PDA

View Full Version : As OTAs end, Broncos reflect: 'It was a lot different'

Denver Native (Carol)
06-17-2015, 05:44 PM
This is an article from yesterday

DeMarcus Ware believes that Head Coach Gary Kubiak wanted to "come out with a bang" in his first OTA period as Broncos head coach, and he did just that.

ENGLEWOOD, Colo. -- With one more practice left before the end of organized team activities, tight end Virgil Green and outside linebacker DeMarcus Ware paused to reflect Tuesday just before the Taste of the Broncos got under way at Sports Authority Field at Mile High.

The work was unlike any they'd ever experienced in their previous offseasons.
"I think it was a lot different," said Green, who went through three full offseason programs with the Broncos before Gary Kubiak took the head-coaching reins this year. "Coach Kubiak runs the team in a different way. He strives for perfection. He wants us to finish everything we do, and I think the guys have done a great job of responding."

AND

It was lighter when you think about time, because usually OTAs and [minicamp] are about an hour and 15, an hour and 30 minutes," Ware said. "You're continually going through each session -- if it's red zone, if it's short yardage.

"But now, he [Kubiak] is coming out with a bang, having practice that's about 30 or 40 minutes, and you go through a really intense individual [period]. It's more competition, going against each other and starting fast."

That is a mindset Kubiak wants to sustain, Ware added.

"That's what he wants this team to do: come out every game and start fast," Ware said. "The intensity was there [in practice], but the time limit was shorter."

full article, plus videos
http://www.denverbroncos.com/news-and-blogs/article-1/As-OTAs-end-Broncos-reflect-It-was-a-lot-different/d37eed00-afdb-48e7-a94f-7cc6b47e94ba

VonDoom
06-18-2015, 10:02 AM
I know the sound bites from this time of year are always exceptionally positive (every team thinks they are going to be improved from last year) but I do like reading this stuff about Kubiak. The players are often saying (sometimes in subtle ways, other times more obviously) that Kubiak is more intense than Fox and that he fits the players on this team better. I hope that plays itself out on the field. But Virgil Green's quote above about "finish everything we do" is right in line with Elway's "kicking and screaming" line when Fox was canned. I think for once that everyone is on the same page.

underrated29
06-18-2015, 11:14 AM
I think we are going to be Insanely good. Like run the deck good. And I cannot wait for the defense. Im most excited about it.

SR
06-19-2015, 12:06 AM
I think we are going to be Insanely good. Like run the deck good. And I cannot wait for the defense. Im most excited about it.

I think the defense will be lights out.