
06-24-2015, 03:19 PM
http://i0.kym-cdn.com/entries/icons/original/000/004/866/YallN1ggazPostinInATrollThread.jpg

Northman
06-24-2015, 03:21 PM
http://i0.kym-cdn.com/entries/icons/original/000/004/866/YallN1ggazPostinInATrollThread.jpg

This is a very sensitive time right now Timmeh, could you please refrain from labels? K thx....

lol

Timmy!
06-24-2015, 03:24 PM
This is a very sensitive time right now Timmeh, could you please refrain from labels? K thx....

lol

Sorry. My sources had read a link from some sources a couple weeks ago who shared something on twitter that somebody had instagrammed from their Facebook group on pintrest that they had heard on a podcast.

Denver Native (Carol)
06-24-2015, 03:25 PM
My only point is that of course everyone involved with the Broncos is going to deny it now. That doesn't mean they are lying, but they're going to deny it either way. The next time a team doesn't deny the story across the board when a story like this arises will be the first.

Mike Klis retweeted
John McClain ‏@McClain_on_NFL 19h19 hours ago

203 retweets 103 favorites
Mike Klis ‏@MikeKlis 19h19 hours ago

13 retweets 5 favorites

It's not ONLY the Broncos denying this - Peyton's agent and Houston are ALSO. Klis has a lot more about this on his twitter

BroncoJoe
06-24-2015, 03:27 PM
I don't see why Condon would be involved in the early stages of trade talk. His input is moot at that point, IMO. The two teams first have to have some kind of plan in place before involving the agent.

Northman
06-24-2015, 03:28 PM
Mike Klis retweeted
John McClain ‏@McClain_on_NFL 19h19 hours ago

203 retweets 103 favorites

13 retweets 5 favorites

It's not ONLY the Broncos denying this - Peyton's agent and Houston are ALSO. Klis has a lot more about this on his twitter

This cant be true. John McClain is just a New York Cop.

BroncoWave
06-24-2015, 03:33 PM
So two totally different sources, one from Houston and one from Denver, are just making this all up. Got it.

Buff
06-24-2015, 03:33 PM
This cant be true. John McClain is just a New York Cop.

Yippee Ki Yay Mother ******

BroncoWave
06-24-2015, 03:35 PM

Not trolling at all. Thought this was an interestingb story. There has certainly been some trolling in this thread but none of it done by me.

BroncoWave
06-24-2015, 03:39 PM
Here is the article from the Houston source. They were not just regurgitating the Denver report, the source they claim is from the Texans side.

BroncoJoe
06-24-2015, 03:42 PM
BTB, I think the point is the story originated somewhere, and other news outlets are trying to run with it. From all accounts, it's false.

Personally, I wouldn't shed a tear if Manning either retired or we traded him. Unlike Cugel, I believe the Broncos have 100% confidence in Brock.

Northman
06-24-2015, 03:44 PM
the source they claim is from the texans side.

boom!

VonDoom
06-24-2015, 03:46 PM
Ian Rapoport called into Rich Eisen's show today to discuss this. I put Rapoport right up there with Schefter in terms of reliability, so I was very interested in what he had to say. His impression is that the Texans were the ones who had reached out to numerous teams, including the Broncos, about the possibility of acquiring a QB. Nothing ever came of it, they signed Hoyer and Mallett and everyone moved on. So it was not the Broncos "trying to trade Manning" which has been the way most of the headlines have read since last night. This also explains why the Texans have no comment but everyone else is denying it - Manning was NOT available, per the Broncos, so their denial makes sense as well.

http://www.nfl.com/videos/denver-broncos/0ap3000000498617/RES-Rapoport-on-Manning-trade-rumors-Not-how-it-went-down

BroncoJoe
06-24-2015, 03:49 PM
Ian Rapoport called into Rich Eisen's show today to discuss this. I put Rapoport right up there with Schefter in terms of reliability, so I was very interested in what he had to say. His impression is that the Texans were the ones who had reached out to numerous teams, including the Broncos, about the possibility of acquiring a QB. Nothing ever came of it, they signed Hoyer and Mallett and everyone moved on. So it was not the Broncos "trying to trade Manning" which has been the way most of the headlines have read since last night. This also explains why the Texans have no comment but everyone else is denying it - Manning was NOT available, per the Broncos, so their denial makes sense as well.

http://www.nfl.com/videos/denver-broncos/0ap3000000498617/RES-Rapoport-on-Manning-trade-rumors-Not-how-it-went-down

Ah - the old "they called me" scenario!

(long live Josh McDaniels!!)

VonDoom
06-24-2015, 03:51 PM
Ah - the old "they called me" scenario!

(long live Josh McDaniels!!)

Right, and Allbright is acting like a dick on Twitter about the whole thing. His line was "Broncos explored the possibility of trading Manning", which is obviously going to generate headlines. If Rapoport is correct, it was the other way around, which makes more sense to me and isn't as much of a story as the Texans were in search of a QB and sought out numerous teams. Nothing to see here.

Buff
06-24-2015, 03:52 PM

I put Ian Rapoport in the same category as Cecil Lammey and take serious offense to you comparing him to the Great Adam Schefter.

VonDoom
06-24-2015, 03:55 PM
I put Ian Rapoport in the same category as Cecil Lammey and take serious offense to you comparing him to the Great Adam Schefter.

How dare you, sir!

BroncoWave
06-24-2015, 04:40 PM
At the very least, there are enough people chiming in to suggest that some sort of talks transpired, albeit very preliminary. Who called whom might still be up for debate, but it seems pretty clear at this point that at least SOMETHING was discussed at least briefly.

I will admit it makes it less of a story if it was just Houston calling around and Denver said thanks but no thanks. But I still believe that Manning asking for the no trade clause means that, at least in his mind, there was a chance Denver could try to deal him.

NightTrainLayne
06-24-2015, 05:17 PM
At the very least, there are enough people chiming in to suggest that some sort of talks transpired, albeit very preliminary. Who called whom might still be up for debate, but it seems pretty clear at this point that at least SOMETHING was discussed at least briefly.

I will admit it makes it less of a story if it was just Houston calling around and Denver said thanks but no thanks. But I still believe that Manning asking for the no trade clause means that, at least in his mind, there was a chance Denver could try to deal him.

Good grief. It doesn't make it less of a story if it was just Houston calling around and Denver said no thanks. . . It makes it NO story.

DenBronx
06-24-2015, 05:51 PM
Broncos considered all options before Manning restructured. Had Manning not restructured then I believe the Broncos would have looked into trading Manning. Didn't get to that because we all know what went down, Manning took 4 mill less and everyone ended up happy.

Business side is sometimes ugly and there are things the public never needs to know.

Moving on to the season. Future still looks bright Bronco fans.

silkamilkamonico
06-24-2015, 09:07 PM
I think this adds to the excitement of the offseason.

ELway and company wanted Manning back, so they could try and trade him, only to have it fall through, to have their PR do a great job with damage control. WE have an aging QB, in a new system, with no offensive line. I will enjoy how to see how the next season plays out.

dogfish
06-24-2015, 09:24 PM
lol! dumb shit is dumb. . .

BroncoWave
06-24-2015, 09:34 PM
lol! dumb shit is dumb. . .

Find a different ****ing thread to post in then.

TXBRONC
06-24-2015, 10:03 PM
Find a different ****ing thread to post in then.

Don't take it so personally. Dog isn't calling you a dumb shit I'm pretty sure he's calling the report dumb shit.

BroncoWave
06-24-2015, 10:05 PM
Don't take it so personally. Dog isn't calling you a dumb shit I'm pretty sure he's calling the report dumb shit.

This isn't something that's just about this thread. Dog has seemed to have taking a liking to trolling me in basically every football thread I start/post in lately.

dogfish
06-24-2015, 10:08 PM
good lord, i was calling the report dumb. . . i didn't quote you or anything. . . hadn't even looked at who posted it. . .

BroncoWave
06-24-2015, 10:14 PM
good lord, i was calling the report dumb. . . i didn't quote you or anything. . . hadn't even looked at who posted it. . .

Sure.

TXBRONC
06-24-2015, 10:17 PM
This isn't something that's just about this thread. Dog has seemed to have taking a liking to trolling me in basically every football thread I start/post in lately.

I can't say I've notice anything like and would I imagine frequent at the very least the majority same threads. Anyway, it still looks to me like his comments were directed at the article and not at you.

dogfish
06-25-2015, 12:12 AM
Sure.

lol. . . paranoid much?

if i'd been taking a shot at you, it would be obvious. . . i'm not shy with that shit. . .

anyway, carry on. . .

Dzone
06-25-2015, 12:27 AM
lmao

Valar Morghulis
06-25-2015, 07:36 AM
http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000498670/article/peyton-manning-was-never-on-broncos-trade-block

Texans called Broncos.

Non story.

OrangeHoof
06-25-2015, 09:25 AM
The Broncos and Mannings agent have denied this entirely.

Since neither has anything to gain by confirming it is true. It's water under the bridge now and confirming it was true (even if it probably wasn't) can only agitate the relationship between team and quarterback.

Northman
06-25-2015, 09:31 AM
Since neither has anything to gain by confirming it is true. It's water under the bridge now and confirming it was true (even if it probably wasn't) can only agitate the relationship between team and quarterback.

Point was, if Elway and company were going to trade Manning they would of just done it. Does anyone really think that a guy like Elway who fired a winning HC would be shy about cutting ties with a HOF QB? I dont think so. If Denver had sought a trade they would of simply said so. lol

TXBRONC
06-25-2015, 10:07 AM

That's more of a cynical way of looking at it. Sure that teams will deny things that prove to be true. However, that not always the case. Sometimes reporters jump on bad information report it right and sometime they put things a certain way so that it sounds that story more appealing.

Al Wilson 4 Mayor
06-25-2015, 10:22 AM
It would have been negligent for the Texans not to call the Broncos.

TXBRONC
06-25-2015, 10:35 AM
It would have been negligent for the Texans not to call the Broncos.

I disagree. If the Texans had decided to not to talk with Broncos at that wouldn't have necessarily made them negligent. What if their cap situation was such that asking would have been just huge waste of time. Or what if they had decided that while might that the money sign a player of Manning's caliber yet decided the of having as the starting quarterback is just way to small.

Al Wilson 4 Mayor
06-25-2015, 10:40 AM
I disagree. If the Texans had decided to not to talk with Broncos at that wouldn't have necessarily made them negligent.

The Texans desperately need a QB. It was clear there was turmoil in Dove Valley this offseason, including the status of Manning. It's the job of the Texan's GM to explore all options. He can't know what those options are if he doesn't put feelers out there.

TXBRONC
06-25-2015, 11:20 AM
The Texans desperately need a QB. It was clear there was turmoil in Dove Valley this offseason, including the status of Manning. It's the job of the Texan's GM to explore all options. He can't know what those options are if he doesn't put feelers out there.

His job is make good sound decisions that doesn't mean he had to come to the Broncos to do that.

BroncoWave
06-25-2015, 11:53 AM
Point was, if Elway and company were going to trade Manning they would of just done it. Does anyone really think that a guy like Elway who fired a winning HC would be shy about cutting ties with a HOF QB? I dont think so. If Denver had sought a trade they would of simply said so. lol

Had Denver sought a trade but failed, they absolutely would not have said so through the media. Come on man.

BroncoWave
06-25-2015, 11:56 AM
That's more of a cynical way of looking at it. Sure that teams will deny things that prove to be true. However, that not always the case. Sometimes reporters jump on bad information report it right and sometime they put things a certain way so that it sounds that story more appealing.

It's not being cynical, it's just the truth. Teams are always gonna deny reports like this. That's just how it works. That's not too say they are definitely lying, but given that denial is just the stock response to this, it's impossible to give it any weight.

Buff
06-25-2015, 11:58 AM
The biggest takeaway here is that John MF'ing Elway is beholden to no one. Ain't no Kobe Bryant sweetheart deals being given out for past performance in Dove Valley.

Valar Morghulis
06-25-2015, 11:58 AM
The biggest takeaway here is that John MF'ing Elway is beholden to no one. Ain't no Kobe Bryant sweetheart deals being given out for past performance in Dove Valley.

I love that about things now.

BroncoWave
06-25-2015, 11:59 AM

I really like that they are making him sit out practice sessions to let Brock get more reps. I'm sure Manning hates it, but it's what's best for the team.

BroncoJoe
06-25-2015, 12:00 PM
I really like that they are making him sit out practice sessions to let Brock get more reps. I'm sure Manning hates it, but it's what's best for the team.

#teamfirst

TXBRONC
06-25-2015, 12:01 PM
It's not being cynical, it's just the truth. Teams are always gonna deny reports like this. That's just how it works. That's not too say they are definitely lying, but given that denial is just the stock response to this, it's impossible to give it any weight.

Reporter always stand by their stories even they are wrong or misleading. He wouldn't be the first reporter to say something that wasn't exactly true.

Northman
06-25-2015, 12:05 PM
Had Denver sought a trade but failed, they absolutely would not have said so through the media. Come on man.

If Denver had sought out a trade they would of made it public, they would not hide it. Come on man.

Valar Morghulis
06-25-2015, 12:12 PM
#teamfirst

That's the most sensible thing you have said in days

BroncoWave
06-25-2015, 12:14 PM
Reporter always stand by their stories even they are wrong or misleading. He wouldn't be the first reporter to say something that wasn't exactly true.

That's not the point we're making. Yes the reporter may have a wrong story, but a team denial is no proof because they would deny it either way.

BroncoWave
06-25-2015, 12:15 PM
If Denver had sought out a trade they would of made it public, they would not hide it. Come on man.

What purpose would it serve Denver to announce they tried and failed to trade Manning?

TXBRONC
06-25-2015, 12:17 PM
That's not the point we're making. Yes the reporter may have a wrong story, but a team denial is no proof because they would deny it either way.

That is not necessarily true that they would deny it either way.

Valar Morghulis
06-25-2015, 12:18 PM
What purpose would it serve Denver to announce they tried and failed to trade Manning?

Better bargaining when renegotiating his salary?

Because elway is the second coming?

Because obama?

Northman
06-25-2015, 12:18 PM

Its not about announcing they failed to trade him. If Manning was on the trading block they would of simply said so. It baffles me that you of all people think that Elway who had no problem firing a winning HC, letting a talented TE in JT walk, allow one of our best DT's walk would think they would actually try and secretly trade Manning with only one possible team? Dude, this isnt Josh McDaniels here. lol

BroncoWave
06-25-2015, 12:19 PM
That is not necessarily true.

Again, what purpose would it possibly serve Denver to say they tried to trade Manning? All that does is unnecessarily piss off your star player.

BroncoWave
06-25-2015, 12:20 PM
Its not about announcing they failed to trade him. If Manning was on the trading block they would of simply said so. It baffles me that you of all people think that Elway who had no problem firing a winning HC, letting a talented TE in JT walk, allow one of our best DT's walk would think they would actually try and secretly trade Manning with only one possible team? Dude, this isnt Josh McDaniels here. lol

Dude,teams never announce to the media who they are trying to trade. It lowers a guy's value when teams know you are trying to dump someone. Sometimes I wonder how closely you really follow football.

Valar Morghulis
06-25-2015, 12:20 PM

He did declare Tebow as our starter whilst working to get manning.

I love elway but I think he will do what needs to be done, including saying one thing but doing another.

Northman
06-25-2015, 12:22 PM
Dude,teams never announce to the media who they are trying to trade. It lowers a guy's value when teams know you are trying to dump someone. Sometimes I wonder how closely you really follow football.

You mean like when SF announced they were willing to trade Kap? lmao

TXBRONC
06-25-2015, 12:23 PM
Again, what purpose would it possibly serve Denver to say they tried to trade Manning? All that does is unnecessarily piss off your star player.

Dave stated one reason why. That aside there doesn't any proof whatsoever that Denver sought a trade.

Northman
06-25-2015, 12:24 PM
He did declare Tebow as our starter whilst working to get manning.

I love elway but I think he will do what needs to be done, including saying one thing but doing another.

Tebow was announced the starter before Manning even became available. If Manning had never hit the market Tebow would of still been here but i dont recall Tebow being crowned the starter while Denver was in negotiations. If you have an article that states otherwise please pull it up but im pretty positive that Tebow was announced long before Manning even became available via FA.

*Edit*

Also, Denver had to have a starter in place in case the Manning signing fell through. Even teams like SF, Tenn, etc had starters in place while pursuing Manning.

Valar Morghulis
06-25-2015, 12:25 PM
Dave stated one reason why. That aside there doesn't any proof whatsoever that Denver sought a trade.

Was it Obama?

Valar Morghulis
06-25-2015, 12:27 PM
Tebow was announced the starter before Manning even became available. If Manning had never hit the market Tebow would of still been here but i dont recall Tebow being crowned the starter while Denver was in negotiations. If you have an article that states otherwise please pull it up but im pretty positive that Tebow was announced long before Manning even became available via FA.

I won't argue - because I think you may be right.

But no way elway keeps Tebow for three years if manning never hit the market.

Northman
06-25-2015, 12:28 PM

But no way elway keeps Tebow for three years if manning never hit the market.

Im not saying he keeps Tebow that long. If Manning had never come to Denver im not even sure Tebow starts or finishes that season depending on who they either drafted or picked up in FA. Teebs was never the long term plan regardless.

TXBRONC
06-25-2015, 12:29 PM
Was it Obama?

No you goof. You stated negotiating leverage.

http://www.broncosforums.com/forums/showthread.php/599110-PFT-Report-Broncos-tried-to-trade-Manning-to-Texans-this-offseason/page7 post #98

BroncoJoe
06-25-2015, 03:51 PM
That's the most sensible thing you have said in days

You are really starting to get on my nerves.

OrangeHoof
06-25-2015, 06:50 PM

What on earth for? Let's say the Patriots respond to feelers to trade Tom Brady because they are so in love with Garrapolo that they want him to take over for the old man but, as fate has it, Belichick gets no workable deal and decide to keep him. You think Belichick would admit to the media he even *tried* to trade him? Did you learn NOTHING from the McDaniels-Cutler situation? If you try to trade a team leader and fail, it can poison the locker room with some standing with the team and others standing with the quarterback. Bad mojo.

Elway is smart enough to deny a lot of things that may be true but serve no purpose being in the media, such as Manning's injury troubles last season.

BroncoWave
06-25-2015, 06:53 PM
What on earth for? Let's say the Patriots respond to feelers to trade Tom Brady because they are so in love with Garrapolo that they want him to take over for the old man but, as fate has it, Belichick gets no workable deal and decide to keep him. You think Belichick would admit to the media he even *tried* to trade him? Did you learn NOTHING from the McDaniels-Cutler situation? If you try to trade a team leader and fail, it can poison the locker room with some standing with the team and others standing with the quarterback. Bad mojo.

Elway is smart enough to deny a lot of things that may be true but serve no purpose being in the media, such as Manning's injury troubles last season.

For real, though. It's straight up crazy talk to suggest that there would be any positive in Denver letting the media know anything about them shopping Manning if that were indeed true.

Al Wilson 4 Mayor
06-25-2015, 08:37 PM

Word.

Al Wilson 4 Mayor
06-25-2015, 08:40 PM
His job is make good sound decisions that doesn't mean he had to come to the Broncos to do that.

If there was a 1 in 100 chance Manning could be landed and he didn't take 3 minutes to make a call he would possibly be a bigger dumb ass than I.

Poet
06-25-2015, 08:49 PM
If there was a 1 in 100 chance Manning could be landed and he didn't take 3 minutes to make a call he would possibly be a bigger dumb ass than I.

Exactly. A phone call costs you nothing. Absolutely nothing.

Northman
06-25-2015, 09:54 PM

You answered your own question and went to EXACTLY to what i was getting at. Denver would NOT secretly try to trade Manning because they are just simply not that stupid like McDaniels was. Nothing in John's history has even SHOWN that he would pull a dick move like that. You and Wave are fishing at best to think Denver initiated any kind of trade or even considered it.

Simple Jaded
06-25-2015, 10:13 PM
I don't think this offseason could possibly do anything more to motivate the shit out of Manning than it has so far, I like it, raging bull.

The Broncos should cinch his nuts up real tight before the game like they do in bull riding shows, maybe jab him in the ass with a taser before each drive.

Al Wilson 4 Mayor
06-25-2015, 11:05 PM
I don't think this offseason could possibly do anything more to motivate the shit out of Manning than it has so far, I like it, raging bull.

The Broncos should cinch his nuts up real tight before the game like they do in bull riding shows, maybe jab him in the ass with a taser before each drive.

I think an Angry Big Bird analogy is more fitting. Raging bulls are pretty explosive.

Cugel
06-26-2015, 01:05 PM
You are naive to think that Manning isn't money motivated. He would have accepted a trade and collected his $20 million if we would have traded him to Jacksonville or Oakland. Granted, if the receiving team demanded a restructured contract then that might have changed things... But this idea that Manning would be content to hang it up just goes against everything we know about the guy.

Most of his money in the future is coming from endorsement deals. He gets nearly $10 million a year just from appearing in commercials. That's not going to just stop if he retires. And that will be on top of whatever he earns by getting a network TV job commenting on Sundays if he wants one.

As for him hanging it up, clearly he doesn't want to, but that doesn't mean he would approve a trade to some other team. He wants to go out on his terms. He may not get that chance if he wants to come back next season and the Broncos don't want him back.

But, his motivation is not just to play, but to have a chance to win the SB. If he was traded to some other team for 1 year there's virtually no chance he could do that. So, why would he accept it? He didn't have to re-do his contract you know.

He could simply have insisted on the team paying him $20 million or cutting him. They would then have had to cut him. He could also have refused to re-do his contract for some other team. That would have forced that team to eat his current contract, and that alone would probably have prevented a trade, if one were contemplated.

I still don't believe that any serious talks could have taken place. What makes anybody think he would be willing to play for some other team?

He's not powerless in this situation like most players are. He doesn't have to accept a trade, so why would he?

I even made a mis-statement in my previous post when I mentioned that the new team could force Peyton to repay some of his signing bonus if he refused to report, like the Dolphins did with Jake Plummer.

They couldn't do that because he wouldn't have had to agree to re-do his contract with the new team, and he got a no-trade clause in his new contract, so the team couldn't sign and then trade him.

No team would agree to pay Peyton $20 million if he didn't want to play for them!

Cugel
06-26-2015, 01:13 PM
Quote Originally Posted by OrangeHoof View Post

The problem that soured relations with Jay Cutler was McMoron telling him that he was looking forward to working with Cutler, and then immediately trying to trade him, and then denying that they had tried to trade him when the whole deal blew sideways, in order to lie to fans and avoid taking responsibility for losing their starting QB and winding up with Kyle Orton.

In short, it was a total cover-up from the start.

If Elway wanted to trade Peyton, the first thing he would have to do would be to find out whether Peyton would agree to a trade. Because, if he would not, then he would not re-do his contract with the new team, and then the deal couldn't happen because the new team couldn't re-sign Peyton to a new contract. Remember that his old one was a series of one-year contracts with the team having an opt-out each year in March.

McMoron didn't have to get Cutler's approval to trade him, because Cutler was 26 years old and still under his rookie deal. Peyton's 39 and scheduled to earn $20 million prior to his re-structure.

Besides, would you pay $20 million to some guy who doesn't want to play for you?

Of course, merely telling Peyton that you want to trade him would make him unhappy and would make it extremely hard to work out a new deal with him. It's hardly likely, no matter what people may be telling the media.

MOtorboat
06-26-2015, 01:27 PM
Well, that's settled then.

Cugel
06-26-2015, 01:58 PM

But no way Elway keeps Tebow for three years if manning never hit the market.

No way Elway keeps Tebow for even 1 year, period. His being penciled in as a tentative starter means nothing. Remember that Elway drafted a QB he "loved" in Brock Osweiler that year.

What would have prevented Elway from drafting Osweiler and signing a veteran FA QB and still shipping Tebow to NY? Of course, all the Tebowites would have howled, but they still did that even after the Broncos got Manning, because they were Tebow fans, not Broncos fans.

And it was pretty clear from the start that Tebow wasn't going to suddenly become a huge star QB in NY, so its not as if Elway was going to be under fire for letting the next Tom Brady get away or something. The Jets were not even going to make Tebow their starting QB, but just wanted him for certain packages in the red-zone.

Whatever one thinks of Osweiler, he's certainly a better QB than Tim Tebow, so there's no way he could have lost a QB contest with Tebow anyway.

Buff
06-26-2015, 02:15 PM
The problem that soured relations with Jay Cutler was McMoron telling him that he was looking forward to working with Cutler, and then immediately trying to trade him, and then denying that they had tried to trade him when the whole deal blew sideways, in order to lie to fans and avoid taking responsibility for losing their starting QB and winding up with Kyle Orton.

In short, it was a total cover-up from the start.

If Elway wanted to trade Peyton, the first thing he would have to do would be to find out whether Peyton would agree to a trade. Because, if he would not, then he would not re-do his contract with the new team, and then the deal couldn't happen because the new team couldn't re-sign Peyton to a new contract. Remember that his old one was a series of one-year contracts with the team having an opt-out each year in March.

McMoron didn't have to get Cutler's approval to trade him, because Cutler was 26 years old and still under his rookie deal. Peyton's 39 and scheduled to earn $20 million prior to his re-structure.

Besides, would you pay $20 million to some guy who doesn't want to play for you?

Of course, merely telling Peyton that you want to trade him would make him unhappy and would make it extremely hard to work out a new deal with him. It's hardly likely, no matter what people may be telling the media.

I didn't correct you when you said it earlier in the thread, but you are promoting this factually incorrect narrative. Elway could have traded Manning without Manning's permission and he would have been under contract with the Texans for two more years.

The no trade clause was not introduced until March of this year, after Manning agreed to the pay reduction. So you are incorrect to suggest that Manning would have needed to approve any trade. He was under contract, with zero no trade clause, and had no leverage in the situation.

Furthermore, I think he would probably rather be playing for $20 million in Texas than $15 million in Denver knowing how money-motivated he is.

Simple Jaded
06-27-2015, 10:05 PM
I think an Angry Big Bird analogy is more fitting. Raging bulls are pretty explosive.

Yeah but you can't cinch a birds nuts up real tight.

dogfish
06-27-2015, 10:24 PM

but can you milk one?

TXBRONC
06-28-2015, 03:11 PM

Have you ever tried?

DenBronx
06-28-2015, 03:31 PM
The only trade that would make sense is if the Broncos traded him to Seattle. I think Manning would accept that deal because they have a defense and a good offense. He wants to win another ring? Well Seattle would give him the best chance.

Now, don't forget Seattle could trade Russell Wilson if they think he is asking too much. It would probably include multiple 1st rounds as well. I personally don't think Wilson is worth more money than Manning but wouldn't mind him here in Denver either. I like the prototypical pocket QB and that's not Wilson but in a Kubiak offense I think he shines.

In the end, I don't believe either team would do that but just speculation. Saw this today so it isn't my idea.

From NBC Sports Talk for Android:

A trade is also possible for Russell Wilson
http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2015/06/28/a-trade-is-also-possible-for-russell-wilson/

BroncoWave
06-28-2015, 03:36 PM
Wilson will re-sign with Seattle. Every team always locks up their young QBs. I would be really, really shocked if they let him go.

Valar Morghulis
06-28-2015, 03:41 PM
We talk about Brady being a product of the system - i think the same is true of Wilson.

I believe him to be a very very good young QB - but the highest paid player in the league is nonsense.

BroncoWave
06-28-2015, 03:47 PM
We talk about Brady being a product of the system - i think the same is true of Wilson.

I believe him to be a very very good young QB - but the highest paid player in the league is nonsense.

Pretty much every QB that gets a new deal becomes the highest paid QB in the league. Whoever signs after Wilson will get more than him, and whoever signs after that guy will get more than him. That's just a product of the salary cap going up every season.

DenBronx
06-28-2015, 03:54 PM

I believe Wilson could fit in any West Coast style offense and not skip a beat. Dude makes plays with his arm and feet, reminds me a little of Steve Young.

I believe Seattle breaks the bank for him.

Northman
06-28-2015, 04:36 PM
Wilson wont be leaving Seattle. Bank on it.

TXBRONC
06-28-2015, 06:28 PM
I believe Wilson could fit in any West Coast style offense and not skip a beat. Dude makes plays with his arm and feet, reminds me a little of Steve Young.

I believe Seattle breaks the bank for him.

I don't think they break the bank for Wilson. The Seahawks will get him re-signed but it won't be an eye popper.

BroncoWave
06-28-2015, 06:32 PM
I don't think they break the bank for Wilson. The Seahawks will get him re-signed but it won't be an eye popper.

Every good young QB gets a huge deal. Wilson will be no exception.

Poet
06-28-2015, 06:46 PM
He's done enough to warrant a contract that is more 'permanent' than Dalton's or Kaepernick's. But he's not really a top flight quarterback. That probably doesn't matter because he's still pretty good and as BW said, young QB's who are just good get huge deals.

TXBRONC
06-28-2015, 06:53 PM
Every good young QB gets a huge deal. Wilson will be no exception.

I didn't say he wouldn't a new contract. I'm saying I don't think he'll get one of the kind of contract that just blows yours mind.

BroncoWave
06-28-2015, 06:56 PM
I didn't say he wouldn't a new contract. I'm saying I don't think he'll get one of the kind of contract that just blows yours mind.

He will get at least 20 mil a year.

Poet
06-28-2015, 06:59 PM
He will get at least 20 mil a year.

I think that he gets that kind of money. I also think a contract like the one that TX is talking about is more commensurate with Wilson's skills.

BroncoWave
06-28-2015, 07:23 PM
I think that he gets that kind of money. I also think a contract like the one that TX is talking about is more commensurate with Wilson's skills.

Probably, but QB contracts just don't work that way in today's NFL. Some team will always be willing to give a guy top dollar, even if he's not the top guy. So if Seattle doesn't, someone else will.

Poet
06-28-2015, 07:27 PM
Probably, but QB contracts just don't work that way in today's NFL. Some team will always be willing to give a guy top dollar, even if he's not the top guy. So if Seattle doesn't, someone else will.

Oh, I know. QB's are so pivotal that having one that is excellent at one thing and being otherwise average means they're worth a shit ton of money.

Simple Jaded
06-29-2015, 03:40 PM
but can you milk one?
No, but you can juice them.

Have you ever tried?
Not me personally, but I guy I know. . .

Al Wilson 4 Mayor
06-29-2015, 03:44 PM
Big Bird. I like it.

Simple Jaded
06-29-2015, 04:09 PM
I used to work with a dude we called Big Bird, he was tall and goofy, he used to get food stuck in his beard.

TXBRONC
06-29-2015, 04:22 PM
No, but you can juice them.

Not me personally, but I guy I know. . .

You hang out with someone strange people.